PDA

View Full Version : Augie may be looking at D-I

89rabbit
07-05-2006, 06:51 PM
I know it sounds crazy, but *. *. *. *

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060704/SPORTS/607040323/1002/SPORTS

Augie to study athletic changes

From staff reports
July 4, 2006

Faced with upheaval in the North Central Conference, Augustana College is putting together a committee to study its options for the Viking athletic program.

The committee with be co-chaired by Sioux Falls business leaders Kelby Krabbenhoft, President and CEO of Sioux Valley Hospitals & Health System and Dennis Anderson, president of First Dakota Title. Incoming Augustana President Rob Oliver will also be among the leaders of the group.

Two weeks ago, the University of North Dakota announced it was leaving the NCC and Division II to join the ranks of Division I programs. The Fighting Sioux became the fourth NCC team to leave the NCC for Division I in recent years joining the University of Northern Colorado, South Dakota State University and North Dakota State University. *. *. *. *(read more)

Go State! *:)

RodentiaX
07-05-2006, 06:58 PM
As a private college, it's somewhat easier, just a matter of money. There are a lot of D-I private schools that don't have small enrollments. If they have the cash, they can make the move. But they do have to look at all of their options, any NCC school that isn't considering all their options is foolish. No one wants to get caught with their pants down if the NCC goes under.

BisonMav
07-05-2006, 07:11 PM
They could go non-scholarship in football.

BisonBacker
07-05-2006, 07:35 PM
I know it sounds crazy, but *. *. *. *

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060704/SPORTS/607040323/1002/SPORTS

Augie to study athletic changes

From staff reports
July 4, 2006

Faced with upheaval in the North Central Conference, Augustana College is putting together a committee to study its options for the Viking athletic program.

The committee with be co-chaired by Sioux Falls business leaders Kelby Krabbenhoft, President and CEO of Sioux Valley Hospitals & Health System and Dennis Anderson, president of First Dakota Title. Incoming Augustana President Rob Oliver will also be among the leaders of the group.

Two weeks ago, the University of North Dakota announced it was leaving the NCC and Division II to join the ranks of Division I programs. The Fighting Sioux became the fourth NCC team to leave the NCC for Division I in recent years joining the University of Northern Colorado, South Dakota State University and North Dakota State University. *. *. *. *(read more)

Go State! *:)

Monkey's will be flying out of 89rabbits butt before this happens. :D

IowaBisonToo
07-05-2006, 08:17 PM
I wonder if that would be a thorn in the side of USF? For anybody living in the area, they should know that USF is THE school in Sioux Falls. I wonder if USF people would try and put a stop to it and/or degrade the move a la what has happened to a couple of land-grant schools that recently moved up to DI. ;)

RodentiaX
07-05-2006, 08:20 PM
There's nothing they could do to put a stop to it. Augustana is a private school, so USF wouldn't have any leverage.

TheBisonator
07-05-2006, 11:24 PM
Oh, OK, fine. Come in in, Augustana!!! UND?? Sure, step right in!!! USD?? Come on over to DI!!! St. Cloud?? You'd be PERFECT!!! Mankato?? We're waiting for you!! Anyone else we should take in?? UM-Duluth!! Why don't you join us!!! Howzabout Mary!!! You guys seem too good for DII already!!! How about Minnesota State-Moorhead!! They'd be perfect!!! Come on in, Southwest Minnesota State, Winona State, Valley City State, Jamestown, UM-Morris, UM-Crookston, Concordia, the other Concordia... Gustavus Adolphus!!! They'd be PERFECT!!! Join us Augsburg, won't you?? Any high schools we should encourage to step up to DI?? How about Fargo Shanley!!! Maybe Grand Forks Central would be good in DI!!! How about the Carrington American Legion athletic clubs!!! They'd hold their own in DI!!! Maybe I should start my own one-man college and enter DI myself!!! Can I blow my freaking brains out now??? :P :P :P

