PDA

View Full Version : BISON #3 in AGS preseason poll

NDSUFREAK
05-25-2007, 12:15 AM
(admin@anygivensaturday.com)

2007 FCS Preseason AGS Poll Announced

Reigning National Champion Appalachian State landed the top spot garnering 97 first place votes in the preseason AnyGivenSaturday.com (AGS) Poll of the NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) released today. The AGS Poll has been the first released national poll each year since it's inception in 2004.

Following the Mountaineers in the top ten were (in order): Montana, North Dakota State, Youngstown State, Massachusetts, Northern Iowa, New Hampshire, James Madison, Furman and Cal Poly. The full results are listed below.

Only three other teams received first place votes including Montana (16), Massachusetts (1) and Northern Iowa (1).

A total of 24 squads received more than the five points required to receive mention outside of the top 25.

The Colonial Athletic Association, FCS's largest league and the Gateway Football Conference lead the way with four teams in the Top 25; the Big Sky Conference, the Great West Football Conference and the Southern Conference had three each; the Ohio Valley Conference and the Southland Conference had two each; and the Big South Conference, Ivy League, the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference and the Patriot League were each represented with one squad.

The pollsters also named Northern Iowa and Wofford (tie) as the biggest rising teams from 2006 and Montana State as the biggest falling team.

In comparison to other polls, the AGS Poll had as many or more of it's preseason top 25 on it's final regular season poll than either of the other two polls (coaches and media) had on their's the past three years. The AGS Poll also had as many or more of it's preseason top 25 on it's final regular season poll make the playoffs than either of the other two polls the past three years.

AGS is the world's largest online community devoted to all of the FCS. The AGS Poll was created in 2004 to give distinguished members of the AGS community a place to voice their opinion, vote for the top 25 FCS programs in the nation, and provide the media and coaches of FCS a valuable resource to gauge general sentiment.

In order to ensure that the poll is accurate and fair, a committee of AGS veteran members has established guidelines for voter eligibility and accountability. The AGS Poll will be announced weekly throughout the season on Mondays and a final poll will be announced shortly after the National Championship game.

AGS also sponsors the national syndicated CSN WAVES show hosted by Ralph Wallace of College Sporting News that airs Tuesday nights at 8:00 p.m. during the season.

Any Given Saturday Poll Preseason Top 25
(First place votes in parenthesis)
1. Appalachian State (97)
2. Montana (16)
3. North Dakota State
4. Youngstown State
5. Massachusetts (1)
6. Northern Iowa (1)
7. New Hampshire
8. James Madison
9. Furman
10. Cal Poly
11. Illinois State
12. McNeese State
13. Southern Illinois
14. Portland State
15. Hampton
16. Wofford
17. Tennessee-Martin
18. Delaware
19. Eastern Illinois
20. Sam Houston State
21. Montana State
22. South Dakota State
23. Lehigh
24. Coastal Carolina
25. Yale

Others receiving votes (minimum of 5 votes): Towson (61), UC Davis (59), Lafayette (40), Princeton (39), Maine (33), Harvard (26), San Diego (26), South Carolina State (22), Georgia Southern (17), Eastern Kentucky (14), Northern Arizona (14), Richmond (12), Central Arkansas (10), Liberty (10), Northwestern State (8), Western Illinois (8), Delaware State (7), Northeastern (7), Albany (6), Colgate (6), Texas State (6), The Citadel (6), Alabama A&M (5), Jacksonville State (5).

BIGGEST RISING TEAM FROM 2006: Northern Iowa, Wofford (tie)
BIGGEST FALLING TEAM FROM 2006: Montana State

CITE - AGSADMIN. Also on Collegesportingnews.com

BigBison
05-25-2007, 02:31 AM
I actually think we should be a head of Montana we killed Cal Poly and nearly beat MN, which beat Iowa, and Montana got killed by Iowa. I'd sau UMass should be #2.

