PDA

View Full Version : Nebraska Omaha (UNO) in turmoil

kchats
07-02-2006, 12:11 AM
I read a story in the news section on the bottom of the Fargo Forum where it talked about UNO studying the division status including looking at division I. I guess when they but all those positions last week and announced that they were staying division II without looking at division I they really pissed off their donors. I went to the Omaha World Herald and read a bunch of stories where the donors ripped the administration up and down. Now UNO is trying to study the issue to keep donors giving money. The football donors have stated they will not give any money until something changes. One of the stories talks about UNO possibly moving up to division I and joining a bunch of former NCC schools in division I. People keep talking about former NCC schools ending up in the same conference in division I but I don't see how that could be. Depending on the number that do move up, I'm not sure how many can afford it, how do they think they will get into a conference with NDSU and SDSU? The Mid Con isn't going to just add former NCC schools because they declare an intention to move to division I. There was a quote in the Grand Forks Herald last week the day after NDSU was informed of the site visit where Mid Con officials stated UND wasn't even mentioned during discussions.

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforksherald/2006/06/29/sports/14926067.htm

However, UND is not on the Mid-Con's radar.

"There wasn't one mention of the University of North Dakota at the (presidents) meeting," Douple said.

I am attaching the links to all the stories basically interviews with all donor group leaders bashing UNO's administration. Free registration required to read the Omaha World Herald Stories.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=528&u_xid=429&u_sid=2199130 "UNO will study all options, including D-I, Belck says"

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=38&u_sid=2194293&u_rnd=986707 "Tom Shatel: UNO cutbacks a slap to top boosters' faces"

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=528&u_xid=429&u_sid=2198557 "Boosters send message to UNO administration"

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=38&u_sid=2195521 "UNO athletic program leaking oil, Claussen says"

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=38&u_sid=2195530 "Beef Club to suspend UNO support"

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=38&u_sid=2193547 "No plans for Mavs to jump to Div. I"

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=38&u_sid=2192993 "'Devastated': UNO cuts five positions"

Sounds like a program ready to make the move huh?

MplsBison
07-02-2006, 01:49 AM
UNO will stay in the NCC.

They'll bring in UNK and probably Northern State, Winona, and Bemidji.

kchats
07-02-2006, 02:09 AM
What I read made me think if UNO doesn't go division I or at least try to go division I their boosters will stop giving money. I don't think they want to stay division II and if forced to stay division II they want to be in the MIAA. That is what I read and that is why I think they are studying it.

NanoBison
07-02-2006, 09:36 AM
Keep the rest of the NCC schools in the NCC. >:(

MplsBison
07-02-2006, 02:32 PM
Except for USD.

They'll be welcomed into the Mid Con in a few years with UND.

UNO will stick it out in the NCC. I'm sure of that.

They'll bring in UNK, Augi will bring in Northern State, and Saint Cloud, Mankato, and Duluth will bring in Winona and Bemidji.

broke_back_mnt
07-02-2006, 03:42 PM
That would make a nice NCC. *Dont forget, UMary of Bismarck, North Dakota, has an NCC legacy with NDSU and Und.

BisonMav
07-02-2006, 05:32 PM
Being a UNO grad as well as NDSU, it would be nice to see UNO move to DI. To save money they could start as a non-scholarship football team and look at scholarships down the road. If they do want scholarships, the GWFC could expand to add UNO, USD, UND. A DI conference with former NCC schools could be possible with the remaining schools. SCSU, MSUM, UMD, and Augie could all be non-scholly football schools. 13 years is not that long to wait for eligibility if you look long term. I prefer to see the Mid-Con, if the 3 visits turn into invites to remain at 10 members. Only when another school leaves, should they expand again.

kchats
07-02-2006, 06:49 PM
Interestingly the reason UNO is in financial trouble is their division I hockey team. It isn't making them money. Don't UND fans always tell NDSU fans that NDSU needs hockey because it is a money maker. Doesn't sound that way for UNO.

TheBisonator
07-02-2006, 10:00 PM
UNO will stay in the NCC.

They'll bring in UNK and probably Northern State, Winona, and Bemidji.

I don't even think the NCC is gonna freakin' exist in three years.

MplsBison
07-02-2006, 10:23 PM
I do.

The MIAA is an option, but it's not the best option for UNO. The NCC is.

DIBISON
07-03-2006, 02:40 AM
The article in today's Forum quoted the UNO Chancellor stating that the decision last week by the University of South Dakota to study the DI issue changed the thinking at UNO.

sambini
07-03-2006, 03:29 AM
I THOUGHT UNO HOCKEY WAS A GOOD DRAW IN OMAHA? OR DO THEY ALSO HAVE WOMENS HOCKEY?

kchats
07-03-2006, 04:32 AM
This is a school with a small-time, Division II mentality. It's a place in conflict with itself. An administration in over its Division I head.

UNO dived into Division I sports. Then it moved into the Qwest Center Omaha. Unlike Creighton, UNO has no idea what to do with it. It has treated hockey like wrestling or basketball. It has never aggressively marketed the sport in town. It refuses to separate hockey and treat it special.

The result was, when season tickets fell during the move to the Qwest, UNO had no clue how to get them back.

The result showed up in the unemployment line this week.

What happened was unconscionable and unnecessary. I spoke with a Division I athletic director this week. I told him of the UNO situation. He said it was shocking.

Most universities and athletic directors, he said, have a contingency plan to avoid those kinds of cuts. A reserve. He said, at the very least, an athletic director should exhaust all donor avenues to make sure jobs don't get lost and the department can get back on its feet.

Meanwhile, hockey either needs a new, smaller rink to play in - with UNO controlling the revenues - or the Mavs had better start marketing and selling the Qwest Center. Clearly, hockey is not pulling its revenue weight. But that would require forward-thinking action, not a department making cuts.

I have one solution: Howard Hawks. The biggest sports booster in Nebraska told me he would like to help UNO upgrade its facilities. If you don't want to ask Hawks to build you a new hockey rink, ask for a big donation and make it an endowment for athletics: a fund to draw from for a rainy day.

Or to save jobs.

MplsBison
07-03-2006, 04:51 AM
Maybe cutting the hockey team is the answer?

