PDA

View Full Version : SDSU MidCon site visit

cabis
08-11-2006, 12:33 AM
Hey bunnies, any word on how the visit is going?

sambini
08-11-2006, 12:43 AM
Hope it goes well for you folks+++

DIBISON
08-11-2006, 01:43 AM
Good luck to SDSU and hope your visit goes as almost as well as the one at NDSU. ;) ;)

BisonMav
08-11-2006, 01:45 AM
Good luck to SDSU and *hope your visit goes as almost as well as the one at NDSU. *;) ;)

Good Luck Rabbits :)
http://www.chichesterinc.com/images/42-01Lg.JPG

Bisonguy
08-11-2006, 01:59 AM
Best wishes to SDSU on their Mid-Con campus visit!!!

rabidrabbit
08-11-2006, 02:35 AM
I'm not there in Brookings, so can only read what's occurring. *

But there is virtually no posts made at the Bunny Board, totally unlike the NDSU experience, and posts here at Bisonville.

http://www.sdsufans.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1152150847/53#53

But I have confidence that we, all 3, will be invited.

I was looking over the SDSU football media guide.
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/F/FBC_SDSU_PREVIEW_SDOL-?SITE=SDSIO&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

I had the ACADEMIC all-GWFC team up. *Geez, SDSU (13) & NDSU (11) dominated that category.

If the Mid-Con is looking for schools that embrace the student-athletes, NDSU & SDSU will both be beacons.

kchats
08-11-2006, 02:46 AM
Here is an article from the Sioux Falls Argus Leader on the site visit. *Sounds much more low key than the NDSU visit in Fargo. *How many days are they spending at SDSU? *I believe they spent 3 at IPFW and 3 at NDSU but if they started today they only have tomorrow before the weekend.

I too am hopeful SDSU's visit goes well they have been a great partner to NDSU in our transition. *It is always good to have a respected friend in your conference and in your transition. *NDSU is fortunate SDSU was the other school with the leadership and foresight to make the move at the same time. *The institutions have done a great job of working together to improve and get what they want.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060810/SPORTS0202/608100349/1002

And from the Brookings Register

http://www.brookingsregister.com/main.php?story_id=3439&page=25

mikelsch
08-11-2006, 03:45 PM
SDSU's visit started on Wednesday evening with Tom Douple and his 2 associate commissioners. Meetings were set for all day Thursday and Friday with the entire site-visit-team. The Mid-Con had the same general agenda for all 3 schools.

89rabbit
08-12-2006, 02:04 AM
President Miller, Dr. Oien, and Sioux Falls' Mayor Munson picked up Oakland's President Gary D. Russi in Sioux Falls on Wed. they took a tour of Sioux Falls and it's athletic facilities and then had dinner. The next day was spent in Brookings before a flight to the Black Hills to visit with the South Dakota Board of Regents out in Spearfish. This trip to the Western edge of the state is another reason why the media coverage has been different from what took place in Fargo. They have since flown back to Brookings and from my sources all seems to be going very well. I would expect that we will hear more after tonight's dinner which I understand will include members of the media.

Go State! :)

Scooter
08-12-2006, 03:13 AM
Hope everything goes OK for you guys.

From all of us currently holding the Dakota Marker 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Go Bison.

89rabbit
08-12-2006, 03:42 AM
From KSFY:

http://www.ksfy.com/Stories/Story.cfm?SID=7905

Mid-Con Visit A Success at SDSU

http://www.ksfy.com/images/stories/S7905_P1.JPG

(Brookings) "Well we are prepared to add one, two or three schools. We already have schedules completed and worked out different scenario's. I will say this and I think I can speak for the whole group, we are leaving here with a very favorable impression of this entire university and community."

That's according to Mid Continent Conference Commissioner Tom Douple. *With those comments, South Dakota State could be on the verge of joining the Mid Continent Conference. *Friday evening, Mid Con officials wrapped up their three day visit at SDSU, and from the sounds of it, Mid-Con officials liked what they saw and heard from SDSU officials. *. *. *. *(read more)

Go State! *:)

roadwarrior
08-12-2006, 06:00 AM
I never doubted the reaction in Brookings.

89rabbit
08-12-2006, 02:37 PM
Longer story from the Argus:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060812/SPORTS0202/608120322/1003/rss03

Mid-Con site visit a hit
Conference members 'pleased' with SDSU's facilities, academics

Chris Solari
csolari@argusleader.com
August 12, 2006

BROOKINGS -- Peggy Miller and Fred Oien could barely contain their smiles.