broke_back_mnt
07-05-2006, 11:43 PM
;D

Bisonguy
07-05-2006, 11:52 PM
Oh, OK, fine. Come in in, Augustana!!! UND?? Sure, step right in!!! USD?? Come on over to DI!!! St. Cloud?? You'd be PERFECT!!! Mankato?? We're waiting for you!! Anyone else we should take in?? UM-Duluth!! Why don't you join us!!! Howzabout Mary!!! You guys seem too good for DII already!!! How about Minnesota State-Moorhead!! They'd be perfect!!! Come on in, Southwest Minnesota State, Winona State, Valley City State, Jamestown, UM-Morris, UM-Crookston, Concordia, the other Concordia... Gustavus Adolphus!!! They'd be PERFECT!!! Join us Augsburg, won't you?? Any high schools we should encourage to step up to DI?? How about Fargo Shanley!!! Maybe Grand Forks Central would be good in DI!!! How about the Carrington American Legion athletic clubs!!! They'd hold their own in DI!!! Maybe I should start my own one-man college and enter DI myself!!! Can I blow my freaking *brains out now??? :P :P :P

Fargo South would make a much better DI member than GF Central. :P

sambini
07-06-2006, 12:44 AM
Kelby Krabbenhoft is a cousin of Pat Simmers wife Susie. Also played hoops at Concordia College.

ndsubison
07-06-2006, 01:33 AM
Valpo. Plain & simple. That's the only way they're gonna do it. Re-prioritize the VALPO way.

roadwarrior
07-06-2006, 02:24 AM
Way to go Bisonator! My thoughts exactly.

broke_back_mnt
07-06-2006, 02:37 AM
They are going to be a beautiful Valpo, and maybe a nice looking member of the Mid Con? I cant wait to play a D1 Augi in Basketball. I think they should be included now. 8-)

TheBisonator
07-06-2006, 04:37 AM
They are going to be a beautiful Valpo, and maybe a nice looking member of the Mid Con? *I cant wait to play a D1 Augi in Basketball. * I think they should be included now. * 8-)

And I am the Lord Jesus Christ. http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/images/rofl.gif

RodentiaX
07-06-2006, 01:38 PM
Just a matter of money. If they can fund a D-I program, they would hardly be the only private school of their size in D-I.

Winona State would not be out of place in D-I, they have a good football program, and a D-II champion basketball team and an enrollment of over 8,000.

Geographically at least, Duluth would make a good D-I contender.

RedRiver
07-06-2006, 01:51 PM
Just a matter of money. If they can fund a D-I program, they would hardly be the only private school of their size in D-I.

Winona State would not be out of place in D-I, they have a good football program, and a D-II champion basketball team and an enrollment of over 8,000.

I believe that it takes more than just money to be a successfull DI athletic instiution.

IowaBisonToo
07-06-2006, 02:42 PM
I guess I don't see what the big deal is if another school in the area - besides the two current and one probable - want to look into the DI thing.?.? :-? *There are a number of schools that aren't that large and, IMHO, probably shouldn't be in DI, but they are.

Take for instance, I remember a couple of years back when Georgia State University made the NCAAs in mens BB. *I actually have a colleague who is a professor down there. *While in Atlanta for a conference one year, we went to visit her and got to tour the "campus" - if you can call it that. *I don't know what the student population is down there but you want to talk about a commuter school, GSU's picture is in the dictionary next to that term. *Their gymnasium is horrific! *It might hold a couple of hundred "fans." *Yet, they are in DI and made it to the tourney. *If Augie or SCSU or even Winona would ever want to go DI, why not? *You need to remember that not all schools are in it to compete in FB as is NDSUs bread and butter. *If Augie can field a decent team in BB or softball, play good competition - whatever conference they could get into - and have fan support, why not?

For people to look at other schools and say they shouldn't do it is no different than what fans at UND were saying about NDSU just a few years back. *People on this board bitched about it then, why should we stoop to the same level now?

Personally, if Augie wants to go DI and can get the support of their alumni and the city of Sioux Falls, wonderful. *I doubt they'd be in the same league as say NDSU and SDSU in terms of FB but there is no reason that someday they couldn't be good in BB or softball or volleyball. *Maybe some of us Bison fans are a little scared of comepetition? *:o ;)

RodentiaX
07-06-2006, 02:57 PM
I believe that it takes more than just money to be a successfull DI athletic instiution. *

Money is essential, but it doesn't guarantee success, of course. But the could be as successful as other D-I schools of their size.

