Field goal blocked. Minnesota prevails.

NoDakSt
10-21-2006, 10:39 PM
wow

uff-da

what a finale

Kevin
Good game, guys. Nothing to be ashamed of there.

Let's look forward to next week.

GoBears
nuts! Good game Bison, you made 1AA proud anyways

gwendel
10-21-2006, 10:40 PM
Good effort, Bison!

We're proud of you.

Loudest cheers are for the Bison as they come off the field.

Standing ovation for the Bison.

max_cool
10-21-2006, 10:40 PM
argh!

well, we showed that we can play with MN on the road, I have no doubt that were this a homegame (however unlikely) NDSU would have won

kchats
10-21-2006, 10:41 PM
Damn It. The Bison should have won that game. NDSU was clearly the better team. Damn it. Great effort Bison you had them.

max_cool
10-21-2006, 10:41 PM
Good game Bison!

NoDakSt
10-21-2006, 10:42 PM
Way to go GREEN!!!!!

Kevin
10-21-2006, 10:42 PM
I feel for the guys. That really sucks. The important thing is we gained some respect and made it out of the game healthy.

JackJD
10-21-2006, 10:44 PM
As disappointing it is to lose, you gotta be proud of the Bison. Nice job.

BisonInTexas
10-21-2006, 10:45 PM
Thanks team for showing your Bison Pride. I know it still hurts, but you made a lot of people proud (including yours truly) today.

Craig

Air_Force_One
10-21-2006, 10:49 PM
This Sioux fan says Great Game Bison! You did yourselves proud!

gwendel
10-21-2006, 10:50 PM
Announcers are really happy.

Relieved that they can talk about the moral victory for NDSU.

Know they need to cater to the ND audience a little. After all, 40% of this ND audience is probably from MN.

Praising MN because they did what they needed to get the win.

Color announcer: "Bison quite possibly should have won this game."

Quickly shut off by lead announcer.

kchats
10-21-2006, 10:52 PM
I sure wish we could have punched one of those into the endzone to get more points. It was a great effort and I still believe the Bison are the better of these two teams. Minnesota might have a little better athletes but NDSU is the better team. I think the turnovers were caused by some of the athletic superiority of the Gophers.

gwendel
10-21-2006, 10:53 PM
Color announcer still thinks Bison can make the I-AA playoffs even though lead announcer told him they are not eligible.

MinotBison
10-21-2006, 10:54 PM
We'll get' em next year. NO DOUBT.

kchats
10-21-2006, 10:55 PM
Coach Mason spent alot of time talking to Steve Walker. I think he liked Walker and tape and even more after coaching against him. Walker is a great leader and QB.

SUILB#28
10-21-2006, 10:55 PM
I don't really believe in moral victories and I'm sure not many do, but I am so damn proud of those guys I can't even explain it. The heart and character they showed is a testament to them, the coaches, and the entire program. Something to remember, but lets get the conference.

kchats
10-21-2006, 10:57 PM
Minnesota offensive coordinator is saying it was more what Minnesota didn't do than what NDSU did. He did say NDSU outplayed them and I believe he even admitted they were outcoached.

Scooter
10-21-2006, 10:59 PM
Someone explain to me how this is the second best defense in the Great West???

Wow... Bison D, you did us all proud!!!

kchats
10-21-2006, 10:59 PM
Minnesota offensive coordinator said he hopes his players and coaches learn from NDSU and play like NDSU at Ohio State to give them a chance.

silkamilkamonico
10-21-2006, 11:00 PM
Minnesota offensive coordinator is saying it was more what Minnesota didn't do than what NDSU did. *He did say NDSU outplayed them and I believe he even admitted they were outcoached.

I saw that.

Funny how he didn't bother mentioning NDSU's TD that was called back, or missed FG earlier as well.

kchats
10-21-2006, 11:00 PM
Cal-Poly has a good defense too. Bison defense is great and should be better next year.

gwendel
10-21-2006, 11:01 PM
Coach Mason didn't talk, but offensive coordinator Mitch Browning had a great deal of respect for the Bison, and said,
"Hopefully we can play as well next week as NDSU did against us this week."

Announcers STILL call NDSU the INFERIOR team.

