PDA

View Full Version : UND vs. The Big Ten

ndfan
05-09-2006, 05:24 AM
Thought you guys should see this. They may only be exhibition games, but I think it shows you the direction UND is going.

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/14530886.htm

lakesbison
05-09-2006, 06:15 AM
WHO>> GIVES>>>> A >>>>>>>DAM!!!!!!>>>>>>>

HEY GUESS WHAT EVERYONE!!

I WOKE UP TODAY!!!

..... oh.. by the way..... THE ONLY ALL DIVISION 1 team in the STATE has hmmm lets see....

Beat #8 ranked team in the country in basketball on their court.

Beat Minnesota in BASEBALL and Softball.

Competed with Big Ten teams for at least 2 years now.. * YAWN *..

FELL FREE TO DELETE THIS THREAD>..... its PATHETIC that SOMEONE even PLACES it on this NDSU BISON WEBSITE!!

ARGH!!!

ITS NO BIG DEAL TO AN OLD DOG LIKE NDSU......................

89rabbit
05-09-2006, 12:07 PM
Thought you guys should see this. *They may only be exhibition games, but I think it shows you the direction UND is going.

Northern State of the NSIC played Kentucky last year in an exhibition, so what? :-/

TaTonka_31
05-09-2006, 01:41 PM
Most major conference schools will play D2 and D3 teams in exhibition. You won't see any of them play them in a game that counts towards their record however. It is a huge RPI downer if they do.

jackmd
05-09-2006, 02:30 PM
Thought you guys should see this. *They may only be exhibition games, but I think it shows you the direction UND is going.

Northern State of the NSIC played Kentucky last year in an exhibition, so what? :-/

Noun 1. exhibition game - a game whose outcome is not recorded in the season's standing,
practice game

The outcome simply doesn't matter. A loss for UND is expected and a win by UND means nothing. Just the facts, jack.

RedRiver
05-09-2006, 03:09 PM

What direction is und going? I would say nowhere!!

RodentiaX
05-09-2006, 06:44 PM
Bemidji State played Missouri, Iowa State and Drake this year, also in exhibition games.

Bisonguy
05-09-2006, 09:38 PM
These games are just a little more revenue for UND's athletic budget, IMO. Nothing more, nothing less.

sambini
05-09-2006, 09:53 PM
ITS A GLORIFIED SCRIMMAGE++++++++++++++++++

RodentiaX
05-09-2006, 09:58 PM
I like playing local D-II schools in exhibition games. The D-II opponent is motivated by the change to play with the big boys, and this gives a better challenge than playing the Junior Chamber of Commerce team. I'm waiting for Bemidji to come on the schedule for Minnesota. Of course, the difference is nearly infinite between playing an exhibition game and playing a game that counts. While the D-II team is playing to win, the D-I team is using the game to get a look at all their players.

kchats
05-10-2006, 03:58 AM
UND is also making a big deal of this and trumpetting it because they think it might stem the tide in the recruiting battles they are losing badly. They can now say we will also play on Big Ten basketball courts so you don't have to attend NDSU or SDSU to do that. Of course they don't mention they don't count towards that Big Ten school's record in any way shape or form and even though the Big Ten school will blow them out playing their entire bench (mainly the end of the bench).

UND92
05-10-2006, 05:30 AM
UND is also making a big deal of this and trumpetting it because they think it might stem the tide in the recruiting battles they are losing badly. They can now say we will also play on Big Ten basketball courts so you don't have to attend NDSU or SDSU to do that. Of course they don't mention they don't count towards that Big Ten school's record in any way shape or form and even though the Big Ten school will blow them out playing their entire bench (mainly the end of the bench).
kchats, must be nice to have all the answers for UND. I ask you this question. Why do you care about UND so much?

NanoBison
05-10-2006, 05:49 AM
kchats, must be nice to have all the answers for UND. I ask you this question. Why do you care about UND so much?

Those UND folks can't stay away. They're probably scouring the site looking to see if any of us has any inside word on the Kupchella decision...