Bison_Dan
07-06-2006, 05:55 PM
I don't understand why anyone would think that augie could go DI when they can't or won't fully fund themselves in dii? It doesn't make any sense to me. :-/

RodentiaX
07-06-2006, 06:37 PM
I don't know where they would get the money either. But they could if they get the donors. I think they are just making sure they've looked at all their options in case the NCC goes under.

BisonMav
07-06-2006, 06:50 PM
I don't know where they would get the money either. But they could if they get the donors. I think they are just making sure they've looked at all their options in case the NCC goes under.

If the went non-scholarship in football, there's the scholaship money right there.

markerman
07-06-2006, 07:07 PM

It takes a lot more than athletic success to make a successful jump to DI (most namely money, money and money)....

BisonBacker
07-06-2006, 08:06 PM
I guess I don't see what the big deal is if another school in the area - besides the two current and one probable - want to look into the DI thing.?.? :-? *There are a number of schools that aren't that large and, IMHO, probably shouldn't be in DI, but they are.

Take for instance, I remember a couple of years back when Georgia State University made the NCAAs in mens BB. *I actually have a colleague who is a professor down there. *While in Atlanta for a conference one year, we went to visit her and got to tour the "campus" - if you can call it that. *I don't know what the student population is down there but you want to talk about a commuter school, GSU's picture is in the dictionary next to that term. *Their gymnasium is horrific! *It might hold a couple of hundred "fans." *Yet, they are in DI and made it to the tourney. *If Augie or SCSU or even Winona would ever want to go DI, why not? *You need to remember that not all schools are in it to compete in FB as is NDSUs bread and butter. *If Augie can field a decent team in BB or softball, play good competition - whatever conference they could get into - and have fan support, why not?

For people to look at other schools and say they shouldn't do it is no different than what fans at UND were saying about NDSU just a few years back. *People on this board bitched about it then, why should we stoop to the same level now?

Personally, if Augie wants to go DI and can get the support of their alumni and the city of Sioux Falls, wonderful. *I doubt they'd be in the same league as say NDSU and SDSU in terms of FB but there is no reason that someday they couldn't be good in BB or softball or volleyball. *Maybe some of us Bison fans are a little scared of comepetition? *:o ;)

I don't think it has anything to do with "Bison fans being scared of competition". When the wannabe's to the north were clamoring about NDSU's move it was out of jealousy and hatred. When folks (no matter where they are from) comment on Augie or Winona or the wannabes up to the north its more a matter of practicality. Funding is just part of the equation. I don't want to see schools such as Augie or any other who are not fully commited (und) attempt to make the move. Otherwise we will just end up with the same folks who let DII become the watered down division it is now move up and dilute the DI (AA for football) division. Say what you want about competition but one thing NDSU unlike some others in this area has never shyed away from competition and the fans have always supported scheduling the best. Maybe that's why many don't want to see schools who were dragged into DI kicking and screaming not move up or at least not be on NDSU's schedule. We moved up to be with our peer institutions not with schools who "had to move up because they had no other choice".

kchats
07-08-2006, 03:55 AM
What is the impetus for Augie and the other NCC schools looking at division I? Is it because the institution feels division I is where they belong. Is it because they are fearful of their athletic programs spiraling downward due to the diluting of division II? No they are looking at division I because the NCC is crumbling around them due to NDSU, SDSU, UNC and possibly UND moving to division I. If you aren't doing it for the right reason why do it? They better spend their money on an outside and impartial consultant to study the move for them to make sure they can do it and that it is where they belong.

DIBISON
07-08-2006, 04:22 AM
What is the impetus for Augie and the other NCC schools looking at division I? *Is it because the institution feels division I is where they belong. *Is it because they are fearful of their athletic programs spiraling downward due to the diluting of division II? *No they are looking at division I because the NCC is crumbling around them due to NDSU, SDSU, UNC and possibly UND moving to division I. *If you aren't doing it for the right reason why do it? *They better spend their money on an outside and impartial consultant to study the move for them to make sure they can do it and that it is where they belong.

All of that is true beginning with UND and the other NCC schools now considering such a move. And this is what NDSU said in 2002 and these other schools are finally getting it four years later!!