PDA

View Full Version : McLeod Resigns

aces1180
05-22-2007, 04:44 PM
Here is the link from GoBison.com:

http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=898872

lakesbison
05-22-2007, 04:46 PM
DAM!! unreal, that sucks. Shiela and Mitch are great people, wow, best of luck to them in the future.

GEE THANKS LYNN DORN & TITLE IX for your continued support of bison baseball... (PUKE)

Greenie
05-22-2007, 06:36 PM
DAM!! unreal, that sucks. Shiela and Mitch are great people, wow, best of luck to them in the future.

GEE THANKS LYNN DORN & TITLE IX for your continued support of bison baseball... (PUKE)

I see this as an opportunity for new life to be infused into the baseball program. The caliber of the new head coach will say a lot about the administration's desire to field a successfull baseball team.

Wacker_in_the_Hall
05-22-2007, 10:39 PM

That gol darn Lynn----she hung curveballs, had nothing on her fastball, and could not hit a lick. She is to blame for the baseball teams performance over the last 10-15 years!!!!

lakesbison
05-23-2007, 12:06 AM
wacker - LYNN underfunded the baseball team ON PURPOSE becuz of her precious GIRLS programs, and She not GENE oversaw Softball & Baseball primarily.

LYNN walked into baseball practice, study hall , and was an absolute BIATCH to them in the past, *late 80's*

thanks to lynn underfunding the team, SHE INDEED HUNG THE CURVEBALLS, etc, etc

Wacker_in_the_Hall
05-23-2007, 02:47 AM
wacker - LYNN underfunded the baseball team ON PURPOSE becuz of her precious GIRLS programs, and She not GENE oversaw Softball & Baseball primarily.

LYNN walked into baseball practice, study hall , and was an absolute BIATCH to them in the past, *late 80's*

thanks to lynn underfunding the team, SHE INDEED HUNG THE CURVEBALLS, etc, etc

Play the hand dealt you.....make the best of it be successful. Our track team has excelled for many years with a small budget

TheDoctor
05-23-2007, 03:21 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't a new NCAA rule come into play that eliminates or seriosly limits the partial scholarship. In other words, it's all or nothing now. So, guys who maybe deserved a partial and would have gotten one from NDSU will now gets fulls from a worse program simply because it's all or nothing. Is this correct? If so, it makes things much more difficult than they already are to recruit. ;)

sambini
05-23-2007, 03:51 AM
Good Luck to Mitch and his family. He goes back to being Dr. in the PHYS. ED Dept RIGHT?

bisonpride2k
05-23-2007, 05:16 AM
That gol darn Lynn----she hung curveballs, had nothing on her fastball, and could not hit a lick. She is to blame for the baseball teams performance over the last 10-15 years!!!!

It is uninformed people like you that continue to keep the baseball program down!!! Lets see... I think if you look at the record books that past 10-15 years under Mitch has produced the greatest continued success that this school has ever seen for baseball. Two regular season NCC titles and 1 tournament title on no more then 2 scholarships when the conference average was 5 with a high of 7 is being as successful as you can be. He won 37 games and was NCC North champ in 1996 with 0.5 scholarships and was ncc regular season champion in 2000 with 1.5 scholarships (Mankato, Omaha, St Cloud all had 5-7 that year and there after). It is impossible to win every year when you are dead last in funding. Where were all of football's NCC titles during that same time??? Mitch won more NCC titles during that same span with the equilivent of Morningsides funding in comparison. Not to mention in 2004 he had his roster limit cut from 36 to 32 which left very little room to develop players that were invited walk ons or brought into the program for $200. That list includes names like Piepkorn, Matt Mann, Baso, Brueske, Brandon Olson. Had Mitch not been able to keep a roster of 36 in the late 90's and early 00's players like Mann, Baso, and Olson would have been cut because they were not good enough to make the team at only 32 players. They had a redshirt year to develop their tallents and took off from there. Mitch turned a player not even recruited by anyone else in piepkorn and made him into one of the best players in school history that completely re wrote the record book and is now in AA with the Reds. He recruited Neil Wagner when most schools passed on him because he had a microwave fastball going from 82-86 and helped turn him into a pitcher that reached 96 in college and hit 100 in the Low A league ALL-Star game he played in in 2006. So before you go popping off again about the success of the program know the FACTS!!!

Your seriously going to compare an individual sport like track to baseball? Most of mens tracks most successful athletes have been sprinters that also play football. Meanwhile football forced Nick Schomer to quit baseball this spring despite him being a starter at the end of last season as a freshman who hit .350+ over the last two months of the season once he was able to re join the team after missing three weeks because of spring football and doing the same to Kole Zimmerman.

