PDA

View Full Version : Mankato thoughts on the NCC

KTF
12-09-2006, 02:23 PM
Sounds like most at MSU-M (Mankato) have no idea what direction the athletic department is headed. Having grown up in the area I would be shocked if they made the move to D-1. The only program that gets attendance is hockey, then barely 3000/night.

http://www.mankato-freepress.com/siteSearch/apstorysection/local_story_342142607.html

Another good article about the situation
http://www.mankato-freepress.com/siteSearch/apstorysection/local_story_341224911.html

Thank goodness NDSU is not in this situation!! :) ;D

Tatanka
12-09-2006, 03:34 PM
Leaders rarely are in this situation... ;)

2006gwfcchamps
12-09-2006, 03:42 PM
Saint Cloud and Duluth aren't going DI, we know that much.

I don't see how Mankato is any different than those 2.

The one thing that is different about Mankato is that they're referred to as "Minnesota State".

But that certainly isn't enough reason by itself to jump to DI.

It also says they have 23 sports. There's no way they could take that many DI.

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-09-2006, 05:41 PM
I still think it is a sad day when teams from the NCC are trying to get into the NSIC. Another disappointing example of how D-II has been systematically watered down. If you had asked me a couple years ago what would happen to the NCC after UNC, Morningside and the SU's left, I would have said that Minnesota-Duluth and other similar programs would have stepped up to the plate and taken the opportunity to compete at a higher level, but clearly that just won't happen. I would really like to see the NCC stick around, but it is looking more and more like it will be gone soon. Too bad.

bisonranch
12-09-2006, 05:48 PM
I'm surprised how Duluth, St. CLoud, MSU, Auggie, UNO, just conceded the leauge. I would have though they would have tried harder to get the stronger NISC schools to the NCC to keep the leauge alive. Winona with their BBall team and decent football team would have been a candidate. UMary may be strong enough in a few years. It's crazy that the NCC is folding and no one seems to care.

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-09-2006, 07:43 PM
It is surprising. With those five core teams, plus Mary and Winona that would have made 7 teams. Also, I'm guessing that they may also have been able to lure away a few other teams from other conferences. I really think it is a shame that they just let it go. If the league disbands I would expect UNO to hit the trail for D-I, but those other four teams are going to be in trouble. Especially Minnesota-Duluth. They basically ditched the NSIC for the NCC, and I wonder whether the NSIC is going to be interested in letting them back.

2006gwfcchamps
12-09-2006, 08:28 PM
I don't think any of the NSIC teams could afford to or wanted to add scholarships and I don't think the NCC would let them in without going to 36.

UNO was probably going to go to the MIAA regardless of what happened with UND and USD leaving.

Bisonguy
12-09-2006, 08:53 PM
I don't think any of the NSIC teams could afford to or wanted to add scholarships and I don't think the NCC would let them in without going to 36.

UNO was probably going to go to the MIAA regardless of what happened with UND and USD leaving.

The NCC had already waived the required scholies for the new football associate members. Heck, even SCSU was below the "required" scholies for football.

kchats
12-09-2006, 09:07 PM
The NCC schools are just getting a jump on the next round of scholarship cuts for division II football. Next vote I bet they drop them to 30 or less.

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-09-2006, 11:31 PM
Following D-II sports right now for me is like standing on shore watching the ship I just bailed out of as it sinks. Kind of sad really.

TheBisonator
12-10-2006, 04:15 AM
Following D-II sports right now for me is like standing on shore watching the ship I just bailed out of as it sinks. *Kind of sad really.

You described it PERFECTLY.

MinotBison
12-10-2006, 05:13 AM
And up here in Minot, MSU is thinking of perhaps moving "UP" to this level?

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-10-2006, 07:01 AM
Despite its ridiculous watering-down, D-II is still much better than NAIA. Now it has certainly moved down closer to NAIA, but it would still be a major move up.

met1990
12-10-2006, 08:59 AM
I remember when I was a young lad, and the NCC Champs #1 sign was dropped over the BSA. Remember when that used to mean something? It really is too bad that the best conference in D-II is gone.

Thanks RT.

sambini
12-10-2006, 03:57 PM
Roger did a great job with one of the most premier leagues in the USA. It is sad in away. I remember talking to Noel Olson at the College World SERIES in OMAHA. When he was still the NCC boss. He was so proud of the league and its memebers. He would always ask how things were in Fargo. So Roger left UND because he couldn't handle the pressure of the nickname debate and the Ralph running the Athletic Dept. So now what does he do next year after the NCC folds? Lonely Griz does he go into the investment business or insurance?

Tatanka
12-10-2006, 11:44 PM
http://qvm.com/display/mcdonalds3.gif

With his excellent track record and impressive qualifications, he may be able to skip up to assistant manager right away!

Scooter
12-11-2006, 03:28 AM
This is a quote from Greg Dewalt, (Florence Alabama Times Daily) taken from his piece written for the Street and Smith's College Football preview magazine for THIS LAST YEAR

"Division II football seams to only be getting better. *Leagues are deeper now than ever, and even with expanded playoffs it seams as if more and more teams can state their case for the post season."

The NCC four years ago was regarded as one of the elite conferences in DII. *Now they are going to be gone? *This guy has got to be living in a dream world. *Why don't we call DII "DII Concentrate"- because all you need to do is add water.

TransAmBison
12-11-2006, 11:47 AM
Actually, I think that was the plan, they watered things down so much, that any true substance is gone.

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-11-2006, 03:56 PM
If you take what he said purely at face value, it is essentially true. There are more teams in more conferences that can compete and make a case for the playoffs. However, this hasn't been because of teams as the middle and bottom of these leagues getting better, it has been the top teams being eroded by the D-II rules. More teams are competitive, but only because the competition is getting worse and worse.

IowaBisonToo
12-11-2006, 04:58 PM
It's akin to the NFL (or any other pro league for that matter) putting a salary cap in place. Everybody has the same amount to work with so you never truly know who is going to be better than another. Any given -----day really becomes true, then. The DII powers that be would rather have it that way than where the same teams play for the championship year in and year out.

It's also like having 6 classes of high school football in the South Dakota or Minnesota. The higher ups have bastardized the system so everyone feels good about themselves in the end. Why don't we just hand out trophies at the beginning of the year and call it good?

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-11-2006, 05:14 PM
While I agree with the system of having multiple classes, 6 is a bit many. I think that 3-4 is plenty. Not that it matters much, because Eden Prairie is just going to stomp whoever they play in the championship game every year anyway.

2006gwfcchamps
12-11-2006, 06:46 PM
How about Illinois? They have EIGHT classes in football. In fact, Steve Walker guided his team to the IL 8A state title his senior season.

IowaBisonToo
12-12-2006, 01:51 PM
I heard somebody on the radio yesterday (I think it was Kieth Olberman on ESPN) saying how in a few years, you're going to have 32 teams at 8-8 with a whole bunch of coin tosses to set the play-offs. As far as high school goes, you don't see it as much in MN but seeing the 6 classes in SD is a joke but that's a little off topic. Basically, DII created a feel-good atmosphere (the way the NFL is going) where everybody is getting a shot to compete for at least a play-off spot. If you look at the schools that were in the play-offs this year, how many of them would have had a chance 20 years ago?