89rabbit
07-06-2006, 10:30 PM
Maybe cutting the hockey team is the answer?

Maybe football:

http://www.sdsufans.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1152223952

sambini
07-07-2006, 12:12 AM
Do you think Omaha money goes mostly to Lincoln?

89rabbit
07-07-2006, 12:33 PM
More news about UNO:

http://www.fremontneb.com/articles/2006/07/06/ap-state-ne/d8imnu0g1.txt

NU Regent Hassebrook again floats idea of cutting UNO football

By ERIC OLSON

OMAHA, Neb. - A regent is again proposing the elimination of the University of Nebraska at Omaha's football program to ease budgetary problems in the Mavericks' athletic department.

Chuck Hassebrook of Lyons made the same suggestion 10 years ago, before the regents approved upgrades in athletic facilities and programs at the Omaha campus.

Hassebrook renewed his campaign to cut the football program in a letter to the editor published Thursday in the Omaha World-Herald. He said in an interview with The Associated Press that cutting football should be one of the options discussed in the wake of UNO's announcement last month that it had a $440,000 athletic budget shortfall.

"I support athletics at UNO. But I support athletics at UNO at an appropriate level we can afford that does not unduly detract from our ability to fulfill our academic mission," Hassebrook said.

Chancellor Nancy Belck said the university is not looking to cut any sports.

"It's been very important to our program," she said of football. "I've learned you never say never, but that is not what we're even talking about." *. *. *. *(read more)

Go State! *:)

broke_back_mnt
07-07-2006, 01:47 PM
D1 hockey/D2 all other sports is a losing athletic department model especially if the school has football. *Und is going to try and spend their way out of it and UNO seems to be looking at cutting back. *Interesting and contrasting stratagies.

Paulie
07-07-2006, 02:57 PM
A decision like cutting football can't be made in a vacuum though. I'd think the impact it would have on other sports and their conference affiliation also needs to be considered. East Tennessee dropped football and unceremoniously got dropped from the Southern Conference and had to slink off to the Atlantic Sun. Now talk is that ETSU wants to bring football back and try to rejoin he SoCon.

So if UNO did indeed drop football in my opinion they would be kissing goodbye any chance at the MIAA and could place even their NCC status in jeopardy. I wouldn't think they'd jeopardize that. Just my opinion.

IowaBison
07-07-2006, 03:14 PM
If they dropped it they'd be headed to the RMAC.

roadwarrior
07-07-2006, 05:16 PM
Mankato dropped football one year a long time ago at short notice prior to the season, and the NCC gave them a boot.

Several years later they were readmitted to the conference.

kchats
07-08-2006, 03:50 AM
Why not boot hockey? Seems like you should do it like a mutual fund last in first out. Hockey is the one athletic team that UNO has that doesn't fit and from what you read it isn't pulling its weight. I would be pissed if I was a UNO alumnus and they proposed cutting football without mentioning cutting hockey. UNO is really in a pickle and their chancellor has handled this issue very poorly by not visiting with the big money supporters. If they cut hockey I could see alot of money out the window (and right into the Big Red One's (Cornhuskers) pockets).

I found it interesting that they have individual fundraising groups for each sport instead of an overall group like Team Makers. I could see many athletic teams struggling for funding if it all wasn't put into one pot and distributed by the group to all teams as needed.

BisonMav
07-08-2006, 03:14 PM
Hockey has always been big in Omaha. Gordie Howe, Terry Sawchuk, and Marcel Pronovost are a few Hall of Famers that played in the minor leagues there with the Omaha Knights. They need to market their hockey better. When I lived there, the USHL Lancers would sellout every game. I would rather see them move football to non-scholarship for a while, and if a move to DI is working out, then bring back scholarships.

virgfoss
07-08-2006, 04:17 PM
Hockey has always been big in Omaha. *Gordie Howe, Terry Sawchuk, and Marcel Pronovost are a few Hall of Famers that played in the minor leagues there with the Omaha Knights. *They need to market their hockey better. *When I lived there, the USHL Lancers would sellout every game. *I would rather see them move football to non-scholarship for a while, and if a move to DI is working out, then bring back scholarships. *

Ummm...who are those guys? Go to the sioux site if you want to drop unheard of hockey names and players. Nobody outside GF or rich white hockey parents in the cities cares about hall of fame hockey players. Just look at the 0.1 tv ratings hockey gets.

BisonMav
07-08-2006, 10:18 PM
Ummm...who are those guys? Go to the sioux site if you want to drop unheard of hockey names and players. *Nobody outside GF or rich white hockey parents in the cities cares about hall of fame hockey players. *Just look at the 0.1 tv ratings hockey gets.

Sioux site doesn't care about Hall of Fame hockey players. They care about Sioux hockey and college hockey in general. Ask them who Dit Clapper was and you will get a blank stare. Unless they have google handy.

virgfoss
07-09-2006, 12:14 AM
Dit, Gordie, Sawchuk...........blank stare from most of America.

kchats
07-09-2006, 04:53 AM
Hockey has always been big in Omaha. *Gordie Howe, Terry Sawchuk, and Marcel Pronovost are a few Hall of Famers that played in the minor leagues there with the Omaha Knights. *They need to market their hockey better. *When I lived there, the USHL Lancers would sellout every game. *I would rather see them move football to non-scholarship for a while, and if a move to DI is working out, then bring back scholarships. *

Why damage the football program because the new hockey program isn't doing well? Football is much more popular nationwide and UNO actually has players in the NFL. You don't cut the nose off to spite the face. Hockey is killing their budget not football. Their football team is doing well and is ranked and has made the playoffs. Cut hockey and use the money for football.

sambini
07-09-2006, 11:09 PM
Nebraska has very good High School football. Leave football and market your athletics better. There is some money in Omaha. Maybe Uncle Warren can help out?

NanoBison
07-09-2006, 11:20 PM
All Uncle Warren's money just went to Uncle and Auntie Gates Foundation...No help there for UNO... :D

USA_Hockey
07-10-2006, 12:23 AM

Why damage the football program because the new hockey program isn't doing well? *Football is much more popular nationwide and UNO actually has players in the NFL. *You don't cut the nose off to spite the face. *Hockey is killing their budget not football. *Their football team is doing well and is ranked and has made the playoffs. *Cut hockey and use the money for football.