Praise for Bison stepping up against a SUPERIOR team. Oh, I see.

gwendel
10-21-2006, 11:02 PM
Pinnix held to 97 yards.

Steffes gets 136.

Scooter
10-21-2006, 11:04 PM
Cal-Poly has a good defense too. *Bison defense is great and should be better next year.

Yes, we know they do because of all the orgasms that the Great West reporters have every time they mention Cal Poly.

Look for another year where NDSU has numberous players second team all conference. ::)

kchats
10-21-2006, 11:04 PM
Bison had 381 total offensive yards with Steve Walker passing 22-37 for 236 yards and an interception; Kyle Steffes ran for 136 yards and Heckendorf caught 8 passes for 97 yards.

Minnesota had 267 yards and Pinnick ran for 97 yards with Cupito passing for 149.

Two turnovers and not scoring TD's in the red zone.

gwendel
10-21-2006, 11:06 PM
Steffes: "Still hard. Came into this game. We felt like we could win this game."

"Keepin' it close. MN played a great game."

"Coaches told us it would come down to a close game."

Marty Morneau says NDSU won every category except the score.

kchats
10-21-2006, 11:07 PM
The desk guys for Gohpers live said they love Steve Walker and that he is a legitimate big time QB that made good decisions and great throws and lead his team to what should have been a victory.

silkamilkamonico
10-21-2006, 11:10 PM
The desk guys for Gohpers live said they love Steve Walker and that he is a legitimate big time QB that made good decisions and great throws and lead his team to what should have been a victory.

Yes. Great comments for Walker all the way around.

And he will be around for one more year!

:)

coloradobison
10-21-2006, 11:12 PM
Just got back from the game location here in Denver. Great crowd showed up, had to be 50-75 people there. We are trying to get it worked out to see the Davis game also. Anyways, what an amazing game, couple of missed plays may have cost us a victory, but an amazing game none the less. The defense played amazing, simply great. Proud to be a Bison. I might have to make the trip next year. Go Bison!!

gwendel
10-21-2006, 11:12 PM
Sean Bibeau: It was a little low, I thought I had a good kick. Looked up. Saw it off to the side. I thought, you gotta be kiddin.

MN gave me 0. No letters, no anything. It was a good feeling to be back.

kchats
10-21-2006, 11:21 PM
From ESPN:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=262940135&confId=43

Bison only give up 99 yards rushing.

pmp6nl
10-21-2006, 11:22 PM
Great game Bison, we showed mn that we were a great team.

We will take them out next year!

GO BISON!!!!

kchats
10-21-2006, 11:25 PM
Phil Hansen is worried that the Bison will be overconfident next week because he thinks the players are too happy with playing Minnesota close. He thinks they will overlook SUU on the road because they should have beat a Big Ten team today. He is upset the players aren't more devastated with the loss instead of being happy with how they played. I hope he is wrong and I have alot of faith in Coach Bohl getting them ready to play next week. Losing to SUU would really ruin a good season.

Hammerhead
10-21-2006, 11:40 PM
That was probably one of the most exciting regular season games I've ever watched. I was on the edge of my seat the entire game.

I'd say a moral victory is OK when you are playing out of your leauge and the "experts" predict a 38-17 score.

kchats
10-22-2006, 12:12 AM
Phil thinks the Bison may take this moral victory too seriously and lose to a team they shouldn't next week. That is why moral victories are not good unless it is the final game of the season.

kchats
10-22-2006, 12:14 AM
From what I heard on TV the Bison fans did a great job making noise and turning it into a neutral or pro-Bison crowd. The announcers mentioned that as well. I am bummed the Bison lose a game they should have won and tomorrow I watch the Chiefs get pounded at home by the Chargers.

NC_Aggie
10-22-2006, 12:18 AM

Probably because Cal Poly deserves it at this time.

Great game Bison. I could only listen to a quarter, but the cheers sounded louder for NDSU than for the Gophers. Game reminds me alot of the UCD-Stanford game with the dominance in stats....only the Bison just fell short.

I am sure this is terribly dissapointing...but again great game.

kchats
10-22-2006, 12:19 AM
On CBS Sportsline's College front page they have a Saturday's By the Numbers and NDSU vs. Minnesota is #1 because of the margin of victory in the game.

