PDA

View Full Version : USD Press Release

BisonMav
06-22-2006, 12:05 PM
South Dakota's Response to UND's announcement.

USD Release Link (http://www.usdcoyotes.com/sports/news/release.asp?release_id=3223)

Didn't DII start in 1972?
“USD has maintained its commitment to Division II and the North Central Conference for 85 years,” said President Abbott.

BisonMav
06-22-2006, 12:50 PM
Augie and USD from the Argus Leader

Argus Leader (http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060622/SPORTS/606220348/1002)

With yet another of the league's big hitters departing, the NCC's two remaining Dakota schools must once again re-assess their athletic status.

Will the Coyotes and Vikings remain steadfast in support of the NCC and Division II, even as regional rivals continue to flee? Or do the schools follow those that have left, citing many of the same reasons that UND stated?

RedRiver
06-22-2006, 02:20 PM
With und remaining DII and part of the NCC for another two full years, there is time for the NCC to determine whether the conference can move up to DI together. I am sure that the league will look at this option. This would also give the current members a DI home.

broke_back_mnt
06-22-2006, 03:34 PM
We now have NDSU, SDSU, Und in a few yrs, USD and Augi both now officially studying. *Thats 5. *Add a couple more any you have the NCC again in DI.

I wonder if an established conference like the NCC would get some favor with regard to auto bids in a divisional transition?

mikelsch
06-22-2006, 03:45 PM
We now have NDSU, SDSU, Und in a few yrs, USD and Augi both now officially studying. *Thats 5. *Add a couple more any you have the NCC again in DI.

I wonder if an established conference like the NCC would get some favor with regard to auto bids in a divisional transition?

Why would a former DII conference get special consideration? NO WAY

Besides, all those schools wouldn't end up in the same conference anyway (even if they all move up). NDSU isn't rejoining the NCC.

BisonBacker
06-22-2006, 04:45 PM

USD, Augustana going DI? Wow if that happens which I can't imagine they are going to struggle mightly financially to compete.

BisonBacker
06-22-2006, 04:45 PM

Why would a former DII conference get special consideration? *NO WAY

Besides, all those schools wouldn't end up in the same conference anyway (even if they all move up). *NDSU isn't rejoining the NCC.

A voice of reason, finally!

roadwarrior
06-22-2006, 04:56 PM
All of the remaining schools in the NCC must take a look at where they stand, but I dont expect them all to make the move to D-I. A more logical end result is how the NSIC and NCC shakeout with members moving around.

sambini
06-22-2006, 06:55 PM
+++++++++++++++

NanoBison
06-22-2006, 07:17 PM
The last damn place I would want us to end up, after all the hard work that has been done by NDSU and SDSU administrators, fans and supporters, is a Division I-AA version of the NCC. What the hell would we have accomplished by that? I say we used any of the pull we currently have, along with SDSU, and block any additional Universities from making the move up, or at least make it as tough as hell to get where their hoping to go. (Don't schedule them at all through the transitions, show our disapproval of their name, etc...).

We should also make every effort not to work with UND and not lend any support to them. We need to end up in a different conference from UND as well. I want to see some new blood. I also want us to play the big guys every so often, instead of lowering ourselves to the conformity of the simple-minded folks who think "we should do what's best for North Dakota", and reschedule that fabulous UND-NDSU FB game at the dome. You know them, they think the there is nothing beneficial outside of that 75 miles between G.F. and Fargo. Hell, North Dakota doesn't even know whats best for it. We have a financially strained systemwide university system in North Dakota. The rest of the state is currently carried by the two cities on the eastern border (with the exception of Bismarck...they are doing fine). We're always constantly fighting over money, and really support of the state.

NDSU should do what's best for NDSU. Not UND. Not the state of North Dakota. If you people miss the Nickel and rivalry so damn much, I'll buy you a $5 replica, at a gift shop, for you to sit on your desk and loathe over. Get over it, we're on our way to bigger and brighter things. UND isn't going to be a part of that. I'm for one glad it's over.

BisonBacker
06-22-2006, 07:19 PM
AMEN TO THAT!

MplsBison
06-22-2006, 10:01 PM
The last damn place I would want us to end up, after all the hard work that has been done by NDSU and SDSU administrators, fans and supporters, is a Division I-AA version of the NCC. What the hell would we have accomplished by that? I say we used any of the pull we currently have, along with SDSU, and block any additional Universities from making the move up, or at least make it as tough as hell to get where their hoping to go. (Don't schedule them at all through the transitions, show our disapproval of their name, etc...).

We should also make every effort not to work with UND and not lend any support to them. We need to end up in a different conference from UND as well. I want to see some new blood. I also want us to play the big guys every so often, instead of lowering ourselves to the conformity of the simple-minded folks who think "we should do what's best for North Dakota", and reschedule that fabulous UND-NDSU FB game at the dome. You know them, they think the there is nothing beneficial outside of that 75 miles between G.F. and Fargo. Hell, North Dakota doesn't even know whats best for it. We have a financially strained systemwide university system in North Dakota. The rest of the state is currently carried by the two cities on the eastern border (with the exception of Bismarck...they are doing fine). We're always constantly fighting over money, and really support of the state.

NDSU should do what's best for NDSU. Not UND. Not the state of North Dakota. If you people miss the Nickel and rivalry so damn much, I'll buy you a $5 replica, at a gift shop, for you to sit on your desk and loathe over. Get over it, we're on our way to bigger and brighter things. UND isn't going to be a part of that. I'm for one glad it's over.

Absolutely couldn't disagree more.

NDSU and UND need to work together along with SDSU and USD (when they move up).

UND and USD won't need our (or SDSU's) help. They can figure it out themselves.

But doing everything in our power to block them or make things hard for them?

Absolutely not.

Augi is going to the NSIC. There is no other way about it.

USD may decide to stay in DII. That's their loss.

Hopefully they'll see the light and move up as well.

NanoBison
06-22-2006, 10:19 PM
NDSU doesn't need to work with UND. NDSU needs to work with SDSU. People, think outside of the RRV for a change will you? UND is on their own on this one. You people amaze me. UND is like the girlfriend that gets around....with everyone.... the village bicycle. She has a very poor local image. Her name is even known to offend others. She'll keep stabbing you in the back no matter what and never apologizes for anything. Even when she bad mouths you in front of your peers. But yet, you guys still want to hook up with that? I'll take the ugly girl from the MidCon. Bessie. She may not know how to "work it", but she's loyal and will support us on where we want to go. Plus, she'll probably be very understanding if the school tease (BigSky) finally asks us out on a date.

;D

Scooter
06-22-2006, 11:21 PM

Absolutely not.

IAA isn't for everyone. I think USD is content right where they are, it may be in a different conference but it will be DII.

You are right about one thing. UND doesn't need our help. Why offer it to them or work with them? We are not a boxed set. If you believe that we are, well, maybe BBjr isn't as crazy as you all claim. (refer to the dumbest thread ever- civil war is over, vision will prevail)

WYOBISONMAN
06-23-2006, 12:33 AM
The NCC had become a conference that had a lot of "non-peer" institutions. I don't cosider Mankato, as an example, a peer of NDSU. I would hate to go back to that. The best conference for NDSU is once made up off peer institutions. That would be the SDSUs, Montanas and Montana States of the world.

SDbison
06-23-2006, 12:48 AM
The NCC had become a conference that had a lot of "non-peer" institutions. *I don't cosider Mankato, as an example, a peer of NDSU. *I would hate to go back to that. *The best conference for NDSU is once made up off peer institutions. *That would be the SDSUs, Montanas and Montana States of the world.
Well said Wyo!

kchats
06-23-2006, 05:05 AM
No plans for Mavs to jump to Div. I

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=528&u_xid=429&u_sid=2193547

"Four schools are absolutely committed and want to stay in Division II," Belck said, naming Minnesota-Duluth, St. Cloud State, Minnesota State-Mankato and UNO. "Augustana has a new president, and he simply has said he can't make a judgment right now. It has been unsettling the last few years to see schools depart, but the four of us are committed to Division II and do not have a move on the horizon. UNO is not looking at it."

'Devastated': UNO cuts five positions

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=528&u_xid=429&u_sid=2192993

UND move to Division I ripples into S. Dakota
Augustana, USD now considering changes

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060622/SPORTS/606220348/1002

mikelsch
06-23-2006, 04:20 PM
Augustana needs to stay in DII
South Dakota should stay - a move up doesn't sound financially possible according to our SDSU friends

MplsBison
06-23-2006, 10:22 PM
No suprise that Omaha, Mankato, Saint Cloud, and Duluth are planning on staying DII.

I have no doubt that Augi will also stay in DII. Their only chance at DI would be to drop football. I don't think they should do that. They potentially have a great DII city rivalry with U Sioux Falls if they move to DII from NAIA (they're building their own on campus stadium).

What does suprise me is that Omaha is "commited to the NCC". Does that really mean anything?

Are we supposed to believe that they won't jump ship to the MIAA?

It says they want to bring other teams to the NCC, not leave the NCC.

I still expect USD to make the move to DI. The four schools make a logical grouping and would be a strong set to offer to any DI conference.

BisonMav
06-24-2006, 01:54 AM
I have no doubt that Augi will also stay in DII. Their only chance at DI would be to drop football. I don't think they should do that. They potentially have a great DII city rivalry with U Sioux Falls if they move to DII from NAIA (they're building their own on campus stadium).

The other real option for Augustana would be I-AA Non-scholarship football like Drake and Valpo. No saying it will happen, but it's a possiblility.

johnnyboy
06-24-2006, 02:50 AM

Absolutely not.

IAA isn't for everyone. *I think USD is content right where they are, it may be in a different conference but it will be DII. *

You are right about one thing. *UND doesn't need our help. *Why offer it to them or work with them? *We are not a boxed set. *If you believe that we are, well, maybe BBjr isn't as crazy as you all claim. (refer to the dumbest thread ever- civil war is over, vision will prevail) *

THINGS GET CURIOUSER AND CURIOUSER!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Mr._Bill
06-24-2006, 03:10 AM
These schools need to be making moves for the right reasons. Going D1 because someone else went D1 could really bite you. It is about acedemics, athletics and a real commitment.

