PDA

View Full Version : Augie staying DII

tony
11-14-2006, 10:32 PM
Well, Augie won't be joining the GWFC since they have "reaffirmed their commitment to Division II" by talking to the NSIC about joining them. Seems like that would be a really good match for them.

http://goaugie.com/article.asp?articleid=82186

Jeffdaryl3rd
11-14-2006, 11:06 PM
I think that D-II is the correct fit for Augustana. They might be able to pull the move off, but I'm not sure that they would ever be a successful D-1 school. Right now they have quality programs in D-II and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

broke_back_mnt
11-14-2006, 11:44 PM
Augi is a classic fit for DII. NDSU, SDSU and the others are big schools in DII and typical profiles in DI.

There has been a lot of NSIC talk in St. Cloud and Mankato too. Even though these schools look more like an average DI institution they seem to be content with the DII/DI hockey thing.

sambini
11-15-2006, 01:31 AM
RIGHT MOVE FOR AUGIE++

roadwarrior
11-15-2006, 02:15 AM
I agree. Someone finally decides not to follow for the sake of following.

Jeffdaryl3rd
11-15-2006, 03:01 AM
Of the schools left in the NCC, I think that only UND and USD should even consider going D-I. I guess I'm not sure it is a good idea for either of these programs to actually go D-I, but given that NDSU and SDSU (schools of similar profile) have been successful in their transition, it is natural they should examine the option closely. However, I definitely think the rest of the NCC schools would end up greatly regretting a reclassification to D-I. No shame in staying within your resources at D-II.

JackJD
11-15-2006, 04:53 AM
Similar sentiments being expressed on SDSU's Message Board about the Augie news.

I had wondered whether they'd explore going D-1 but having no scholarship football like Drake, Valpo and others.

RedRiver
11-15-2006, 01:54 PM
Similar sentiments being expressed on SDSU's Message Board about the Augie news.

I had wondered whether they'd explore going D-1 but having no scholarship football like Drake, Valpo and others.

The Forum reported today that they are leaving the NCC after 07-08 season which will leave that conference with only 4 teams (assuming USD moves to DI).

WYOBISONMAN
11-15-2006, 02:00 PM
Looks like R.T. better start looking for work!

broke_back_mnt
11-15-2006, 03:43 PM
Or, start calling the Dac 10.

MRBISON
11-15-2006, 03:49 PM
I have heard similar talk around Mankato...about them moving to the NSIC....some have mentioned that their football scholarships will drop if they move though....anyone know the story on why that is?

I would have thought that scholarship numbers would be the same from conference to conference as long as they are DII?

broke_back_mnt
11-15-2006, 04:25 PM
The NSIC has a cap in the low to mid 20s. Cant remember what it is. I think thats why Bismarck didnt apply for membership in the NCC. Either they saw it crumbling or they wanted the less expensive lower scholarship option, ro both maybe?

WYOBISONMAN
11-15-2006, 05:42 PM
I wonder what will happen as clearly the NSIC can't take all the remaining NCC members in. At most they have room for 2...............

IowaBisonToo
11-15-2006, 06:10 PM
Come on. It's the same situation as the school not to be named up north that thinks they're a lock for the Mid-Con (in some peoples eyes). The same answer can be applied here as they're spouting - split the conference into 2 divisions. ::)

In all reality, I don't think Augie could have done it. They are the small fish in the big pond of Sioux Falls. USF reigns over them and won't be surpassed. If they can continue to compete with the rest of the NCC schools and the NSIC schools, that is really where they belong, IMO.

Bison_Dan
11-15-2006, 07:38 PM
Come on. *It's the same situation as the school not to be named up north that thinks they're a lock for the Mid-Con (in some peoples eyes). *The same answer can be applied here as they're spouting - split the conference into 2 divisions. ::)

In all reality, I don't think Augie could have done it. *They are the small fish in the big pond of Sioux Falls. *USF reigns over them and won't be surpassed. *If they can continue to compete with the rest of the NCC schools and the NSIC schools, that is really where they belong, IMO.

