PDA

View Full Version : Griz lose star RB to injury

NDSUstudent
08-16-2006, 12:55 AM
MISSOULA - University of Montana senior halfback Lex Hilliard sustained a serious foot injury in practice Monday that will force him to miss the 2006 season.

The injury will require surgery, according to a UM sports information release.

Hilliard - who played as a true freshman - will redshirt this season.

“We’re very disappointed for Lex Hilliard,” said fourth-year Griz head coach Bobby Hauck. “For him to lose his senior season, especially one that he has prepared so hard for, is a hard pill to swallow. It’s difficult to put into words just how bad that myself, our coaches and our players feel for Lex.

“Obviously it is a tremendous loss to our football team and certainly puts a damper on our championship aspirations since we lost our best player for the season,” Hauck said.

Hilliard - a 6-0, 228-pounder from Kalispell - is ranked second in Montana history with 2,884 career rushing yards. He has rushed for 34 career touchdowns. He has been a unanimous first team All-Big Sky Conference selection the past two seasons.

Last season he rushed for 1,322 yards, the second most in single-season history at UM, and was a finalist for the Walter Payton Award given annually to Division I-AA’s offensive player of the year.”

http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2006/08/15/web/websports/ws45.txt

Tough loss for Montana because this guy was one of the best in the country, UC Davis has also lost their starting RB to injury.

Scooter
08-16-2006, 04:06 AM
This injury could have a major impact on who wins the BSC.

Kind of like going into the season without a Travis White. I still believe that the Bison with White were a 9-2 team last year.... With Roehl and White... maybe even 10-1

Should have....could have....would have.... Oh well....

sambini
08-16-2006, 04:50 AM
Thanks for the info NDSU STUDENT++++++++

Gamehunter
08-16-2006, 05:54 PM
Hilliard is a HUGE loss, but not nearly as huge as when we lost TW. Last year our leading reciever was a freshman. Montana picked up a few transfer RB's (new "Transfer U"?? ;) ) this summer. A second stringer from Iowa State that was actually quite productive and another from Louisville. I doubt either of these guys are Hilliard caliber, but I also doubt there is to many teams in the Sky that are going to stop them besides maybe MSU. They are going to have a pretty good defense this fall.

The good news, is that just like Shamen Washington, Lex did not redshirt. So both of these guys will redshirt this year and come back next year, and hopefully better than ever.

ndsubison
08-16-2006, 10:25 PM
I feel bad for Lex and GrizNation in general. Sounds like they are loaded for another NC this year and the loss of Hilliard is tough. However, he'll get a medical redshirt and be back next year, hopefully. Ala Shamen Washington. football is a sonofabitch, and that's what makes it the most beautiful, spectacular sport in the world. Good luck, Lex. Good luck, Shamen.

Now: WHEN IN THE HELL ARE THE GRIZZLIES COMING TO THE FARGODOME?

sambini
08-17-2006, 03:55 AM
When they find a map on how to get to FARGO. Last one was one of Lewis and Clarks got misplaced at a Missoula strip bar.

WYOBISONMAN
08-17-2006, 04:01 AM
Too bad for Lex.....I hope he can recover from this....