It looks like there is still strong NCC commitment from the remaining schools. I am glad to see that. USD looks to be the one giving this some really hard thought.

bincitysioux
06-30-2006, 04:36 AM
For anyone looking for more insight on what USD, or at least their fans, may be thinking, their is a USD message board, it is relatively new.

USD Coyote Message Board (http://coyotesports.proboards100.com/index.cgi)

Paulie
06-30-2006, 02:11 PM
Has anyone considered a USD/SDSU merger? *the Coybbits? * ::) *

BisonMav
06-30-2006, 05:05 PM

It sounds Coyote Ugly to me.

Scooter
06-30-2006, 06:20 PM

I'm partial to the "Coy Jacks" ::)

Although the "Fighting BiCoyJackson" has a good ring to it if we merge the States. Get Augustana in there and we can be the "Fighting AggieBiCoy Jackson Five" :D

RedRiver
07-19-2006, 09:45 PM
According to Kolpack in the Bison Media Blog, the move to DI by USD will be a done deal. At least und will have a partner during their long independent status!!

http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/

mikelsch
07-19-2006, 10:09 PM
Here's the USD press release giving details about their DI task force- November 6 is their deadline.
http://www.yankton.net/stories/071906/sports_20060719011.shtml

MinotBison
07-19-2006, 10:59 PM
According to Kolpack in the Bison Media Blog, the move to DI by USD will be a done deal. *At least und will have a partner during their long independent status!!

http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/

Not much left of the old NCC, is there? I wonder what will become of it? Will they try to recruit new members, or at some point just call it a day?

NanoBison
07-20-2006, 01:12 AM
How pathetic is this? USD going to DI becuase UND's move caught their eye? UND is moving on NDSU's coattails, so basically USD is even more pathetic than UND... and I thought that wasn't even possible. Congratulations USD, you have hit a new low...

:D

NanoBison
07-20-2006, 01:15 AM
Is it just me, or are these new "we're studying a move to DI" announcements, getting to be as interesting and appealing as the Macerana after the sixth straight month of hearing it over and over and over on the radio .....

Ahhhhhh Macerana!!!! Oeyhh!

kchats
07-20-2006, 02:00 AM
Why even announce you plan on studying a move to division I if you aren't really going to study it? An in house bullshit session to make people think you actually studied it isn't the same. The study needs to be done from an outside impartial group to be worth a damn. All the former NCC schools that are moving up to division I without studying whether they can actually do it could be in for a big fall. The arrogance of these schools to make the move without a study because NDSU and SDSU have done well. It reeks of why should we pay somebody else to look at it, NDSU and SDSU did it and we are better than them. >:(

sambini
07-20-2006, 04:18 AM
LEAD FOLLOW OR GET THE HELL OUT OF THE WAY

IowaBison
07-20-2006, 12:51 PM
Why even announce you plan on studying a move to division I if you aren't really going to study it? An in house bullshit session to make people think you actually studied it isn't the same. The study needs to be done from an outside impartial group to be worth a damn. All the former NCC schools that are moving up to division I without studying whether they can actually do it could be in for a big fall. The arrogance of these schools to make the move without a study because NDSU and SDSU have done well. It reeks of why should we pay somebody else to look at it, NDSU and SDSU did it and we are better than them. >:(

Let 'em do it half-assed. If they do make the move they'll suffer for not having professional input.

RedRiver
07-20-2006, 01:13 PM
This is good and bad news for und. Now they will have a partner in the DI transition, but if a conference only wants one team it could be USD because of the location issue!!

IowaBisonToo
07-20-2006, 02:58 PM
This is good and bad news for und. *Now they will have a partner in the DI transition, but if a conference only wants one team it could be USD because of the location issue!!
USD is no worse off in terms of location than is SDSU. They're both in the middle of BFE when it comes to airports, etc. In fact, USD might be better off if you look strictly at mileage. If a team wanted to get to USD, they could take a charter flight (or NWA) into Sioux City. From Sioux City to Vermillion is about 40 miles - about 20 miles shorter than the trip from Sioux Falls to Brookings.

Now granted, there is a BIG difference in terms of the towns themselves but location/distance in general you might say is a wash.

sambini
07-21-2006, 10:33 PM
Its all about location, location according to the BIG SKY.

bincitysioux
07-22-2006, 05:03 AM
Why even announce you plan on studying a move to division I if you aren't really going to study it? *An in house bullshit session to make people think you actually studied it isn't the same. *The study needs to be done from an outside impartial group to be worth a damn.

Why hire an outside firm to do the study if you're just going to ignore their findings? Sound Familiar? :P

bincitysioux
07-22-2006, 05:13 AM
How pathetic is this? USD going to DI becuase UND's move caught their eye? UND is moving on NDSU's coattails, so basically USD is even more pathetic than UND... and I thought that wasn't even possible. Congratulations USD, you have hit a new low...

It's all about how one looks at it. I guess NDSU rode into DI on Northern Colorado's coattails, huh? Since you are so obsessed with who did what first, which NCAA school was the very first to move from DII to DI-AA? I guess that is who was visionary and whose coattails we are all following! Here's a thought about NDSU: if they're the leader, the visionary, and so progressive, how come they were not the first North Dakota university to compete in Divison I athletics?

bisonmike
07-22-2006, 02:18 PM

It's all about how one looks at it. *I guess NDSU rode into DI on Northern Colorado's coattails, huh? *Since you are so obsessed with who did what first, which NCAA school was the very first to move from DII to DI-AA? *I guess that is who was visionary and whose coattails we are all following! *Here's a thought about NDSU: *if they're the leader, the visionary, and so progressive, how come they were not the first North Dakota university to compete in Divison I athletics?

The reason why many people, especially NDSU fans, view UND as riding NDSU's coattails is how UND first reacted to the news that we were going to D1. There was nothing but cheap shots, ill will and petty insults thrown our way. UND said everything they could to make NDSU's move look rushed and ill-advised. And now all of a sudden everything has changed and now it makes complete sense to move to D1. Had UND not said anything at all about our move or had they been more like, "well there doing what's best for their university" I don't think as many people would be viewing UND as copy cats.

Bisonguy
07-22-2006, 02:23 PM

It's all about how one looks at it. *I guess NDSU rode into DI on Northern Colorado's coattails, huh? *Since you are so obsessed with who did what first, which NCAA school was the very first to move from DII to DI-AA? *I guess that is who was visionary and whose coattails we are all following! *Here's a thought about NDSU: *if they're the leader, the visionary, and so progressive, how come they were not the first North Dakota university to compete in Divison I athletics?

The reason why many people, especially NDSU fans, view UND as riding NDSU's coattails is how UND first reacted to the news that we were going to D1. *There was nothing but cheap shots, ill will and petty insults thrown our way. *UND said everything they could to make NDSU's move look rushed and ill-advised. *And now all of a sudden everything has changed and now it makes complete sense to move to D1. *Had UND not said anything at all about our move or had they been more like, "well there doing what's best for their university" I don't think as many people would be viewing UND as copy cats.

Don't forget that it was NDSU trying to have the entire NCC move to DI since the late 90's, including Doug Fullerton's presentation at a NCC meeting in 2000. SDSU, UNC and USD were all in favor of moving the NCC to DI.

NDSUguy
07-22-2006, 03:51 PM

It's all about how one looks at it. I guess NDSU rode into DI on Northern Colorado's coattails, huh? Since you are so obsessed with who did what first, which NCAA school was the very first to move from DII to DI-AA? I guess that is who was visionary and whose coattails we are all following! Here's a thought about NDSU: if they're the leader, the visionary, and so progressive, how come they were not the first North Dakota university to compete in Divison I athletics?

I love how all the UND fans hang their hat on their one Division I sport... Let me remind you that Hockey has two levels at the collegiate level. Division I and what basically equates to DIII (small private schools)... Since UND is considered an upper DII school it made sense for them to join the ranks of DI instead of DIII (because of scholorships, $$$, etc). Let me remind you of a few other schools that are also D1:

Bemidji State
Nebraska-Omaha
Minnesota-Duluth
Mankato

All of these schools (except Bemidji State) are D1 and are UND's academic peers... UND's peers are not the UofM, Wisconsin, etc (because of school size, academics, programs, research, etc). My point is that Division I hockey (which has a few very good conferences) is made up of all hockey schools that for the most part not small private schools. The reason that UND plays where they do is mostly because of geography (which is why they are in the WCHA) and their record on the ice.

Not that NDSU would/could ever field a hockey team but if we did we would immediatly have D1 hockey also.

Mr._Bill
07-22-2006, 04:28 PM
[quote author=NanoBison link=1150977959/30#30 date=1153357947]How pathetic is this? USD going to DI becuase UND's move caught their eye? UND is moving on NDSU's coattails, so basically USD is even more pathetic than UND... and I thought that wasn't even possible. Congratulations USD, you have hit a new low...

Let's make sure that we are honest, und is one of the top 5 hockey programs in the ncaa. *They are not just a D1 wannabe in hockey, they are one of the best in hockey. *They definitely distinguish themselves from each of the D2 schools that you listed in hockey. *Granted, this is hockey and only in hockey, but do not try to throw cold water on their hockey program, it is (generally) good for the state of ND, which I support. *

This is coming from someone who doesn't give a crap about und, and thinks that the REA relationship with the sioux hockey program is a sham and does much more harm than good. *It would rather see them with an OK arena owned by und. *Instead the hockey program is owned by a rich alum, rather than und. *As supporter of the state of ND, I think that's sad. *When und people tell me about their great arena, it doesn't impress me that they sold their soul for $100 million and padded seats.

BisonMav
07-22-2006, 04:30 PM
*if they're the leader, the visionary, and so progressive, how come they were not the first North Dakota university to compete in Divison I athletics?

What division were NDSU and UND playing football in 1920, 30, 40?

Must have been DI :o

kchats
07-23-2006, 03:58 AM
Why even announce you plan on studying a move to division I if you aren't really going to study it? *An in house bullshit session to make people think you actually studied it isn't the same. *The study needs to be done from an outside impartial group to be worth a damn.

