PDA

View Full Version : SCSU and the NCC

broke_back_mnt
06-11-2006, 02:03 PM
http://www.sctimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060611/SPORTS/106110007/1002

I dont think you have to register, but Im not sure.

Main Pts:

1) *SCSU has visted several schools that have made the transition in the past 10 yrs including SDSU, NDSU and UNC. *They are researching a move up internally.

2) *The NCC has discussed expansion, several schools are interested but wont make any decisions until July 1. *I believe they may not be interested if Und moves. *RT would not reveal names of Universities interested.

3) *The NCC is talking about moving to DI in mass. *Doesnt look likely.

4) *The NCAA is concerned about losing the NCC, an original conference. *Its also concerned about the future of DII. *They want to keep DII.

5) *RT was a bit stunned by Bunings statements to the Fargo Forum, but he says its the Presidents opinion he is interested in.*

MinotBison
06-11-2006, 03:41 PM
http://www.sctimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060611/SPORTS/106110007/1002

I dont think you have to register, but Im not sure.

Main Pts:

1) *SCSU has visted several schools that have made the transition in the past 10 yrs including SDSU, NDSU and UNC. *They are researching a move up internally.

2) *The NCC has discussed expansion, several schools are interested but wont make any decisions until July 1. *I beleive they may not be interested if Und moves. *RT would not reveal names of Universities interested.

3) *The NCC is talking about moving to DI in mass. *

4) *The NCAA is conderned about losing the NCC, an original conference. *Its also concerned about the future of DII. *They want to keep DII.

5) *RT was a bit stunned by Bunings statements to the Fargo Forum, but he says its the Presidents opinion he is interested in.*

What about scholarships? Would they eventually offer the full amount allowed in D-1, or would they do what the NSIC does in D-II, i.e. not offering the full amount? I suspect the latter.

Also, is there anything that would compel them to offer the full compliment of scholarships? I also suspect not, as Valpo and that conference they are in don't offer the full number, at least in football.

MplsBison
06-11-2006, 03:49 PM
They're non scholarship in football.

That might be an option for them.

kchats
06-11-2006, 06:28 PM
This article from the Grand Forks Herald completely contradicts your article. It states the only school that might make the move if UND does is USD. It says the others are happy in division II. Nebraska Omaha is looking at the NSIC and MIAA if UND leaves. St. Cloud State says they are happy where they are and love division II.

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/sports/14790921.htm

Here is an interesting quote from USD's AD.

The league, which dates back to the early 1920s, has meant so much to so many schools over the years. From the 1980s until 2004, the league then at 10 schools was at its high point.

"We all hope to be together again some day," Nielsen said. "I don't know how it will happen or where it will happen. The need for us to get back together has been evident the past few years."

I don't know what he means by this. Obviously getting back together again is not the first thing in the minds of NDSU, SDSU and UNC. UNC is in the Big Sky and NDSU and SDSU are hoping to be in the Mid Con or Big Sky soon.

Here is the quote from St. Cloud State's AD.

"We love the NCC and we love Division II," St. Cloud athletic director Morris Kurtz said. "Our first preference is for a strong, viable North Central Conference."

MplsBison
06-11-2006, 07:51 PM
I could see Saint Cloud and Mankato moving up to DI with non scholarship football or no football.

bincitysioux
06-11-2006, 11:07 PM
I could see Saint Cloud and Mankato moving up to DI with non scholarship football or no football.

Really? I could see Mankato perhaps doing that, they've got solid basketball and baseball traditions and have a killer basketball venue. But would SCSU go that route. They've recently had some success on the football field, and I could be wrong on this, but I believe I've heard they are up to 30 scholarships for fb now.

MplsBison
06-11-2006, 11:11 PM
They've also just build the new stadium (with what, 5k capacity?). They'd have to do up the whole upgrade to get to 10-15k and add 30 more scholarships as well as more coaching salary, and more travel.

IE, a boatload of cash.