UNO has 6 NHL alumni including a Hobey Baker finalist last year, pretty good for a program that isn't even ten years old. This last year they made it to the regionals for the first time. Their hockey program is building and still draws the most revenue. Most UNO fans wouldn't want to cut their only DI sport that draws the most revenue so they could fund D2.

BisonMav
07-10-2006, 02:34 AM
UNO has 6 NHL alumni including a Hobey Baker finalist last year, pretty good for a program that isn't even ten years old. *This last year they made it to the regionals for the first time. *Their hockey program is building and still draws the most revenue. *Most UNO fans wouldn't want to cut their only DI sport that draws the most revenue so they could fund D2. *

I don't think they should cut either sport. They need to find a way to people in the seats for both sports, or any sport in Omaha.

broke_back_mnt
07-10-2006, 03:05 AM
I think the people in Omaha like UNO football. *Last playoff game we had there I left at half for a bite and went to a bar about a mile from the stadium. *The game was on and the bar was packed. *Good fans there and we interacted for a good time. *I asked them why they didnt go to the stadium and they just shrugged. *They have the interest, now they have to get them in the seats.

kchats
07-11-2006, 04:11 AM

Why damage the football program because the new hockey program isn't doing well? *Football is much more popular nationwide and UNO actually has players in the NFL. *You don't cut the nose off to spite the face. *Hockey is killing their budget not football. *Their football team is doing well and is ranked and has made the playoffs. *Cut hockey and use the money for football.

UNO has 6 NHL alumni including a Hobey Baker finalist last year, pretty good for a program that isn't even ten years old. *This last year they made it to the regionals for the first time. *Their hockey program is building and still draws the most revenue. *Most UNO fans wouldn't want to cut their only DI sport that draws the most revenue so they could fund D2. *

If UND was in the same situation would you want UND to cut football? I find it ridiculous that football is always the first sport thrown out for cutting. UNO has a respectable football program and cutting it for a brand new hockey program would piss me off if I was an alumnus. More than likely the boosters were there when football was around but not hockey.

BisonMav
07-11-2006, 08:14 PM
Dit, Gordie, Sawchuk...........blank stare from most of America.

Same when asked the to name the losing goalie in the first Minnesota State High School Hockey Championship game. *;)

TheBisonator
07-12-2006, 03:51 AM
UNO gets around 500 fans to most of its non-conference basketball games now. What makes anyone think that they would do better at DI?? They usually lose, and they play in a joke of a gymnasium. Their basketball team compared to the rest of the NCC reminds me of the District 8 hockey team from the first Mighty Ducks movie.

89rabbit
07-16-2006, 01:29 PM
More bad news for the Mavs:

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=38&u_sid=2206822

UNO had already come to aid of athletics, Belck says

UNO Chancellor Nancy Belck put $1 million of university reserve funds into the athletic department each of the last two years to shore up deficits.

It was only after department deficits persisted that UNO administrators decided last month's $440,000 athletic budget cuts had to be made, Maverick boosters were told Friday in an on-campus meeting.

"We are now at the point where we cannot continue to go back," Belck said. "We simply have to get this recurring deficit rebalanced."

Many boosters had speculated before the meeting that UNO was attempting to downsize, even dismantle, the athletic program following the elimination of five positions within the department. Booster groups said after the cuts that they would withhold future support for the program until they had established a dialogue with the administration.

Belck said the recent cuts are part of a $1 million rebalancing plan for the athletic budget. Besides the $440,000 in cuts, Belck pledged an additional $360,000 a year in university support. UNO also aims to generate an additional $200,000 from increased fund-raising and marketing efforts to boost gate receipts at athletic events. . . . (read more)

BisonBacker
07-16-2006, 04:05 PM
Hmmm, makes you wonder how a school with a big defecit in DII would ever think about going DI, *oopps that was a different school my bad. *I guess the other school must know how to juggle the books. ;D ;D

BisonMav
07-16-2006, 04:23 PM
$440,000? sounds like a game against UNL could have an impact.

kchats
07-16-2006, 06:01 PM
Belck said the athletic department deficits actually date to the 2001-02 school year, related to falling profits from the school's hockey program. Deficits from that year and the next two were taken care of with more than $1.3 million from a reserve fund created by sales of pickle cards.

Here is the problem, a hockey program that is nothing more than a drain to the athletic department. I find it funny that UND fans keep telling NDSU fans they need a hockey program. UNO supposedly has support for their hockey program from Omaha and they are still losing all kinds of money on it. Next time hockey at NDSU is brought up UNO should be mentioned.

kchats
07-16-2006, 06:17 PM
Another article.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=528&u_xid=429&u_sid=2204726 UNO move to D-I risky, regents say

"It does seem somewhat illogical to me to say, 'We're having trouble supporting ourselves financially in Division II, so the solution is to be Division I,'" Wilson said. "Now, I wouldn't foreclose the possibility without hearing all the information, but if you're having trouble getting donor and fan support as a Division II program, I question whether a solution to that is doing something even more expensive."

Last week, another regent, Chuck Hassebrook of Lyons, revisited his assertion of a decade ago that UNO should drop football to save money for the athletic department.

"I'm not anti-football, and I'm not anti-UNO," Hassebrook said. "I love UNO hockey. But we have a limited amount of dollars to deal with, and it means we have to set priorities. We not only subsidize UNO athletics, it is already operating in the red. We need to make a decision, and there are three choices: one, cut academic programs so we can shift money from education to athletics, and that would be a horrendous decision; two, ask taxpayers to pay higher taxes to support football and athletics at UNO, which would be a very poor judgement; and three, cut costs, and the best way to cut costs at UNO is to eliminate football.

"We've eliminated positions for fundraising to keep the department strong instead of cutting football, where you can try to keep the athletic department with an oversized athletic program that it can't afford and it ends up costing us more in the long run."

Hassebrook said he understands people are upset over UNO eliminating five positions. But, he said, where was this outcry a couple of years ago when there were budget cuts in academic departments?