Why hire an outside firm to do the study if you're just going to ignore their findings? *Sound Familiar? * :P

The only thing NDSU ignored out of the Carr report was being accepted in a conference prior to making the move. The rest of the report stated NDSU was ready and its market was ready as well. NDSU and SDSU also found out quite quickly that division I conferences wouldn't even considered a university for acceptance in a conference if they had not declared for division I and started the transition.

As for Northern Colorado, NDSU and SDSU decided to make the move at nearly the same time as Northern Colorado but they waited a year to let the rest of the NCC decide if they wanted to make the move as well.

bincitysioux
07-23-2006, 02:42 PM
*NDSU and SDSU also found out quite quickly that division I conferences wouldn't even considered a university for acceptance in a conference if they had not declared for division I and started the transition.

Central Arkansas
Kennesaw St
North Florida
Florida Gulf Coast
S Carolina- Upstate
UC-Davis
Presbyterian

Somebody should tell that to these schools.

Bison_Dan
07-23-2006, 02:53 PM
*NDSU and SDSU also found out quite quickly that division I conferences wouldn't even considered a university for acceptance in a conference if they had not declared for division I and started the transition.

Central Arkansas
Kennesaw St
North Florida
Florida Gulf Coast
S Carolina- Upstate
UC-Davis
Presbyterian

Somebody should tell that to these schools. *

I know you're not that stupid bin. Those examples are apples and oranges and you know it. Why is und moving to DI without a conference invite or the money? ::)

TheBisonator
07-23-2006, 10:24 PM

Central Arkansas
Kennesaw St
North Florida
Florida Gulf Coast
S Carolina- Upstate
UC-Davis
Presbyterian

Bin, you know perfectly well why those schools were invited into a conference (a majority of them to the bottom-barrel Atlantic Sun). So don't even act like you don't know.

broke_back_mnt
07-24-2006, 12:57 AM
NDSU did two studies, *We did Carr and we did a market study. *We took a risk on the conference and it was a well placed bet. *When I was asked I said move without the conference. *As it turned out a lot of NDSU folks felt the same way. *

The worst thing we could have done is act like the und president and most of their fans and athletic director. *You want to see low road all you have to do is review what they were saying. *

The best thing we could have done is go when we did. *Its now sarting to look like und will be the big fish in a new DI NCC and be on the shelf for 13 yrs. *Yea, we might play und, SCSU, USD and even Augi if you all move, but they will be road games for you and home games for us. *Just what we need. *

No big dollar either. *Your all bus trips. *Big dollar reserved for big name NATIONAL OPPONENTS. *A DI NCC is regional or local. *

kchats
07-24-2006, 04:27 AM

Central Arkansas
Kennesaw St
North Florida
Florida Gulf Coast
S Carolina- Upstate
UC-Davis
Presbyterian

Bin will any of those conferences be inviting UND to join them. The conferences in the region for NDSU and SDSU are more stable and not desperate enough to add a division II school without making them suffer through the transition as an independent.

SDSUFAN
07-26-2006, 10:09 PM
I would like to respond as a South Dakota native about USD's move to D1. I believe that is what this thread is about. I have read most of the comments so far and as a grad of SDSU, I am biased, but I think you folks in North Dakota can identify to what I have to say. I spent a certain amount of time in North Dakota so have gotten acquainted with North Dakota Politics. What seems apparent to me is that historically UND has been probably a stronger institution in terms of legislature politics. The curriculm at UND is very impressive, but NDSU seems to get their footing often and has pretty much head and shoulders with UND. *In North Dakota, both UND and NDSU are pretty much battling each other in areas other than athletics. *I guess I am saying the competition between NDSU and UND, from twiddly winks to research money is much more intense than it is in South Dakota between SDSU and USD.

USD got a charter to begin their institution from the Dakota Territory legislature in 1862, but they never got a building built or classes started until 1881 or there abouts. Over the years the leadership of USD has always been second fiddle to SDSU. In fact there is a audtorium name Slagle Audtiorum, name after a former president. What is less known is that President Slagle was first president at SDSU and was moved by the Board of Regents from Brookings to Vermillion, because he was a good adminstrator and there was several messes in Vermillion to be straigthen out.
Right now the USD president is Jim Abbott, who ran for governor as Democrat and his chances were never good for winning was also a very sucessful businessman, and I think Gov Janklow felt he was needed in Vermillion. I understand he is not real wild about athletics and hardly a Peggy Miller when it comes to D1.

USD has the law, medicine and other professional majors, but I would bet there are more lawyers and doctors who contribute to the Jackrabbit Club than to the Coyote Club. Why? Because most have their undergrad degrees from SDSU and remain loyal to SDSU. From those who have attended USD, they see the differences in the two institutions.

Lately USD seems to make decisions just to show up those people in Brookings. They never seem to make the decision *that would be best for USD. *Their interest and study to go to D1 has to do with UND to some degree, but its about being left in the dust by SDSU. *No doubt some one from USD did as I did and spent about three hours at a Briggs librairy copy machine copying the Carr Report and the Marketing report. There are reserve copies on file at the SDSU Hilton Briggs libary. Whether either report fits USD situation remains to be seen, but they would be much smarter by spending money on their own study and finding a plan that would fit USD and not SDSU. These two studies are hardly classified information.

You can not believe the bad mouthing and back biting that went on when SDSU announced its move to D1. What is humorous now is the move to D1 is a very serious consideration to be made.

I have some doubts about the move. They have a new AD who seems to be trying very hard to pick up the department after been nearly destroyed by his precessor Kelly Higgins, who did everything but beat his wife when he was the AD. Maybe he did not have one to beat. ;D

The alums at least from my perspective do not have the same care that SDSU Alums have. They have some rich alums like Tom Brokaw and Al Neuharth, founder of USA Today, but will they come forward with major gifts? They are now just adding a full time compliance officer at USD. This now happens after the horse is out of the barn. Sued by two former women coaches which cut into their budget in order to pay damages. There stupidity caused the Board of Regents to adopt a policy that requires all state assisted schools to follow Title IX to the letter. *This action alone gave the Grand Forks Herald the story they printed last Sunday. (Different plans for different institutions, SDSU and NDSU.)

SDSU move was risky, but USD's will be much more RISKY. I wish some one will prove me wrong. Namely the committee at USD that is studying the move. ::)

rabidrabbit
07-26-2006, 11:29 PM
SDSUFans - Spot on!!! Except for the Backbiting statement!!! Bison have PLENTY of that from their "U" brethern!!!

USD has not demonstrated that they have a) the finances b) the interest c) the population, either student or fan-wise to make it happen. There is MUCHO difference between U ND and U SD!

rabidrabbit
07-26-2006, 11:47 PM

Central Arkansas
Kennesaw St
North Florida
Florida Gulf Coast
S Carolina- Upstate
UC-Davis
Presbyterian

Circumstances are VERY DIFFERENT for these schools than for UND.

UCA - Eager, and with a definitive plan approached Southland. UCA, like the _DSU's will improve the Southland, and will rapidly be challenging in that conference. Southland wanted more football playing schools, and they add a regional, dedicated D-2. Not a bad role model for UND.

UC-Davis - Encouraged and invited by the Big West because it is a perfect mesh to the conference. Large, good rep in academics and sports. They've been a force in the GWFC!

Presbyterian's traditional rivals are pretty much in D-I. They're going to the Big South, another football conference, with members in same state, that are searching for a sixth member so get auto-bid eligible.

Kennasaw, N. Florida, FL Gulf Coast, SC Upstate - Invited to A-Sun. The conference was desperate to grow, because older members are set to bail. FL Gulf Coast is basically going D-I because they couldn't get the FL D-2 conference to let them in!!! They've been INDEPENDENT in D-2 for last couple of years!!! Baseball is Gulf Coast's best sport, not basketball.

kchats
07-27-2006, 04:13 AM
Yeah but UND is so much better than NDSU and SDSU they will be offered before making the move too. ;)

sambini
07-27-2006, 03:56 PM
SDSU FAN THANKS FOR THE INSIGHT+++++++++++

DIBISON
09-11-2006, 01:54 PM
According to University of South Dakota athletic director Joel Nielsen, the task force studying the possible move to DI athletics will finalize its report on Nov. 5. After the Nov. 5 meeting, the report will go to USD President Jim Abbott, who will then decide whether the school will make the move.

Any bets on which way USD will go??

IowaBisonToo
09-11-2006, 02:27 PM
Down the toilet??? :o ;D ;)

BisonBacker
09-11-2006, 02:29 PM

He said USD NOT UND ;D ;D ;D

IowaBisonToo
09-11-2006, 02:31 PM

He said USD NOT UND ;D ;D ;D
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :o :o ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

84grad
09-11-2006, 03:53 PM
My bet on USD? *They make the jump to try to keep up with the SU's and UND, but conference affiliation will next to impossible to achieve because of the above mentioned downfalls in their system. *While USD and UND might see themselves as travel partners for a potential conference, I highly doubt that anyone will take the two as a package with the USD weakness. *UND will probably be very hindered by taking on USD in the "buddy system".

RedRiver
09-11-2006, 09:59 PM
NDSU & SDSU are long gone and will soon be entrenched in DI and it seems like the Us want to follow in their footsteps. USD will soon announce their intentions to move to DI athletics and do it at the same time as the other U.

Hammersmith
09-11-2006, 11:31 PM
My bet on USD? *They make the jump to try to keep up with the SU's and UND, but conference affiliation will next to impossible to achieve because of the above mentioned downfalls in their system. *While USD and UND might see themselves as travel partners for a potential conference, I highly doubt that anyone will take the two as a package with the USD weakness. *UND will probably be very hindered by taking on USD in the "buddy system".
I wonder if UND's decision not to move up in 2003 was the best thing that could've happened to SDSU.

SDbison
09-12-2006, 03:18 AM
If USD decides to go DI I hope they will get used to being at the bottom of everything. Their only facility, the Dakota Dump in Vermillion makes the Tin Shed in GF look good. As for funding I don't know where they will get the cash unless Tom Brokaw kicks in some big bucks.