It's certainly good to be loved... :P

RodentiaX
05-10-2006, 01:31 PM
Recruits know what exhibition games are, I can't imagine that this is anything more than a very minor selling point to recruits. It might give a slight recruiting edge to a D-II school over other D-II schools. But I can't imagine any recruit who could play for a D-I school chosing a D-II school just because they could play an exhibition game against a D-I school.

kchats
05-11-2006, 04:02 AM
UND is also making a big deal of this and trumpetting it because they think it might stem the tide in the recruiting battles they are losing badly. *They can now say we will also play on Big Ten basketball courts so you don't have to attend NDSU or SDSU to do that. *Of course they don't mention they don't count towards that Big Ten school's record in any way shape or form and even though the Big Ten school will blow them out playing their entire bench (mainly the end of the bench).
kchats, must be nice to have all the answers for UND. *I ask you this question. *Why do you care about UND so much?

Because I think it would be a grave injustice for UND to benefit from the hard work that NDSU and SDSU have done in this move to division I in light of all the trash and crap they spewed at NDSU's administration and coaches during the move to division I. Why else would UND do it? Isn't this the same school headed by the same president that said we will no longer play NDSU in any sport because they have moved up to division I and the playing field is no longer level? Everything UND does is underhanded and deceitful when it comes to NDSU.

sambini
05-12-2006, 05:10 PM
VERY GOOD POINT KCHATS++++++++++++++++

Flanders
05-14-2006, 04:19 PM

Just wanted to clear something up here: UND is not making a big deal of this. They sent out a press release. As they always do. They have not trumpeted this at all. I challange you to point to one piece of info that could be construed as "UND making a big deal of this".

roadwarrior
05-15-2006, 12:17 AM
A press release to announce an exhibition game????????

Isnt the exhibition schedule something you usually find out about when you get your season tickets?

kchats
05-15-2006, 03:25 AM
Thank you Roadwarrior. UND is quite melodramatic when it comes to NDSU as well. Remember their press conference to announce that the school had decided they would not be playing NDSU in any sports? Not many schools call press conferences to announce games they won't play either. Moves like that are done to try and get the upper hand on a rival. Once again deceitful and underhanded moves by UND in regards to NDSU.

Flanders
05-15-2006, 11:17 AM
In the world of marketing, press releases are spewed out non-stop. UND does it. Even NDSU lower itself to sending out the high and mighty press release. A random check of the NDSU website provides us with several press releases on some very "weighty" issues. I don't think NDSU was trying to make a big deal out of those things.

BisonMav
05-15-2006, 11:34 AM
In the world of marketing, press releases are spewed out non-stop. *UND does it. *Even NDSU lower itself to sending out the high and mighty press release. *A random check of the NDSU website provides us with several press releases on some very "weighty" issues. *I don't think NDSU was trying to make a big deal out of those things.

What's wrong with press releases or promoting a schools athletics?
Why is it a big deal whether either school promotes itself?
Time to move on. :-?

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

UND92
05-15-2006, 03:57 PM

Isnt the exhibition schedule something you usually find out about when you get your season tickets?
Did you happen to see the two teams that UND is playing. Purdue and Indiana. The bison would be having a parade if they had these games. The bison are the kings of press conferences. Your coaches go to the bathroom and you have a press conference to talk about. Another lame agruement. Some of you guys seriously don't know what the he## your talking about.

IowaBison
05-15-2006, 04:00 PM

Did you happen to see the two teams that UND is playing. Purdue and Indiana. The bison would be having a parade if they had these games. The bison are the kings of press conferences. Your coaches go to the bathroom and you have a press conference to talk about. Another lame agruement. Some of you guys seriously don't know what the he## your talking about.

If we play Purdue or Indiana it is actually a counter. UND is on par with USA Basketball Allstars in their exhibition exploits.

NanoBison
05-15-2006, 04:20 PM

When the hell did this happen? Why wasn't I informed? Next time one of our coaches sends a package on up North, I want to hear about it.

::)

MN_BISONS
05-15-2006, 04:27 PM

Did you happen to see the two teams that UND is playing. *Purdue and Indiana. *The bison would be having a parade if they had these games. *The bison are the kings of press conferences. *Your coaches go to the bathroom and you have a press conference to talk about. *Another lame agruement. *Some of you guys seriously don't know what the he## your talking about.