"The fact is, cuts are unpopular," Hassebrook said. "But I think it's more troubling to hear that the uproar over cutting five positions in the department of athletics is well over that of cutting 170 academic-related positions in response to state budget shortfalls. Some people in this state have their priorities out of whack. I like sports. I go to games at UNO and UNL both, but education must be a higher priority. If these sports are so popular, if people want football at UNO, they need to step up and buy a lot more tickets and pay a lot more for them. I don't see the willingness to do that."

And

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=528&u_xid=429&u_sid=2207200 Football is safe Belck says

Elimination of football "is not even on the table" at UNO, Chancellor Nancy Belck said.

Not only does football attract students and visitors to the University of Nebraska at Omaha campus and raise its profile in the community, but it's also a sport the school is required to play if it is going to maintain conference affiliations for all of its other sports, Belck said.

"We are always going to have a strong athletic program, and football is a valuable part of that," she said. "It's one we will continue."

Siouxpreme
07-16-2006, 07:17 PM
Belck said the athletic department deficits actually date to the 2001-02 school year, related to falling profits from the school's hockey program. Deficits from that year and the next two were taken care of with more than $1.3 million from a reserve fund created by sales of pickle cards.

Here is the problem, a hockey program that is nothing more than a drain to the athletic department. *I find it funny that UND fans keep telling NDSU fans they need a hockey program. *UNO supposedly has support for their hockey program from Omaha and they are still losing all kinds of money on it. *Next time hockey at NDSU is brought up UNO should be mentioned.

kchats:

Your hatred of UND and hockey are well known, but don't let your emotions cloud the facts. *(Instead of a lighthouse, your words are like are dark lampstand sucking up all the photons of light and bringing even more ignorance to this board, if that is possible.)

When UNO started hockey, they averaged 9000 fans per game or so and around 175,000 to 200,000 per season (That is more than NDSU had for all sports). *When UNO moved to the QWEST Center, their average dropped to 5 to 6,000 / game, as the bigger venue gave less incentive to people to buy season tickets and also offers less of a game environment. *UNO still averages over 100,000 fans per season. *

The profits from UNO hockey is what allowed the rest of UNO athletics to prosper. *When hockey attendance went down, the rest of UNO sports, which don't generate any profit, were hurt. *UNO hockey still makes a profit.

kchats
07-16-2006, 07:26 PM
Siouxpreme, I used to actually watch the NHL playoffs and follow the St. Louis Blues, Minnesota North Stars and Colorado Avalanche. I attended high school in Jamestown, ND and had many friends that played on successful teams while I was there. While at NDSU I had friends that played on the very successful Club hockey team and attended the games. Following the strike, lockout or whatever it was I haven't followed hockey since. With the move to division I for NDSU I see no need to add an expensive program to NDSU's athletic program. I would rather focus the money that would be spent on hockey on the football program and the basketball programs. I am hopeful that the men's and women's basketball programs can become regular participants in the NCAA tournament and that will require a big committment as well as quite a bit of money. I would also like to see NDSU consider a move to division I-A in football down the road if their situation warrants it. NDSU does not need hockey and the state of North Dakota doesn't need another hockey program. I am quite content with UND having the hockey program and see no need for duplication.

Maybe UNO should cut all sports except hockey. ;) *I don't recall UNO having financial difficulties in their athletic department prior to adding hockey.

I don't want NDSU to add hockey and I do feel like hockey would be a financial drain instead of a revenue source if NDSU were to ever make the mistake of adding hockey.

Since when is 9,000 fans per game more than 14,000 fans per game that attend football games at NDSU. *The only thing that keeps NDSU from not having the largest number of fans for a whole season is the fact that the football season is shorter than the hockey season and there are usually only 6 home games. *Football at NDSU is far more popular than hockey at UNO will ever be.

Larz
07-16-2006, 07:48 PM
I have a couple comments to share from people I talk to in Omaha. The UNO Hockey and Creighton Basketball Quest Center Omaha contracts are very expesive for these schools. If it was not for Dana Altman, Creighton would not be able to play at the Quest. They have 8 - 12 thousand spectators at the basketball games, regularly. People love to come to the games, they love to see a hard working coach and team win, or almost win. He is awesome (hope the Bison play here soon). I do not know if you can get that many fans at UNO Hockey games. When the hockey team moved it's games to the Quest that became another problem to solve, high cost arena time. The Civic worked better for them, smaller, thus better atmosphere, lower cost...... Why add the Quest Center cost to a weak growing program. Thus it is sucking money away from UNO athletics....making football the goat, by Hassebrook's philosophy. Hassebrook thinks the only football in Nebraska should be UNL, not UNO or UNK. Belch should tell the Quest to give them a break and if they don't, go back to the Civic. As it is now, the hockey players have horrible daily schedules to drive all over town for practice, workouts, class.....etc. it is stupid.

I Curl with an Economics PHD at UNO. He shared with me in conversation, that he studied the potential for UNO Hockey to have their own practice arena. Out of the study, it was very clear that the Quest Center is not doing Creighton or UNO any favors. So, the boosters were floating the idea of building their own practice facility. They could take control of some of their affairs, and help their student hockey players have a life. If that would happen we might realize a Curling venue adjacent to the hocky practice facility. Thus Curling could help out on the Title 9 numbers, have Curling classes, and involve the communtiy with the campus more. Similar to Bowling Green Campus. Creighton, as of last winter is supporting a mens Curling team. A cheap way to support student athletes, (broom & a slider) have them travel...etc.

The spin Hassebrook is putting on UNO Football pisses me off. Cutting the football program, in the end will not help the hockey situation.

sambini
07-16-2006, 08:13 PM
Thanks for your insight Larz. Football is big in that state and they should have no problem making it go.

USA_Hockey
07-16-2006, 08:48 PM
Since when is 9,000 fans per game more than 14,000 fans per game that attend football games at NDSU. *The only thing that keeps NDSU from not having the largest number of fans for a whole season is the fact that the football season is shorter than the hockey season and there are usually only 6 home games. *Football at NDSU is far more popular than hockey at UNO will ever be.[/quote]

Just remember that the reason there are 14,000 fans at an NDSU football game is because there aren't many games in the season. If football played the amount of games that hockey or basketball did, there wouldn't be 14,000 fans at the game. That's the advantage of hockey is that there are many games to draw revenue from.

SDSUFAN
07-16-2006, 08:56 PM
I have a couple comments to share from people I talk to in Omaha. *The UNO Hockey and Creighton Basketball Quest Center Omaha contracts are very expesive for these schools. *If it was not for Dana Altman, Creighton would not be able to play at the Quest. *They have 8 - 12 thousand spectators at the basketball games, regularly. *People love to come to the games, they love to see a hard working coach and team win, or almost win. *He is awesome (hope the Bison play here soon). *I do not know if you can get that many fans at UNO Hockey games. *When the hockey team moved it's games to the Quest that became another problem to solve, high cost arena time. *The Civic worked better for them, smaller, thus better atmosphere, lower cost...... * Why add the Quest Center cost to a weak growing program. *Thus it is sucking money away from UNO athletics....making football the goat, by Hassebrook's philosophy. *Hassebrook thinks the only football in Nebraska should be UNL, not UNO or UNK. *Belch should tell the Quest to give them a break and if they don't, go back to the Civic. *As it is now, the hockey players have horrible daily schedules to drive all over town for practice, workouts, class.....etc. *it is stupid.

I Curl with an Economics PHD at UNO. *He shared with me in conversation, that he studied the potential for UNO Hockey to have their own practice arena. *Out of the study, it was very clear that the Quest Center is not doing Creighton or UNO any favors. *So, the boosters were floating the idea of building their own practice facility. *They could take control of some of their affairs, and help their student hockey players have a life. *If that would happen we might realize a Curling venue adjacent to the hocky practice facility. *Thus Curling could help out on the Title 9 numbers, have Curling classes, and involve the communtiy with the campus more. *Similar to Bowling Green Campus. *Creighton, as of last winter is supporting a mens Curling team. *A cheap way to support student athletes, (broom & a slider) have them travel...etc. *

The spin Hassebrook is putting on UNO Football pisses me off. *Cutting the football program, in the end will not help the hockey situation. *

The comments about the Quest are very interesting. I would tend to think the cost of using that facility are high. Its quite the eloborate facility. I was livinging in Nebraska when UNO started hockey. At the time people in Omaha were excited. They also had their games on the torch AM station KFAB, 1110, but I dont think that is true any more. I tend to believe the novelty of college hockey in Omaha has wore off. Its a good sized city and its tough to hold peoples attention and interests. Whether moving back to the Civic would work or not, I am not too sure on that one.

I would be very interested to see how the City of Grand Forks and the Estate of Ralphie boy do in terms of rental fees charged to UND for all of their revenue sports.

As far as Hassebrook, I think he takes his job seriously. He may be a country mouse who occasionaly visits the city, but he does know what is going on in terms of higher education in the state of Nebraska. Right now there are a ton of people in Omaha that could support UNO athletics with contributions, but apparently they make other choices.

The thoughts about adding Curling are very interesting.

USA_Hockey
07-16-2006, 09:20 PM
One thing to remember is that it's harder for UNO to draw fans because Omaha has an AHL team and a USHL team. The USHL team has consistently drawn 4,000 fans a game and I believe this year was the first year for the AHL teams existence, so I don't know what they drew. It isn't that people in Omaha don't like hockey (it's probably right next to baseball as the most popular sport), it's just that they have many teams to support which can lower the attendance of UNO hockey.

Flintstone
07-16-2006, 09:56 PM
One thing to remember is that it's harder for UNO to draw fans because Omaha has an AHL team and a USHL team. *The USHL team has consistently drawn 4,000 fans a game and I believe this year was the first year for the AHL teams existence, so I don't know what they drew. *It isn't that people in Omaha don't like hockey (it's probably right next to baseball as the most popular sport), it's just that they have many teams to support which can lower the attendance of UNO hockey. *

I would venture to guess that Hockey also falls behind Creighton Basketball and far, far behind Big Red Football in Omaha.

kchats
07-16-2006, 09:59 PM
On Big Red football days the news is all about the Nebraska football game. I think 5 minutes of the 30 minutes newscast is spent on weather the rest in on Nebraska Cornhusker football. I attended an NDSU vs. UNO game there a few years ago and they barely showed the highlights of the game because Nebraska played that day as well.

kchats
07-16-2006, 10:00 PM
Since when is 9,000 fans per game more than 14,000 fans per game that attend football games at NDSU. *The only thing that keeps NDSU from not having the largest number of fans for a whole season is the fact that the football season is shorter than the hockey season and there are usually only 6 home games. *Football at NDSU is far more popular than hockey at UNO will ever be.

Just remember that the reason there are 14,000 fans at an NDSU football game is because there aren't many games in the season. *If football played the amount of games that hockey or basketball did, there wouldn't be 14,000 fans at the game. *That's the advantage of hockey is that there are many games to draw revenue from. *[/quote]

If NDSU had the same number of home games in football as UNO has in hockey NDSU would easily outdraw them. Same for UND hockey. More games would not reduce NDSU's football attendance.

USA_Hockey
07-16-2006, 10:39 PM

Just remember that the reason there are 14,000 fans at an NDSU football game is because there aren't many games in the season. *If football played the amount of games that hockey or basketball did, there wouldn't be 14,000 fans at the game. *That's the advantage of hockey is that there are many games to draw revenue from. *

If NDSU had the same number of home games in football as UNO has in hockey NDSU would easily outdraw them. *Same for UND hockey. *More games would not reduce NDSU's football attendance.
[/quote]

This I totally disagree with. Are you saying NDSU football is bigger than UND hockey? The reason football in general draws the most fans for a single game is because there is one game a week. If NDSU had 20 home football games a year there is no way in hell they would average 14,000 fans a game.

kchats
07-16-2006, 10:56 PM
Why not? The players would be pretty beat up with 20 home games but I think there is plenty of interest that NDSU would average 14,000/game or more with that many home games.

Nebraska would sell out every home game they had too. Just because they play less games doesn't mean football is less popular than football. Look at all the fans chomping at the bit for the NFL and NCAA season to start.