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball

Bison_Kent
10-22-2006, 12:21 AM
I have to admit that I am a little down too. It was a great showing by NDSU but you get the feeling that next week could be a let down. I think Bohl will keep them up. I am kind of glad it is Southern Utah instead of Cal Poly or UC Davis for conference play.

In any event, this was a great weekend even though the result didn't come our way. Imagine all the on the fence recruits in the Twin Cities area that see what NDSU has to offer. This can only be a help. NDSU will likely be many Minnesota recruits second choice if the Gophers pass.

kchats
10-22-2006, 12:28 AM
I'm really bummed. I'm very disappointed that the Bison lost a game they shouldn't have. They controlled play all day and a couple of mistakes cost them the game. They should have punted on the 4th down on the drive just prior to the Gophers scoring drive. If they had backed them up to inside the 20 again they wouldn't have scored a TD on the Bison D. The penalty that erased the TD pass also hurt. It seemed like the Bison weren't aggressive enough in the red zone which is why they kicked field goals instead of scoring TD's.

I know the players played hard and represented NDSU well but I'm not happy they lost a game they should have won. I hope they come ready to play next week and put SUU down early.

kchats
10-22-2006, 12:40 AM
From Kolpack's Game Blog.

GAME LOG

FIRST QUARTER
NDSU: FG Shawn Bibeau 30, 7 minutes, 30 seconds remaining.
Drive: 52 yards, 10 plays, 4:16.
Key play: Official replay overturns on-field referee decision that Jerimiah Wurbacher fumbled after catching a pass from Steve Walker.
NDSU 3, UM 0

Writer Comments: Bison offensive line getting consistent surge - something to keep an eye on as game wears on. NDSU outplays Gophers, but White fumble on punt return as the quarter closes could hurt.

SECOND QUARTER
UM: FG Jason Giannini, 13:54.
Drive: 5 yards, 4 plays, 1:37.
Key play: Travis White fumbles punt return and Willie VanDeSteeg recovers at the Bison 18.

NDSU: FG Bibeau 39, 7:44.
Drive: 30 yards, 10 plays, 6:10.
Key play: John Majeski returns kickoff 39 yards to the Bison 48.
NDSU 6, UM 3

Writer Comments: Bison outplaying Gophers. What was the Vegas line on that?

THIRD QUARTER
No scoring.

Writer Comments: Could it be?

FOURTH QUARTER
UM: Amir Pinnix 5 run (Giannani kick), 10:36.
Drive: 65 yards, 10 play, 4:16.
Key play: On third-and-9, quarterback Bryan Cupito hits Mike Chambers for 33 yards to the Bison 16.
UM 10, NDSU 6

NDSU: FG Bibeau 41, 5:42.
Drive: 56 yards, 12 play, 5:04.
Key play: Walker hits Kole Heckendorf for 20 yards on third-and-13, which reaches the Gopher 30.
UM 10, NDSU 9

Writer Comments: Gophers survive on last-second blocked field goal. The better team lost this game.

MinotBison
10-22-2006, 12:56 AM
Phil Hansen is worried that the Bison will be overconfident next week because he thinks the players are too happy with playing Minnesota close. *He thinks they will overlook SUU on the road because they should have beat a Big Ten team today. *He is upset the players aren't more devastated with the loss instead of being happy with how they played. *I hope he is wrong and I have alot of faith in Coach Bohl getting them ready to play next week. *Losing to SUU would really ruin a good season.

When they look at the film, they are probably going to kick themselves. However, I don't have any doubt that Bohl will have them ready for next Saturday.

His stock, however high it was before the game, I think just got a little higher.

Hammerhead
10-22-2006, 01:06 AM
I'm bummed about the loss as was everyone in attendance at the Seattle satellite game. Still, it was an exciting game and much closer than I honestly thought it might be.

I really liked a comment I read at the gopherhole that even UND would have beat us today since the goofers played so poorly. ::)

Bisonguy
10-22-2006, 01:10 AM
I bummed that NDSU did not win a game that was easily within grasp of winning.

BTW- I did my part. I can barely talk right now. :P

mercenarybison
10-22-2006, 01:10 AM
This should help our recruiting in any case. Would have been nice to win, though.

Scooter
10-22-2006, 01:13 AM

Probably because Cal Poly deserves it at this time.