NDSU would not schedule these two games, so I guess I'll be missing the parade. *Now if they were games that actually counted on the record, you know a regular season game, then yes you are correct, the Bison would schedule them and I'd be out on the street waving my Green and Gold flag as Miles and Taylor went by in the parade. *But if you think the Bison would schedule Indiana and Purdue as exhibition games you are nuts and may I suggest you put the pipe down.

jackmd
05-15-2006, 06:27 PM
[quote author=roadwarrior link=1147152284/15#17 date=1147652258]
Did you happen to see the two teams that UND is playing. *Purdue and Indiana. *The bison would be having a parade if they had these games. *The bison are the kings of press conferences. *Your coaches go to the bathroom and you have a press conference to talk about. *Another lame agruement. *Some of you guys seriously don't know what the he## your talking about.

I think most of us know who doesn't know what the hell they are talking about. *Ironic, heh?

AI's quote is really best applied here:

Iverson: I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game last it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?

Now I know that I'm supposed to lead by example and all that but I'm not shoving that aside like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I honestly do but we're talking about practice. We're talking about practice man. (laughter from the media crowd) We're talking about practice. We're talking about practice. We're not talking about the game. We're talking about practice. When you come to the arena, and you see me play, you've seen me play right, you've seen me give everything I've got, but we're talking about practice right now...... (more laughter)

The SU's don't play practice games against other DI opponents so.... they won't be sending out any press releases stating that. *Your post should read "Did you happen to see the two teams that UND is practicing against?" *(notice the question mark)

Bisonguy
05-15-2006, 09:13 PM

Are you serious? ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

A fan of a school that has press conferences to state what they are not going to do whining about NDSU having too many press conferences?

I could see it if NDSU had a press conference(s) to say they will not play UND (or at least that the decision will be made soon......) or that NDSU will not move back to DII.

Tracker
05-15-2006, 10:51 PM
The press conference your talking about was whe UND opened the multi million dollar Betty Englestad basketball and volleyball complex and UND announced their sports schedules for the year. Of course those schedules didn't include ndsu. Apparently you people thought the press conference was fairly important because you haven't stopped yapping about it since then. You guys are just going to have to get over it and try putting UND out of your mind. You are just going to have to try get over us. I know it is hard. Siouxville, I mean Bisonville is just full of Sioux talk. BREAKING NEWS !!!!! ndsu has called a press conference for tomorrow to announce they haven't had a press conference since last week.

Rodentia
05-15-2006, 11:00 PM

A parade? The Bison would be embrarrased to play a fellow D-I team in an exhibition road game. The natural order of things is that D-I teams play their exhibition games at home against lower-division teams. But even if NDSU was playing Purdue and Indiana in real games,why would there be a parade? Was there a parade when NSDU scheduled Minnesota and Wisconsin? Or Kansas State, Colorado State, Wisconsin-Green Bay, or any of the other D-I teams that the Bison played in real games last season?

Bisonguy
05-15-2006, 11:07 PM
The press conference your talking about was whe UND opened the multi million dollar Betty Englestad basketball and volleyball complex and UND announced their sports schedules for the year. *Of course those schedules didn't include ndsu. *Apparently you people thought the press conference was fairly important because you haven't stopped yapping about it since then. *You guys are just going to have to get over it and try putting UND out of your mind. *You are just going to have to try get over us. I know it is hard. * Siouxville, I mean Bisonville is just full of Sioux talk. *BREAKING NEWS !!!!! *ndsu has called a press conference for tomorrow to announce *they haven't had a press conference since last week.

Right...... ::)

Had it not been for RT's bumbling, stumbling, "I'll tell you next week if we're going to schedule NDSU" rinse and repeat over the course of many months until you're blue in the face response to the media, I would almost believe you.

What was the big news about the football schedule? Was UND playing football games in the Betty? Was there a big buzz and excitement about the addition of Mesa State to the schedule that deemed a press conference necessary?

And the press conference to announce a non-move to DI? :-X

Flanders
05-16-2006, 02:10 AM
In the world of marketing, press releases are spewed out non-stop. UND does it. Even NDSU lower itself to sending out the high and mighty press release. A random check of the NDSU website provides us with several press releases on some very "weighty" issues. I don't think NDSU was trying to make a big deal out of those things.

