PDA

View Full Version : yet another Higher Ed idea....

mebison
06-12-2006, 03:19 PM
Alright, I've thought about this for a while, so I'll just throw it out...

Given how much the cost of college has risen between my parent's time and mine, its not too hard to envision that my the time my kids (I don't have any yet) go to college, the cheapest schools (i.e. NDSU) may be $30,000/yr. If college starts to cost that much, it seems like there may be room for a new type of state university...

High Efficiency Universities
-basically the same courses and majors offered as current universities
-no dorms
-no sports (yea, that might not be popular here ;) )
-no marching bands, bowling clubs, intermurals, etc.
-no wellness centers, rec centers, etc.
-students would be free to make their own clubs, organizations, etc, but they would have to come up with their own funding...no help from university offices or student fees

So basically, you pay for only what you want...your education. Sort of imagine Aaker's business college but with 87 full 4-yr majors. Obviously this setup wouldn't be for everyone as some people (maybe myself included) would want the whole *college* experience. But it doesn't seem right to me that a compotent student that wants to be an engineer, or biologist, or english teacher wouldn't get the chance because he can't to pay to support a wellness center, intermurals, and all the other things that are not a necessary part of an education.

Of course, each state would maintain at least one or two full-fledged universities as we know them, but it seems like this would be a good option for older than average students who want to get a different degree while they work, or high-schoolers who don't have much money, don't want too many loans, and want to be able to get through school on a shoestring budget.

Let me know what you all think!

Curt

BismarckBison
06-12-2006, 03:30 PM
Great Idea
Add - no tenure teachers
Add - no research only teaching
Add - no high priced, high maintenance Ivy climbing buildings

Gamehunter
06-12-2006, 05:43 PM
There is ALOT more to going to college than just the knowledge you gained reading books and going to class. In fact, that is probably the understatement of the year.

MplsBison
06-12-2006, 09:53 PM
http://www.phoenix.edu/images/home/info_logo.gif

mebison
06-13-2006, 01:00 AM
http://www.phoenix.edu/images/home/info_logo.gif

You know, I've never really known what U of Phoenix was other than a place that offers all sorts of online degrees and advertises ALOT. I'll have to check it out...maybe my idea isn't original, but that doesn't mean its bad, right!?! 8-)

insane_ponderer
06-13-2006, 03:53 PM
I would say you have definitely hit on something, whether it's a new idea or not. I think you everyone has to remember the name of the university isn't what counts, it is still all about the student and their willingness to make the best of it, work hard, and take advantage of opportunities. There are a lot of students at NDSU that would out perform a lot of students at Harvard or Yale or wherever, and it's because of their go get 'em attitude.

At the same time, as a university, hopefully some of those opportunities to excel are provided.

TriCollegeBison
06-30-2006, 11:11 PM
It's a good working idea. *However I can only imagine:

No Student Sentate or governing board or debate teams = no poli-sci majors
No marching bands or choirs = no music majors
No wellness centers or sports teams = no athletic majors or sports medicine majors
No research = no research park

You can see where I'm going with this. *Cutting certain clubs, activities, etc. will definately keep some majors and people away. *It will affect math, science, and engineering majors and their activities too. *It's these extra things that make college graduates more marketable. *Cutting research is a terrible idea unless we want to model ourselves after a third world country. *I can see some empty resumes coming up.

However, something is wrong with tuition rates constantly going up 10 percent every year. *What's the inflation rate? *I have a hard time justifying that.

mebison
07-03-2006, 02:35 PM
I certainly see your point, and I agree that some majors would not function well without those extracurriculars, but I think many majors would be just fine. For instance, losing research would probably make it very difficult to have chemistry and other pure science majors as I believe most of their students get experience in the labs. However, engineering would be fine since far more students take *paid* coops and internships than work in professors labs anyways. Others I can imagine making the transfer include business (Aakers already shows that), social sciences, teaching, architecture,...??? Perhaps I'm wrong on some of these majors since I don't know too much about them. I agree on music and fine arts, they couldn't function this way...and I played in many NDSU bands while I was there, so I recognize that a stripped down system takes away those opportunities.

Like I said, it wouldn't be for everyone and I wouldn't advocate it as a replacement for NDSU/UND type schools, but maybe some of the smaller schools that aren't functioning well as full institutions could be restructured to cater to people who would attend one of these schools?