TransAmBison
05-25-2007, 02:35 AM
However you look at it, it is a lot of respect thrown our way. Nice to reflect back a number of years and see what we've accomplished. For the most part, we were usually highly ranked back in the DII days when the polls came out. It is nice that we've stepped up our game and have carried on the tradition into FCS. Good times. :cheers: and a :bong: for the road!

X-Factor
05-25-2007, 03:51 AM
Using comparative scores from a year ago probably doesn't have a whole lot of bearing on a preseason poll. Northern Iowa, for instance, is an easy preseason top 10 team because they return most of their team last year. (7-4, and lost to UND!)

I am kind of surprised how high Cal Poly turned out in the poll. I guess its good representation for the Great West!

NDSUFREAK
05-25-2007, 04:14 AM
This is just another sign that football is closer and closer everyday! Let's just aim for that #1 ranking sometime this year!

heymch86
05-25-2007, 05:16 AM
I actually think we should be a head of Montana we killed Cal Poly and nearly beat MN, which beat Iowa, and Montana got killed by Iowa. I'd sau UMass should be #2.

I would not be complaining about anything. That's a lot of respect for our team!

WYOBISONMAN
05-25-2007, 01:01 PM
It is kind of funny Montana is rated over the Bison......I doubt that would last very long if the Griz would dare venture from Missoula and play a Non-Con on the road.

TexasTerror
05-25-2007, 01:03 PM
As discussed before on this board and elsewhere...

Only reason that Montana is above NDSU is because Montana has one of the easier schedules in America and NDSU is expected to have some bumps in the road. No doubt if NDSU gets over those 'bumps' whether it be an FBS team, a Cal Poly or my SHSU Bearkats...they could jump Montana.

I had NDSU at second until I saw Montana's OOC and realized that putting the Grizzlies ahead of NDSU was probably the better move at this point in the season as it's argued that you should go by how things are going to finish in the preseason poll instead of where they are now...

imabison
05-25-2007, 02:24 PM

Only reason that Montana is above NDSU is because Montana has one of the easier schedules in America and NDSU is expected to have some bumps in the road. No doubt if NDSU gets over those 'bumps' whether it be an FBS team, a Cal Poly or my SHSU Bearkats...they could jump Montana.

I had NDSU at second until I saw Montana's OOC and realized that putting the Grizzlies ahead of NDSU was probably the better move at this point in the season as it's argued that you should go by how things are going to finish in the preseason poll instead of where they are now...
One thing that everyone has failed to mention is that NDSU is NOT playoff eligible, and the only way it is official going to be #1 or #2 is if we go undefeated and the other schools have losses.

mn-bison
05-25-2007, 03:23 PM
One thing that everyone has failed to mention is that NDSU is NOT playoff eligible, and the only way it is official going to be #1 or #2 is if we go undefeated and the other schools have losses.

Not to put the cart in front of the horse, but if the schools above us do loose and we can run the table this year, my bet is we may be #1 until the playoffs are done, then the champion would replace us at #1...

BigBison
05-25-2007, 08:06 PM
I would not be complaining about anything. That's a lot of respect for our team!

Oh I'm not complaining I'm just saying we should be ahead of Montana I think there over rated. Their like Notre Dame, over rated and its all about the name. But I could be wrong I really dont know much about how many players they got coming back this year.

56BISON73
05-25-2007, 08:45 PM

So you vote where you think they will finish and not who has the better team? Interesting concept and I didnt know it worked that way. PL

Hammersmith
05-25-2007, 08:58 PM
So you vote where you think they will finish and not who has the better team? Interesting concept and I didnt know it worked that way. PL
Ralph and AGS like to promote the fact that the preseason AGS poll is closer to the final poll than either the CSN coaches poll or the TSN media poll. This year, they decided to strengthen the odds by formally asking pollsters to take schedules into account. In the past there was some confusion and some pollsters voted in a "where are they now" mode while others voted in a "where will they be" mode. It will be interesting to see how accurate this year's preseason poll will be.

TexasTerror
05-26-2007, 01:06 AM
Oh I'm not complaining I'm just saying we should be ahead of Montana I think there over rated. Their like Notre Dame, over rated and its all about the name. But I could be wrong I really dont know much about how many players they got coming back this year.