Augie is the first of the ncc that now acknowledges that they can't do it. They have no conference to go to. I wonder when the others will realize this? The Johnny come lately schools will need a lot of good luck to find any conference. ;)

IowaBisonToo
11-15-2006, 09:44 PM
I think SCSU, MSU-Mankato and UMD would be best served to talk to their good buddy Butch and get into the NSIC. In fact, it may be the one who flintches first and says, "Screw you all! We're going to a conference that will be around for a while." who will get possibly the final spot in the NSIC - if they only want a total of 12 schools. If there is no way possible for all three schools to join the NSIC and have 14 teams, somebody is going to be left hung out to dry.

You know what would shock the sh!t out of everybody? If USD decided they didn't want DI and all of a sudden ended up in the NSIC while leaving the three MN schools without a conference. :o That would suck but it wouldn't surprise me.

Jeffdaryl3rd
11-15-2006, 11:48 PM
Minnesota-Duluth is getting back into the NSIC when hell freezes over (which rumor has it happens about 25 times a winter in Duluth). The Bulldogs bolted the NSIC a couple seasons ago for a better conference, and there would be some serious tail-tucking involved in going back. I'm going to go against conventional wisdom and say that the NCC is probably going to actually steal a few teams from the NSIC. It would be much easier to convince teams to add some scholarships and step up to better competition than to convince NCC teams, some of which have been looking at going D-I, to drop down to the level of competition in the NSIC.

Jeffdaryl3rd
11-16-2006, 02:48 AM
I think that there are legitimately four D-II programs that the NCC could look at adding that would aid its declining membership programs.
--Bemidji State, NSIC
--University of Mary, NSIC
--Winona State, NSIC
--UW-Parkside, Great Lakes Valley Conference
UW-Parkside might be a good fit if it weren't for the fact that they don't sponsor football. They are currently in the GLVC, which has teams in Kentucky, Indiana, Missouri and Illinois, so a move to the NCC might make sense geographically. Obviously these suggestions are just based on about 15 minutes of internet research, so read them with that in mind. Also possible for them to grab a D-III or NAIA school on the move up.

IowaBisonToo
11-16-2006, 02:25 PM
Do you think that these schools are willing to up the number of scholarships or is the NCC going to have to go down a few in order to lure some of them away from their current affiliations?

Maybe they could convince U Sioux Falls to make the jump to DII. They would be a much more popular team in Sioux Falls than the current DII team - at least from what I can gather.

Also, does DII have the same stipulations in regards to "core" members, etc as DI conferences? Might that make a difference as to who they would bring in IF the NCC swipes schools from othere conferences.

It will be an interesting next couple of years as the DII landscape is changed in the upper midwest.

Hammersmith
11-16-2006, 03:33 PM
Also, does DII have the same stipulations in regards to "core" members, etc as DI conferences? *Might that make a difference as to who they would bring in IF the NCC swipes schools from othere conferences.
No core institution requirement, but there is a two year continuity of membership requirement. Other factors include a one year warning period when the AQ is in jeopardy and that the time spent as a provisional member doesn't count toward the continuity of membership. I'm sure that second part applies to some of the schools we're talking about.

met1990
11-16-2006, 04:11 PM
Has anyone heard what the Washinton schools think of this whole thing? Aren't there two Washington State schools that joined the NCC in football a couple years ago?

mikelsch
11-16-2006, 04:15 PM
They are only affiliate members for football

Hammersmith
11-16-2006, 04:20 PM
Has anyone heard what the Washinton schools think of this whole thing? Aren't there two Washington State schools that joined the NCC in football a couple years ago?
Yep, Central and Western Washington. They were added as football affiliates when the NCC discovered that regional DII schools weren't as eager to join the NCC as RT and the UxD's thought. Even then, the NCC had to give CWU and WWU a travel allowance to get them to join. It looks like they're going back to independant hell after only a few years in the NCC. It seems like the DI-AA and DII situation really uh...stinks for the western schools.

Bison_Dan
11-16-2006, 06:27 PM
Yep, Central and Western Washington. They were added as football affiliates when the NCC discovered that regional DII schools weren't as eager to join the NCC as RT and the UxD's thought. Even then, the NCC had to give CWU and WWU a travel allowance to get them to join. It looks like they're going back to independant hell after only a few years in the NCC. It seems like the DI-AA and DII situation really uh...stinks for the western schools.

