PDA

View Full Version : The Price of Sucess...

mn-bison
04-26-2007, 10:37 AM
Article in the Forum on the SDSU women's coach Aaron Johnston moving on to greener pastures at Wisconson-Green Bay...

http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/163846

rabidrabbit
04-26-2007, 02:27 PM
No surprise. Aaron Johnston has been to SDSU WBB an even more successful edition of Tim Miles to NDSU.

This Rabbit wishes AJ the best, and hopes to see the NCAA title net around his neck before his coaching days are thru. UW-GB is one of the few non-BCS schools that would have meshed with AJ's career goals.

Hopefully, Dr. Oien succeeds in bringing in a high quality replacement. And the possibility exists, like at NDSU that the right one is the current Asst Coach, Melum.

We will wait and see.

realisttoo
04-26-2007, 09:13 PM
AJ's isn't going anywhere, he is staying at SDSU. I bet Ruley's ticked.

BlueKeyAlum
04-26-2007, 11:06 PM

WTF....like hours before his press conference he pulls out?? Who does this??

This is such a weird year for women's basketball.
1) The whole Imus-Rutgers thing.
2) The Pokey Chapman sex scandal at LSU right before the women tournament starts. LSu makes the Final Four under an assistant coach and then hires Van Chacnellor out of WNBA retirement (and retirement in general) to take over.
3) Legends galore retiring: Jodi Conradt (Texas), Rene Portland (Penn State), Teresa Grentz (Illinois), Carol Ross (Mississippi)
4) Florida offering top dollar for a women's coach and instead of attracting the Genos and Brenda Freese's of the world...has to take the 3 year coach of UNC-Charlotte.
5) Gail Goestenkors from Duke takes the Texas job when the Duke AD basically says sayanora. Then Duke flubs on getting an alum to take over the program (Cal's JoAnne Broyle) and then hustles to brings in Michigan State's JoAnn McCallie and her airport security guard biting husband.
6) Mickie DeMoss steps down from a good program she's been building in Kentucky to examine her life.

realisttoo
04-27-2007, 12:32 AM
All unique situations. To act as though it is an indictment of the sport or profession is ridiculous.

To answer your initial question... How about Dana Altman, Gregg Marshall, Bobby Cremins, the former UWGB coach after initially accepting the Colorado job, etc...

Just because it is done in a high profile position doesn't mean it is some unique concept.

BlueKeyAlum
04-27-2007, 01:41 AM
All unique situations. To act as though it is an indictment of the sport or profession is ridiculous.

To answer your initial question... How about Dana Altman, Gregg Marshall, Bobby Cremins, the former UWGB coach after initially accepting the Colorado job, etc...

Just because it is done in a high profile position doesn't mean it is some unique concept.

Did I say anything disparaging about WCBB? The mere fact that I know about those 8-9 scenarios should give you some insight on how closely I follow the WCBB scene.

Walrus
04-27-2007, 04:01 AM

Why? I don't spend a lot of time over here, so maybe I missed something. Was she interested in making a move? I know that during the season there was a lot of "what has she done for us lately?" going on, but she actually doesn't have that bad of a D-1 transition team. The unprecedented success of the SDSU women during the transition period is hardly a reasonable measure of NDSU or any other transition team. According to the final RPI ratings, most of the teams in D-1 were not as good as the Jackrabbits. There are few things better than beating the Bison and one major reason for that is the excellence of programs run by coaches like Amy Ruley.

BlueKeyAlum
04-27-2007, 03:09 PM
Why? I don't spend a lot of time over here, so maybe I missed something. Was she interested in making a move? I know that during the season there was a lot of "what has she done for us lately?" going on, but she actually doesn't have that bad of a D-1 transition team. The unprecedented success of the SDSU women during the transition period is hardly a reasonable measure of NDSU or any other transition team. According to the final RPI ratings, most of the teams in D-1 were not as good as the Jackrabbits. There are few things better than beating the Bison and one major reason for that is the excellence of programs run by coaches like Amy Ruley.

Amy had been offered the Purdue job several years back (her alma mater where she was the starting point guard on the Boilermaker's very first women's team). She turned it down along with other opportunities to stay at NDSU.

Greenie
04-27-2007, 04:21 PM
Good move by Johnston. He should wait for a higher-profile job than UW-GB.

rabidrabbit
04-27-2007, 08:13 PM
Good move by Johnston. He should wait for a higher-profile job than UW-GB.

IMHO, AJ has the potential to make SDSU the "UW-GB" of the Mid-Con. His track record so far is phenomenonal!

sambini
04-28-2007, 12:06 AM
Good move by Johnston. He should wait for a higher-profile job than UW-GB.I totally agree Greenie. That seemed like a lateral move IMO.