PDA

View Full Version : NDSU Colors

G-city Bison Fan
04-25-2007, 05:10 AM
It has been brought to my attention that some people on campus are currently trying to change the name of the school colors.

Currently green and yellow are the official school colors, although gold is used a lot.

The color itself wouldn't change, however a name change from yellow to golden yellow is being considered.

Just figured I would post this poll and get some feedback.

sambini
04-25-2007, 05:12 PM
It has been brought to my attention that some people on campus are currently trying to change the name of the school colors.

Currently green and yellow are the official school colors, although gold is used a lot.

The color itself wouldn't change, however a name change from yellow to golden yellow is being considered.

Just figured I would post this poll and get some feedback.

Leave them the same the yellow and the green.

G-city Bison Fan
04-25-2007, 06:36 PM
sambini, that's how i feel as well.

I know there is a lot of confusion, and I am not exactly sure where it comes from. I think this talk of change is two-fold.

1. to help with the confusion by making it a non issue, both parties would then be sorta correct.

2. marketing, green and gold sounds better than green and yellow...

I guess I am a bit more about the tradition here and would like to see it stay green and yellow, and i wish people (some of the higher ups especially) would stop using gold.

sambini
04-26-2007, 09:18 AM
G-city I to am a traditional type. It says in the alma mater the yellow and the green. If they could get all the colors to be consistent would be nice.

tony
04-26-2007, 09:33 AM
I guess I'm not a big tradionalist - at least not when the traditions aren't rooted in something more than "tradition for tradition's sake" - in fact, I'm more inclined to think that shaking things up every once in a great while is a better way to go, but I can't decide how to vote. Unfortunately for you guys, that won't stop me from yapping about it.

Anyway, according to our school song, the yellow is supposed to represent the color of wheat... well, wheat has never looked yellow to me. And, as has been pointed out, green and gold certainly rolls off the tongue more easily. Corn and sunflowers are yellow, but barley, wheat, and oats look gold to me. There are just more positive connotations to gold and many negative connotations to yellow (pee is yellow, cowards are yellow, beer is golden and the best things are as good as gold).

On the other hand, yellow has served us well, so why change it? We use yellow and gold interchangeably now anyway.

Golden yellow does not do much for me. Too timid and a mouthful to boot.

TransAmBison
04-26-2007, 11:51 AM
I guess I'm not a big tradionalist - at least not when the traditions aren't rooted in something more than "tradition for tradition's sake" - in fact, I'm more inclined to think that shaking things up every once in a great while is a better way to go, but I can't decide how to vote. Unfortunately for you guys, that won't stop me from yapping about it.

Anyway, according to our school song, the yellow is supposed to represent the color of wheat... well, wheat has never looked yellow to me. And, as has been pointed out, green and gold certainly rolls off the tongue more easily. Corn and sunflowers are yellow, but barley, wheat, and oats look gold to me. There are just more positive connotations to gold and many negative connotations to yellow (pee is yellow, cowards are yellow, beer is golden and the best things are as good as gold).

On the other hand, yellow has served us well, so why change it? We use yellow and gold interchangeably now anyway.

Golden yellow does not do much for me. Too timid and a mouthful to boot.

I tend to like it used "interchangeably." Gold works better when saying, "Both teams wear the green..."

DIGRAPPLER
04-26-2007, 08:28 PM
I too am a traditonalist. Golden Yellow sounds fruity to me. Honey, I love the new yellow paint in the living room. Wife responds, it's not yellow, it's Golden Yellow!

Leave it alone and move onto bigger and better projects.

4mcruenomore
04-30-2007, 02:36 AM
I always thought it was green and gold, well, before 2001:
Two universities in ND wear green, only 1 wears gold, if anybody remembers the t-shirt that lists our championships, playoff record, etc....

TheDoctor
07-22-2007, 05:08 AM
I agree. This reminds me of the "Scream Yellow" campaign a couple of years ago because yellow is considered cowardly. I wish it were gold. ;)