I could see them dropping football to go DI if that is what it would take.

Not to mention, Saint John's gets more people to their games than SC ever has. Mankato doesn't even have that problem.

That's probably why SC and Mankato will join the NSIC or make an all Minnesota DII leauge (Bemidji, Winona, Marshall, Duluth, Saint Cloud, Mankato, Moorhead, maybe Saint Thomas?).

broke_back_mnt
06-11-2006, 11:51 PM
SCSU would be a great non scholarship DI-AA team. They can seat just over 4,000 and have good DII teams. As a BISON fan I have a lot of respect for SCSU. They would look good on a DI BB schedule.

MplsBison
06-14-2006, 01:34 PM
Coop will never happen.

They could be DII with DI hockey for a long time and I doubt anyone would complain.

I think a DII Minnesota conference wouldn't be a bad idea. Saint Cloud, Mankato, Duluth, and Bemidji as the DI hockey schools and Winona, Moorhead, Marshall, and maybe Crookston(?) to round out the league.

IowaBisonToo
06-14-2006, 02:45 PM
I DO NOT THINK ST.CLOUD OR MANKATO WILL EVER GO DI. HOCKEY IS THE ONLY SPORT THAT WILL BE *D1. UNLESS THEY COOP ?
Maybe we could get BBJR or whatever he's calling himself these days to get Mankato and SCS together to talk about CO-OPing. ;D ;D ;D

Seriously, though, I wouldn't say "EVER GO DI."

- They have a larger student population than any other school in the tri-state area other than UM-TC. *That in turn means they have a lot of alumni (myself included ;)).

- They have always had a fairly decent BB program which could easily translate into a reputable DI program.

-They have close proximity to the Twin Cities which would make recruiting even easier than what they have now. *There are a lot of kids that wouldn't mind if they were only an hour away from home playing DI ball for those that the UM didn't want - and there are plenty.

- I think the other programs would be just fine, too. *They've never had a real big tradition in any sport so, I think if the money were there, it may be an easier transition than a DII team with a lot of success in something. *Think of it this way. *What would happen if a school like NDSU who had a winning tradition in say mens BB moved up and were constantly at the bottom of the standings in whatever conference they were in? *Fan support dwindles. *Players don't want to play for you anymore. *Etc. *If the school is already mediocre in a sport and they started bringing in top teams to play, more exciting ball, the stigma of being DI, there might be more excitement behind the school and it might take off faster than expected.

- FB, on the other hand, is where I think you'll see the road block to DI. *With schools like NDSU, SDSU, UNC and now possibly UND leaving the NCC, SCS may see that as the chance to become the "power" in DII FB they couldn't be a few years back. *If you could convince the alumni and players that DI non-scholarship is good and find a coach to take them there (the current one I would almost guarantee would leave), then I think SCS would go DI fairly easily - as long as they could fund a new BB arena and I think they could.

So, Sambini, I wouldn't say "EVER." :)

Bison_Dan
06-14-2006, 06:51 PM
I DO NOT THINK ST.CLOUD OR MANKATO WILL EVER GO DI. HOCKEY IS THE ONLY SPORT THAT WILL BE *D1. UNLESS THEY COOP ?
Maybe we could get BBJR or whatever he's calling himself these days to get Mankato and SCS together to talk about CO-OPing. ;D ;D ;D

Seriously, though, I wouldn't say "EVER GO DI."

- They have a larger student population than any other school in the tri-state area other than UM-TC. *That in turn means they have a lot of alumni (myself included ;)).

- They have always had a fairly decent BB program which could easily translate into a reputable DI program.

-They have close proximity to the Twin Cities which would make recruiting even easier than what they have now. *There are a lot of kids that wouldn't mind if they were only an hour away from home playing DI ball for those that the UM didn't want - and there are plenty.

- I think the other programs would be just fine, too. *They've never had a real big tradition in any sport so, I think if the money were there, it may be an easier transition than a DII team with a lot of success in something. *Think of it this way. *What would happen if a school like NDSU who had a winning tradition in say mens BB moved up and were constantly at the bottom of the standings in whatever conference they were in? *Fan support dwindles. *Players don't want to play for you anymore. *Etc. *If the school is already mediocre in a sport and they started bringing in top teams to play, more exciting ball, the stigma of being DI, there might be more excitement behind the school and it might take off faster than expected.

- FB, on the other hand, is where I think you'll see the road block to DI. *With schools like NDSU, SDSU, UNC and now possibly UND leaving the NCC, SCS may see that as the chance to become the "power" in DII FB they couldn't be a few years back. *If you could convince the alumni and players that DI non-scholarship is good and find a coach to take them there (the current one I would almost guarantee would leave), then I think SCS would go DI fairly easily - as long as they could fund a new BB arena and I think they could.

So, Sambini, I wouldn't say "EVER." :)

The big reason by not - MONEY. They don't even have the full scholarship limit for dii.

MplsBison
06-14-2006, 09:56 PM
Also, aren't Saint Cloud and Mankata's student bodies a bit deceiving? Aren't they mostly commuter schools?

BisonMav
06-15-2006, 01:27 AM
Also, aren't Saint Cloud and Mankata's student bodies a bit deceiving? Aren't they mostly commuter schools?

You might be thinking of UNO!

roadwarrior
06-15-2006, 01:31 AM
I do not have any idea at the number, but I know that there are students at both Mankato and St Cloud that live in the twin cities and commute to classes.

IowaBisonToo
06-15-2006, 01:51 PM
I do not have any idea at the number, but I know that there are students at both Mankato and St Cloud that live in the twin cities and commute to classes.
I guess I don't know if you'd call that deceiving. :-? Those are still numbers and more importantly, they still count as students and eventually, alumni - regardless of whether or not they commute. SCS is far from being classified as a commuter school.

broke_back_mnt
06-15-2006, 02:54 PM
If you have ever been on the SCSU campus you know they have a lot of dorms and they are full. Also if you have driven around the campus area its a lot like NDSU. Most of the property for blocks around is devoted to student housing. Its not a commuter school.

MplsBison
06-15-2006, 10:15 PM
Being a commuter school does have an effect on football attendance.

Take Sac State and San Jose State.

Both have enrollments around 30k.

rabidrabbit
06-16-2006, 06:39 PM

You might be thinking of UNO!

UNO is DEFINITELY A COMMUTER school. My master's was taken there.

RodentiaX
06-16-2006, 08:26 PM

That's true at just about any school. There are always students who live close enough to their parents' house to drive to school, or at least to go home for the weekend to get free laundry and identifiable food. But I doubt there are a whole lot of students who make the drive to St. Cloud from the Twin Cities on a daily basis. At Bemidji State, Thursday was a big party night, because a lot of students went home on the weekends.

BismarckBison
06-16-2006, 08:28 PM
UNO - If I remember correctly UNO does not have any dorms?

BisonMav
06-16-2006, 08:39 PM
UNO - If I remember correctly UNO does not have any dorms?

That was true when I was there, but they may have built some dorms recently.

sambini
06-17-2006, 04:19 AM
THEY HAVE

rabidrabbit
06-22-2006, 01:41 AM
USD fan site discussion on their options.

http://coyotesports.proboards100.com/index.cgi?board=talk&action=display&thread=1144552 782&page=8

I'll note that in 8 pages of discussion, ONLY 13 actual USD fans have participated in the discussion, and generally it's splitting 1/2 - 1/2 D-I or MIAA. NCC/NSIC maybe. DAC - Not acceptable.

Lots of bunnies, sioux, even Drake backers.

Swaghook
06-22-2006, 02:28 AM
Time for the NCC to sink or swim. Funny how it looks like what was considered the lesser of the two confrences the NSIC is going to swallow what's left of the NCC instead of the NCC poaching from the NSIC. Kinda like Kmart buying Sears.