PDA

View Full Version : U of M's new runningback

Scooter
08-12-2006, 06:15 PM
Was watching the news the other night and Glann Mason was on talking about a kid that was moving from LB to RB due to the lack of depth at RB for the Gophers. This kid is an all world type athelete. They showed clips of him doing ball catching drills... the guy is huge.

6 Alex Daniels- 6'3" 255 Sophomore.

Alex graduated in 2005 and played in 12 games at LB as a true freshman.
- Ranked the 11th best athelete in the nation for the class of 2005 by Rivals
- Best stat of all.... National Honor Society Member

Bisonguy
08-12-2006, 09:01 PM
The bigger they are....

Scooter
08-12-2006, 10:10 PM
The bigger they are....

Bisonguy, imagine if you will... a 6'3 Joe Mays carrying the football. That's who this guy reminded me of. He does not look like a nineteen or twenty year old.

sambini
08-12-2006, 10:14 PM
30 years old Scooter and he is huge.

Bisonguy
08-12-2006, 10:41 PM
The bigger they are....

Bisonguy, imagine if you will... a 6'3 Joe Mays carrying the football. *That's who this guy reminded me of. *He does not look like a nineteen or twenty year old.

Yeah, I saw the video of him on the news the other night.

The D will have to get to him early. Once he gets up to speed it could be scary.

Mr._Bill
08-13-2006, 01:44 PM
Seven weeks of football and 4 Big Ten games should soften him up a little before we have to deal with him. While he might carry it some, I can't believe that he would be featured (carry it 25 times a game) at his size. It is more likely that he would get 5-10 carries and be a short yardage guy, and lead the way for the HB's. If he is going to be featured, its a matter of time before the injury bug bites, based on his running style and the hits he will take.

bisonmike
08-13-2006, 04:23 PM
That is one big dude. *I saw video of him and he looks like a tank. *Our boys had better wrap up an gang tackle.

IowaBisonToo
08-14-2006, 01:35 PM
Since he's moved from LB, is this the Goph's new starter or a backup?

Scooter
08-15-2006, 02:01 AM
The Gopher starting job is already taken by Pinnex, he's a jr.

tcbison
08-15-2006, 04:00 AM
The Gopher starting job is already taken by Pinnex, he's a jr.

Unless, there was some breaking news today, it was reported in the Sunday Star Tribune said that the starter has not been named yet. Pinnix has the most experience, but it was reported that he hasn't won the job yet. As far as Daniels goes here is a quote from the QB Cupito. "Alex Daniels is running the hardest, but he doesn't know what he's doing." It sounds like he is still learning the offense.

Wacker_in_the_Hall
08-15-2006, 05:08 AM
Imagine a bigger faster quicker Joe Mays. This kid Daniels was a True Blue Chipper in High School. I think Mason is Looney to take him from a usually pathetic Gopher Defense. I sense a little displeasure with the running game. Daniels can be his own blocker

The bigger they are....

Bisonguy, imagine if you will... a 6'3 Joe Mays carrying the football. *That's who this guy reminded me of. *He does not look like a nineteen or twenty year old.

IowaBisonToo
08-15-2006, 01:29 PM
The problem is, Mason has done a good job of recruiting RBs in the past - overall, probably better all around than most any other team in terms of quality in depth. Now that he's lost quite a few over the past year or so, there is nobody to fill those gaps. I knew Pinnex was there and I think he'll do fine over the season given the fact their O line may only be a shell of what it has been. Mason is now trying to fill the gap which may be quite unfortunate for this Daniels. If he's truly that good at LB, I'd be pissed if I were him - being taken from his "natural" position, which could garner some looks at the pros someday and being placed at a position where there are probably many a quicker RB out there and where he'll probably see limited time. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Scooter
08-16-2006, 03:59 AM
The problem is, Mason has done a good job of recruiting RBs in the past - overall, probably better all around than most any other team in terms of quality in depth. *Now that he's lost quite a few over the past year or so, there is nobody to fill those gaps. *I knew Pinnex was there and I think he'll do fine over the season given the fact their O line may only be a shell of what it has been. *Mason is now trying to fill the gap which may be quite unfortunate for this Daniels. If he's truly that good at LB, I'd be pissed if I were him - being taken from his "natural" position, which could garner some looks at the pros someday and being placed at a position where there are probably many a quicker RB out there and where he'll probably see limited time. *I guess we'll have to wait and see.

You've got a point there. Why the heck would a coach continually shoot himself in the foot by failing to field a descent defense year after year. How many games in the past four or five years has the U of M scored more than thirty points in a game yet lost the game. Who gives a shit how much your offense scores if your defense can't stop anybody. The only games that you are going to win are going to be the ones that you're expected to win by three TD's. I don't know maybe they are deep at Linebacker or something. I can't see how that can be the case. Maybe he is/was getting to much advice from former Vikes coach Mike Tice... You know his defenses were the BOMB!