PDA

View Full Version : Mayville first now NDSU?

99Bison
12-07-2006, 03:07 PM
Theraldson giving... ;D ;D ;D ;D

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=148571&section=Columnists&columnist=A my%20Dalrymple

IowaBison
12-07-2006, 03:13 PM
actually it was Valley City first.....

lakesbison
12-07-2006, 03:53 PM
CONNIE & GARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

$10 Million THARALDSON SPORTS ARENA!!!

(with hotel suite's attached to it?????)

come on bro, spend that $1 BILLION!!

RedRiver
12-07-2006, 04:27 PM
He was at the Bison BB game over Thanksgiving!!

2006gwfcchamps
12-07-2006, 04:56 PM
I wonder how many of the lower college (Mayville, VC, etc.) alumni also consider themselves NDSU fans/supporters?

IowaBison
12-07-2006, 05:16 PM
I wouldn't mind having the word Tharaldson on the new arena.

Self-made North Dakotan. Stay at his hotels a lot, not because I know or care that they're his, but because his product aligns well with the NDB philosophy.

IowaBison
12-07-2006, 05:19 PM
I didn't realize that both gifts were targeted at the athletics program.

His name was recently put on Mary's business school

If Gary likes athletics in North Dakota........................

(That could be your arena right there, I wouldn't bet on it however)

2006gwfcchamps
12-07-2006, 05:55 PM
Also, I would think that rural areas = farming = NDSU. But I wouldn't be surprised to find out that there are lots of rural UND fans.

westriverbison
12-07-2006, 06:31 PM
Almost everyone I know is at least a causal NDSU fan. But I am fussy about who I hang out with. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-07-2006, 06:52 PM
Even if this guy doesn't give us $10M (wow, how nice would that be) I think that a donation of a couple million might be just as useful. That way NDSU could spend what it has raised on a new arena and the donation to remodel the BSA. How's Tharaldson Field House sound for the name of the remodeled BSA?

2006gwfcchamps
12-07-2006, 07:41 PM
Even if this guy doesn't give us $10M (wow, how nice would that be) I think that a donation of a couple million might be just as useful. That way NDSU could spend what it has raised on a new arena and the donation to remodel the BSA. How's Tharaldson Field House sound for the name of the remodeled BSA?

I'd prefer "Indoor Track Gym". The rest of the BSA would be demolished and turned into parking.

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-07-2006, 08:41 PM
I'm not sure I can agree with this idea. It is going to cost more money to selectively tear down the BSA than to remodel what is there. Also, how much parking do you really gain by tearing down the part of the BSA that is not the track? Not much. Step one: remodel BSA into quality multi-purpose training facility. Step two: build new basketball arena attached to FargoDome.

2006gwfcchamps
12-07-2006, 08:55 PM
I'm not sure I can agree with this idea. It is going to cost more money to selectively tear down the BSA than to remodel what is there.

You're right about this, as long as exterior is left out of the equation.

Step one: remodel BSA into quality multi-purpose training facility. Step two: build new basketball arena attached to FargoDome.

Here is the only place you've got it backwards.

Do whatever it takes to get the Dome arena extension built.

Use what's left to upgrade the BSA.

roadwarrior
12-07-2006, 09:12 PM
I believe that the Tharaldson's have already given $1 million towards the BSA project.

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-07-2006, 09:33 PM
I can recognize that the most important priority is probably getting a new arena built, but as a former member of one of the non-basketball programs that has to train in the BSA during the offseason and have practices at 6 am because of a lack of space for all the teams practice, I am obviously biased and think that remodeling the BSA should be a priority. I just want to see a remodeled BSA, a new basketball arena and the new expansion to the Wellness center couple with the Fargo Dome to make NDSU a school with grade 1A athletic facilities.

2006gwfcchamps
12-07-2006, 09:44 PM
I can recognize that the most important priority is probably getting a new arena built, but as a former member of one of the non-basketball programs that has to train in the BSA during the offseason and have practices at 6 am because of a lack of space for all the teams practice, I am obviously biased and think that remodeling the BSA should be a priority. I just want to see a remodeled BSA, a new basketball arena and the new expansion to the Wellness center couple with the Fargo Dome to make NDSU a school with grade 1A athletic facilities.

I think all the sports should have their own facilities to avoid time conflicts when possible.

That's why I'd like to see bball practice courts at the new arena, a new indoor football practice field, indoor batting cages and pitching mounds, indoor driving range and putting range, etc.

Track has the BSA track, wrestling has the BSA wrestling room, and vball has the BBFH.

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-07-2006, 09:53 PM
I'm not sure the teams need separate facilities. The problem currently is that there is not enough space to fit all the teams and the NDSU recreation department. However, a new arena would add court space where the basketball teams could practice and the wellness center expansion will add space for student rec. This leaves plenty of space for the remaining teams. Volleyball slots in to BBFH, softball between BBFH and the BSA, track and wrestling at the BSA and baseball spread around as it currently is between the BSA, BBFH and the batting tunnels at Newman. Would it be nice to have separate facilities? Heck yes. But with a new arena and a remodel there is plenty of space and I personally don't see the need to spend the money to separate everyone.