PDA

View Full Version : SDSU loses WBB Coach...

NDSUstudent
04-25-2007, 10:33 PM
GREEN BAY, Wis. - University of Wisconsin-Green Bay Director of Athletics Ken Bothof announced today the hiring of Aaron Johnston as the head coach for the Phoenix women's basketball program. Johnston becomes the third head coach in the team's storied 34-year history.

"I am excited that we have someone of Aaron's caliber to lead our program," said Bothof. "We have an individual that met our players' qualifications for their coach as well as a person with the credentials that we felt would be able to take our program and build on its record of success."

"We are delighted that Coach Johnston is joining the UW-Green Bay family," said UW-Green Bay Chancellor Bruce Shepard. "Our ability to attract a coach of his caliber is firm evidence of the stature and maturity of our women's basketball program. Coach Johnston's teams have experienced high levels of success - on the court and in the classroom. He is an excellent fit not only for our women's basketball program, but for our university and community."

"It is a great opportunity for me to join the well-established Phoenix women's basketball program," said Johnston. "I appreciate the confidence extended from the leadership of UW-Green Bay and I am anxious to begin the process of adding to the wonderful foundation that is already in place."

"I greatly appreciate the leadership and hard work of Athletics Director Ken Bothof in bringing this important search to such a successful conclusion," continued Shepard. "I also would like to thank Faculty Athletic Representative Donna Ritch, Senior Woman Administrator Jeanne Stangel and our players for their wise counsel and assistance in this process."

Johnston comes to Titletown following seven successful seasons at South Dakota State University in Brookings, S.D. During his tenure with the Jackrabbits, Johnston compiled an overall record of 170-55 (.756 winning percentage), including the team's 32-3 record in 2003 on its way to the NCAA Division II national championship. For his efforts, Johnston was tabbed the 2003 Molten/Women's Division II Bulletin Coach of the Year.....

http://uwgbathletics.cstv.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/042507aaa.html

2002jack
04-26-2007, 01:04 AM
GREEN BAY, Wis. - University of Wisconsin-Green Bay Director of Athletics Ken Bothof announced today the hiring of Aaron Johnston as the head coach for the Phoenix women's basketball program. Johnston becomes the third head coach in the team's storied 34-year history.

"I am excited that we have someone of Aaron's caliber to lead our program," said Bothof. "We have an individual that met our players' qualifications for their coach as well as a person with the credentials that we felt would be able to take our program and build on its record of success."

"We are delighted that Coach Johnston is joining the UW-Green Bay family," said UW-Green Bay Chancellor Bruce Shepard. "Our ability to attract a coach of his caliber is firm evidence of the stature and maturity of our women's basketball program. Coach Johnston's teams have experienced high levels of success - on the court and in the classroom. He is an excellent fit not only for our women's basketball program, but for our university and community."

"It is a great opportunity for me to join the well-established Phoenix women's basketball program," said Johnston. "I appreciate the confidence extended from the leadership of UW-Green Bay and I am anxious to begin the process of adding to the wonderful foundation that is already in place."

"I greatly appreciate the leadership and hard work of Athletics Director Ken Bothof in bringing this important search to such a successful conclusion," continued Shepard. "I also would like to thank Faculty Athletic Representative Donna Ritch, Senior Woman Administrator Jeanne Stangel and our players for their wise counsel and assistance in this process."

Johnston comes to Titletown following seven successful seasons at South Dakota State University in Brookings, S.D. During his tenure with the Jackrabbits, Johnston compiled an overall record of 170-55 (.756 winning percentage), including the team's 32-3 record in 2003 on its way to the NCAA Division II national championship. For his efforts, Johnston was tabbed the 2003 Molten/Women's Division II Bulletin Coach of the Year.....

http://uwgbathletics.cstv.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/042507aaa.html

Well this totally sucks. Now we know how it feels. Any suggestions on how to deal with the grief. Perhaps a 12 pack will make me feel better.

roadwarrior
04-26-2007, 01:41 AM
Is the jump to Green Bay THAT big of a jump?