So are you telling me that UND is tapped out for hockey as well? If UND had more than 20 home games would UND draw more for their hockey or would their average attendance just drop so you had the same number of total fans.

BisonBacker
07-16-2006, 11:17 PM
Why not? *The players would be pretty beat up with 20 home games but I think there is plenty of interest that NDSU would average 14,000/game or more with that many home games.

Nebraska would sell out every home game they had too. *Just because they play less games doesn't mean football is less popular than football. *Look at all the fans chomping at the bit for the NFL and NCAA season to start.

So are you telling me that UND is tapped out for hockey as well? *If UND had more than 20 home games would UND draw more for their hockey or would their average attendance just drop so you had the same number of total fans.

kchats, why bother with the knucklehead, hooky is his thing and don't you know that football wouldn't exist if NDSU had hooky (sarcasm intended). This whole football/hooky thing is so ridiculous. Enjoy your sport up there and quit telling us how popular it is. If GF had anything going on for people to do hooky would suffer. There is more in Fargo going on to compete with NDSU and yet this town is NDSU crazy. Of course its not hard to be the big dog when your the only show in town unlike Fargo, we have options. Glad to be a Bison and even more Glad not to live in GF. Remind me why do people want to live there again? ;D

TransAmBison
07-17-2006, 12:08 AM

Just remember that the reason there are 14,000 fans at an NDSU football game is because there aren't many games in the season. *If football played the amount of games that hockey or basketball did, there wouldn't be 14,000 fans at the game. *That's the advantage of hockey is that there are many games to draw revenue from. *

If NDSU had the same number of home games in football as UNO has in hockey NDSU would easily outdraw them. *Same for UND hockey. *More games would not reduce NDSU's football attendance.

This I totally disagree with. *Are you saying NDSU football is bigger than UND hockey? *The reason football in general draws the most fans for a single game is because there is one game a week. *If NDSU had 20 home football games a year there is no way in hell they would average 14,000 fans a game. *
[/quote]
I'm not going to tell you that UND hockey isn't popular. We both know it is. But I will tell you Bison football is more popular. We'd put more butts in the seats week in and week out. Personally, I hope we don't ever get hockey. I find it a very boring boxing match. The only good point of NDSU getting a hockey team...it will effect UND's attendance. I'm not saying we would draw a majority of the crowd away...but we'd draw a noticeable amount that effect the attendance. Right now North Dakotans don't have a choice in the state. So, in conclusion, enjoy your hockey success...just don't push the Bison into ever falsely thinking hockey is worth noticing. The Bison entering boxing...I mean curling...I mean figure skating....er, hockey, would not be beneficial to the knuckleheads up north.

USA_Hockey
07-17-2006, 12:34 AM
Why not? *The players would be pretty beat up with 20 home games but I think there is plenty of interest that NDSU would average 14,000/game or more with that many home games.

Nebraska would sell out every home game they had too. *Just because they play less games doesn't mean football is less popular than football. *Look at all the fans chomping at the bit for the NFL and NCAA season to start.

So are you telling me that UND is tapped out for hockey as well? *If UND had more than 20 home games would UND draw more for their hockey or would their average attendance just drop so you had the same number of total fans.

kchats, why bother with the knucklehead, hooky is his thing and don't you know that football wouldn't exist if NDSU had hooky (sarcasm intended). *This whole football/hooky thing is so ridiculous. *Enjoy your sport up there and quit telling us how popular it is. *If GF had anything going on for people to do hooky would suffer. *There is more in Fargo going on to compete with NDSU and yet this town is NDSU crazy. *Of course its not hard to be the big dog when your the only show in town unlike Fargo, we have options. *Glad to be a Bison and even more Glad not to live in GF. *Remind me why do people want to live there again? ;D

So everyone that attends UND sporting events is from GF? Now your calling me a knucklehead. This is a classic example of someone who has never left the state. I really do admire the jealous people who hate the other school/town more than they like their own (sarcasm intended).

USA_Hockey
07-17-2006, 12:40 AM

One thing that makes UND hockey not tapped out is there is a waiting list for season tickets. NDSU football doesn't even sell every seat in the Fargo Dome, so I assume there isn't a huge demand for season tickets. I'm not saying hockey is more popular than football, I see it for what it is, but the popularity of football can be overated.

kchats
07-17-2006, 01:08 AM

One thing that makes UND hockey not tapped out is there is a waiting list for season tickets. *NDSU football doesn't even sell every seat in the Fargo Dome, so I assume there isn't a huge demand for season tickets. *I'm not saying hockey is more popular than football, I see it for what it is, but the popularity of football can be overated. *

But even an dome that isn't completely sold out for NDSU football draws more fans than UND hockey does because of stadium capacity. *NDSU football attendance is on the rise and will be have a higher average again this year. *UND hockey attendance is maxed out.

What's more popular in Minnesota the Twins or the Vikings? *The total attendance for the Twins blows the total attendance for the Vikings out of the water but the Vikings and the NFL are much more popular.

From what I understand the Qwest Center in Omaha seats quite a few which should give UNO hockey a chance to outdraw NDSU football until NDSU sells out consistently, which the Bison are on the way to doing. *It isn't happening.

You never answered my question though. *Would UND have more total attendance if they added home hockey games or would the total attendance remain the same as for 20 home games? *You have implied that NDSU's total attendance for football would not increase over the total attendance for 6 home games, which I am telling you is incorrect. *NDSU would have an additional figure equal to or greater than their average of the other home games which means their total attendance would be higher.

USA_Hockey
07-17-2006, 02:39 AM

One thing that makes UND hockey not tapped out is there is a waiting list for season tickets. *NDSU football doesn't even sell every seat in the Fargo Dome, so I assume there isn't a huge demand for season tickets. *I'm not saying hockey is more popular than football, I see it for what it is, but the popularity of football can be overated. *

But even an dome that isn't completely sold out for NDSU football draws more fans than UND hockey does because of stadium capacity. *NDSU football attendance is on the rise and will be have a higher average again this year. *UND hockey attendance is maxed out.

What's more popular in Minnesota the Twins or the Vikings? *The total attendance for the Twins blows the total attendance for the Vikings out of the water but the Vikings and the NFL are much more popular.

