11-30-2006, 02:03 AM
GOOD LUCK YOTES++

kchats
11-30-2006, 03:52 AM
Oh boy Vermillion??? :o

JackJD
11-30-2006, 04:42 AM
GOOD LUCK YOTES++

C'mon, Sambini. How about wishing them just "moderate luck".

Seriously, no surprise on this matter. What is a little interesting is the silence of those who loudly protested SDSU's move.

Jeffdaryl3rd
11-30-2006, 05:18 AM
I wish I could say that I thought this was the right move. I just think from a purely gut reaction stand point I think that they made the wrong decision, but then again that isn't really based on anything.

WYOBISONMAN
11-30-2006, 02:22 PM
I really think USD is a small school that will have a very difficult time transitioning to DI.......time will tell.

IowaBisonToo
11-30-2006, 02:24 PM
Hopefully they don't become a school that wallows in the depths of DI due to limited funding. I hope they can pull a log of interest out of Sioux City for fan attendance - highly likely though. If people in Sioux City bleed red, it's not 'Yote red, it's Husker red.

2006gwfcchamps
11-30-2006, 03:52 PM
I think USD is going to need a chunk of money to do anything.

A new bball arena for starters and a renovation of the dome (it has a nice video board, at least) would help.

I think they're trying to increase undergrad enrollment. They don't have an engineering school (the other 3 dakota flagships do), which hurts. They do have the most graduate enrollment of the 4, though. So if they could get their undergrad enrollment up to 10k (which is about the average of the other 3), they'd be sitting at around 12.5k total enrollment.

Jeffdaryl3rd
11-30-2006, 04:54 PM
Well, I'd have to imagine that as soon as SDSU and NDSU make the move to the gateway they'll jump to the GWFC. How long do you think we'll have to wait to get in to the Gateway?

2006gwfcchamps
11-30-2006, 05:12 PM
I honestly think it comes down to only 2 things.

1) how fast does the Gateway want to expand?

2) are there MVC members who aren't in the Gateway that would like to be in the future? I think that mostly comes down to Drake and Wichita State (who supposedly have a 10 million dollar donor ready to start football back up but the current president won't allow it). I'm sure Drake fans would love for them to have scholarships but I don't see how they can afford it without a large donor as well.

Assuming neither DU or WSU step forward, I think the Gateway will take NDSU and SDSU as soon as they think they want to expand.

kchats
12-01-2006, 04:18 AM
GOOD LUCK YOTES++

C'mon, Sambini. *How about wishing them just "moderate luck". *

Seriously, no surprise on this matter. *What is a little interesting is the silence of those who loudly protested SDSU's move.

Oh come on JackJD, you know they planned it this way the whole time. They only waited until NDSU and SDSU had success so they could announce the move and tell everyone they are doing it right. 4 years ago moving up to division I was a horrible idea worthy of all kinds of ridicule and mistreatment. They even supported NDSU and SDSU by making the move tougher by refusing to schedule them. I just hope that SDSU and NDSU can help UND and USD the same way they helped us.

SDbison
12-01-2006, 04:21 AM
GOOD LUCK YOTES++

Seriously, no surprise on this matter. *What is a little interesting is the silence of those who loudly protested SDSU's move.

Oh come on JackJD, you know they planned it this way the whole time. *They only waited until NDSU and SDSU had success so they could announce the move and tell everyone they are doing it right. *4 years ago moving up to division I was a horrible idea worthy of all kinds of ridicule and mistreatment. *They even supported NDSU and SDSU by making the move tougher by refusing to schedule them. *I just hope that SDSU and NDSU can help UND and USD the same way they helped us.
Best part is NDSU and SDSU don't have to do anything. UND and USD will wallow without a conference for many years. No Mid Con, No Big Sky.......where will they go?

MinotBison
12-01-2006, 04:23 AM
GOOD LUCK YOTES++

Oh come on JackJD, you know they planned it this way the whole time. *They only waited until NDSU and SDSU had success so they could announce the move and tell everyone they are doing it right. *4 years ago moving up to division I was a horrible idea worthy of all kinds of ridicule and mistreatment. *They even supported NDSU and SDSU by making the move tougher by refusing to schedule them. *I just hope that SDSU and NDSU can help UND and USD the same way they helped us.

...he said sarcastically. :D :D :D

kchats
12-01-2006, 04:25 AM
No there is no sarcasm there. I want to lend them the same helping hand they lent us. I am currently exercising my middle fingers so I can help them with both hands.

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-01-2006, 04:58 AM
I honestly think it comes down to only 2 things.

1) how fast does the Gateway want to expand?

2) are there MVC members who aren't in the Gateway that would like to be in the future? I think that mostly comes down to Drake and Wichita State (who supposedly have a 10 million dollar donor ready to start football back up but the current president won't allow it). I'm sure Drake fans would love for them to have scholarships but I don't see how they can afford it without a large donor as well.

Assuming neither DU or WSU step forward, I think the Gateway will take NDSU and SDSU as soon as they think they want to expand.

Do you think it is possible that either Drake of Wichita would get in to the Gateway, the Gateway still wanted to expand and only one of the XDSU's gets in? It is a big mess if we don't get in, so I just hope it happens soon.

IowaBisonToo
12-01-2006, 01:43 PM
Personally, I would think the Gatway would want a school beholding of the quality that has already been put on the field by most of the other teams. Do you think they would prefer a red-headed step-child vs the cousin that could throw down with them. IMO, no. But then again, I've been wrong before . . . once. :D

2006gwfcchamps
12-01-2006, 05:50 PM
Do you think it is possible that either Drake of Wichita would get in to the Gateway, the Gateway still wanted to expand and only one of the XDSU's gets in? It is a big mess if we don't get in, so I just hope it happens soon.

No matter what happens, I think the Gateway would take both NDSU and SDSU if both were available.

If we woke up tomorrow and both Drake and Wichita were bringing back football for 2008, I think the Gateway would take both of those before they considered NDSU/SDSU.

However, even in that scenario, there are at least 3 more Gateway teams that could be considering DI-A in the future.

YSU was set to join nearby schools Kent and Akron in the MAC in 1998 as well as expand their stadium to 30k. However, the deal fell through and Buffalo was added instead. They have one of the largest stadiums in I-AA.

Ill SU has plans to expand it's stadium to 40k+. Those are just plans, for now. But if they did, it would certainly mean that they were looking to I-A.

MSU was already approached by the Sun Belt conference to join and upgrade to I-A. They turned them down. But they are positioned well to upgrade if they ever wanted to in the future.

Also, Ind State has been a doormat in the Gateway. They could drop their football team and save a large chunk of money without jeopardizing their membership in the MVC for bball.

West Ill and North IA both have stadiums around 15k and don't look to be expanding in the future. SIU has plans to build a stadium in the 15k range so it wouldn't appear they were expanding.

So I think the opportunities for expansion in the Gateway will be quite open in the future.

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-01-2006, 08:12 PM
So a pretty fluid situation for Gateway membership. I just hope we wrap up an invite to the conference sometime soon so we can all stop worrying about this.

kchats
12-02-2006, 04:39 AM
A link to the Argus leader blog regarding USD's move.

http://blogs.argusleadermedia.com/sports/

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-02-2006, 05:21 AM
I think the prediction that it will be easier for USD to get into a conference than SDSU is interesting. If anything I would think it will be more difficult for them as well as UND, but I guess we'll just have to wait to see how it pans out.

BisBison
12-02-2006, 03:48 PM
I think the prediction that it will be easier for USD to get into a conference than SDSU is interesting. *If anything I would think it will be more difficult for them as well as UND, but I guess we'll just have to wait to see how it pans out.

I wasn't sure about that either. But he did say it would be easier due to the work the SUs have already done. I don't think that makes any difference however. Unless there is some more movement in D-I conferences again in the next 3 or 4 years the UXDs could live a long independent life in D-I. ;D ;D

SDbison
12-02-2006, 04:15 PM
I think the prediction that it will be easier for USD to get into a conference than SDSU is interesting. *If anything I would think it will be more difficult for them as well as UND, but I guess we'll just have to wait to see how it pans out.

I wasn't sure about that either. But he did say it would be easier due to the work the SUs have already done. I don't think that makes any difference however. Unless there is some more movement in D-I conferences again in the next 3 or 4 years the UXDs could live a long independent life in D-I. ;D ;D
Very true.

kchats
12-02-2006, 05:49 PM
Like I said in my comment the conferences in UND and USD's region (Big Sky and Mid Con) are set for the foreseeable future. There is absolutely no reason either of those conferences would add first, second or third year transitioning teams just to add them. They will need to have other schools leave and in the case of the Mid Con it will probably need to be 2 schools. There is absolutely no reason to expand to 12 teams by adding transitioning schools either.

SDbison
12-02-2006, 05:52 PM
Like I said in my comment the conferences in UND and USD's region (Big Sky and Mid Con) are set for the foreseeable future. *There is absolutely no reason either of those conferences would add first, second or third year transitioning teams just to add them. *They will need to have other schools leave and in the case of the Mid Con it will probably need to be 2 schools. *There is absolutely no reason to expand to 12 teams by adding transitioning schools either.
Another most correct observation. NDSU and SDSU will rule for many years to come. Tough situation for UND and USD. Leaders win, followers lose.