Maybe they'll go DI?

BisBison
11-16-2006, 11:21 PM
Maybe they'll go DI?[/quote]

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D with their support????????

TheBisonator
11-17-2006, 12:58 AM
Yeah, they'll go DI with this WONDERFUL football stadium:

http://www.cwu.edu/~relation/welcome/images/sky-stadium.jpg

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Tatanka
11-17-2006, 01:10 AM
Where is it? :o

Oh, sorry, now i see it... :-[ Yeah, that says D-I all over it.

TheBisonator
11-17-2006, 02:00 AM
Where is it? :o

Oh, sorry, now i see it... *:-[ *Yeah, that says D-I all over it.

My old high school stadium was bigger than that. And we were a SHITTY high school team with almost NO support.

Trimmy
11-17-2006, 02:27 AM
What is that thing behind it with all the posts?

Jeffdaryl3rd
11-17-2006, 03:37 AM
Do you think that these schools are willing to up the number of scholarships or is the NCC going to have to go down a few in order to lure some of them away from their current affiliations?

Maybe they could convince U Sioux Falls to make the jump to DII. *They would be a much more popular team in Sioux Falls than the current DII team - at least from what I can gather.

Also, does DII have the same stipulations in regards to "core" members, etc as DI conferences? *Might that make a difference as to who they would bring in IF the NCC swipes schools from othere conferences.

It will be an interesting next couple of years as the DII landscape is changed in the upper midwest.

All good questions and I don't know. Like I said, these are schools that I singled out as being within the general geographic footprint of the NCC and a very general profile. My main point though is that whether it is one of these schools or a school reclassifying, or some other program the NCC is going to have to find a couple members somewhere, regardless of whether UND and USD leave. If those two leave then it becomes panic time.

Paulie
11-17-2006, 02:29 PM
My high school stadium was 6000 times bigger than that and my high school had the smallest stadium in all North Dakota! Damn, now I really feel like I have a large penis after braging like that!

broke_back_mnt
11-18-2006, 01:01 AM
D2 really made it unatractive for large schools committed to full programs like NDSU. They needed an at large system like DI-AA and needed to keep politics out of it. As it was they seemed to like taking it away from premier progams? But hey, their miss management helped bring the advancement become fact for NDSU.

Jeffdaryl3rd
11-18-2006, 02:25 AM
D-II has really gone to crap. I'd bet that within the next ten years there are a lot more schools that reclassify either to D-I or to D-III.

kchats
11-18-2006, 02:30 AM
I think you are just seeing that NDSU had outgrown division II back in the 80's and 90's. Bison should have at least made the move when Cal-Poly did. NDSU is too big a school in too big a town to fit in with the schools that are division II. NDSU is definitely a division I school. Augie is right where they belong in division II and the NSIC would be a good fit for them. Less football scholarships should help their other programs and they won' notice much difference in level of play.

4mcruenomore
11-19-2006, 04:30 PM
After this first season for Mary in DII, I'm beginning to wonder if the NSIC isn't already below them. Maybe if they add Augie and St. Cloud their level of competition will be better, not to mention the # of Scholarships might be increased. I know that Mary was thinking ahead, for-seeing the possible demise of the NCC, but I think it would have fit them better in the next few years once the football program gains more ground.

2006 Schedule and Results

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date Opponent Site Time
09/02/2006 Chadron State Bismarck, ND L 3-21
09/09/2006 Minnesota - Duluth Duluth, MN L 14-42
09/16/2006 St. Cloud State St. Cloud, MN L 14-37
09/23/2006 Concordia - St. Paul - Homecoming Bismarck, ND L 19-22
09/30/2006 Southwest Minnesota State Marshall, MN W 20-0
10/07/2006 Bemidji State Bemidji, MN W 27-21
10/14/2006 University of Minnesota - Crookston Crookston, MN W 24-0
10/21/2006 Minnesota State University - Moorhead Bismarck, ND W 21-20
10/28/2006 Upper Iowa University Bismarck, ND W 42-13
11/11/2006 Northern State University Metrodome W 20-7

We started out slow, just a few comments: