PDA

View Full Version : 201 points in a basketball game

kchats
12-03-2006, 03:38 AM
A division III school scored 201 points tonight with one guy scoring 69 points on 21 three pointers. Final was 201-78. Wow.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=155054

I see Troy holds the all time NCAA record from when they were division II with 258 points. I guess you would call that running up the score. ::) ;D ;)

sambini
12-03-2006, 04:16 AM
hmm+++

BisonMav
12-05-2006, 02:00 AM
No doubt, if you are winning a game big and still shooting 3's, that's running up the score. :-[

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-05-2006, 02:33 AM
This many points is completely unneccesary. If you have an NBA All-star team out there against some bad D-III team and there are uncontested layups every possession...you still wouldn't score 200 points. Bush league move.

Bisonips
12-06-2006, 07:54 AM
Anyone watching 'Cold Pizza' on Monday waiting for Miles to come on listen to what their coach had to say? The coach 'justified' the score because he had a kid that wanted to try and beat some three-point record. Watching the small clips of video from this game was like watching someone play a video game - up by 50 some points, player steals the ball and shoots a three on a wide-open fast break...completely classless...If I'm not mistaken, they ran a fullcourt press the entire game too - coach said he ran it by the other team's coach before the game to make sure it was ok; since apparently that's the only defensive scheme they do. It was a painful interview to watch because the coach seemed to realize what he did was stupid and childish but at the same time had many reasons for why it was ok.

Junior
12-06-2006, 03:52 PM
My how you guys pass judgement so quickly. *The coach cleared his bench and played every player. *The other team only dressed 6 guys if I remember correctly from the ESPN article. *What do you think is going to happen when you have 12 against 6? *I remember playing in a highschool game where we got beat by 100 points. *We were totally out matched. *Every player for both teams played in the game. *This team eventually went on to win state with an undefeated record. *Not for one minute did we think it was a classless move. *So they were shooting 3s on fast breaks. *It gets pretty boring shooting layup all night. *What do you expect the other team to do, stand there and dribble unitl the shot clock expires and turn it over. *

Anyway, just my opinion.

TheDoctor
12-06-2006, 06:00 PM
Pass the ball around and run clock maybe! Thats a start. But I do agree, don't have a basketball team if you can't put one on the court. 6 players is pathetic.

IowaBison
12-06-2006, 07:34 PM
i don't think i've score 201 points in my life!

Bisonips
12-06-2006, 10:37 PM
I understand the inferiority of a weaker team and then only having 1 guy to pull off of the bench would make it even worse...I read that all five of the regular starters from OSU-Marion had prior commitments because this wasn't a tournament they planned on playing until some other team dropped out.

I have no problem with a team beating the pants off of another team. The backups (I think Lincoln played 16 guys) that came off of the bench should play hard the enitre game. My only problem with this game was the fact that the coach didn't call off the full-court press. Lincoln forced 62 turnovers. At some point the coach had to think that a full court press when you are up by 50-100 points is running up the score, no matter what team you are playing against.

But, I guess he did say the game looked like a scrimmage. Maybe he was thinking that he needed to use the game like a practice and get in some conditioning... :-?

Scooter
12-07-2006, 01:19 AM
Anyone who seriously tries to defend this coach and team or say that we are quick to judge....you must be joking because I know that you're not that stupid.

To run a full court press the entire game when you are up by that much is probably one of the most classless things that I have heard of in a long time. Even if everyone played in the game, do you honestly want people to believe that a full court press is the only defense that these kids have run before. Give me a frickin break.

I wonder if this kind of defense would work in the court of law. Imagine being accused of getting into a fight and when the guy is down, continuing to kick the guy until he winds up paralyzed in the hospital near death. When the judge asks you why you continued to kick the guy even after he was unconscious, you tell the judge, "Come on judge, you act like I just kicked him with my stronger right foot, when my right got tired, I used my left foot to kick him as well...then, I rested for eight minutes and saw his arm move a little so I kicked him for another half hour or so. Besides, I kicked him all over his body, not just his head and crotch. Kicking someone on the ground is all I know how to do. I guess one reason why I continued is because I heard somewhere that someone lasted 40 minutes worth of getting kicked once, my right foot was trying to set a record. I couldn't stop before I set the record, why are you so judgemental?"