02Bison
09-12-2006, 03:46 AM
If USD decides to go DI I hope they will get used to being at the bottom of everything. *Their only facility, the Dakota Dump in Vermillion makes the Tin Shed in GF look good. *As for funding I don't know where they will get the cash unless Tom Brokaw kicks in some big bucks. *

Who knows...maybe USD will become the "Little Engine that could"....there is no need to bash other schools and act all superior IMHO.

sambini
09-12-2006, 04:11 AM
Well it will be interesting what they will do. SD BISON as a resident of that state do you think they can do it?

Yote_53
09-12-2006, 03:11 PM
I would like to respond as a South Dakota native about USD's move to D1. I believe that is what this thread is about. I have read most of the comments so far and as a grad of SDSU, I am biased, but I think you folks in North Dakota can identify to what I have to say. I spent a certain amount of time in North Dakota so have gotten acquainted with North Dakota Politics. What seems apparent to me is that historically UND has been probably a stronger institution in terms of legislature politics. The curriculm at UND is very impressive, but NDSU seems to get their footing often and has pretty much head and shoulders with UND. *In North Dakota, both UND and NDSU are pretty much battling each other in areas other than athletics. *I guess I am saying the competition between NDSU and UND, from twiddly winks to research money is much more intense than it is in South Dakota between SDSU and USD.

USD got a charter to begin their institution from the Dakota Territory legislature in 1862, but they never got a building built or classes started until 1881 or there abouts. Over the years the leadership of USD has always been second fiddle to SDSU. In fact there is a audtorium name Slagle Audtiorum, name after a former president. What is less known is that President Slagle was first president at SDSU and was moved by the Board of Regents from Brookings to Vermillion, because he was a good adminstrator and there was several messes in Vermillion to be straigthen out.
Right now the USD president is Jim Abbott, who ran for governor as Democrat and his chances were never good for winning was also a very sucessful businessman, and I think Gov Janklow felt he was needed in Vermillion. I understand he is not real wild about athletics and hardly a Peggy Miller when it comes to D1.

USD has the law, medicine and other professional majors, but I would bet there are more lawyers and doctors who contribute to the Jackrabbit Club than to the Coyote Club. Why? Because most have their undergrad degrees from SDSU and remain loyal to SDSU. From those who have attended USD, they see the differences in the two institutions.

Lately USD seems to make decisions just to show up those people in Brookings. They never seem to make the decision *that would be best for USD. *Their interest and study to go to D1 has to do with UND to some degree, but its about being left in the dust by SDSU. *No doubt some one from USD did as I did and spent about three hours at a Briggs librairy copy machine copying the Carr Report and the Marketing report. There are reserve copies on file at the SDSU Hilton Briggs libary. Whether either report fits USD situation remains to be seen, but they would be much smarter by spending money on their own study and finding a plan that would fit USD and not SDSU. These two studies are hardly classified information.

You can not believe the bad mouthing and back biting that went on when SDSU announced its move to D1. What is humorous now is the move to D1 is a very serious consideration to be made.

I have some doubts about the move. They have a new AD who seems to be trying very hard to pick up the department after been nearly destroyed by his precessor Kelly Higgins, who did everything but beat his wife when he was the AD. Maybe he did not have one to beat. ;D

The alums at least from my perspective do not have the same care that SDSU Alums have. They have some rich alums like Tom Brokaw and Al Neuharth, founder of USA Today, but will they come forward with major gifts? They are now just adding a full time compliance officer at USD. This now happens after the horse is out of the barn. Sued by two former women coaches which cut into their budget in order to pay damages. There stupidity caused the Board of Regents to adopt a policy that requires all state assisted schools to follow Title IX to the letter. *This action alone gave the Grand Forks Herald the story they printed last Sunday. (Different plans for different institutions, SDSU and NDSU.)

SDSU move was risky, but USD's will be much more RISKY. I wish some one will prove me wrong. Namely the committee at USD that is studying the move. ::)

If you believe this Bison fans then you probably also believed the Iraqi Minister of Information. Take anything you here coming out of a bunny with a grain of salt. Basically, it is like we USD folks believing everything that comes out of Sioux fans mouth about NDSU.

One thing about UND going D1. I know there is not too much love lost between you, but I would much rather hitch my wagon to them than that school in Brookings. If you look at SDSU they have nothing but a history of mediocrity. I, for one, believe USD will do fine competing at the next level, and am glad to have UND available as a "partner" in the move. Oh, it is going to happen, the committee is just a formality at this point. And before the naysayers come out, USD has been gearing up for this since you folks up at NDSU put the writing on the wall, we always knew it would happen eventually.

Bison_Dan
09-12-2006, 03:37 PM

If you believe this Bison fans then you probably also believed the Iraqi Minister of Information. *Take anything you here coming out of a bunny with a grain of salt. *Basically, it is like we USD folks believing everything that comes out of Sioux fans mouth about NDSU. *

One thing about UND going D1. *I know there is not too much love lost between you, but I would much rather hitch my wagon to them than that school in Brookings. *If you look at SDSU they have nothing but a history of mediocrity. *I, for one, believe USD will do fine competing at the next level, and am glad to have UND available as a "partner" in the move. *Oh, it is going to happen, the committee is just a formality at this point. *And before the naysayers come out, USD has been gearing up for this since you folks up at NDSU put the writing on the wall, we always knew it would happen eventually.

If you knew it why didn't you join NDSU & SDSU in moving in 2004? As far as SDSU vs USD - I think I can speak for alot of Bison fans that I'll take a foward looking university and athletic dept. over the arrogance of the u's (FOLLOWERS). ;D ;D

BisonBacker
09-12-2006, 03:48 PM
Haven't you all heard the news! UND and USD are going to become members of the Central Division of the NFL. Lookout Vikings and Packers the yotes and the whioux are moving in. According to their fans a super bowl victory is in the offing in the first year of full conference play. I wonder if DA Bears will ever be able to compete again or if they will just fold up and disband the franchise after this news! ;D ;D ;D

IowaBisonToo
09-12-2006, 04:19 PM
Oh, I believe that USD will go eventually. Is it to keep up the the 'SUs? Sure. Same as UND. I think I'd pick a better university to be partners with than that one up to the north. However, they don't have much of a choice. They're like the last kid to be picked on the playground - better to take them than have nobody.

Both the Us made their beds and are now going to worry about a multitude of things - especially money. I refuse to believe that things have changed significantly from the time NDSU, SDSU and UNC declared their intentions to move and tried to get the rest of the conference (or at least a majority of them) to come up too. Not sure if there would have been a good conference affiliation for all involved if they had (which is probably better for the 'SUs) but I don't want to keep hearing excuses as to why they waited.

Yote_53
09-12-2006, 04:46 PM
As has been stated in this very thread already. USD voted agaionst UND and with NDSU on the proposed move by the NCC as a whole to D1. USD was content in D2 and was excited to be a part of the best conference in D2, but the landscape has changed. The schools that we once competed with have or are moving on to D1. So we are going to be the last to move, or are we UNO, etc. Maybe we'll just be the second wave to move. Really, what does it matter the order? I could easily say that NDSU was trying to keep up with UNC. I don't believe it's true, but one could say it. So they went first, how's that working out for them? I would say the move has gone better for NDSU (Big Sky invite notwithstanding).

Like I said, not worried about the move. Already know we can compete athletically, well at least we could whip the Jacks week in and week out. UND didn't do too bad last week, they represented well, and we crushed them last we met. Heck, right before the Bison went D1 I remember attending a game at the Dome where it took OT for the Bison to dispatch one sorry Coyote team.

So, whatever, just my message was don't always believe the Jack fans, most of that post was either incorrect or just made up wishful thinking of Jack fan...but he wasn't biased as he stated in the outset.

SDbison
09-12-2006, 05:33 PM
As has been stated in this very thread already. *USD voted agaionst UND and with NDSU on the proposed move by the NCC as a whole to D1. *USD was content in D2 and was excited to be a part of the best conference in D2, but the landscape has changed. *The schools that we once competed with have or are moving on to D1. *So we are going to be the last to move, or are we UNO, etc. *Maybe we'll just be the second wave to move. *Really, what does it matter the order? *I could easily say that NDSU was trying to keep up with UNC. *I don't believe it's true, but one could say it. *So they went first, how's that working out for them? *I would say the move has gone better for NDSU (Big Sky invite notwithstanding).

Like I said, not worried about the move. *Already know we can compete athletically, well at least we could whip the Jacks week in and week out. *UND didn't do too bad last week, they represented well, and we crushed them last we met. *Heck, right before the Bison went D1 I remember attending a game at the Dome where it took OT for the Bison to dispatch one sorry Coyote team.

So, whatever, just my message was don't always believe the Jack fans, most of that post was either incorrect or just made up wishful thinking of Jack fan...but he wasn't biased as he stated in the outset.
What a bunch of crap, USD is not a bit prepared to move to DI. Please cite your references to all the preparation done by USD over the past several years. USD is a follower like UND and is just as bad off, if not worse, financially. Unlike UND, the yotes don't have very good facilities and lack the 10 plus years of success like UND football.
Gee, how many DI-AA or DI teams have the yotes played lately? Kind of pompous to believe you can "already compete athletically", let alone "whip the Jacks week in and week out".
As for the USD football game against NDSU in Vermillian about 4 years ago I believe NDSU lost in 3 or 4 OT's. That was one of the worst years for Bison football in about 40 years. Yeah, USD is a powerhouse. If you join the GWFC you can fight SUU for bottom of the conference honors year in and year out. Just like the Big Sky needs a UNC, the GWFC needs a USD.

Bison_Dan
09-12-2006, 05:50 PM
As has been stated in this very thread already. *USD voted agaionst UND and with NDSU on the proposed move by the NCC as a whole to D1. *USD was content in D2 and was excited to be a part of the best conference in D2, but the landscape has changed. *The schools that we once competed with have or are moving on to D1. *So we are going to be the last to move, or are we UNO, etc. *Maybe we'll just be the second wave to move. *Really, what does it matter the order? *I could easily say that NDSU was trying to keep up with UNC. *I don't believe it's true, but one could say it. *So they went first, how's that working out for them? *I would say the move has gone better for NDSU (Big Sky invite notwithstanding).