Over-rated or not, they seem to take care of business and go deep into the Division I playoffs yearly...

No_Skill
05-26-2007, 02:16 AM

Soooo what you're saying is that Montana is over-rated, but you have no idea what you're talking about? :confused:

rabidrabbit
05-29-2007, 01:43 PM
It is kind of funny Montana is rated over the Bison......I doubt that would last very long if the Griz would dare venture from Missoula and play a Non-Con on the road.

Yes, it would have been a good test of the Griz to venture to Brookings, and for the Bobcats to have ventured to Fargo rather than sub in D-II home games instead.

Glad both the Bison and Jacks have worked out good tough schedules!

Trim
05-29-2007, 02:35 PM
Ralph and AGS like to promote the fact that the preseason AGS poll is closer to the final poll than either the CSN coaches poll or the TSN media poll. This year, they decided to strengthen the odds by formally asking pollsters to take schedules into account. In the past there was some confusion and some pollsters voted in a "where are they now" mode while others voted in a "where will they be" mode. It will be interesting to see how accurate this year's preseason poll will be.

So once the season starts, do they switch to "where are they now" mode?

Greenie
05-29-2007, 03:58 PM
Bison are preseason #9 according to Lindy's
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=86059

Hammersmith
05-29-2007, 04:31 PM
So once the season starts, do they switch to "where are they now" mode?
You know, I never saw that question asked or answered. I don't know how they do it. I guess it comes down to the judgement of the individual pollster. Here's a link to the discussion thead on the topic. If you read it, you'll see that several of the pollsters disagreed with the preseason-as-end-of-season philosophy.

Preseason AGS Poll-what is it? How the rankings will be when the regular season ends (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23742)

Hammersmith
05-29-2007, 04:54 PM
With preseason rankings like that, it's no wonder that AGS is the most accurate. Okay, 9th is a bit low, but try this: find Cal Poly and UC Davis in the list. Oh wait, you can't, because neither team is ranked. Come on! Cal Poly not in the top 25??? The Bunnies at #10* and the Mustangs unranked. Yeah. Sure.

Want more? McNeese at #4, Wofford at #5, and Liberty, Liberty, ranked at #25. Liberty only got 10 votes for the AGS poll.

Of course now I'm sure I'm going to end up eating my words when Liberty goes on a tear and defeats App State for the NC.

No.

Not in my wildest dreams or nightmares.

*This is not meant to be smack against the Jackrabbits. SDSU deserves a top 25, even a top 15, ranking. But are the Bunnies really 15+ places better than Cal Poly? For that matter, are the Bison? I don't think so.

OldBison
05-29-2007, 05:14 PM

Who the hell votes for Lindy's poll? After the first two, this poll makes very little sense.

NDSUFREAK
05-29-2007, 05:29 PM
Who the hell votes for Lindy's poll? After the first two, this poll makes very little sense.
I think it is just lindy?

X-Factor
05-29-2007, 06:18 PM
Yes, it would have been a good test of the Griz to venture to Brookings, and for the Bobcats to have ventured to Fargo rather than sub in D-II home games instead.

Glad both the Bison and Jacks have worked out good tough schedules!

The last I heard, NDSU and MSU were still trying to get something worked out to get the bobcats to Fargo for a game.

Greenie
05-29-2007, 07:07 PM
The last I heard, NDSU and MSU were still trying to get something worked out to get the bobcats to Fargo for a game.

Taylor and Bohl are deciding whether to add the Bobcats to an already challenging schedule in 2008. It would make sense to add them considering it would be another home game in a season that allows 12 games. It would be nice to have 7 home and 5 road games in 2008. Also, if it came down to it...I would rather see a home game vs. Montana State than a road game at a FBS school in 2008.

Bisonguy
05-29-2007, 08:21 PM
You know, I never saw that question asked or answered. I don't know how they do it. I guess it comes down to the judgement of the individual pollster. Here's a link to the discussion thead on the topic. If you read it, you'll see that several of the pollsters disagreed with the preseason-as-end-of-season philosophy.