What's wrong with press releases or promoting a schools athletics?
Why is it a big deal whether either school promotes itself?
Time to move on. :-?

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Agreed. Thank you.

jackmd
05-16-2006, 02:11 PM

Posting something about the news release from a DII school on a DI schools fan board is where I think the problem began. Maybe I'm wrong.

UND92
05-16-2006, 03:49 PM

If we play Purdue or Indiana it is actually a counter. UND is on par with USA Basketball Allstars in their exhibition exploits.

So what if it's exhibition, your still playing in MACKEY ARENA and ASSEMBLY HALL. Two teams with very good BB tradition. Playing at INDIANA will be exciting. I don't think in the middle of this game the players are all going to stop and say, this game is exhibition and stop playing. Just look at all the history of INDIANA. I don't think the players from UND care if the game is exhibition or not, your still going there to play the game with real fans and real players and coaches. That's what it's all about. I think any player from UND or ndsu would be thrilled to go down there and play a game against those teams, exhibition or not. As far as I know they are going to have refs and keep score, that works for me. For all practical purposes the bison games the last couple of years and in the near future are all exhibition games also.

broke_back_mnt
05-16-2006, 04:04 PM
It will be a lot of fun for your team and exciting for your campus to play in a Division I basketball arena. *Just because its only an exhibition game shouldnt be a factor. *It really makes a statement about your tradition of commitment to playing the best, uneven playing field or not. *I hear some DII teams are scrappy too!! Good luck in your exhibition season. *

Do the games count on your DII record or does DII view them as exhibition as well?

NebraskaBISON
05-16-2006, 05:48 PM
Good luck. Have a good practice. All the best.

NebraskaBISON
05-16-2006, 05:50 PM
Also, it's called a trasition period. It's unavoidable and that's just the way it is. Lucky for us, it's almost over.

UND92
05-16-2006, 08:18 PM
Also, it's called a trasition period. It's unavoidable and that's just the way it is. Lucky for us, it's almost over.
I know what it's called. But the truth is your games don't mean much since you are not in a conference and can't make the big show. So you guys can practice against Kansas State and Texas Tech and we will practice against Purdue and Indiana. Point being, it doesn't matter what UND does you guys just twist it your way. You give UND crap for not playing anybody and now when we schedule two big-ten teams in BB and a runner-up team in aa FB your attitudes are just the same. When we hosted Kansas at the Ralph in front of 13,000 people it was an exhibition game. But I know I saw Roy Williams there. And I saw there players there who played hard and wanted to win. Nobody there even thought of it being an exhibition game. It was real and the place was rocking. It was a huge event for UND and the state of N.D. We have played Kansas twice in recent years and are going to be playing Indiana and Purdue. Now any NORMAL person would give a school credit for playing these teams and would have to admit it's pretty exciting.

RedRiver
05-16-2006, 09:03 PM
Also, it's called a trasition period. *It's unavoidable and that's just the way it is. *Lucky for us, it's almost over.
I know what it's called. *But the truth is your games don't mean much since you are not in a conference and can't make the big show. *So you guys can practice against Kansas State and Texas Tech and we will practice against Purdue and Indiana. *Point being, it doesn't matter what UND does you guys just twist it your way. *You give UND crap for not playing anybody and now when we schedule two big-ten teams in BB and a runner-up team in aa FB your attitudes are just the same. *When we hosted Kansas at the Ralph in front of 13,000 people it was an exhibition game. *But I know I saw Roy Williams there. *And I saw there players there who played hard and wanted to win. *Nobody there even thought of it being an exhibition game. *It was real and the place was rocking. *It was a huge event for UND and the state of N.D. *We have played Kansas twice in recent years and are going to be playing Indiana and Purdue. *Now any NORMAL person would give a school credit for playing these teams and would have to admit it's pretty exciting. *

Who the h--- cares about who your DII team is playing.