Like I said, not worried about the move. *Already know we can compete athletically, well at least we could whip the Jacks week in and week out. *UND didn't do too bad last week, they represented well, and we crushed them last we met. *Heck, right before the Bison went D1 I remember attending a game at the Dome where it took OT for the Bison to dispatch one sorry Coyote team.

What a bunch of crap, USD is not a bit prepared to move to DI. *Please cite your references to all the preparation done by USD over the past several years. *USD is a follower like UND and is just as bad off, if not worse, financially. *Unlike UND, the yotes don't have very good facilities and lack the 10 plus years of success like UND football. *
Gee, how many DI-AA or DI teams have the yotes played lately? *Kind of pompous to believe you can "already compete athletically", let alone "whip the Jacks week in and week out".
As for the USD football game against NDSU in Vermillian about 4 years ago I believe NDSU lost in 3 or 4 OT's. *That was one of the worst years for Bison football in about 40 years. *Yeah, USD is a powerhouse. *If you join the GWFC you can fight SUU for bottom of the conference honors year in and year out. *Just like the Big Sky needs a UNC, the GWFC needs a USD. *

Just like und they look at one or two sports and think they can compete in D1 right away! und and usd have never been that good across the board in all their sports. Most of their sports were never competitive in dii let alone DI. ;)

roadwarrior
09-12-2006, 05:50 PM
I don't understand all of the bashing because another school might make the move to D-I. Just because they did not see what was coming four years ago? They are free to choose to do what they want. I just hope they are ready to weather the five years of hell that the NCAA makes you go through to get to the other division. NDSU and SDSU can see the light at the end of tunnel and USD and UND are just rounding the bend in the road just about to enter that tunnel of darkness and unknown. If the schools are making their decision just to keep up with some other schools, they might be headed towards a very bumpy road in D-I.

Yote_53
09-12-2006, 06:26 PM
Let's see. We pretty much laid the wood to botht he SU's in mes's bball on a consistent basiI'm also pretty confident we wouldn't get embarassed by a D3 school either. USD has always had quality track and cross country teams, but I'll stick to the "revenue generating sports". Football, coming on strong, whipped UND and UNO last season. Not bad, especially considering UND just took the 1aa runner-up on their home turf. I think our track record in basketball speaks for itself.

So is 1aa a diffferent level? You bet, and we have a long way to go. But you don't have to go around ripping another school because they intend to move up, unless you're worried, increased competition maybe? If we are so dang bad then it shouldn't matter to you one bit. Go to the MidCon, we'll wander around for 10 years until the NCAA finally comes around and puts the death penalty to our athletic program just to put us out of our misery.

Upgrades. Dome renovation, not the same place you Bison remember. Sure beats that cow pasture called Coughlin that SDSU borrows from Brookings High School every couple weeks. Coyote Athletic Fund, raising more and more money for USD athletics. Campus renovations, you do know that USD is increasing enrollment. In fact it is the fastest growing school in South Dakota ( yes, outspacing SDSU).

I don't get all the bashing either.

IowaBisonToo
09-12-2006, 06:51 PM
You know, I was actually going to defend the 'Yotes before 53 got to it. Athletically, USD is on track (no pun intended). They've had some decent bball teams in the past (I remember they had a hell of a mens team not that long ago). Meierkort has the football team looking good. I think they could compete. They have some respectable teams. Are they going to be a dominating school? Hard to say but probably not.

The thing I see, though, is the financial side of things. They're in a tiny little town so the following isn't there like in Fargo, Brookings and even GF for that matter. Their facilities need some work. I don't see alumni coming through like they have in other places. I have no problem with USD coming up to DI athletically. Financially, speaking, is another story though. :(

BisonBacker
09-12-2006, 06:56 PM
You know, I was actually going to defend the 'Yotes before 53 got to it. *Athletically, USD is on track (no pun intended). *They've had some decent bball teams in the past (I remember they had a hell of a mens team not that long ago). *Meierkort has the football team looking good. *I think they could compete. *They have some respectable teams. *Are they going to be a dominating school? *Hard to say but probably not.

The thing I see, though, is the financial side of things. *They're in a tiny little town so the following isn't there like in Fargo, Brookings and even GF for that matter. *Their facilities need some work. *I don't see alumni coming through like they have in other places. *I have no problem with USD coming up to DI athletically. Financially, speaking, is another story though. :(

Hey if the whioux can do it why can't USD?

IowaBisonToo
09-12-2006, 06:58 PM
You know, I was actually going to defend the 'Yotes before 53 got to it. *Athletically, USD is on track (no pun intended). *They've had some decent bball teams in the past (I remember they had a hell of a mens team not that long ago). *Meierkort has the football team looking good. *I think they could compete. *They have some respectable teams. *Are they going to be a dominating school? *Hard to say but probably not.

The thing I see, though, is the financial side of things. *They're in a tiny little town so the following isn't there like in Fargo, Brookings and even GF for that matter. *Their facilities need some work. *I don't see alumni coming through like they have in other places. *I have no problem with USD coming up to DI athletically. *Financially, speaking, is another story though. :(

Hey if the whioux can do it why can't USD? *
I thought we were talking USD here. I think there are enough threads on this board that address the inadequecies of UNDs financial situation. ;) :-[

Yote_53
09-12-2006, 07:06 PM

The thing I see, though, is the financial side of things. *They're in a tiny little town so the following isn't there like in Fargo, Brookings and even GF for that matter. *Their facilities need some work. *I don't see alumni coming through like they have in other places. *I have no problem with USD coming up to DI athletically. *Financially, speaking, is another story though. :(

Hey, you can defend them all you want. Notice I am not here bashing the Bison. I think you guys made the right move all along. As for Vermillion. Yes, the town is small, however there is also NO competition for the entertainment dollar. There are sizble cities in all directions between Sioux City, Sioux Falls, and Yankton. I don't see it as as big of an issue as you do. There are plenty of 1aa and even 1a schools located in small communities. I can legitimately argue with you about attendance figures when compared to both UND and SDSU, just look them up and you'll see USD is on par with them. NDSU is obviously different with the barn you guys play in. I don't know the thread but the research was already done on D2football.com showing the SD and ND schools their attendance and a comparison with current D1aa schools. We fit in just fine. They are also making great strides on the fundraising side. It's not built in a day. NDSU was not built in a day. Check the comparison of USD's athletic budget with that of the SU's when the SU's FIRST decided to make the move to D1. You'll see they are very close.

BisonBacker
09-12-2006, 07:55 PM

Hey, you can defend them all you want. *Notice I am not here bashing the Bison. *I think you guys made the right move all along. *As for Vermillion. *Yes, the town is small, however there is also NO competition for the entertainment dollar. *There are sizble cities in all directions between Sioux City, Sioux Falls, and Yankton. *I don't see it as as big of an issue as you do. *There are plenty of 1aa and even 1a schools located in small communities. *I can legitimately argue with you about attendance figures when compared to both UND and SDSU, just look them up and you'll see USD is on par with them. *NDSU is obviously different with the barn you guys play in. *I don't know the thread but the research was already done on D2football.com showing the SD and ND schools their attendance and a comparison with current D1aa schools. *We fit in just fine. *They are also making great strides on the fundraising side. *It's not built in a day. *NDSU was not built in a day. *Check the comparison of USD's athletic budget with that of the SU's when the SU's FIRST decided to make the move to D1. *You'll see they are very close. *

You know I have to say honestly that I hope you guys can make the move. I wouldn't even mind seeing you in a conference with NDSU and SDSU. I draw the line there however and would really like to see UND get into the BSC or any conference as long as its not the same one as we are in. I am tired of the Backstabbing, Backbiting ect ect ect from them. Others have pointed out many times the reasons so I won't go into that again. My only concern would be how it affects NDSU from a couple of points.
1. Financiall (only referring to the state of ND here) if und somehow manages to screw NDSU in funding inequity even further then they already to and is able to use that inequity to fund or partially fund the move.
2. The upper midwest may have the DI schools eventually other then just NDSU and SDSU but what about the product on the field and the kids we would be compteting for? Right now with just NDSU and SDSU in the mix going after the limited amount of DI talent will only get tougher. I believe that NDSU with the rich football tradition will do just fine and I don't care where the others have to go to find the talent but it is somthing to consider.

If USD and UND get into a conference together more power to you. I know I am not alone when I say that it would be better for the land grants to be partnered and in a different conference then und and usd. If they want to schedule games at that point even though I don't care to see the whioux ever again in the FFD I am also a realist and know its eventually going to happen. Hopefully it will be as two teams from two different conferences.

BisonBacker
09-12-2006, 07:57 PM
I also appreciate the non NDSU bashing yote53 and really do wish you and USD the best of luck no matter what happens.

Yote_53
09-12-2006, 08:47 PM
The SD schools have the same problem when it comes to state funds. Of course we fight like kids. I'm sure UofI and ISU fight too. We'll probably all end up in the same conference ad all be better off for it. You just can't kill 100 years and pretend it didn't happen.

There is plenty of talent in the upper midwest. Back in the 80's D2 allowed over 50 scholarships, 1aa is 63, not that far off. Best part is back in those days the Bison and the Coyotes ruled the land.

Side note:

New here but can't figure out why you guys are not very hard on SDSU. They are your "rivals" after all. They are abysmal this season and should be taking it from all sides, yet you show them sympathy. They sure are taking it from the USD crowd because they are our rivals, I'll admit it, and always will be. From the outside looking in, they are not your rivals, UND is, and sorry to say you two need and miss each other.

IowaBisonToo
09-12-2006, 08:52 PM
The SD schools have the same problem when it comes to state funds. *Of course we fight like kids. *I'm sure UofI and ISU fight too. *We'll probably all end up in the same conference ad all be better off for it. *You just can't kill 100 years and pretend it didn't happen. *

There is plenty of talent in the upper midwest. *Back in the 80's D2 allowed over 50 scholarships, 1aa is 63, not that far off. *Best part is back in those days the Bison and the Coyotes ruled the land. *

Side note:

New here but can't figure out why you guys are not very hard on SDSU. *They are your "rivals" after all. * They are abysmal this season and should be taking it from all sides, yet you show them sympathy. *They sure are taking it from the USD crowd because they are our rivals, I'll admit it, and always will be. *From the outside looking in, they are not your rivals, UND is, and sorry to say you two need and miss each other.
It probably has something to do with the fact that they stuck by our sides when we moved as opposed to UND who tried as hard as they could to kill us athletically speaking. There couldn't have been a happier group of people than many UND fans had NDSU (and SDSU for that matter) failed in their attempt to go DI.

