PDA

View Full Version : UN-O story

tony
09-19-2006, 08:57 AM
http://www.journalstar.com/articles/2006/09/19/editorial_main/doc450c6fa84ca27238901923.txt

Gist of it: UN-O is talking about going DI. UNL fans not happy.

BisonBacker
09-19-2006, 01:44 PM
Its funny you should post that, sounds strangely familiar to another situation I know about including the financial mismanagement of funds albeit that happened a few years ago. What I don't understand about the more local situation is why no media seems to want to touch the story. In either case its a prime example of spending money you don't have to keep up with the neighbors and a poor model of financial management.

Bison_Dan
09-19-2006, 02:02 PM
Its funny you should post that, sounds strangely familiar to another situation I know about including the financial mismanagement of funds albeit that happened a few years ago. *What I don't understand about the more local situation is why no media seems to want to touch the story. *In either case its a prime example of spending money you don't have to keep up with the neighbors and a poor model of financial management.

You can bet your sweet ass that if NDSU was having financial problems the press would be all over it.

Yote_53
09-19-2006, 02:09 PM
Listening to Omaha radio on a daily basis, I have had the luxury(?) of following this story all summer. The overwhelming opinion of UNO boosters (such as those who head the Beef Club) is that UNO needs to get the ship righted in D2 first before they move up to D1. the feeling down there is that once the NCC implodes they will seek membership in the MIAA which enables them to compete on the high level of D2 like they did in the NCC and prepare themselves for an eventual move to D1. UNO appears to be at least a few years away, however, nothing can bring donors out of the woodwork like reacting to a crisis. Ironically, this whole AD scandal fiasco has shed a lot of light on UNO atheltics down in Omaha. Omaha and Lincoln have this rivalry as to which city is more important in the state. Creighton basketball has already been adopted as the city's basketball team and UNL basketball has been dumped of any support from Omaha. Not saying that anything could ever stop the BIG Red Machine that is UNL football, but Omaha would definitely take to a D1 program with their namesake ala UNC-Charlotte or many of the other hyphen schools, putting Omaha on the map on a national level. We've all seen how that town goes crazy and rolls out the carpet for the College World Series.

I wouldn't bet against a D1 UNO in the future.

BisonBacker
09-19-2006, 02:29 PM
Its funny you should post that, sounds strangely familiar to another situation I know about including the financial mismanagement of funds albeit that happened a few years ago. *What I don't understand about the more local situation is why no media seems to want to touch the story. *In either case its a prime example of spending money you don't have to keep up with the neighbors and a poor model of financial management.

You can bet your sweet ass that if NDSU was having financial problems the press would be all over it.

I'd bet my house on it but for some strange reason they (the school to the north) seem to get a pass from the media. Go figure.