NDSU has a DI basketball schedule during the regular season. Oh ya, I heard the big Bison win at #13 Wisconsin came up during your school's gathering of DI information. That was a real game wasn't it, from ESPN to TV stations across the USA!!

rabidrabbit
05-16-2006, 09:07 PM
Also, it's called a trasition period. *It's unavoidable and that's just the way it is. *Lucky for us, it's almost over.
I know what it's called. *But the truth is your games don't mean much since you are not in a conference and can't make the big show. *So you guys can practice against Kansas State and Texas Tech and we will practice against Purdue and Indiana. *Point being, it doesn't matter what UND does you guys just twist it your way. *You give UND crap for not playing anybody and now when we schedule two big-ten teams in BB and a runner-up team in aa FB your attitudes are just the same. *When we hosted Kansas at the Ralph in front of 13,000 people it was an exhibition game. *But I know I saw Roy Williams there. *And I saw there players there who played hard and wanted to win. *Nobody there even thought of it being an exhibition game. *It was real and the place was rocking. *It was a huge event for UND and the state of N.D. *We have played Kansas twice in recent years and are going to be playing Indiana and Purdue. *Now any NORMAL person would give a school credit for playing these teams and would have to admit it's pretty exciting. *

In baseball terms, UND gets the opportunity for a spring training game against the pro types. NDSU/SDSU are the new pro-types, and games against us count toward whether the other schools make the play-offs. We even get the chance after only two years of making it to the "best of the rest" (NIT) games. And soon, with a conference, we could be in the play-offs. Likely a bottom seed, but hey even Goliath falls every now and then. Could we be a Geo. Mason in the not too distant future? :D Can a spring trainer do that? :'(

MN_BISONS
05-16-2006, 09:25 PM
quote] *When we hosted Kansas at the Ralph in front of 13,000 people it was an exhibition game. * *[/quote]

No it wasn't, it was a regular season game that counted for both teams. Nice game by the way, I wish the Bison would have landed that one.

broke_back_mnt
05-16-2006, 10:11 PM

Yea, thats true, but it still doesnt count, but hey, even with the uneven playing field, its a big deal for you guys. *DI exhibition, a dream come true! Way to go man!! * :D

NanoBison
05-16-2006, 11:36 PM
But I know I saw Roy Williams there.
Wow, the contemporary British playwright? :o ::)

Now any NORMAL person would give a school credit for playing these teams and would have to admit it's pretty exciting.
I would consider myself ABOVE normal. Normal is mediocre, but if that's what you shooting for, congratulations on your pretty exciting exhibition games..... :P

kchats
05-17-2006, 04:12 AM
After NDSU's first season of transition away from division II they have counted as a division I team on every team's schedule that they play. Their RPI plays a factor in the teams that play them getting into the tournament or getting a high seed. Yes since NDSU is in transition their stats don't get counted in the division I stats and they also don't get counted in the division II stats either. However NDSU is only 2 years from everything counting and from the rumblings from conferences talking about expansion possibly very close to conference membership.

I for one prefer where NDSU and SDSU are to the situation that UND is in.

Flanders
05-17-2006, 11:56 AM
I guess that's how you get to 2,600+ posts. With random and pointless observations such as that. Who's doubting you on that fact? Or are you just arguing with the voices in your head?

NanoBison
05-17-2006, 04:21 PM
Flanders, you have to be the most annoying new poster here.

RodentiaX
05-17-2006, 04:57 PM
So what if it's exhibition, your still playing in MACKEY ARENA and ASSEMBLY HALL. *Two teams with very good BB tradition. *Playing at INDIANA will be exciting. *I don't think in the middle of this game the players are all going to stop and say, this game is exhibition and stop playing. *Just look at all the history of INDIANA. *I don't think the players from UND care if the game is exhibition or not, your still going there to play the game with real fans and real players and coaches. *That's what it's all about. *I think any player from UND or ndsu would be thrilled to go down there and play a game against those teams, exhibition or not. *As far as I know they are going to have refs and keep score, that works for me.

Bemidji State is playing three D-I teams in exhibition games, two of them are in the Big 12. *No one is giving UND crap for playing exhibition games against D-I teams, but rather for seeming not to understand the difference between an exhibition game and one that counts. You're not going to see Purdue and Indiana give you their best effort. They will be using the game to warm up for the beginning of the season and to evaluate players. Sure, they will want to win the game, but like an NFL preseason game, it's not the primary purpose of the game.

