PDA

View Full Version : Scandrett gets hired at Lincoln

Tatanka
08-23-2006, 01:44 AM
Well, the former MSUM athletic director got hired by Lincoln College in Pennsylvania (per the local fish wrap (http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/137323)). They're a D-III school who are in the process of moving up to D-II. Still not sure what happened to him at MSUM but he seems to have landed on his feet. Good luck, and IMO good riddance.

MinotBison
08-23-2006, 04:06 AM
Well, the former MSUM athletic director got hired by Lincoln College in Pennsylvania (per the local fish wrap (http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/137323)). *They're a D-III school who are in the process of moving up to D-II. *Still not sure what happened to him at MSUM but he seems to have landed on his feet. *Good luck, and IMO good riddance.

For those of us not familiar with MSUM, why do you say good riddance? And for anyone else, what did happen to him at MSUM?

IowaBison
08-23-2006, 01:10 PM
He talked big and did not deliver.

His management style was not appreciated by those at MSUM.

The fact that they let him go mid-contract-he only had a year left-signifies that something really stank in Dragonland.

Wacker_in_the_Hall
08-23-2006, 03:54 PM
His style was not cohesive with this area. He is all talk...never had one position for more than four years

He talked big and did not deliver. *

His management style was not appreciated by those at MSUM.

The fact that they let him go mid-contract-he only had a year left-signifies that something really stank in Dragonland.

SDSUFAN
08-23-2006, 09:17 PM
MSUM is a very hard place to work. I wish I could remember his full and corrent name, name but a young and up coming guy from Slippery Rock who played football for them and was into sports adminstration worked at MSUM for about two years as a developement person or a fund raisier depending on his offical job title. He left after two years and went to New Mexico U and as I recall. I think his name was David Slobechek.. David *was a regional reporter for D2football.com for a while also. *I recall he voiced his frustration over on the D2 board after leaving MSUM and the firing of the prior AD. Dave caught the first train out of Moorhead too, and lets face it, its hard to get any financial committment out of the Moorhead Community when they have been big Bison Boosters for years. With out money raised, you dont have much of a program. No doubt Dr. Scrandett had problems fitting in and having worked for other predominately white institutions, he should have been able to read people better and not make everyone his enemy which based on what little has been printed had apparently happened. Dr. Scandett might have been smart to listen and listen good before he acted. I hope he can learn from this as he does have a good resume. I dont think any one has to stay 10 to 15 years on a job to prove himself. The fact that he left the previous jobs after a short period of time might also reflect that others recognized his talents and offered him a job. I wish Dr Scandrett the best.

sambini
08-23-2006, 10:52 PM
To all concerned good luck and have a fine day. It was best for the Dragons.

Bison_Dan
08-23-2006, 11:20 PM
MSUM is a very hard place to work. I wish I could *remember his full and corrent name, name but a young and up coming guy from Slippery Rock who played football for them and was into sports adminstration worked at MSUM for about two years as a developement person or a fund raisier depending on his offical job title. He left after two years and went to New Mexico U and as I recall. I think his name was David Slobechek.. David *was a regional reporter for D2football.com for a while also. *I recall he voiced his frustration over on the D2 board after leaving MSUM and the firing of the prior AD. Dave caught the first train out of Moorhead too, and lets face it, its hard to get any financial committment out of the Moorhead Community when they have been big Bison Boosters for years. With out money raised, you dont have much of a program. No doubt Dr. Scrandett had problems fitting in and having worked for other predominately white institutions, he should have been able to read people better and not make everyone his enemy which based on what little has been printed had apparently happened. Dr. Scandett might have been smart to listen and listen good before he acted. I hope he can learn from this as he does have a good resume. I dont think any one has to stay 10 to 15 years on a job to prove himself. The fact that he left the previous jobs after a short period of time might also reflect that others recognized his talents and offered him a job. I wish Dr Scandrett the best.