BisonBacker
09-12-2006, 09:36 PM
The SD schools have the same problem when it comes to state funds. *Of course we fight like kids. *I'm sure UofI and ISU fight too. *We'll probably all end up in the same conference ad all be better off for it. *You just can't kill 100 years and pretend it didn't happen. *

There is plenty of talent in the upper midwest. *Back in the 80's D2 allowed over 50 scholarships, 1aa is 63, not that far off. *Best part is back in those days the Bison and the Coyotes ruled the land. *

Side note:

New here but can't figure out why you guys are not very hard on SDSU. *They are your "rivals" after all. * They are abysmal this season and should be taking it from all sides, yet you show them sympathy. *They sure are taking it from the USD crowd because they are our rivals, I'll admit it, and always will be. *From the outside looking in, they are not your rivals, UND is, and sorry to say you two need and miss each other.
Go back and look at the threads regarding our games last year and you will see the smack. Is it the same as it was with the whioux? Absolutely not but as has been pointed out here you can have a rivalry without the hate and that is what NDSU and SDSU have enjoyed. I also agree with IowaBisonToo that having made the move with us there is a certain partnership that we have devleoped and therefore we don't pile on when they are down like their football team is right now, its the equivalent to a late hit in football and too easy. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Yote_53
09-12-2006, 09:47 PM
Got it. *Respected rival as opposed to hated. Honestly, that is how we view the Sioux down here. Sorry about that.

carny
09-12-2006, 10:19 PM
Let's see. *We pretty much laid the wood to botht he SU's in mes's bball on a consistent basis

Upgrades. *Dome renovation, not the same place you Bison remember. *Sure beats that cow pasture called Coughlin that SDSU borrows from Brookings High School every couple weeks. *Coyote Athletic Fund, raising more and more money for USD athletics. *Campus renovations, you do know that USD is increasing enrollment. *In fact it is the fastest growing school in South Dakota ( yes, outspacing SDSU). *

I don't get all the bashing either. *

Talk about wishful thinking and taking a post with a grain of salt. *Here are some facts.

MBB over the last ten years of SDSU/USD series - SDSU won 12 and lost 7 versus USD. *Over the last five years they played SDSU won 7 and lost 4 versus USD. *Sounds like USD was really laying the wood to SDSU on a consistent basis.

Football - over the last 10 years of the series - SDSU won 8 and lost 2. *Over the last five years of the series SDSU won 4 and lost 1. *SDSU even with their consistent 7-4 and 6-5 seasons consistently beat USD. * Sure SDSU currently has some issues with its football program and some things need to be changed but there is no way that the USD beats SDSU week in week out.

Dakota Dome upgrades - new scoreboard not even owned by USD - Daktronics gets the ad revenue. *SDSU has better scoreboard that is owned by the university. *Dakota dome only seats 10,000. *Sure Coughlin Alumni could use some improvements - permanent seating on the east side, expanded concessions, expanded restrooms, *possibly field turf but at least SDSU can upgrade the stadium. *Dakota Dome is a small facility that cannot be changed dramatically. *Myself *- I prefer outdoor football at Coughlin over the Dakota dome any day of the week.

Fastest growing university - sure USD is growing faster percentage wise but SDSU has over 3,000 more students. *As far as fundraising - you have got to be kidding me. *USD's budget is approximately half of SDSU's athletic budget for the 2006-2007 year. *Your fundraisng has a long way to go - especially if USD goes DI.

Sure SDSU has some things that need to be considered in their athletic department. *I believe that SDSU will have a new football coach for the 2007 season - hopefully they will make a good hire. *As far as men's basketball - 2006-07 season probably have an under .500 record considering their schedule but SDSU's Mid-Con invite should give the program a huge boost - make a major difference in recruiting. *Nagy is a good coach and expect SDSU to be contending for Midcon titles in a few years.

Flintstone
09-12-2006, 10:39 PM
Carny, you should know better than to use facts as a basis for an argument like this ;)

89rabbit
09-12-2006, 10:39 PM

One thing about UND going D1. *I know there is not too much love lost between you, but I would much rather hitch my wagon to them than that school in Brookings. *If you look at SDSU they have nothing but a history of mediocrity. *I, for one, believe USD will do fine competing at the next level, and am glad to have UND available as a "partner" in the move. *Oh, it is going to happen, the committee is just a formality at this point. *And before the naysayers come out, USD has been gearing up for this since you folks up at NDSU put the writing on the wall, we always knew it would happen eventually.

Huh? :-? ::)

NCAA D-II National Championships

NDSU - 17
SDSU - 8
UND - 4
USD - 2

Go State! :)

89rabbit
09-12-2006, 11:23 PM
I wanted to add to Carney's post . . .

You mean like this line . *. *. *

*Already know we can compete athletically, well at least we could whip the Jacks week in and week out. *

We owned you before we left D-II. *Talk about made up wishful thinking. *::)

Football - 1990 - present - Head to Head wins

SDSU - 14
USD -3

Men's Basketball - Nagy Era (a little better then football but SDSU still leads) - Head to Head

SDSU - 12
USD - 9

Women's Basketball - Johnson Era - Head to Head

SDSU - 8
USD - 2

Go State! *:)

dakotadan
09-13-2006, 12:08 AM

NDSU - 17
UND - 11
SDSU - 8
UND - 4
USD - 2

;)

Honest question here. What were all of SDSU and USD's championships in and what years were they?

Bisonguy
09-13-2006, 12:13 AM
NDSU-20
NDSU - 17
UND - 11
SDSU - 8
UND - 4
USD - 2

;)

Honest question here. What were all of SDSU and USD's championships in and what years were they?

Corrected, if we're counting national championships before the formation of the NCAA divisions in 1973. :)

bincitysioux
09-13-2006, 02:41 AM

Because it is a University Presidentally mandated rivalry. It is a rivalry of convenience. Not one born of substance.

BisonBacker
09-13-2006, 03:08 AM

Because it is a University Presidentally mandated rivalry. *It is a rivalry of convenience. *Not one born of substance.

Where does that come from? Is it because its a healthy rivalry not based on complete and utter hate bin? Is a rivalry only a rivalry if the fans completely hate each other? Have you been to an NDSU/SDSU game since the marker trophy was initiated? If you haven't been to a game I don't think your qualified to comment on what the rivalry is or isn't. I don't think the players consider it a contrived rivalry. Or is it just a jealousy thing that SDSU is our rival and you guys are still DII wanting to go DI but have $$$$ issues and no conference to go into?

Hammersmith
09-13-2006, 03:29 AM
Don't know the years, but here are the sports:

SDSU: 8
M Basketball: 1
W Basketball: 1
M Cross-Country: 5
W Cross-Country: 1

USD: 2
M Basketball: 1
M Cross-Country: 1

89rabbit
09-13-2006, 03:30 AM
NDSU-20
NDSU - 17
UND - 11
SDSU - 8
UND - 4
USD - 2

;)

Corrected, if we're counting national championships before the formation of the NCAA divisions in 1973. *:)

Just going with what the NCAA says:

http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/champs_listing2.html

NDSU - 17
SDSU - 8
UND - 4
USD - 2

89rabbit
09-13-2006, 04:32 AM
Don't know the years, but here are the sports:

SDSU: 8
*M Basketball: 1
*W Basketball: 1
*M Cross-Country: 5
*W Cross-Country: 1

USD: 2
*M Basketball: 1
*M Cross-Country: 1

I can't remember the exact years but I do remember the decades that each school's championships where won in:

SDSU

1960's - 1
1970's - 1
1980's - 3
1990's - 2
2000's - 1

USD

1950's - 1
1990's - 1

Yote_53
09-13-2006, 03:48 PM
Last SDSU Conference Championship-Football? Ok, that's what I thought.

I won't sugarcoat it, USD football was mediocre at best in the '90s. We had one good year in '95 where we went 8-3 and lost 7-0 (I believe) to the Bison in the FargoDome. That was also the year we waxed UND 35-0 in the Dome to take home Sitting Bull. Now that was a travelling trophy. In the 70s and 80s USD won NCC titles and went to the playoffs numerous times, losing in the 86 title game in football. Now USD football is again resurgent. Basketball has had a good history with multiple Elite 8 appearances throughoutthe 90s and always in contention for a conference title.

Enough history. Today is what counts.

As far as USD's budget. I would hope State's budget is higher this year, you are D1, aren't you? Of course we would have to build our budget up, just like both the SU's did. Not questioning that.

carny
09-13-2006, 09:38 PM
Last SDSU Conference Championship-Football? *Ok, that's what I thought.

I won't sugarcoat it, USD football was mediocre at best in the '90s. *We had one good year in '95 where we went 8-3 and lost 7-0 (I believe) to the Bison in the FargoDome. *That was also the year we waxed UND 35-0 in the Dome to take home Sitting Bull. *Now that was a travelling trophy. *In the 70s and 80s USD won NCC titles and went to the playoffs numerous times, losing in the 86 title game in football. *Now USD football is again resurgent. *Basketball has had a good history with multiple Elite 8 appearances throughoutthe 90s and always in contention for a conference title. *

Enough history. *Today is what counts. *

As far as USD's budget. *I would hope State's budget is higher this year, you are D1, aren't you? *Of course we would have to build our budget up, just like both the SU's did. *Not questioning that.

Still no facts - your only argument is that USD improving. Good luck with that.

89rabbit
09-13-2006, 11:50 PM
*Today is what counts. *

You are right, today you are D-II and the SUs are D-I and that is a fact.

ALPHAMALE
09-14-2006, 12:11 AM
You guys are being way to hard on the yotes. As an SDSU fan I can hardly wait to renew the rivalry against the yotes, especially in baseball. Those were some great series. Oh, thats right, USD cant afford a baseball team anymore, I remember. Oh, that was a result of that title IX suit they had against them a couple of years ago, the one for underfunding womens sports, how could I forget? I can see now how they should be able to go D-I, with that fantastic record of funding their sports. In their defense, I guess they did just purchase a new roof for the dome (State tabacoo money handout they had to beg for) and those new scoreboards (they couldnt afford them so they got Dak to put them in as long as Dak gets all the advertising money). Yep, things sound fantastic for a D-I move in vermillion these days, especially with that 60-40 ratio of girls that you will have to fund your mens football scholarships to. I guess it shouldnt be a big deal to spend more than any of the other dakota schools for the same number of scholarships in football though, right? ::) :P

Just for some entertainment, heres a nice article the volonte just put out about USDs D-I move.... sounds like the support couldnt be higher in verm.

http://www.volanteonline.com/media/storage/paper468/news/2006/09/13/Opinion/Division.One.Daydreams.Compromise.Priorities-2269736.shtml?norewrite200609132011&sourcedomain=w ww.volanteonline.com

89rabbit
09-14-2006, 12:46 AM
This is a great quote from the story from the USD school paper:

http://media.www.volanteonline.com/media/storage/paper468/news/2006/09/13/Opinion/Division.One.Daydreams.Compromise.Priorities-2269736.shtml?sourcedomain=www.volanteonline.com&M IIHost=media.collegepublisher.com

. *. *. "USD would make a far better D-III team than D-I". *. *. *

Ouch! *:o ;D

rabidrabbit
09-14-2006, 03:18 AM
USD is goiing to make WHATEVER decision they are going to make. Several clear points in the USD student paper tho to emphasize.

Second lowest athletic funding in the NCC.
60% female to 40% male ratio
Is $$ going to be siphoned from education & classes to fund athletics?

This Bunny's take is that USD is in a significantly DEEP (hear the echos?) hole to go forward into D-I.

Their decision, D-I, II or III. but glad State's already up, and joining the Mid-Con with our regional rival the Bovines (smile).

BisonBacker
09-14-2006, 03:23 AM
USD is goiing to make WHATEVER decision they are going to make. *Several clear points in the USD student paper tho to emphasize. *

Second lowest athletic funding in the NCC.
60% female to 40% male ratio
Is $$ going to be siphoned from education & classes to fund athletics?

This Bunny's take is that USD is in a significantly DEEP (hear the echos?) hole to go forward into D-I. *

Their decision, D-I, II or III. *but glad State's already up, and joining the Mid-Con with our regional rival the Bovines (smile).
So is UND and they are still planning the move, maybe they have some secretive funding that we don't know about? Wait that sounds dam familiar, oh yes Kuppys words ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

SDbison
09-14-2006, 03:42 AM
USD will have to more than double their current athletic budget of 4 million to remain competitive. Where will they get that kind of cash? If not they will be the cellar of the independent leagues for years and bottom of the GWFC if they are admitted. This jump on the bandwagon approach to going DI has to end.
I say go for it USD, maybe you should convince Augi to go DI too. While you are at it you can have Morningside use your same decision making tools and they will reconsider their drop to NAIA and go DI also.

BisonMav
09-14-2006, 02:46 PM
NDSU-20
NDSU - 17
UND - 11
SDSU - 8
UND - 4
USD - 2

;)

Corrected, if we're counting national championships before the formation of the NCAA divisions in 1973. *:)

Just going with what the NCAA says:

http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/champs_listing2.html

NDSU - 17
SDSU - 8
UND - 4
USD - 2

NDSU 20 Championships, 17 under the NCAA, plus 3 football championships were by the Polls in the 1960's. Total of 20.

Yote_53
09-14-2006, 03:53 PM
I like how you State folks take an article from the OPINION section of the paper and lay it out as fact. I bet there was never an opinion expressed on the SDSU campus that doubted the bunnies move up to D1 or a view expressed against it.

I also like how you totally misrepresent the Title IX thing. The suit was about USD canning two completely inept female AD employees.

You have one fact straight, USD has a lot of ladies that go to school here, but, what are their choices, I mean, they certainly wouldn't want to go to school to learn how to milk a bull...errrr...cow.

ALPHAMALE
09-14-2006, 04:10 PM
Maybe your not good at math... I'll help you out, USD has 60 PERCENT Women, SDSU has more TOTAL WOMEN, because for some odd reason SDSU has enough students to be the equivalent of USD and Northern combined. So just to clarify, more women, and men for that matter choose SDSU, USD out of its smaller enrollement though has larger percent or portion of women. I guess they don't teach math so well at the "harvard on the prarie" LOL. I guess its not hard to tell that they don't do a whole lot of counting the numbers from the opinion on D-I of most yote fans about how they can fund a move up though.

Yeah, I think you're the one misrepresenting the Title IX suit. They sued under the idea that USD wasn't equally funding athletics, and they were proved right. If USD had been funding them, why did they lose the case? Why, all of a sudden did the board of regents clamp down on all the institutions? Why was it again that USD had to drop baseball? Hmmmm, I wonder why that could be....... what does logic tell you.

IowaBisonToo
09-14-2006, 04:22 PM
I say go for it USD, maybe you should convince Augi to go DI too.
Yeah, they could get dakota to help them conceive a plan to merge. :o ;D

ALPHAMALE
09-14-2006, 04:48 PM
Just a quick question for yote fans. Now that you are moving D-I, is Abbot going to drop the "harvard on the prarie", since your admin is being hypocritical on their not moving up for academic reasons crap? Maybe he could go with "Ohio State of the Dakotas" or something like that? ;D

Yote_53
09-14-2006, 06:58 PM
60% still means better odds. Ohhh, but all you State boys have hot girlfriends, right.

Anyways, back to the field where it counts. Sooo, have those Eagles from LaCrosse gotten off your boys yet? D3, seriously, D3!!! Well, another Saturday is just around the corner and here comes a PO'd UNI Panther team. Looks like yet another beatdown is about to be laid on the Jacks. Oh well, there's always women's basketball season, right? Have fun Saturday, don't forget to bring your cowbells.

IowaBisonToo
09-14-2006, 08:19 PM
Seems as if this thread should be taken over to the USD or SDSU smack section. :-? :-? :-? Oh wait, we can't do that. That last post is funny smack against the Bunnies, Yote 53. :D

mikelsch
09-14-2006, 09:51 PM
60% still means better odds. *Ohhh, but all you State boys have hot girlfriends, right.

Anyways, back to the field where it counts. *Sooo, have those Eagles from LaCrosse gotten off your boys yet? *D3, seriously, D3!!! Well, another Saturday is just around the corner and here comes a PO'd UNI Panther team. *Looks like yet another beatdown is about to be laid on the Jacks. *Oh well, there's always women's basketball season, right? *Have fun Saturday, don't forget to bring your cowbells.

The Mid-Con should adopt a no artificial noisemaker policy like the one the SEC just adopted. Maybe the Mid-Con already has one...anybody know?

broke_back_mnt
09-14-2006, 10:33 PM
This is probably worthy of a thread of its own, but SDSU is in the drivers seat for the UNI game, especially if UNI is as bad as insinuated elsewhere on these boards. *Even CapnCat claims they overlooked their DII matchup. *If they intend to get by SDSU he better be right. *Im not sure what the explanation will be if the Jacks knock them off, probably something like not a conference game?

I expect a good matchup. *Both teams have a lot to prove to themselves. But, I digress....

About USD? *I dont expect them to be any better in D1 then they were in DII. *Unless something changes for them they will probably carry far fewer than the allowed 63. *Look at SUU for a program model of a D1 USD. *

I dont care if they move or not. *I think the writing on the wall is NDSU/SDSU to the Gateway and then the MVC. *The other 2 or 3 NCC teams will replace us in the GWFC and the Mid Con.

ALPHAMALE
09-15-2006, 12:22 AM
60% still means better odds. Ohhh, but all you State boys have hot girlfriends, right.

Anyways, back to the field where it counts. Sooo, have those Eagles from LaCrosse gotten off your boys yet? D3, seriously, D3!!! Well, another Saturday is just around the corner and here comes a PO'd UNI Panther team. Looks like yet another beatdown is about to be laid on the Jacks. Oh well, there's always women's basketball season, right? Have fun Saturday, don't forget to bring your cowbells.

Not that SDSU should have lost that game, but lets remembe the last two times the yotes played Lacrosse, how did you do? 1-1? How much did you win by with that resurgent coyote team that went 9-2? 1 point? Man, memories can get really hazy from two years ago can't they? I mean, the mighty yotes would never lose to a D-III school?

Before you smack anymore about lacrosse, remember that you're the ones who took them off the schedule in favor of crookston, and whatever peru state and william penn are.

Yote_53
09-18-2006, 02:51 PM
Before you smack anymore about lacrosse, remember that you're the ones who took them off the schedule in favor of crookston, and whatever peru state and william penn are.

You tell me, they are on the SDSU schedule this year.

BisonBacker
09-18-2006, 03:17 PM
Who gives a rip anyway, if your going to move up why is it in comparison to the State U's? Is everything you guys do always have to involve the XDSU's? Why not make the move because its what's right for you guys and not try to make your point by slamming the State U's? UND is the same way, they for the most part do everything in comparison to NDSU which is why so many Bison fans are laughing at thier proposed move. Has nothing to do with whats right or wrong for them but everything to do with trying to one up or keep up with NDSU. I wish you both well in your move but don't get on the XDSU's about your problems. We have moved on I suggest you do the same. I would think there are better things you could be doing such as trying to find ways to help your university try to fund the proposed move :-/

SDbison
09-18-2006, 05:31 PM
Who gives a rip anyway, if your going to move up why is it in comparison to the State U's? *Is everything you guys do always have to involve the XDSU's? *Why not make the move because its what's right for you guys and not try to make your point by slamming the State U's? *UND is the same way, they for the most part do everything in comparison to NDSU which is why so many Bison fans are laughing at thier proposed move. *Has nothing to do with whats right or wrong for them but everything to do with trying to one up or keep up with NDSU. *I wish you both well in your move but don't get on the XDSU's about your problems. *We have moved on I suggest you do the same. *I would think there are better things you could be doing such as trying to find ways to help your university try to fund the proposed move *:-/
Well said BisonBacker!

bincitysioux
10-18-2006, 01:22 AM
Over on D2football.com, there is a thread with a copy of an e-mail sent by USD to its students. It is a Q & A survey regarding a DI move. It asks the obvious questions like conference, cost, facilities, etc. To me, every answer comes off as overly pro-moving DI. Sounds more like an advertisement in favor of a move than anything. And they've hired a consulting firm.