99Bison
04-26-2007, 02:01 AM

I hear ya??

Tatanka
04-26-2007, 02:02 AM
Sorry to hear about this, rabbits... Hope you can eventually look on the bright side of this (one always exists but it's likely very well hidden)...

And yes, a 12 pack of your favorite beverage may assist you in your quest. Pour, drain, repeat.

2002jack
04-26-2007, 02:18 AM

We've been debating that on our Forum. UWGB has qualified for postseason play 10 years in a row. Something like 2 WNIT and 8 NCAA's. We have 1 WNIT, and one year of transistion to go.

Still...Green Bay? I was thinking he'd stay at SDSU for another few years and then move on to a BCS program. Then again, we all know very little about the whole situation.

jackrabbit1979
04-26-2007, 02:20 AM

I thought the same thing initially, but after reconsidering it probably is. They have ten straight post season appearances, a brand new arena, great community and women's basketball support. Some would say they are the Gonzaga of women's hoops. I would venture to say that SDSU to Green Bay in women's hoops is a bigger jump than NDSU to Colo St. in men's hoops. Yet, even though they have more tradition than SDSU, i don't know if talent wise they would have been better than us this last year. The big kicker might have been the multiyear contract that they offered. As of right now all state employees in SD, including coaches, are only allowed to hold one year contracts. In the world of college sports where contracts aren't really honored that much anymore anyway this may not be a huge deal, but it sure doesn't give the coach much security (longevity, buyout, etc) if their performance goes down hill.

Either way, I'm depressed.

TransAmBison
04-26-2007, 02:30 AM
Tough break Jacks. Good luck in your search for a replacement!

NDSUstudent
04-26-2007, 02:45 AM
We'll things turned out well for NDSU, Saul has kept all the players and recruits and put togather a great coaching staff on top of that. I think the Rabbits can do the same if they find the right coach, they shouldn't have a problem with getting good candidates.

I also agree this is an odd move, WGB is great school but not really that much better then SDSU. Its definately not like the move Miles made, major conference and huge step up in pay. That said maybe Johnston was ready for a change of scenery, some coaches don't like to stay in one spot for too long.

KC_Hats
04-26-2007, 04:02 AM
With the success he has had there is no way you could hang on to him.

He had as much if not more success than Coach Miles had at NDSU.

Who is the next hire? An assistant?

NDSU made it easy on the fans by hiring who we all think is a great replacement coach. We won't know for sure until next year when he actually starts coaching.

UWGB is a step up since they are in the Horizon League. Just another step up on the way to the big time. I bet his stay at UWGB is short if he continues to have success.

Good luck in finding a qualified replacement. I would say an assistant would be the way I would recommend going. My opinion is if the program is improving or doing well hire from within to have continuity and continue the success. When things go south and the program struggles look outside for new idea.

sambini
04-26-2007, 09:14 AM
Is the jump to Green Bay THAT big of a jump? Good luck JACKS in your search. Anyone come in mind to replace him?

filbert
04-26-2007, 09:17 PM
How about . . . Aaron Johnston?

http://uwgbathletics.cstv.com/genrel/042607aaa.html

Looks like AJ pulled a Dana Altman . . .

WYOBISONMAN
04-27-2007, 12:53 AM
WOW.....that whole thing is pretty flakey. To let it go so far as UWGB announcing a new coach and then bailing out?!?!? Strange as hell.

KC_Hats
04-27-2007, 03:53 AM
Must have wanted and got a raise and longer contract at SDSU.:o

Blue
04-27-2007, 03:57 AM
Must have wanted and got a raise and longer contract at SDSU.:o

Longer contract... No
Raise...Probably

All State employees are held on one-year contracts. Nothing more nothing less.

sambini
04-28-2007, 12:12 AM
He couldn't get PACKER tickets?

JACKRABBITFAN
04-30-2007, 02:50 PM
He couldn't get PACKER tickets?

