PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions

Hammersmith
05-01-2007, 11:10 PM
I thought it might be nice to start a thread just for suggestions for what settings users might like to see enabled on this new board. It can also be used for commenting on those suggestions so we can see if it would be liked by the majority.

I'll go first:

1. Enabling multiple nested quoting would be nice. I know it gets turned into a game every now and then, but the one-quote limit really hinders the in-depth discussions, IMO.

2. Allow a window for editing posts without notation. 10-15 minutes should be enough to allow people to correct typos without having the edited by ... at the bottom of the post.

3. If there is a way to enable live updating of new posts(I have no idea what it's actually called), that would be great. The constant need to refresh the page to figure out what you've read already is somewhat annoying. I doubt vBulletin can do that, though.

The full-width layout is great; I hope it's kept. Websites that have fixed widths often have one thing in common: advertising. I hope that's one feature Bisonville will never add.

admin
05-02-2007, 02:10 PM
I thought it might be nice to start a thread just for suggestions for what settings users might like to see enabled on this new board. It can also be used for commenting on those suggestions so we can see if it would be liked by the majority.

I'll go first:

1. Enabling multiple nested quoting would be nice. I know it gets turned into a game every now and then, but the one-quote limit really hinders the in-depth discussions, IMO.

2. Allow a window for editing posts without notation. 10-15 minutes should be enough to allow people to correct typos without having the edited by ... at the bottom of the post.

3. If there is a way to enable live updating of new posts(I have no idea what it's actually called), that would be great. The constant need to refresh the page to figure out what you've read already is somewhat annoying. I doubt vBulletin can do that, though.

The full-width layout is great; I hope it's kept. Websites that have fixed widths often have one thing in common: advertising. I hope that's one feature Bisonville will never add.

Man, I had to RTFM for these (well, kind of).

1. Nesting quotes: vBulletin doesn't allow this by default so I'd have to hack the board to allow it - not going to try that quite yet, but I will eventually.

2. The limit was 2 minutes by default. I bumped it to 15.

3. I think there is a way to do the live updating... the problem is that it apparently puts a big burden on the server side of things and that, in turns, puts the site at risk of being summarily shut down.

As for advertising, I don't see that happening (unless I do some fake ones as a joke).

admin
05-02-2007, 02:14 PM
Oh yeah, I thought somebody asked for the "user rep" feature so I enabled that. Not sure what it does.

BisonBabe
05-02-2007, 04:20 PM
Oh yeah, I thought somebody asked for the "user rep" feature so I enabled that. Not sure what it does.

I see where the Rep points should be but not an option to give rep points.

******I found it. Different spot then I am use to.

admin
05-03-2007, 09:55 AM
I didn't know where it was either until trying it out now... The "scales of justice" icon on the right side of each message's green bar let's you add or subtract from the message's author.

I've never been sure what this is for - I suppose it allows us to separate the wheat from the chaff. I notice there is a "Report Post" button too... you can use that to bring a post to the attention of the moderators if it crosses a line or something (spam, obscenity, etc).

BisonBabe
05-03-2007, 12:51 PM
I didn't know where it was either until trying it out now... The "scales of justice" icon on the right side of each message's green bar let's you add or subtract from the message's author.

I've never been sure what this is for - I suppose it allows us to separate the wheat from the chaff. I notice there is a "Report Post" button too... you can use that to bring a post to the attention of the moderators if it crosses a line or something (spam, obscenity, etc).

Another question for you regarding Rep points. right now everyone is showing grey. Is this a default setting or is it something else?

BTW thanks for all the work you put into this forum for all of us.

BisonBabe
05-03-2007, 02:06 PM
Another question for you regarding Rep Points. Is there a way to see who has given you the rep points? I see a couple for me but do not know who was the generous poster! :D

norm4life
05-03-2007, 10:45 PM
didn't there used to be an option to view all the pages of a thread at once?

Hammersmith
05-04-2007, 04:17 PM
I think I've found a pattern in one of the problems with unread/read indicators. At least twice, when I've posted before reading all the new posts, all the remaining unread posts have been marked as read. Anyone else notice a similar problem? That doesn't happen over on AGS, so it's probably a default setting issue.

edit: I just wanted to say I love the new topic descriptions. If you haven't paid any attention to them since the move, go back to the main page and check them out.