Curt

Wilhelm_Klink_1972
07-18-2006, 12:50 PM
Seems like the idea of two campuses(Grand Forks and Fargo) and one World Class University for the Great State of ND seems almost easy compared to some of these creative and original thoughts in this thread!

mebison
07-18-2006, 02:06 PM
Oh, I'm so glad you finally hijacked my thread!! *I was beginning to think you didn't like me *:'(

SDbison
07-19-2006, 05:07 AM
South Dakota has the USDSU campus in Sioux Falls for those students who want to go to school but stay in the metro area for friends, jobs and family. Also Sioux Falls does not have a major university (only two private colleges) and this somehow works here. USD and SDSU still have their actual campuses in Vermillian and Brookings. Not sure, but I think DSU (Dakota State Univ) in Madison, SD is also represented at USDSU Sioux Falls.
I think it is too bad that kids don't have the choice, or choose to not have the entire university experience. Life is too short and the on campus organizations they could experience are invaluable.
A UNDSU in Fargo / Grand Forks brings nothing to the table and Alumni from both schools would never let it happen. They want their own unique identity. Case closed in my mind.

sambini
07-20-2006, 04:21 AM
Thanks for the insight SD BISON. I agree++++++++++++

mebison
07-20-2006, 03:17 PM
Just to be clear, I absolutely agree about the importance of on-campus organizations. My time with the Gold Star Band and Pi Tau Sigma (mech eng society) gave me many friends I still have and experiences that have helped me make the next steps in my career. However, if in 20 years NDSU costs $50,000/yr and my kid wants to be an engineer but just can't swing that kind of cash, I would want there to be another option so he or she doesn't have to settle for a career less than their desire.

L_D_Loftsgard
07-21-2006, 05:39 AM
Just to be clear, I absolutely agree about the importance of on-campus organizations. *My time with the Gold Star Band and Pi Tau Sigma (mech eng society) gave me many friends I still have and experiences that have helped me make the next steps in my career. *However, if in 20 years NDSU costs $50,000/yr and my kid wants to be an engineer but just can't swing that kind of cash, I would want there to be another option so he or she doesn't have to settle for a career less than their desire.
Glad to see you were active in two fine campus organizations!!!!!!!!!

sambini
07-21-2006, 10:31 PM
Ld you were active at the Elks CLUB?

TriCollegeBison
07-22-2006, 09:50 PM
I'd like to see where all the tuition money goes someday.

NanoBison
07-23-2006, 01:25 AM
They have two books in the NDSU library. It shows the schools yearly budget, in more detail than you would care to know, and the other one shows what everyone makes on campus, per department. Simply ask for them at the front desk.

IowaBison
07-23-2006, 01:55 AM
They have two books in the NDSU library.

It's not that bad. :)

NanoBison
07-23-2006, 01:57 AM
Sorry,

They have 2 books in their current circulation of 1.5 million pieces.... ;D

skypilot
08-28-2006, 08:32 PM
Seems like the idea of two campuses(Grand Forks and Fargo) and one World Class University for the Great State of ND seems almost easy compared to some of these creative and original thoughts in this thread!
Who is this Klink guy? Pretty far out but interesting!!!!!!!!!!! *

Edited by tony (admin): When this count gets down to 0, Dakota and all his alternate accounts will be banned. Contribute to a discussion, knock if it off with the constant personal attacks, and stop hijacking threads.

IowaBisonToo
08-28-2006, 09:03 PM
Welcome skypilot - or should I say Buffalo Chip, or Dakota, or Jr, or Klink, or MPD man. :-? :-? :-? ::) :-/ :-/ :-/

BisonBacker
08-28-2006, 09:22 PM
Welcome skypilot - or should I say Buffalo Chip, or Dakota, or Jr, or Klink, or MPD man. *:-? :-? :-? ::) :-/ :-/ :-/

You think it's frustrating for us (which it is) but think about the headache for Tony and the rest of the moderators. I know Tony's trying ie. changing the process to register so they all have to go through him but what a hassle and it takes away from the board and the enjoyment when you have to sift through all the garbage posts to get to those who enjoy NDSU athletics and want to talk about them. What a piece of work, start a bunch of aliases/alter ego's and then start a dialogue with yourself in every section of Bisonville. Usually ignoring people like this does the trick but with this guy that doesn't seem to work. Need to find the guys with the white jackets and ship him off for some serious help. :-/ :( >:(