One by one, the seven Mid-Continent Conference leaders took their turn gushing about South Dakota State on Friday evening. They said they were moved by the passion of the community and campus for Jackrabbit athletics, and admitted being "jealous" of the school's funding model and overall academic make-up.

Most of all, they couldn't seem to mention enough about "how pleased" they were with the visit. . . . (read more)

Go State! :)

Trimmy
08-12-2006, 03:55 PM
Awesome! It obviously bodes well for both of us that both visits seem to have gone so well.

kchats
08-12-2006, 07:40 PM
Hard to see the Mid Con adding fewer than 3 universities. I think all three, NDSU, SDSU and IPFW, impressed them at the site visit.

Great news for the three and great news for the Mid Con. I can't wait until September to learn of the invite. ;D

SDSUFAN
08-12-2006, 08:49 PM
I cant imagine anything less than an invitation to all three schools. If they have spent this amount of time and money in travel for a visit and came away with good impressions of all three schools, then its hard for them now to say "Sorry Cant do this at this time." It would have been nice to have Richard Roberts come to Brookings. I believe that is Oral's son who used to be on one of the cable channels a great deal maybe the Inspiration Channel? *If NDSU is one of the best secrets kept, then I would think Richard would have made the same comment for SDSU and its community. *The group that visited SDSU would probably be equally impressed with NDSU.

I dont recall seeing representatives from SUU or from UMKC as part of the visiting groups, was this just a coincidence or does that have some hidden meaning? Correct me if I am wrong here. I am happy that the WIU AD made *the comments he made about SDSU. I just dont recall seeing reps from these schools mentioned.

Also Mid Cons has built a conference schedule to go with scenerio of all three being admitted as members. It would be interesting to know travel costs of all three as opposed to admitting just one, or two. I think schedules in general work best with an even number. Considering seven members after Valpo leaves, it would mean either one or three schools being chosen. *With three the Mid Con is better prepared to live with other current members moving on to another conference, which does seem very likely.

It will be a relief to find out what happens at the next Mid Con Presidents meeting.

roadwarrior
08-12-2006, 10:40 PM
The UMKC faculty rep made the trip to Fargo.

bincitysioux
08-13-2006, 12:13 AM
Good luck to both SDSU and NDSU at getting into the Mid-Con.

89rabbit
08-13-2006, 04:29 AM
Another story this time from the Brookings Register:

http://www.brookingsregister.com/main.php?story_id=3451&page=25

Mid-Con officials give thumbs up

BY JOSH LINEHAN

One by one, members of the Mid-Continent Conference's site visit delegation took the stage at the Performing Arts Center on campus Friday and extolled the virtues of SDSU.
After visiting Fargo, N.D., and NDSU earlier in the week, the delegation met with more than 100 people and toured the campus and athletic facilities in both Sioux Falls and Brookings.
"We're leaving here with a very favorable impression of the campus and the athletic department," Mid-Con Commissioner Tom Douple said.
On stage with Fred Oien, SDSU athletic director, and Peggy Gordon Miller, SDSU president, the seven visitors all had mostly positive reviews following their tours.
Douple twice took the opportunity to laud Miller and Oien for moving the university to the Division I level, saying, "It was a bold move, but through your vision and courage, it has become a reality, and you are to be commended." *. *. *. *(read more)

Go State! *:)

cabis
08-13-2006, 05:13 AM
Good job SDSU!
It is really looking like all 3 schools will get the nod. A 10 team MidCon sound just right to me!

RodentiaX1
08-13-2006, 05:13 PM
Does the vote have to be unanimous? Also, do we have any idea when in September the decision will be made?

NDSUstudent
08-13-2006, 05:29 PM
Does the vote have to be unanimous? Also, do we have any idea when in September the decision will be made?

5 votes are needed out of the 7 members and the vote is supposed to take place the second week in September. With all the positive comments coming out the visits I would really have to expect the vote unanimous in favor to add all three schools.

SDSUFAN
08-13-2006, 06:20 PM
The UMKC faculty rep made the trip to Fargo.

Thanks I guess I missed that detail.

NDSUguy
08-14-2006, 02:03 PM
let's all hope for the best! Go Mid-Con!!!!