PDA

View Full Version : Crookston to DIII...Minot state to NSIC?

Bison101
10-23-2006, 06:25 PM
Picked up on this on the D2football.com website. Crookston has applied for membership in DIII, here is the official release.

ISSUE: 2006-07 Reclassifying Member Applications.

Management Council Recommendation:

Accept the following applications, effective beginning 2007-08, for Division III reclassifying membership (both institutions requested one-year delay in start):

(a) Birmingham Southern College (2007-08); and

(b) University of Minnesota, Crookston (2007-08).

This can be found at http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/!ut/p/kcxml/04_Sj9SPykssy0xPLMnMz0vM0Y_QjzKLN4j3CQXJgFjGpvqRqC KO6AI-YRARXwN9X4_83FR9b_0A_YLc0NCIckdFALOxkFY!/delta/base64xml/L3dJdyEvUUd3QndNQSEvNElVRS82XzBfTFU!?CONTENT_URL=h ttp://www1.ncaa.org/membership/governance/division_III/presidents_council/2006/August/PC_working_agenda.htm#MC

Anyways, I personally believe that this would be a good move for Crookston as they haven't even been treading water in DII. I know that Minot State has been kicking around DII for a while and this may be their chance. Once in DII their is talk of Hockey in their future which would be awesome, however this would kill any chance of NDSU hockey. :'( Bottom line is this move would be good for both North Dakota and Minot State. Are their any other schools in No-dak that could go DII? Maybe Dickinson? I highy doubt it though. The only other school I keep hearing about in regards to DII is Carol College. Anyways, here's to hoping this happens.

MinotBison
10-23-2006, 08:37 PM
I think it would be a good fit for the Beavers.

They would have the U Mary as a travel partner, and most of the NSIC schools are in reasonably close proximity, so travel costs would not be that much more.

As with any school making such a move, it is always a question of money, but I think if such a situation were proposed, the MSU administration would take a good hard look at it. I certainly think it would be do-able for them.

As for the other schools, Mayville's finances are a big problem, and Jamestown, Valley City and Dickinson are probably happy right where they are at.

Stay tuned.

bisonranch
10-24-2006, 12:11 AM
Minot has a great Bball facility, not sure about the others. Anyone else know? Do they play hocky at the ND Fair Grounds?

MinotBison
10-24-2006, 01:32 AM
Minot has a great Bball facility, not sure about the others. *Anyone else know? *Do they play hocky at the ND Fair Grounds?

Most of the time, they hockey play at the All Seasons Arena, which is on the State Fairgrounds. Once in awhile, due to scheduling conflicts, they play at the MAYSA Arena, which is a much smaller place on the west side of town.

Their BB facility in the Dome would probably be the nicest in the NSIC. It's way too big for them, but it does host the various state BB tournaments every few years, which is what I think it was primarily built for anyway.

sambini
10-24-2006, 03:41 AM
GOOD MOVE FOR CROOKSTON. Minot do you think the Beavers will go to D2?

MinotBison
10-24-2006, 04:08 AM
GOOD MOVE FOR CROOKSTON. Minot do you think the Beavers will go to D2?

Kicking and screaming, but yeah, probably.

The problem they will have IF they decide to make the move is that they have never had to raise the kind of $$$$ it will take.

In my opinion, it wouldn't take that much more than what they are currently raising, but whatever increase is needed, you have to change the mindset of their boosters. That's the biggest obstacle.