Great game Bison. *I could only listen to a quarter, but the cheers sounded louder for NDSU than for the Gophers. *Game reminds me alot of the UCD-Stanford game with the dominance in stats....only the Bison just fell short.

I am sure this is terribly dissapointing...but again great game.

NC aggie, Close the door.... grab a kleenex box.... and clean yourself up. *

kchats
10-22-2006, 01:13 AM
I'm bummed about the loss as was everyone in attendance at the Seattle satellite game. *Still, it was an exciting game and much closer than I honestly thought it might be.

I really liked a comment I read at the gopherhole that even UND would have beat us today since the goofers played so poorly. ::)

Must have been a Sioux fan. UND isn't anywhere near as good as this Bison team is.

tcbison
10-22-2006, 01:15 AM
I bummed that NDSU did not win a game that was easily within grasp of winning.

BTW- I did my part. I can barely talk right now. *:P

Well, I can't say I am elated with the loss because I believe NDSU won in every category except the score. It was a very good showing by the Bison. My biggest hope is that people don't say how bad the Gopher are but how good NDSU is.

The Bison crowd was awesome. I can barely talk as well. I hope my voice comes back for my wedding on Friday.

Minnesota_Fan
10-22-2006, 01:24 AM
Bison fans, congratulations on a near-win today. However, to keep your pecking order in the college football world in perspective, despite how good your team is this year you still lost to a last-place Big Ten team.

Good luck the rest of your season!

kchats
10-22-2006, 04:04 AM
Hey we should have won the game and your media kept crowing all week about a 30 or 40 point win for the Gophers. Look at it this way Gopher fan your team should have lost to the 6th ranked division I-AA team (that is in its third year of the transition to division I) at home. NDSU controlled the game from start to finish and if they had been more aggressive in the red zone they would have won going away. We'll see you next year with another year under our belt and more depth as we will be in the 4th year of the transition. ;)

broke_back_mnt
10-22-2006, 06:39 AM
I'm pretty sure I should have kicked myself out of the Metro Dome today. I was profane, I was loud, I was relentless. Im sorry to all around me. I know I already apologized, but I thank my God it wasnt at the Fabulous Fargo Dome. I would be in the Cass County jail Tonight!

Go BISON!!!

Anybody who says the Gophers played a bad game is nutz. It was a game for the ages. Young men playing to win. Everybody left it all out there today. 8-)

sambini
10-22-2006, 09:45 AM
+++++++++++++++

mebison
10-22-2006, 06:22 PM
Bison fans, congratulations on a near-win today. However, to keep your pecking order in the college football world in perspective, despite how good your team is this year you still lost to a last-place Big Ten team.

Good luck the rest of your season!

I am glad we don't have to go tell our opponents how bad we are just to keep them down :-?

TaTonka_31
10-23-2006, 04:45 AM
I said before the game that if the Bison could stop the run they would hang with the Gophers. *My hat is off to the Bison Defense. *U of M's offensive line is the best part of that team and you guys played them to a stand still. *Just a big time game guys.

max_cool
10-23-2006, 04:53 AM
Heck, we held the Minnesota run game to less yards than the Michigan defense!

gopherguy
10-23-2006, 02:21 PM
Great Game Bison,

I can empathize with your fans. Gopher fans know very well what its like to outplay a team thats better on paper, yet come up short. Thats college football I guess. Better teams somehow find a way to win even when they are playing poorly and their opposition playing VERY well.

What I have learned from Gopher games like this was true in this game, that TD's and turnovers rule far above all else. We have run people into the ground over the years and still lost games. If you arent winning in either category, its nearly impossible to win.

Your team had great spirit and a very good game plan. The gophers were flat and you took it to them to the end. I cant say I was surprised because I knew you had a good team. Looking forward to the rematch.

BisonBacker
10-23-2006, 02:23 PM
Believe me so are we. Thanks for the kind words but it still doesn't take the sting out of the loss. Good luck in the rest of the season.

UCABEARS75
10-23-2006, 02:29 PM
I bought the "Game Plan" this year just for games like this one.

I pulled very hard for the Bison to win one against the big guys.

Anyone who watched the game knows who the better team was and although moral victories are somewhat hollow I offer my congratulations to NDSU for having a very good team and building this type football program.