PDA

View Full Version : reason for uno turmoil is

suherdscribe
08-13-2006, 07:53 PM
I just read the UNO stories and there is a reason for budjet shortfall ... hockey. UND is in trouble because of women's hockey to the tune of $250k. Now Omaha reports a $440k shortfall, why,
hockey and major contributor. And, Mankato and St. CLoud are in trouble due to hockey.

To those who think NDSU should add/consider hockey are NUTS!!!!. The Bison are pointed in the right direction with it's athletic programs. Just keep an eye on the targets ahead, Mid-con and then a football conference that doesn't include current or former NCC schools. Possbile Gateway for football.

The NDSU traditions built in D-2 are going forward and headed in the right direction with D-1 moves.

BisonBacker
08-13-2006, 11:05 PM
I would agree with that assesment completely. Hockey by itself isn't the problem but with title IX and hockey combined its a huge problem. This is going to be interesting to watch as the whole DI thing unravels in GF but don't expect it to be any different than UNO, St. Cloud or Mankato. It's already a problem ie. the budget problems in GF but trying to push everything up to the next level may turn out to be a huge mistake. At least as long as they have the weight around their neck of hockey and title IX. Now I have to go find my stick and a dead horse. ;D ;D ;D

IowaBison
08-14-2006, 01:12 PM
UNO is absolutely finished as an athletic department, imo.

They lied to their major donors about the books. Going so far as to have received performance bonuses based on faulty numbers. UNO needs to clean house-personnel, programs,... and try to rebuild these relationships.

NDSUguy
08-14-2006, 02:02 PM

They lied to their major donors about the books. Going so far as to have received performance bonuses based on faulty numbers. UNO needs to clean house-personnel, programs,... and try to rebuild these relationships.

Not good at all! I don't think that hockey is bad but there needs to be a balance. Hockey is expensive. Maybe 10 years from now when we're established we can *think* about looking into hockey. As of right now, let's focus on football and basketball (the real money makers).

BisonBacker
08-14-2006, 02:13 PM

They lied to their major donors about the books. *Going so far as to have received performance bonuses based on faulty numbers. *UNO needs to clean house-personnel, programs,... and try to rebuild these relationships.

Not good at all! *I don't think that hockey is bad but there needs to be a balance. *Hockey is expensive. *Maybe 10 years from now when we're established we can *think* about looking into hockey. *As of right now, let's focus on football and basketball (the real money makers).

That would be a weight around NDSU's neck that we don't need. Hockey due to title IX is a huge money pit, no way is womens hockey ever going to hold its weight so other sports equaling the $$$ for women would have to be added. Its not anything that NDSU should ever consider doing as its a $$$$ deathtrap.