Link (http://www.d2football.com/board/index.php?showtopic=4417&st=0)

Since reiterating its DII status in 2002, USD?s strongest partner institutions (academic,
geographic, mission, athletic) have left for DI/DIAA. These institutions include South
Dakota State University, North Dakota State University, the University of North Dakota
and the University of Northern Colorado.

The University of South Dakota is a research university with a broad array of
undergraduate, graduate and professional degree programs. These academic
characteristics are more consistent with Division I institutions than with those in Division
II. USD?s peer institutions, regionally and nationally, sponsor Division I athletic
programs, either through an individual sport or the entire program.
Every flagship institution in the United States classifies at least one sport at the Division I
level, and most classify their entire athletic programs at that level. Although, the
University of North Dakota has sponsored Division I programs for several years in men?s
and recently in women?s hockey, their recent announcement indicates an intent to have
all sports competing at the Division I level, consistent with its flagship designation. In
addition, South Dakota is the only state in the United States that does not have its
flagship and primary land grant institution sponsoring DI athletics.

Bisonguy
10-18-2006, 01:47 AM
If they're hiring a consulting firm, they might as well get out the rubber stamp.

Looks like UND and USD will be searching for a conference together (or possibly just accepting their invitation-in-hand to the Big Sky).

sambini
10-18-2006, 03:06 AM
Who gives a rip anyway, if your going to move up why is it in comparison to the State U's? *Is everything you guys do always have to involve the XDSU's? *Why not make the move because its what's right for you guys and not try to make your point by slamming the State U's? *UND is the same way, they for the most part do everything in comparison to NDSU which is why so many Bison fans are laughing at thier proposed move. *Has nothing to do with whats right or wrong for them but everything to do with trying to one up or keep up with NDSU. *I wish you both well in your move but don't get on the XDSU's about your problems. *We have moved on I suggest you do the same. *I would think there are better things you could be doing such as trying to find ways to help your university try to fund the proposed move *:-/
+++++++++++++++++++++

89rabbit
10-31-2006, 01:26 PM
Here are a couple of links to stories about USD's consultant's findings:

Argus story:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061031/NEWS03/610310335/1001/rss01

Yankton Press & Dakotan:

http://www.yankton.net/stories/103106/community_1371103106.shtml

There is some funny stuff in both.

RedRiver
10-31-2006, 01:49 PM
They're banking on the Mid-Con conference and that's not a good thing to do. The likely move of NDSU & SDSU to the Gateway for football has really got to hurt these schools that are considering the Great West.

IowaBisonToo
10-31-2006, 02:14 PM
Using the "3 ugly girls at a dance" analogy probably isn't something a professional consultant should be doing. :o ;D :-?

So with 12 teams and 2 divisions in basketball, you're talking about 22 conference games if you were to play every school twice. Or, you could have 16 conference games - twice for each school in your division and once for each school in the other division. Probably not the way you'd want it. That leaves about 8 non-conference games for the first scenario and 14 for the second. I think most schools want a few more than 8 but not sure if they want to schedule 14 non-conference games. The way it stands now, they can schedule a total of about 11 non-conf. games - probably right about where they want to be.

Also to say they should be 90-95% sure of a conference home might be a little unrealistic. Maybe that's just the way these consulting firms cover their ass so they can say, "We told you so." when schools are having problems and aren't in a conference after reclassifying.

All I can say is, good luck to both campuses. You'll need it more than ever. If this doesn't teach them to become leaders instead of followers, they'll probably never learn.

tony
10-31-2006, 02:59 PM
I kinda think NDSU and SDSU might be talked into sticking to the GWFC if UND and USD join with the understanding that the conference would receive an autobid in 2009. If the GWFC has to wait until 2012 or later, I just don't think NDSU can afford to stick with it.

Heck, why doesn't U of San Diego quit the Pioneer and join the Great West?

BisonBacker
10-31-2006, 03:02 PM
I kinda think NDSU and SDSU might be talked into sticking to the GWFC if UND and USD join with the understanding that the conference would receive an autobid in 2009. If the GWFC has to wait until 2012 or later, I just don't think NDSU can afford to stick with it.

Where's that autobid going to come from? I don't see that as reality at all and think if the Gateway comes calling we are gone.

RedRiver
10-31-2006, 03:16 PM

I don't think NDSU and SDSU would stay with the Great West because of the autobid. The Gateway also has the autobid and a proven history of another 1-3 teams selected for the playoffs on an annual basis. The goal of NDSU is to win a National Championship and the only way to do that is to be selected for the playoffs. The Gateway defintely gives NDSU more chances to make the playoffs. Gene Taylor even discussed this on the Saturday sports show on WDAY radio last Saturday.

broke_back_mnt
10-31-2006, 03:57 PM
I agree, how does the GWFC gain the auto bid? Whos going to give it up?

I wonder if the consultant actually talked with the Mid Con? I konw after we got in the Mid Con stated it was going to continue ot look at expansion.

WYOBISONMAN
10-31-2006, 04:34 PM
Yes, there seems to be some very strong assumptions in that report......

DIBISON
10-31-2006, 05:36 PM
Its a joke and all speculation. The consultant and school officials that talk about 12 member conferences and split divisions aren't facing reality. Get a grip everyone, established conferences aren't going to change their makeup and structure for some schools looking to make a move to DI.

It's great the NDSU & SDSU are already in the Mid-Con and more than likely soon to be in the Gateway. There will be others that desire this same arrangement but they will be left out of the loop.

BisonBacker
10-31-2006, 05:40 PM
Its a joke and all speculation. *The consultant and school officials that talk about 12 member conferences and split divisions aren't facing reality. *Get a grip everyone, established conferences aren't going to change their makeup and structure for some schools looking to make a move to DI.

It's great the NDSU & SDSU are already in the Mid-Con and more than likely soon to be in the Gateway. *There will be others that desire this same arrangement but they will be left out of the loop.

Sitting on the fence will has definetly cost them over the last few years. Well NDSU, SDSU and UNC all tried to get them to listen but to no avail. You know the old saying you can lead a horse to water but you can't make em drink. Guess they got a little thirsty now tho after seeing our successes.

DIBISON
11-01-2006, 03:00 AM
Its a joke and all speculation. *The consultant and school officials that talk about 12 member conferences and split divisions aren't facing reality. *Get a grip everyone, established conferences aren't going to change their makeup and structure for some schools looking to make a move to DI.

It's great the NDSU & SDSU are already in the Mid-Con and more than likely soon to be in the Gateway. *There will be others that desire this same arrangement but they will be left out of the loop.

Sitting on the fence will has definetly cost them over the last few years. *Well NDSU, SDSU and UNC all tried to get them to listen but to no avail. *You know the old saying you can lead a horse to water but you can't make em drink. *Guess they got a little thirsty now tho after seeing our successes.

And its only going to get better for the Bison & Jacks. Can you say Gateway!!

sambini
11-01-2006, 03:27 AM
Do you know the way to the gateway++++++++++

kchats
11-02-2006, 04:28 AM
Gateway will be great for NDSU and SDSU. That is a 9 team conference, perfect for football. 8 conference games, 4 home and 4 away and 3 nonconference games. Mid Con is also at a perfect number with 10. The only universities the Mid Con might continue to consider are one that are near the end of the transition or already through the transition, Utah Valley State as a travel partner for SUU.

Douple mentioned the arrows thrown at visionary NDSU and SDSU during the acceptance press conference. He is well aware of the conduct at UND.

Great West would need to add 3 schools currently eligible for the playoffs next season in order to even be eligible for an autobid in 2009. UND and USD will provide nothing towards an autobid until 2012 at the earliest and NDSU and SDSU shouldn't wait that long. Remember UND and USD have done nothing during this transition to help NDSU and SDSU so why would NDSU and SDSU piss a membership in an autobid conference down the drain to be in a conference with them.

BisonBacker
11-02-2006, 01:39 PM
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

IowaBisonToo
11-02-2006, 02:18 PM
Any talk out West of schools dropping down from IA to IAA? If so, is there a potential for the GWFC to pick them up? And, do schools that drop have to wait for a given time before they're post-season eligible? I highly doubt this is the case but, you never know with college athletics now days.

Had heard a clip of Myles Brand on some radio show the other day talking about the number of schools that are so deep in the red that they're dropping sports left and right to balance their budgets. My guess is that if this were the case for some schools out West, the option of dropping down to IAA in football would be a benefit by being able to get rid of 22 scholarships and in turn, being able to maybe even drop a women's sport all together.

Ahhh, speculation.

IowaBison
11-02-2006, 03:11 PM
I think many schools would drop football entirely.

RedRiver
11-02-2006, 04:50 PM
Gateway will be great for NDSU and SDSU. *That is a 9 team conference, perfect for football. *8 conference games, 4 home and 4 away and 3 nonconference games. *Mid Con is also at a perfect number with 10. *The only universities the Mid Con might continue to consider are one that are near the end of the transition or already through the transition, Utah Valley State as a travel partner for SUU.

Douple mentioned the arrows thrown at visionary NDSU and SDSU during the acceptance press conference. *He is well aware of the conduct at UND.

Great West would need to add 3 schools currently eligible for the playoffs next season in order to even be eligible for an autobid in 2009. *UND and USD will provide nothing towards an autobid until 2012 at the earliest and NDSU and SDSU shouldn't wait that long. *Remember UND and USD have done nothing during this transition to help NDSU and SDSU so why would NDSU and SDSU piss a membership in an autobid conference down the drain to be in a conference with them.

I agree, the Mid Con and Gateway will have the perfect setups after they add NDSU & SDSU. Even if those conferences would lose a member or two in the future, they still wouldn't have to expand again.