From what I understand the Qwest Center in Omaha seats quite a few which should give UNO hockey a chance to outdraw NDSU football until NDSU sells out consistently, which the Bison are on the way to doing. *It isn't happening.

You never answered my question though. *Would UND have more total attendance if they added home hockey games or would the total attendance remain the same as for 20 home games? *You have implied that NDSU's total attendance for football would not increase over the total attendance for 6 home games, which I am telling you is incorrect. *NDSU would have an additional figure equal to or greater than their average of the other home games which means their total attendance would be higher.

Adding more hockey games would not increase attendance because it would mean there is less demand for a single game ticket because there are more games. However, increasing the capacity in the Ralph would increase attendance because there is a waiting list for season tickets. Lets say there were six home UND hockey games a year and lets mess with the capacity of the Ralph, the attendance would increase dramatically because there would be a larger demand for a single game ticket. Since you can't increase the capacity of the Ralph, then the price of a single game ticket would rise dramatically because of an increase demand (making UND hockey much more profitable). Not to mention the fact it is already more money to attend a UND hockey game than a NDSU football game. NDSU doesn't have that same demand for tickets because they don't sell out there games as it is. With increased games the attendance would actually fall because there would be a less demand for more games. The reason football gets the crowds that it does is because there is a higher demand for a single game ticket where as with other sports there is less demand for a single game because there is a more supply of games. In contrast, the reason UND hockey gets less people at a single game than NDSU football is because there is a more supply of games which lessons the demand on a ticket for a single game.

broke_back_mnt
07-17-2006, 01:44 PM
NDSU has a greater per game demand for football tickets in the Fabulous Fargo Dome because we sell more on a per game basis than und hockey. *Its true we have an excess supply which give us room to grow. *

Stadium size and market demand are not related. Normally a stadium is scaled to the market. Building a big or small stadium in itself does not affect demand. *

Attendance and price are connected. To maximize revenues you have to understand your price elasticity. If you sold cheap enough tickets you might be able to sell out the hilarious because the low price increases demand, but your gross revenues may be less than you get now with the place half full.

DIBISON
07-18-2006, 01:58 AM

This I totally disagree with. *Are you saying NDSU football is bigger than UND hockey? *The reason football in general draws the most fans for a single game is because there is one game a week. *If NDSU had 20 home football games a year there is no way in hell they would average 14,000 fans a game. *
[/quote]

Why not? Let me think, what about the number of Twin's games or I wonder about what would happend if the Vikings had more games.

All I know for sure is that NDSU football averages 14,500 fans a game and UND hockey averages somewhere around 10,000 + a game. That is a fact so just do the math.

89rabbit
07-27-2006, 03:59 PM
More news out of Omaha:

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=38&u_sid=2212863

Regents want answers on UNO athletics

BY MATTHEW HANSEN

University of Nebraska regents knew little about the fiscal problems facing the University of Nebraska at Omaha's athletic department and will demand answers at their meeting this week.

In interviews with The World-Herald, five regents said UNO Chancellor Nancy Belck never told them that she had shifted $1 million in each of the last two years from reserve funds to keep the UNO athletic department out of the red.

They said Belck and NU President J.B. Milliken never informed them that Maverick sports had lost about $3.5 million over five years. And Milliken said Belck told him only last month. *. *. *.

When the regents meet Friday in Grand Island, several said, they want to talk with Belck and get answers to some lingering questions:

? Why weren't key athletic boosters consulted before the UNO athletic department laid off five employees?

? Did Belck and others have their priorities confused when they shifted university money to bolster the athletic department?

? Why are the regents learning of all this from a newspaper?

"How can you be part of the solution when you don't know about the problem?" asked Regent Randy Ferlic of Omaha this week. "(Boosters) are mad. . . . I feel the same way."

Regents often don't know about budget problems in specific university departments and say they didn't need to know every detail about the UNO athletic department budget crunch.

But they say that Belck broke what Regent Kent Schroeder of Kearney called "an unwritten rule" - tell the regents about potential controversies, particularly involving something as high-profile as sports, especially if the controversy might become public.

For example, Milliken told regents about a UNO student's complaint that high-profile dean Tom Gouttierre allegedly slapped her weeks before the complaint became public, Schroeder said. But for whatever reason, he said, the UNO athletic department budget woes never reached the regents.

"I want to hear from Chancellor Belck, and (UNO vice chancellor) Jim Buck, and whoever else," said Regent Charles Wilson of Lincoln.

Responding, Belck said she doesn't believe that she withheld any information that should have been shared with the NU president or the regents.

The budgetary moves weren't large enough to take to the board, she said Tuesday.

Her focus was on handling the athletic department crisis in-house, not making that crisis public, Belck said. *. *. *. *

Several regents said they would have objected to the extra $2 million that Belck sent to the athletic department, had they known about it. *. *. *.

Hassebrook and Wilson said any additional money for the athletic department should be questioned, especially since a budget crisis forced UNO to cut nearly $12 million - including 170 academic positions - several years ago. *. *. *. *(read more)

Bison_Dan
07-27-2006, 05:54 PM
Yea they're DI material! * *;D

sambini
07-28-2006, 01:23 AM
Do you think Dave Herbster is iin trouble?

89rabbit
07-28-2006, 04:10 AM
Ohhhhhhh now they have done it . *. *. they have brought heat down on Big Red this can't be good for UNO. * :o

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=1640&u_sid=2213692

Regent calls for audits of sports departments

by Matthew Hansen, Omaha World Herald

A University of Nebraska regent said today that he wants an audit of all three NU athletic departments.

His request will come at a Friday meeting of the NU Board of Regents, where UNO Chancellor Nancy Belck has been called to discuss the UNO athletic department's financial problems. *. *. *.

"This is an opportunity to start a dialogue about the cost of athletics on all campuses," said Regent Randy Ferlic of Omaha, who plans to request the audit.

"I welcome that. I'm sure the campuses aren't going to welcome it," he said. *. *. *.

Three regents - Ferlic, Regent Chuck Hassebrook of Lyons and Regent Charles Wilson of Lincoln - recently have criticized what they see as a college athletics financial arms race. Hassebrook has called for UNO to cut football to balance its budget. *. *. *. *(read more)

Go State! *:)

89rabbit
07-28-2006, 04:11 AM
Wait there is more:

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=38&u_sid=2213924

Audit of UNO athletics sought

by Henry J. Cordes and Matthew Hansen, Omaha World Herald

UNO athletic booster David Sokol for years has sponsored a bonus program for Maverick athletics administrators.

In that role, he says, he would sit down each spring with UNO Chancellor Nancy Belck and Vice Chancellor Jim Buck to evaluate the performance of the athletic director and his staff, with one of the most important criteria being on-budget performance.

So Sokol was surprised to learn in recent weeks that the University of Nebraska at Omaha has had athletic budget woes for five years.

That period would include at least three years when Sokol says he wrote bonus checks - annually totaling $25,000 to $35,000 - in part as a reward for the department's fiscal management.

"We paid significant bonuses in those years, with the chancellor and vice chancellor agreeing," said Sokol, chief executive of Mid-American Energy Co. "It's part of the bizarreness of what's going on."

That is one reason Sokol wants an audit of UNO's athletics finances, either by an outside firm or by the NU system's central administration. And he's not the only one.

In the wake of recent revelations, an NU regent and a growing number of UNO boosters are also requesting such an audit.

Both Sokol and booster Lee Sapp say they won't make any new financial commitments to UNO's athletic department until their concerns are met.

"Not until this thing is straightened out," Sapp said. "We need an audit, and it should be an outside audit rather than an inside audit."

UNO's fieldhouse is named for Lee Sapp and his wife, Helene, because of previous major donations. . . . (read more)

Ouch, ugly ugly times at UNO. :'(

Go State! :)

sambini
07-28-2006, 04:46 AM
Sounds not so good at UNO.

broke_back_mnt
07-28-2006, 11:47 AM
The D1 NCC is looking a little less likely this morning.

sambini
07-28-2006, 05:05 PM
That Sokol guy works for Warren BUFFET?

BisonMav
07-28-2006, 06:20 PM
Sapp has a few bucks too!

sambini
07-28-2006, 09:01 PM
They got some serious money in Omaha.

kchats
07-29-2006, 01:04 AM
Too bad they aren't giving any to UNO huh? ;)

sambini
07-29-2006, 02:53 PM
A lot to Lincoln?

kchats
08-06-2006, 04:56 AM
More to Bill Gates. ;)

Larz
09-11-2006, 01:33 AM
NCC wants to keep UNO; committee targets MIAA
Omaha World Herald, Saturday September 9, By Rob White
The commissioner of the North Central Conference still wants UNO to be part of the league’s future, even though a committee studying the UNO athletic department is recommending the school seek membership in the Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletics Association.
-“I personally see UNO being a big part of the league, Roger Thomas said Friday. We’re still working on expansion, or a merger, or whatever it takes. Until decisions are made, we’re trying to keep the league together and grow it. It’s got such a great tradition that we’re still holding on to it.”
-“That conference, in our view, will no longer be a viable conference in a few years,” former U.S. Sen. David Karnes said Friday in a presentation to the University of Nebraska Board of Regents. The Karnes committee examined the financially troubled UNO Athletic department and came up with a number of recommendations. It determined that UNO should stay in Division II and pursue membership in the MIAA immediately.
-“I think that probably makes sense,” David Sokol, the chairman and CEO of MidAmerican Energy and a prominent UNO supporter. “You have to get the ship upright first, and staying in Division II and in the right conference is the first step. Until you get the sip righted, you can’t consider I-AA.
-Other comments:
1. The committee is recommending that UNO continue to support any NCAA legislation that would allow two sports to move to Division I.
2. More financial support and marketing effort should be geared toward hockey, as a way to get the athletic department back in the black. Revenue shortfalls, because of falling attendance, helped plunge the department into debt over the past five years.
3. “Our view, “ Karnes said, “is ‘Let’s make that program demonstrate that UNO can be successful operating a Division I program first, before moving other sports to Division I.’”
4. Mike Denney, wrestling coach, indicated that if UNO went into the MIAA it would become stronger than the old NCC. “It becomes an elite conference in Division II. UNO football coach Pat Behrns declined to comment.
5. UNO Athletic Director David Herbster said, “I’m not interested in merging with the Northern Sun.” Both the NCC and the MIAA allow the Division II maximum of 36 scholarships.

Finally, Thomas said forming a scheduling alliance with the MIAA is one option that has been discussed for the NCC’s future. “I’ve talked with commissioners and athletic directors from the leagues that surround us,” Thomas said. “There’s such a changing landscape, we’re trying to explore any and all ideas. There’s an evolution going on, and everyone is deciding what is the best way to have Division II athletics – whether it’s through conference affiliation or alliances.”

sambini
09-11-2006, 03:18 AM
Sounds like Roger is trying to save his job?

IowaBison
09-12-2006, 05:59 PM
Belck resigns

http://nebraska.statepaper.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2006/09/12/4506d6877a583

IowaBison
09-12-2006, 06:02 PM
http://www.unogateway.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2006/08/29/44f455edddbf6

broke_back_mnt
09-12-2006, 06:24 PM
"June 20 – Citing a revenue shortfall of $440,000, the UNO athletic department lays off five employees, including Associate Athletic Director Deb Denbeck."

This doesnt happen in North Dakota. The president of the university with $1mill in athletic shortfalls simply uses the surplus appropriations it receives from the State to pay the bills and continues to spend as it sees fit. In fact he is lobbying for even more state money to try and stay even with NDSU.

BisonBacker
09-12-2006, 08:01 PM
"June 20 – Citing a revenue shortfall of $440,000, the UNO athletic department lays off five employees, including Associate Athletic Director Deb Denbeck."

This doesnt happen in North Dakota. *The president of the university with $1mill in athletic shortfalls simply uses the surplus appropriations it receives from the State to pay the bills and continues to spend as it sees fit. *In fact he is lobbying for even more state money to try and stay even with NDSU.
I wish we had the press that they have down south covering cup o jello's actions. Maybe then the disparity in funding would be addressed finally.