PDA

View Full Version : Refresh my memory on Woodside

Bison08
05-17-2007, 07:46 PM
Which other schools seriously recruited Ben Woodside?

I ask because I saw 12 Division I schools live this season, including two ACC schools (Clemson and Virginia Tech), as well as NDSU. Of all the point guards I saw, only one -- Zabian Dowdell of Virginia Tech, who likely will be taken in the NBA draft -- was better. Woodside was every bit the equal of the next best point guard I saw, Clemson's Vernon Hamilton.

All I can say is Miles must be one heckuva recruiter or a lot of schools missed the boat on a premier college player.

imabison
05-17-2007, 08:34 PM

I ask because I saw 12 Division I schools live this season, including two ACC schools (Clemson and Virginia Tech), as well as NDSU. Of all the point guards I saw, only one -- Zabian Dowdell of Virginia Tech, who likely will be taken in the NBA draft -- was better. Woodside was every bit the equal of the next best point guard I saw, Clemson's Vernon Hamilton.

All I can say is Miles must be one heckuva recruiter or a lot of schools missed the boat on a premier college player.
I feel Miles had a bit of assistance in the fact that the Fab 5 played together in an off season program. I think Miles recruited them as a group. Come continue to play together.

roadwarrior
05-18-2007, 03:10 AM
They played as a group? From 3 different states?

SirHinn
05-18-2007, 04:45 AM

Did you ever watch Ben Woodside play in high school? I'm not going to take away anything from his ability because he's one heck of a player but he has came along ways since high school. It's difficult to judge a player's heart as well as his work ethic when they are that young. Clearly though Woodside's work ethic is 2nd to none with how he has transformed his game since high school.

Bison08
05-18-2007, 04:58 AM
Did you ever watch Ben Woodside play in high school? I'm not going to take away anything from his ability because he's one heck of a player but he has came along ways since high school. It's difficult to judge a player's heart as well as his work ethic when they are that young. Clearly though Woodside's work ethic is 2nd to none with how he has transformed his game since high school.

No, I did not see him play in high school. Only seen him as a Bison -- once in person and several times on webcasts. I'm still curious. Does anyone remember if Woodside received scholarship offers from other D-I schools?

Hammersmith
05-18-2007, 06:58 AM
According to an old College Basketball News article via the Forum, Woodside was looked at by North Carolina Wilmington, Wichita State, Illinois State, Missouri-Kansas City, Indiana State, Cal Poly and Minnesota, but I don't think any of them offered a scholarship. I think he was overlooked largely because he didn't play on an AAU team until the summer before his senior year; that summer is where he made his mark.

NDSU_grad
05-18-2007, 09:11 PM
I'm pretty sure Hammersmith is right on. I think NDSU was the only DI offer he had. The same held true for the rest of the Fab Five.

Bison08
05-19-2007, 04:59 AM
According to an old College Basketball News article via the Forum, Woodside was looked at by North Carolina Wilmington, Wichita State, Illinois State, Missouri-Kansas City, Indiana State, Cal Poly and Minnesota, but I don't think any of them offered a scholarship. I think he was overlooked largely because he didn't play on an AAU team until the summer before his senior year; that summer is where he made his mark.

Thanks for the info. I know playing on an AAU team is important for recruiting purposes these days, but it's amazing a player of Woodside's caliber (as well as Winkelman, for that matter) didn't receive more serious consideration.

TheDoctor
05-19-2007, 03:30 PM
The knock on Woody out of HS was that he was too short as well.

SirHinn
05-19-2007, 05:24 PM
The knock on Woody out of HS was that he was too short as well.

As well as his shot not translating to the college game. It was what some would refer to as "flat" with not a lot of arch.

SDSUJack3031
05-20-2007, 07:45 AM
I know SDSU looked at him but I imagine he wasn't interested. Maybe didn't get far enough for them to offer because I'm sure Nagy knew about him and would love to have him. Who wouldn't?

As for Winkelman, they didn't offer him because he "wasn't good enough at enough things but just a few things". I don't think they were interested in him. Kinda crazy...

lakesbison
05-21-2007, 12:57 AM
Had a good talk with Woody.

The man is a stud, been puttin on GOOD WEIGHT. ha ha

he was watchin his mom at the marathon.

Woodside, Roberta, 41, F, Albert Lea, Minn., 590, 4:13:33 congrats!

Said He is JACKED for the FLORIDA GAME!! I told him to get his ass out to the lakes this summer, so he will be beaching it in DL!