For all practical purposes the bison games the last couple of years and in the near future are all exhibition games also.

You're correct, provided that when you say "for all practical purposes" you really mean "In no sense whatsoever". These games count. I'm sure the Wisconsin wishes that their game against the Bison was an exhibition game.

Flanders
05-17-2006, 06:28 PM

thanks+++++++++

NanoBison
05-17-2006, 07:15 PM

thanks+++++++++

But I'll still read your posts... ;)

Sticks
05-18-2006, 03:41 PM
I guess that's how you get to 2,600+ posts. *With random and pointless observations such as that. *Who's doubting you on that fact? *Or are you just arguing with the voices in your head?

This might be the best post I've read on here all year! * ;D ;D ;D

broke_back_mnt
05-18-2006, 09:34 PM
Please, your post has no content. You waste bandwidth especially the hostile abusive logo you paste up for yourself. In the spirit of the NCAA that stuff should be banned.

Add some content, Right now your just an *****.

***** banned until further notice. Lay off JBB.

***** I hear that, Im sorry. :-?

kchats
05-19-2006, 04:21 AM
After NDSU's first season of transition away from division II they have counted as a division I team on every team's schedule that they play. *Their RPI plays a factor in the teams that play them getting into the tournament or getting a high seed. *Yes since NDSU is in transition their stats don't get counted in the division I stats and they also don't get counted in the division II stats either. *However NDSU is only 2 years from everything counting and from the rumblings from conferences talking about expansion possibly very close to conference membership.

I for one prefer where NDSU and SDSU are to the situation that UND is in.

It's posts like this one that UND fans don't have an answer for. You can call NDSU's games exhibition if it makes you feel better but that isn't the case. NDSU has been playing games as a division I school and have counted on division I schools schedules. NDSU is a division I school period. They have shown they belong as well. Get over it and enjoy yourselves in division II.

Flanders
05-19-2006, 12:33 PM
Maybe the reason no one has an answer for it is because it doesn't belong in this thread. I think this thread pertains to UND playing two exhibition games against a couple Big Ten teams. Seriously, if you started ranting and raving about "The DaVinci Code" it would probably make as much sense. Your post, as it is currently stated, is irrelevant to the discussion. Please take it somewhere else. You might be surprised, but in a category titled "Other Schools", it's possible that real sports fans might want to have a peaceful, meaningful discourse.

RedRiver
05-19-2006, 01:07 PM
Kcats post is relevant as he is pointing out the difference between real DI high profile games like those on the Bison schedule and the practice games that und has scheduled before the season even starts!!

RodentiaX
05-19-2006, 01:11 PM
It's quite relevant, especially in response to the bizzare claim that NDSU's games are in any sense "exhibition games". Playing D-I teams in exhibition games is a fine thing, and I imagine that it would give a recruiting advantage over fellow D-II schools. I'm tempted to go and see Bemidji State play at Iowa State, but I believe it is in the middle of the week. If that game was not an exhibition game, but an official game, I'd probably make the game, weekday or not.

Flanders
05-19-2006, 02:11 PM
Oh. Ok. I just wish things could remain a little more civilized.

Sticks
05-19-2006, 02:49 PM
Kcats post is relevant as he is pointing out the difference between real DI high profile games like those on the Bison schedule and the practice games that und has scheduled before the season even starts!!

High profile games!? * :-?
Let's take a look at your HIGH profile exhibition games, shall we?
MBB 11/5/05 *Minnesota St-MOORHEAD
MBB 11/11/05 *Valley City State
Whoooooo.....I heard that Dick Vitale was at those.... :o

Let's take a look at some other HIGH profile reg. season games from your athletic dept: *
WBB 12/16 vs Minnesota Duluth (Lost--aren't they dii?)
WBB * 1/17 vs Valley City State
MBB * *2/8 *vs Jamestown?
MBB * 2/10 vs Mayville St?
BB * * *4/14 vs VALLEY CITY STATE? *(here they are again--can't find anyone else?--by the way, you lost one of these too)
FB * * *8/31 vs. Concordia St. Paul?*
FB * * *9/30 @ Stephen F. Austin(??)? *(is this a person?)

These are just a few examples....boy, you got some real doozy's on there....mix those in with your other "no-name" Di-AA schools and you've got yourself a HIGH profile schedule....(cue "the Wisconsin" comeback)....oh, I forgot to mention the Gophers being on your schedule, that actually is a big deal.

Bison_Dan
05-19-2006, 03:00 PM

Let's take a look at some other HIGH profile reg. season games from your athletic dept: *
BB * * *4/14 vs VALLEY CITY STATE? *(here they are again--can't find anyone else?--by the way, you lost one of these too)

These are just a few examples....boy, you got some real doozy's on there....mix those in with your other "no-name" Di-AA schools and you've got yourself a HIGH profile schedule....(cue "the Wisconsin" comeback)....oh, I forgot to mention the Gophers being on your schedule, that actually is a big deal.

Let's see - most of these games und would be a underdog in. Didn't Mayville spank und last year in MBB and VC took them to OT?
Let's see how your transition period goes - oh that's right it looks like your staying dii. und has enough trouble right now with their administration (president and AD) that looks lost. ;)

Sticks
05-19-2006, 03:25 PM
Let's see - most of these games und would be a underdog in. *Didn't Mayville spank und last year in MBB and VC took them to OT?
Let's see how your transition period goes - oh that's right it looks like your staying dii. *und has enough trouble right now with their administration (president and AD) *that looks lost. * ;)

Here's the difference though: *Scheduling teams like this (and occasionally letting them get the best of us) is somewhat of the norm for a DII school like ourselves. *You guys are the "big, bad, dI school" right? *Scheduling, and getting beat by these teams should NEVER happen. *They're inferior, outsized, and severly less talented. *Why they still continue to pop up all over your athletic schedules is beyond me. *

NebraskaBISON
05-19-2006, 03:35 PM
You sure spend a lot of time on here considering you're not a Bison fan. I'll see if Gene can work in Florida State,, Miami, Texas, USC, Nebraska, North Carolina, Georgia, UCONN, Kentucky, and Oklahoma for you next year. Maybe he can get some exhibition games with them too. I guess they all gotta be huge games to matter.

Flanders
05-19-2006, 03:51 PM
I'm confused. Do you have to be a Bison fan to post here? Why can't we have people with differing opinions contributing? If I wanted to only talk to people who agreed with me, I would have joined a fraternity.

BisonBacker
05-19-2006, 04:10 PM

Something you might just want to keep in mind. If your university ever decides to make the move up you are surely going to be looking for games to fill your schedule as well until conference affiliation. You might want to choose your words wisely when defining the level of competetion NDSU is playing as it won't be any different for you if they decide to move up. So smart or degrading comments about the schools NDSU is playing isn't a smart choice for you. Not to mention the current situation up north and your basketball teams record should be enough for you to be embarrased about. What quality teams did you lose to last year??? Lets not bother going there we already know the answer.

broke_back_mnt
05-19-2006, 04:20 PM
Differing opinions would be good, but picking non high profile games from our BB & football schedules and using that as a way to denegrate the entire schedule is foolish. Also exhibiting a lack of knowledge about the DI-AA football schedule is a measure of your insight. SFA is a respected Divsion I mid major team and a capable DI-AA football oponent.

Oh yea, and the DII BB games you listed are in fact exhibition games for NDSU. UND looks just like Valley City State to any Big Ten team your playing. The difference between exhibition and reg season is the fact the the Mayville victory over UND was a counter for both teams. The NDSU win over Mayville was an exhibition win and did not count for NDSU or Mayville.

Sticks
05-19-2006, 04:21 PM
You sure spend a lot of time on here considering you're not a Bison fan. *I'll see if Gene can work in Florida State,, Miami, Texas, USC, Nebraska, North Carolina, Georgia, UCONN, Kentucky, and Oklahoma for you next year. *Maybe he can get some exhibition games with them too. *I guess they all gotta be huge games to matter.
Nobody said this....you're missing the point--which was basically just a response to someone who still felt the need to demoralize a couple of exhibitions we have scheduled in the fall. *He compared our "practice" to your "high profile, count for something (not really), ESPN will be there" games, so I felt the need to point a few things out. *Don't read that deep into the post.

