PDA

View Full Version : Monson Reportedly Out at Minnesota

zeke824
11-30-2006, 05:21 PM
Let the speculation on the successor begin.

2006gwfcchamps
11-30-2006, 05:29 PM
I don't think Miles will get it. I think they'll go after a bigger name.

NorthernBison
11-30-2006, 05:30 PM
I don't think Miles will get it. I think they'll go after a bigger name.

I hope you are right.

2006gwfcchamps
11-30-2006, 06:01 PM
Miles is good enough, but I think the fans of a Big 10 school would be disappointed with a mid major coach.

Then again, who hired UNI's old coach? Some big school I forget.

IowaBison
11-30-2006, 06:09 PM
too bad. McDermott would have been a great hire for the U.

roadwarrior
11-30-2006, 06:09 PM
From the Tribune:

http://www.startribune.com/512/story/844947.html

drewaely
11-30-2006, 06:15 PM
The next head coach of the University of Minnesota Mens basketball team.... drum roll please.... Trent Tucker!

Why?

1. He's an alum
2. He is LOVED by Minnesota Highschool basketball coaches
3. He played in the NBA - he's credible

The UofM hasn't announced this (yet) but trust me.... It will happen.

ALPHAMALE
11-30-2006, 06:37 PM
Miles is good enough, but I think the fans of a Big 10 school would be disappointed with a mid major coach.

Then again, who hired UNI's old coach? Some big school I forget.

No way is Miles even in the running for this job. I don't want to hurt anybody's feelings but what has his best record at NDSU been? Overall record? Last season certainly isn't enough to warrant a Big 10 job.

Jeffdaryl3rd
11-30-2006, 06:43 PM
Now, let's establish first off that I know very little about college basketball, but Trent Tucker was a name that came to mind when I saw this thread. Miles would do a very good job for them, but I think He might be a year or two away from garnering consideration for these types of positions.

sambini
11-30-2006, 07:03 PM
Flip Saunders? That was a name on the FAN ++

drewaely
11-30-2006, 07:07 PM
Flip Saunders? That was a name on the FAN ++
Doesn't flip already have a job? Why would he want to leave the nba for the lowly goofers?

Jeffdaryl3rd
11-30-2006, 07:19 PM
That absolutely won't happen. It will be rumored around the Twin Cities media though, because for whatever reason they just love Flip.

tcbison
11-30-2006, 07:54 PM
That absolutely won't happen. *It will be rumored around the Twin Cities media though, because for whatever reason they just love Flip.

I think Flip's son plays for the Gophers. However, I don't see Flip coaching the Gophs.

insane_ponderer
11-30-2006, 08:07 PM
Assistant coach Jim Molinari, a former Bradley head coach, is the successor. The naming of Molinari was a bit of a surprise considering that Bill Walker had been the assistant at Minnesota since 1999.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2681321

D
11-30-2006, 08:37 PM
Molinari is not a surprise. He had a lot of success as Illinois State in the mid and late 90s. He preaches defense.

I know that as of last year, Tucker did not have a Masters, making it all but impossible to land a DI coaching gig. He was taking classes last year, not usre if he got it done or not. Anyway, he was brutal when he did color for Twolves games. He seems to think he is bigger then he really is. He has absolutely zero coaching experience, let alone head coaching experience. He is at best a candidate for the 3rd assistant coaching spot.

Flip is in a good enough financial situation where he is a viable candidate. Expect Turgeon from Wichita State's name to be thrown around, McDermott's name wil be thrown around as he has had a lot of success in Minnesota and Iowa State's program is in a very tough spot right now, although they did beat the Gophers. Jim Les will from Bradley will be a talked about candidate, and Majerus could have the position if he wants it, but that is the question. Randy Whitmann was a finalist at Indiana, and will be speculated about as well. Long time Twolver assistant who lives in the Cities.

BisonMav
11-30-2006, 10:28 PM
Been hearing Majerus with Trent Tucker as an assistant as a good possibility.
Besides Tuckers son is going to be a good recruit. :-?

kchats
12-01-2006, 04:14 AM
Way too early to be looking for a new head coach. This is completely ridiculous. They have hardly started the season and now they will be looking for a new head coach for a whole year. The weeks Coach Miles was flirting with UNC-Wilmington was too long for me. A whole year of it would drive me crazy as a fan of the Gophers. What good does it do them to have him leave 7 games into the season? They should have had him coach the remainder of the year and then let him go.

SDbison
12-01-2006, 04:18 AM
Way too early to be looking for a new head coach. *This is completely ridiculous. *They have hardly started the season and now they will be looking for a new head coach for a whole year. *The weeks Coach Miles was flirting with UNC-Wilmington was too long for me. *A whole year of it would drive me crazy as a fan of the Gophers. *What good does it do them to have him leave *7 games into the season? *They should have had him coach the remainder of the year and then let him go.
Good point kchats.

D
12-01-2006, 05:16 AM
Way too early to be looking for a new head coach. *This is completely ridiculous. *They have hardly started the season and now they will be looking for a new head coach for a whole year. *The weeks Coach Miles was flirting with UNC-Wilmington was too long for me. *A whole year of it would drive me crazy as a fan of the Gophers. *What good does it do them to have him leave *7 games into the season? *They should have had him coach the remainder of the year and then let him go.

The team was very clearly not buying into anything Monson wanted them to do offensively. Things were only getting worse. They have a wonderful top assistant in Molinari who is a proven winner at the Division I level and was known during his years at Illinois State as being a great defensive tactition who got his players to go balls to the wall. Monson gave Molinari all the credit for their marked defensive improvements last year. Why not get rid of Monson so when the kids who are 08 and 09 grads visit this year, they won't have to deal with a lame duck coach and get fed a bunch of BS by him. All this will do is improve their recruiting. They are done for 07 and don't have to lie to the younger classes. The instability with Monson cost them 2 in-state kids this year in Mbakwe and Leuer. They have minimum 4 scholarships to give out for the 08 class, and that class is the top recruiting priority now. If Mason stayed the year, the relationships that he would build with those kids this year would go for nothing. This way, at least they'll have a shot at sticking in the game with some of those kids.

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-01-2006, 05:55 AM
Never liked Monson as a coach. The last couple years I haven't been around the Twin Cities enough to really know what was going on, but early on I can't say I was a fan. Hopefully they get somebody good in there not named Miles.

IowaBisonToo
12-01-2006, 01:47 PM
Should have gotten rid of Monson before Huggins had a job. If that would have happened, the UM graduation rate probably would have been lower than it was when Cheatin' Clem was in there. ::)