Preseason AGS Poll-what is it? How the rankings will be when the regular season ends (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23742)

From PM's in previous year's voting from Ralph, the preseason AGS poll is a "where will they finish", the poll during the season is a "where are they now" poll.

Bisonguy
05-29-2007, 08:24 PM
Lindy's is infamous for being one of the worst FCS polls.

Heck, they're still using the incorrect I-AA designation in the print version for the FCS. :banghead: :banghead:

ralph
05-30-2007, 05:34 AM
From PM's in previous year's voting from Ralph, the preseason AGS poll is a "where will they finish", the poll during the season is a "where are they now" poll.Yep, that's it. One is supposed to look at who the teams play, how they think they will fare with the players they will have and how they think the teams will stack up in the final REGULAR SEASON poll. It really makes no sense to do it any other way. Once the regular season starts and the decisions are made on the field, adjustments are made in the poll.

BTW, Lindy's is just a single person's opinion (all the magazines do that). Same as what any other person could make. It is not a POLL.

SDbison
05-30-2007, 02:59 PM
Taylor and Bohl are deciding whether to add the Bobcats to an already challenging schedule in 2008. It would make sense to add them considering it would be another home game in a season that allows 12 games. It would be nice to have 7 home and 5 road games in 2008. Also, if it came down to it...I would rather see a home game vs. Montana State than a road game at a FBS school in 2008.

I assume we have to travel to Sam Houston in 2008 and have the 4 Gateway road games, correct? A 6 home and 6 away schedule would be OK with me. I still think most fans want an FBS game every year. The exposure, big game atmosphere and payday make it a very important game. Not to mention that FBS is where the Bison are eventually headed (even Joe, Gene and Craig have hinted so). I know some of you want to stay small and have games in Fargo, but the only real division that 95% of college football fans care about is FBS. NDSU needs to be successful in FCS for a few years and then move to the next level. Consistent top ten rankings and playoff appearances in FCS are critical to getting there.

SDbison
05-30-2007, 03:50 PM
Who cares about the polls right now. We all know how good this Bison team is and it really comes down to winning every game of the season, one week and one game at a time. We as fans will get to take in as many games as possible and enjoy the show (tailgating, watching and cheering). Is anyone else growing tired of reading a snippet here and a snippet there waiting for the season to begin? Can we have a practice tailgate party a week or two before the season begins?

TransAmBison
05-30-2007, 06:01 PM
Can we have a practice tailgate party a week or two before the season begins?
:rofl: :rofl: :cheers: :bong: Let me see...I think I'd be ready to start "warming up" by about mid-August. After the twins are born I don't think I can drink Budweiser dry, but I hear they have Sambini working nights! :nod:

SDbison
05-30-2007, 07:28 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :cheers: :bong: Let me see...I think I'd be ready to start "warming up" by about mid-August. After the twins are born I don't think I can drink Budweiser dry, but I hear they have Sambini working nights! :nod:
I will be in Fargo a week or so before the season begins since we will be moving my stepdaughter back to campus. Good time for that warm up session TransAm. I will provide the first 12 pack and watch you get drunk off your @$$. I have to give you credit......I couldn't go 9 days without a beer let alone 9 months.

Greenie
05-30-2007, 07:45 PM
I assume we have to travel to Sam Houston in 2008 and have the 4 Gateway road games, correct? A 6 home and 6 away schedule would be OK with me. I still think most fans want an FBS game every year. The exposure, big game atmosphere and payday make it a very important game. Not to mention that FBS is where the Bison are eventually headed (even Joe, Gene and Craig have hinted so). I know some of you want to stay small and have games in Fargo, but the only real division that 95% of college football fans care about is FBS. NDSU needs to be successful in FCS for a few years and then move to the next level. Consistent top ten rankings and playoff appearances in FCS are critical to getting there.

I like the 1 FBS game every year too, but I would be okay with not having one in 2008 if we get 7 home games instead. I want to have the best opportunity possible to win the championship the first year eligible. More wins = more home-playoff-games.