RedRiver
05-19-2006, 04:37 PM

Is that all of the examples you could find in the Bison schedules. That shows pretty well for NDSU then.

You may want to make your reservations for the Bison & Gophers in the Metrodome on October 21. Or how about the Bison basetball games with Iowa St or Texas Tech or Kansas St or Wisconsin Green-Bay or the Minnesota Gophers.

Isn't it great to have a DI regular season schedule in all sports??

lakesbison
05-19-2006, 04:39 PM
CHECK THE LAST 10 POSTS..................ALL ARE WHINY B.TCHY DIALOG'S WITH UND FANS...

IGNORE THEM AND THEY WILL GO AWAY..... .

BISON FANS.. I IMPLORE YOU TO GO TIL END OF MAY WITHOUT A RESPONSE TO AN UND FAN ON THIS BISON SITE!!!!

.............. I DARE YOU..............IF EVERYONE DOES THAT I WILL NEVER USE CAPS AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND ILL BUY THE BEER FOR THE NORTHEASTERN GAME FOR ALL OF YOU!!!

RodentiaX
05-19-2006, 04:52 PM

You utterly miss the point. D-I teams do not play high-profile teams in exhibition games. They play lower-division teams. Let's look at the teams that Big Ten teams played in exhibition games:

Illinois:
Ill-Wesleyan
Quincy

OSU
Findlay
Ashland

Iowa
Brock University of Canada
Wartburg

Wisconsin
UW River Falls
Lawrence

Indiana
St. Joseph of Indiana
Indianapolis

Michigan
Grand Valley State
Northern Michigan

Michigan State
Lake Superior State
Northern Michigan

Penn State
Lock Haven
Edinboro

Minnesota
SW Minnesota State
UM - Duluth

Purdue
Pfeiffer
Southern Illinois - Edwardsville.

These exhibition schedules are typical of those that D-I teams play in exhibition. NDSU's exhibition schedule is no different.

First of all, Stephen F. Austin is named for a person. It may come as a surprise to you, but sometimes colleges are named after people. There are other examples: James Madison (named after a President), George Mason (named after a signer of the Constitution), George Washington (named after a President, let's see if you can figure out which one), Sam Houston State, Robert Morris, Johns Hopkins. So, the idea of naming a college after a person isn't the bizzare thing you seem to imagine that it is.

Yes, D-I schools do play the occasional game against lower-division opponents. Over half of the D-I basketball programs played at least one lower-division opponent. Of course, you did not make a random sampling of NDSU's schedule, but cherry-picked the bottom of the schedule. Of course in addition to beating Wisconsin, NDSU also won a tournament, beating Montana State and Northern Illinois. Frankly, finishing 16-12 in basketball this early in transition is nothing short of phenomenal.

RodentiaX
05-19-2006, 04:59 PM
Nobody said this....you're missing the point--which was basically just a response to someone who still felt the need to demoralize a couple of exhibitions we have scheduled in the fall. *He compared our "practice" to your "high profile, count for something (not really), ESPN will be there" games, so I felt the need to point a few things out. *Don't read that deep into the post.

I don't know how anyone could demoralize a basketball game. You could demoralize fans or players, but not the game.

In any case, why shouldn't a comparison be made between exhibition games and official games? You may find it inconvenient, but it doesn't change the iron-clad ABSOLUTE FACT that NDSU's regular season games "count".

dakotadan
05-22-2006, 11:41 PM
Who the h--- cares about who your DII team is playing. *

Obviously whoever started this thread.

Flanders
05-23-2006, 01:11 AM
++++++++++++(I think I started this) ;)

RedRiver
05-25-2006, 01:22 PM

Who started this und topic??

WYOBISONMAN
05-25-2006, 01:27 PM
Thought you guys should see this. They may only be exhibition games, but I think it shows you the direction UND is going.

This was the start of the thread.......and based on recent developments, it probably shows nothing of where UND is going....

Flanders
05-25-2006, 01:34 PM

Who started this und topic??

One clue I usually rely on is to go to the beginning of the thread and see who made the first post. That's usually a tell-tale sign. If that doesn't work, I go to where it says "Thread started by" and that gives me the info I'm looking for. ;)

RedRiver
05-25-2006, 02:34 PM