PDA

View Full Version : Question for users on the board's layout

admin
04-25-2007, 02:30 PM
Now, you may have noticed that this change: the board no longer expands to the width of your screen - the width is constant.

Here is why I decided on this:

1. I'm going to be redesigning bisonville.com to more closely integrate with the forums (e.g. the pages are going to have the same color scheme and some of the same elements - like a menu bar across the top). As part of this, I set the width of the forums to be what the width of the rest of bisonville.com is going to be.

2. I noticed that a lot of sites seem to do the same thing (and heck, they must have reasons). ESPN, CNN, etc have a fixed width and start at the left - the Fargo Forum and a lot of other news sites have a fixed width but put stuff in the center.

3. Everybody sees the same thing (if I have the width shrink or grow depending on the type of display people use, then that makes the design of certain things harder).

However, the old bison board and AGS fill the screen and I can see why people might like that better.

admin
04-26-2007, 01:20 PM
Based on your responses, I'm leaning towards making the board fill the screen, but I thought I'd give you a couple days at the intermediate width before I make the switch to full screen in a couple days.

56BISON73
04-26-2007, 03:55 PM
The information on the page is now bigger than my screen and I have to keep using the arrow to move the sceen over to see what the rest of the post is. How do I get the field back to the normal size. PL????? PL

99Bison
04-26-2007, 06:35 PM
For your site you can go with fixed with... There are many many reasons other big sites do this... one not the least being you (as the designer) can control the layout exactly that way.

However for the BB I personally perfer stretchy so I have control over the width with my browser sise.

Bisonguy
04-26-2007, 09:22 PM
Stretchy is good.

I feel like I have control over the board. :)

Tatanka
04-26-2007, 10:45 PM
I also read the board on my Treo--so it helps to have the board stretch (or shrink as the case may be) gracefully. This board is MUCH better than the previous one with this...:nod: