View Full Version : More problems at Mayville

MplsBison
06-30-2006, 01:44 PM
http://in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=131597&section=Sports

When is the school being shut down?

broke_back_mnt
07-01-2006, 01:14 PM
Plan to save Mayville unveiled.

Hire new controller. Cut 4 positions, leave 11 open. Eliminate low enrollment programs, close a dorm. Get heating subsidy from State.

http://www.in-forum.com/ap/index.cfm?page=view&id=D8IIS6P03

MplsBison
07-01-2006, 11:40 PM
I think I have a better plan than that: turn Mayville into a junior college.

Swaghook
07-01-2006, 11:45 PM
I think I have a better plan than that: turn Mayville into a junior college.Ideally this should be done. It could be the remedial school for NDSU. Having a third 4 year school so close to the states two largest U's is just not a good idea. But it would be a good Junior college for students from the valley that want to start out at a smaller college and ease into higher learning.

MplsBison
07-02-2006, 01:47 AM
And then the school won't have to be closed which (somehow) means that the town is saved as well as none of the sports have to be cut.

They can compete in the MonDak conference with NDSCS.

sambini
07-02-2006, 09:38 PM
WASN,T MR. POTTS SUPPOSE TO OVER SEE MAYVILLE TOO?

TheBisonator
07-02-2006, 09:58 PM
When I moved back to Fargo in 2003, it took me a while to figure out that Mayville State was a 4-year university, and not a technical college. I personally think it would do them best if they turn into a 2-year tech college like Science.

BisonBacker
07-04-2006, 11:45 AM
I think I have a better plan than that: turn Mayville into a junior college.Ideally this should be done. It could be the remedial school for NDSU. Having a third 4 year school so close to the states two largest U's is just not a good idea. But it would be a good Junior college for students from the valley that want to start out at a smaller college and ease into higher learning.

There are enough junior colleges within 150-200 miles of Fargo, GF, Wahpeton that we don't need another. That just prolongs the problem and that is with the population base and the number of kids college age in North Dakota its ridiculous to have it open period. Same goes for VCSU.

BisonBacker
07-04-2006, 11:47 AM
Folks need to take a look at Wyoming and see what they are doing. There's a state with a low population and look at how many colleges they have. North Dakota once again wants to live in the past. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that with low enrollment and figures in the red that the school should be made either private or closed.

MplsBison
07-04-2006, 01:44 PM
Wyoming has 1 large doctoral reseach university and 7 two year schools.

That is the ideal system for a low population state, in my opinion.

North Dakota could be close to to this by having 2 doctoral research universities and then 9 junior colleges.

I think Mayville could be turned into a JC.

However, I have a feeling that it would be very hard to turn VC into a JC and next to impossible to turn Minot and Dickinson into JCs.

Just for comparison, both North Dakota and South Dakota have 6 universities and 5 junior colleges each.

WYOBISONMAN
07-05-2006, 01:59 PM
Wyoming has 1 large doctoral reseach university and 7 two year schools.

That is the ideal system for a low population state, in my opinion.

North Dakota could be close to to this by having 2 doctoral research universities and then 9 junior colleges.

I think Mayville could be turned into a JC.

However, I have a feeling that it would be very hard to turn VC into a JC and next to impossible to turn Minot and Dickinson into JCs.

Just for comparison, both North Dakota and South Dakota have 6 universities and 5 junior colleges each.

It works very well here. Capser people will do some complaining about not having a 4 year school, but over all I think most here like it.

MplsBison
07-05-2006, 02:25 PM
Are there any private schools?

Maybe someone in Casper could start a University of Casper like the Universty of Sioux Falls. Or something.