As far as Lynn Dorn she has a LOT to do with it and I have proof. Quoted directly from the mouth of your beloved LYNN DORN "Mitch, when you took this job as coach you knew that baseball was low priority at this school". When you get such great administrative support like that your program can only reach so far. One more nice little touch by Lynn was to leave off Greg Plecki in recognition this spring for senior SAAC members. When Mitch called her on it she didnt know who he was talking about even despite the Independent all academic team selections involvement in activities he worked directly with her. Wacker its time you pulled your head out of the clouds and came to some realizations with Lynn Dorn!

bisonpride2k
05-23-2007, 05:20 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't a new NCAA rule come into play that eliminates or seriosly limits the partial scholarship. In other words, it's all or nothing now. So, guys who maybe deserved a partial and would have gotten one from NDSU will now gets fulls from a worse program simply because it's all or nothing. Is this correct? If so, it makes things much more difficult than they already are to recruit. ;)

The old rule allowed any dollar amount you wanted to give or basicaly any percentage. Now the rule is you have to give it out in thirds. Basically 1/3, 2/3 or full. So if the rule was in effect this year NDSU would have 15 players on 1/3rd of a scholarship and 17 walk ons. It is a killer if Gene doesnt fork over some scholarship money. They will lose alot of quality players to Division 2 programs who could offer even $500 in comparison to NDSU not giving anything. Football has something similar with walk on, half, and full.

bisonpride2k
05-23-2007, 05:30 AM

Lakes... You know first hand on that one correct??

bisonpride2k
05-23-2007, 05:34 AM
Good Luck to Mitch and his family. He goes back to being Dr. in the PHYS. ED Dept RIGHT?

He always has been. He has been forced to be half time teacher and half time baseball coach because Gene would not come up with the money for a full time salary. The restricted earnings football coach was making more then mitch from athletics. Does that make any sense at all? Word is he will be full time in the HNES department (formerly HPER).

TheDoctor
05-23-2007, 03:52 PM
The old rule allowed any dollar amount you wanted to give or basicaly any percentage. Now the rule is you have to give it out in thirds. Basically 1/3, 2/3 or full. So if the rule was in effect this year NDSU would have 15 players on 1/3rd of a scholarship and 17 walk ons. It is a killer if Gene doesnt fork over some scholarship money. They will lose alot of quality players to Division 2 programs who could offer even $500 in comparison to NDSU not giving anything. Football has something similar with walk on, half, and full.

Thanks. I knew I wasn't 100% correct. I had the premise right, but a LOT off on the dollar amounts. ;)

imabison
05-23-2007, 05:29 PM
He always has been. He has been forced to be half time teacher and half time baseball coach because Gene would not come up with the money for a full time salary. The restricted earnings football coach was making more then mitch from athletics. Does that make any sense at all? Word is he will be full time in the HNES department (formerly HPER).
It was said on WDAY that he will remain as an instructor at NDSU, so he is just leaving coaching so he can watch his sons play baseball.

Ivy
05-23-2007, 05:44 PM
I wonder who the replacement will be. Like greenie says it will be interesting to see if the NDSU administration shows their commitment to the program and lands a good hire...and hopefully the new coach will demand some changes in the funding of the program.

I don't care for the argument about blaming Lynn for the baseball team being unsuccessful, but I do not like to see such a great difference in how a NDSU athlete is treated. When comparing basketball or football athletes to baseball team members, there seems to be a difference. Yes, I am talking scholarship money, but also marketing, equipment, and then things on the roadtrips like meals, accommodations and mode of transportation. Shouldn’t each student-athlete be treated equally? Isn’t it only fair that we allow each of them to succeed in whatever sport they choose to participate?

I’m not saying that baseball is the only team that is treated unfairly, but former players posts on this board have shown me how unfair it is for them.

bisonaudit
05-23-2007, 08:38 PM
I don't know anything about the Dorn/McLeod issue but simply regarding fairness to student athletes I'll say this. It's a nice idea, but

1) we're transitioning to a new division which means there are tough choices to be made regarding the allocation of $$$.

2) there is a marketplace for college baseball talent. The more skilled you or the better program you can get into, the more 'fairly' you'll be treated.

I believe the Dr. McLeod did a tremendous job for NDSU's baseball program. He got a lot out of a little on the scholarship side of things but he also had at least one big thing working for him the last 10 years. Newman. You've probably got to go all the way to Omaha to find a superior college baseball facility.

lakesbison
05-24-2007, 06:18 PM
bisonpride2k.. AMEN BROTHER!!

SING IT!!

Lynn should be a A.D at St Ben's or St Kate's, PERIOD!

NOT A FREAKIN DIVISION 1 school!! what a JOKE!!

Wacker_in_the_Hall
05-24-2007, 10:11 PM
Winning solves many problems

sambini
07-04-2007, 04:14 AM
Steve Hallstrom on WDAY 6 Sports said Mitch will become Detroit Lakes High Schools athletic director. Good for Mitch to go back to his hometown. Good luck to Mitch and his family.

Bisonguy
07-04-2007, 03:29 PM
Good luck Mitch!

TheDoctor
07-05-2007, 08:28 PM
Yes, good luck Mitch!!!!! ;)

sambini
07-06-2007, 08:36 PM
Go Lakers+++

TheDoctor
07-14-2007, 07:01 PM
I hope the new coach will be a good fit and that he chooses to retain Mongo. ;)