PDA

View Full Version : Mid-Con will announce name change on May 15

NDSUguy
05-09-2007, 04:20 PM
It's official! The Mid-Continent Conference will officially change their name to the "Summit League" and will formally announce the name/logo change on May 15th.

So... What do you all think of this name?

IMHO, I don't really know if i'm for or against this name. I am for a new name but not knowing how the name "Summit" was created i'm still a little confused as to why that name was chosen.

Somehow the boys down at WDAY were out scooped by the news station in Fort Wayne, Indiana!

http://www.indianasnewscenter.com/Sports/Default.aspx?type=sn&NStoryID=6001

tcbison
05-09-2007, 04:39 PM
It's official! The Mid-Continent Conference will officially change their name to the "Summit League" and will formally announce the name/logo change on May 15th.

IMHO, I don't really know if i'm for or against this name. I am for a new name but not knowing how the name "Summit" was created i'm still a little confused as to why that name was chosen.

Somehow the boys down at WDAY were out scooped by the news station in Fort Wayne, Indiana!

http://www.indianasnewscenter.com/Sports/Default.aspx?type=sn&NStoryID=6001

I'm surprised that it is not the Summit Conference. Usually it ends in Conference and not League.

NDSUguy
05-09-2007, 04:43 PM
I thought about that also.... I guess they might have been questioning whether it would be smart to be the Summit Athletic Conference (or SAC) for short.

56BISON73
05-09-2007, 04:51 PM
I thought about that also.... I guess they might have been questioning whether it would be smart to be the Summit Athletic Conference (or SAC) for short.

Have to agree. I like SAC.
Summit League sounds like a softball or bowling league. PL

SDbison
05-09-2007, 05:03 PM
I hope this info is incorrect. Summit League? Sounds kind of dorky.

TransAmBison
05-09-2007, 05:56 PM
Can someone refresh my memory...why did they change their name in the first place? Is is just because of the changes in membership?

Blue
05-09-2007, 06:32 PM
People confuse the word Mid-Con with Middle Conference. The board of directors basically wanted a new look to the conference. A list of names was compiled and was about a page long. I think the leadership is looking towards the future and for a new marketing plan for the conference.
http://www.sdsufans.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1161638402/

NDSUguy
05-09-2007, 07:17 PM
Can someone refresh my memory...why did they change their name in the first place? Is is just because of the changes in membership?
Marketing... It's all about creating an image. The Mid-Continent conference was too long and the shortened term Mid-Con didn't exactly make people remember the conference (at least not on a national level)

Hammersmith
05-09-2007, 07:36 PM
This is absolutely horrible! This will start a war that could destroy our happy little group. It used to be only the Bud Camp vs the Michelob Warriors. The addition of a Summit Faction could destabalize the Cold Beer War. Think of the women and children!

And the name's kinda dumb too. Maybe it'll grow on me. At least I was able to start a thread over at siouxsports telling them they'll never get into the Mid-Con.

EagleBison
05-09-2007, 07:45 PM

http://img.epinions.com/images/opti/33/86/Summit_Extra_Pale_Ale1-resized200.jpg

imabison
05-09-2007, 08:24 PM
This is absolutely horrible! This will start a war that could destroy our happy little group. It used to be only the Bud Camp vs the Michelob Warriors. The addition of a Summit Faction could destabalize the Cold Beer War. Think of the women and children!

And the name's kinda dumb too. Maybe it'll grow on me. At least I was able to start a thread over at siouxsports telling them they'll never get into the Mid-Con.
Summit is a much better beverage all around....yummm

DIBISON
05-10-2007, 02:19 AM
Gene Taylor had some good points on tonight's sports about the name change. One big issue is that they wanted to get away from using the word - Mid - so you don't relate the conference to midmajor. The goal of the conference is to keep improving to reach the level of the MVC and have multiple teams in the tournament. So the feeling is that Mid-Con gave an average label to the conference.

Doesn't Summit mean the highest????

Bisonguy
05-10-2007, 03:23 AM
Note to self:

Never tell a secret to IPFW.

Didn't they leak the new members of the Mid-Con as well??

imabison
05-10-2007, 12:17 PM
Note to self:

Never tell a secret to IPFW.

Didn't they leak the new members of the Mid-Con as well??
According to Halstrom IPFW did some type of early promotion that announced the name before it was supposed to be public.

NDSU_grad
05-10-2007, 02:43 PM
I don't like it. Why didn't they rename it the "We tried to think of a name similar to Horizon League and couldn't come up with anything cool Conference".
Oh well, life goes on.

Paulie
05-10-2007, 02:44 PM
I agree that the use of the word "league" is misplaced. Every other conference out there uses the word conference so as soon as you use league you open things up for confusion. My guess is that most people that hear "Summit League" will have no idea that's it's a collegiate athletic conference and wonder if it's a slow pitch softball league, high school league, or anything else besides college because it doesn't have the word conference in it's name like all the others do.

Summit is pretty mediocre and bland also. What, was the name Acme Conference copyrighted already?

NDSUguy
05-10-2007, 05:33 PM
What about the following leagues:

Ivy
Patriot
Pioneer
Horizon (as already mentioned)

I don't think that using the term league versus conference or association really makes a difference. The bottom line is that the nation as a whole had no idea what "mid-con" meant. While summit doesn't necessarily mean anything specific (i.e. it doesn't allude to the geographic location of the members) it is still better than the Mid-Con.

Trim
05-10-2007, 06:15 PM
I agree 'SUguy

RedRiver
05-10-2007, 09:42 PM
I can get used to the Summit League. I think it is good they got away for using the word Mid in a name. Don't need that label.

Yo
05-10-2007, 10:53 PM
It will take some getting used to but the main thing to remember is we are moving forward. At a very good clip I might add.