If you grew up in St Peter Minneosota, you are not likely to be a packer fan.
Aaron said he let the process go to far. I don't think he felt good about the job as he also felt he had a good start on building a good program at SDSU. Who ever the next coach might have been, they would have inherited a very good program, with the best GPA for the team in D1.

On the road to Damascus, I-29 between Brookings and Sioux Falls he had a Revelation about staying put, and started calling as soon as he got to Minneopolis. We are very happy to have him stay. The Green Bay program is further advanced in D1 than maybe SDSU and NDSU. Maybe more resources available, but also the high expectation of a winning program.

I think he should have turned it down right away, but Aaron is one of best people I have met in terms of coaches. Very friendly and personable and its made a difference in recruiting. He is also very close to Lori Melhum, his assistant. Both are single and are often seen together golfing and in cafes etc. Can't say they are romantically involved. They are both single so its none of my business and as coaches they work well together.

Lori might have been able to take over, but she apparently was going with Aaron to Green Bay. The AD announced Melhums contract would not be renewed in order to make room for the new head coach and his/her selection.
So happy it ended up the way it did.

Greenie
04-30-2007, 03:56 PM
Rumor is that UW-GB wouldn't allow Lori Mehlum on AJ's staff because she doesn't have a graduate degree...stupid on UW-GB's part if this is why AJ stayed at SDSU

56BISON73
04-30-2007, 06:30 PM
Thats interesting. May be they expect there coaches to teach and a graduate degree is required for that position. But if not its idiotic to require a coach to have a graduate degree just so they can coach.

But then again that might not have been the reason.PL

JACKRABBITFAN
04-30-2007, 07:15 PM
Rumor is that UW-GB wouldn't allow Lori Mehlum on AJ's staff because she doesn't have a graduate degree...stupid on UW-GB's part if this is why AJ stayed at SDSU

This is the first I have heard about this, but I dont doubt that it is plausible and behind the scences. Laurie has a degree from Augustana in elementry education (1998). AJ hired her when he was named the head coach. She was a good player for Augie btw.

I also checked a game program and there is no mention of a graduate degree. I suspect she has been too busy at SDSU as the lone assistant to get a masters. SDSU does not offer a masters or a bacholor in elementry education which sounds silly, but is a reflection of intra state fighting amongst the six state supported schools plus that idot called Bill Janklow streamlined all duplications of majors offered in his first term as governor in the 1970's. In other words, certain adminstrators don't want Brookings to have all the majors and Wild Bill really helped them out.

We have had women athletes attended Dakota State 42 miles away for elementry training. Our USD foes contend this was a reason for Mandy Kopal transfering to USD which may be true.

Hammersmith
04-30-2007, 07:45 PM
This is the first I have heard about this, but I dont doubt that it is plausible and behind the scences. Laurie has a degree from Augustana in elementry education (1998). AJ hired her when he was named the head coach. She was a good player for Augie btw.

I also checked a game program and there is no mention of a graduate degree. I suspect she has been too busy at SDSU as the lone assistant to get a masters. SDSU does not offer a masters or a bacholor in elementry education which sounds silly, but is a reflection of intra state fighting amongst the six state supported schools plus that idot called Bill Janklow streamlined all duplications of majors offered in his first term as governor in the 1970's. In other words, certain adminstrators don't want Brookings to have all the majors and Wild Bill really helped them out.

We have had women athletes attended Dakota State 42 miles away for elementry training. Our USD foes contend this was a reason for Mandy Kopal transfering to USD which may be true.
It's both similar and different at NDSU. NDSU also isn't allowed to offer El-Ed degrees but at least there is an on-campus option. All El-Ed students on campus are actually considered VCSU students and that's what their diplomas' show. The ed classes required for their degree are actually taught by ITV or VCSU professors who work in Fargo(I'm not sure which). IMO, it's dumb. It adds unnecessary bureaucratic hassels and an additional level of political infighting. Good for stroking egos, bad for learning.