You guys are all missing the point on MSUM athletics. It's the PRESIDENT that's problem. He might be a good college president but as far as athletics goes he doesn't give a sh%t about it. He's more concerned about being PC in his running of the athletic dept.

IowaBison
08-24-2006, 01:38 AM
I wouldn't say that Bison Dan.

He went so far as to waive tuition for a number of scholarships to give the athletic department something to work with. No anti-athletic president would do that.

kchats
08-24-2006, 02:47 AM
Moorhead State needs to drop back to NAIA where they can actually compete. Once they start winning again they will get to where they belong.

SDSUFAN
08-24-2006, 11:23 AM
I was in remiss for not mentioning the role of the president. I know nothing of the president at MSUM, but look at SDSU and NDSU? The move to D1 has happened because the President was the leader and sold their idea to alums, foundation and students. Apparently that has not happened *at MSUM, as there seems to be revolving doors when it comes to an AD's and some key coaching spots. I thnk waiving tuitions for athletes is a bad idea as it steals from academic budgets. Also not sure how money from the legislature gets to the individual state assisted institutions, but whoever has the authority cant be pleased to see waivers granted to athletes.

ndsubison
08-24-2006, 08:28 PM
I wouldn't say that Bison Dan.

He went so far as to waive tuition for a number of scholarships to give the athletic department something to work with. *No anti-athletic president would do that.

BisonDan is right: their pres is notorious for not supporting athletics. He is not ANTI-athletic, he just doesn't give a $hit. The fact that he agreed to Scandrett's tuition waiver proposal was an easy out for him, to simply not deal with the problem directly. He told Scandrett "Go ahead" and when it didn't work out, he told him to hit the bricks. The problem starts at the top and it all lays squarely on Barden's head. The AD job at MSUM is not very desireable right now, or in the last ten years... :-/ :-/

Glad To Be A BISON!!

TheBisonator
08-24-2006, 09:26 PM
One problem I see with MSUM athletics is that they've been relegated to 5th or 6th place among area colleges and even high schools as far as fan interest goes. Moorhead High School gets more people to its football and basketball games than MSUM does. (Concordia is one division lower than MSUM, but they have taken their place as Moorhead's college football/basketball team. They average 5-6 times the attendance in football than the Dragons do.) And when this occurs, coupled with losing seasons across the board for most sports, the students and alumni aren't interested, and it triggers a vicious cycle. 781 fans per football game last year is something they should be absolutely embarrassed about. Savannah State has the same problem too. The thing that MSUM needs to do is break this vicious cycle of apathy and cynicism towards their athletic programs. I don't know how you do that - If I knew how to, I'd probably be applying for the new AD job there. In any case, it's really sad to see that situation going on in Moorhead.

sambini
08-25-2006, 12:21 AM
I went to the Dragon Hall of Fame induction last year as a couple of friends got honored. The AD DID NOT EVEN SPEAK AT THE EVENT. HE WAS NON FACTOR AT THE EVENT. WE SHOULD BE VERY PROUD OF OUR HALL OF FAME ITS DONE FIRST CLASS. I GOT TWO WORDS FOR MR. SCANDRET SEE YA+++++++++

BisonBacker
08-25-2006, 02:38 PM
I will agree that part of the blame should go to the president of the University but you can't tell me that Scandrett wasn't aware of what was going on at MSUM when he took the position. What amazes me is that he is able to get hired to another job so quickly when there is so much talent out there that can produce and yet he pulls donw another job?? As far as Barden something needs to happen there as well if MSUM wants to get it's athletic's back on track. Or is it that they have resigned themselves to the status of non contender and are happy with that? When does pride kick in here anyway? I credit the players of any sport at MSUM as they are the ones who ultimatley pay for the dismall attitude of the MSUM towards athletics. They still have to suit up and go out and play and to be rewarded with the low numbers of spectators for their sports is a shame. The administration does not appear to be to concerned over the whole matter in my opinion and the students deserve better.