Nope, still sounds stupid.

Junior
12-07-2006, 01:54 PM
Anyone who seriously tries to defend this coach and team or say that we are quick to judge....you must be joking because I know that you're not that stupid.

To run a full court press the entire game when you are up by that much is probably one of the most classless things that I have heard of in a long time. *Even if everyone played in the game, do you honestly want people to believe that a full court press is the only defense that these kids have run before. *Give me a frickin break.

I wonder if this kind of defense would work in the court of law. *Imagine being accused of getting into a fight and when the guy is down, continuing to kick the guy until he winds up paralyzed in the hospital near death. *When the judge asks you why you continued to kick the guy even after he was unconscious, you tell the judge, "Come on judge, you act like I just kicked him with my stronger right foot, when my right got tired, I used my left foot to kick him as well...then, I rested for eight minutes and saw his arm move a little so I kicked him for another half hour or so. *Besides, I kicked him all over his body, not just his head and crotch. *Kicking someone on the ground is all I know how to do. *I guess one reason why I continued is because I heard somewhere that someone lasted 40 minutes worth of getting kicked once, *my right foot was trying to set a record. *I couldn't stop before I set the record, why are you so judgemental?" *

Nope, still sounds stupid.

Basketball game....fighting, *Yeah that's the same. <sarcasm>

Sincerely,

Mr. Stupid * :D

Scooter
12-07-2006, 07:53 PM
The point is you don't continue kicking someone just because you can, Mr. Stupid.

You have sarcasm down, now you need to work on the concept of using absurdity to point out absurdity. *No one ever said that the two (basketball-fighting) were the same.

Junior
12-07-2006, 08:37 PM
The point is you don't continue kicking someone just because you can, Mr. Stupid.

You have sarcasm down, now you need to work on the concept of using absurdity to point out absurdity. *No one ever said that the two (basketball-fighting) were the same.

I took sarcasm as a second language *;D *

RodentiaX1
12-11-2006, 10:08 PM
It can't be said that we are being to quick to judge, because there is more than enough presented for us to reach a conclusion. If this isn't classless, I don't know what is. It's like being up 92-0 in a football game, and continuing to throw long bombs, and then when you score, going for 2 so you can beat them 100-0.

Are layups boring? Perhaps they are, but if basketball teams that are up by enourmous leads should keep lighting up threes, then football teams up by enourmous leads should keep throwing long bombs. After all, long bombs are exciting, right? (In any case, I must have missed the bored yawns when a team scores a layup). Or maybe when you're up 100-0 in football, you should do onside kicks, because that's exciting too. And if you're going to do a full-court press all night long, why not blitz on every play, assuming you didn't recover all those onside kicks.

This is a textbook case of classless.

BisonSig
12-12-2006, 01:25 AM
All you can say about it is wow. You want absurd. Check out this: http://nbahoopsonline.com/History/100pointgames.html

As an aside to this story, I was in a very high scoring game in high school. The team we were playing we had beaten earlier in the year at home. That particular team we had thought was a team to beat in our conference. Well they overheard our obvious exuberance and took it out on us when we played next at their home gym. So they are beating us by like 30 some points in the 3rd quarter and our coach calls a time out. He says, 'guys they are going for 100 so I want you guys to go for 100 too.' The game ended 112 to 96. Which at that time, Jan/Feb of 1988, the 2nd or 3rd highest combined scoring game in North Dakota record books. So our opponents averaged 3.5 pts/min, we averaged 3.0 pts/min. That's a lot for a high school basketball game.

roadwarrior
12-12-2006, 01:33 AM
How was the D? ;D

BisonSig
12-12-2006, 02:35 AM
How was the D? ;D

Glad you asked.. Ours was horrible, I remember clearly thinking they couldn't miss. We get in their faces they were to the basket before we could move. We back off of them and they drained the 3's. Their's wasn't much better, only because they only wanted us to miss or make so they could get another chance to score.

Junior
12-12-2006, 01:22 PM
Wow, I sure ruffled some feathers around here. :)

Just wondering, does anyone think a 66-7 football victory is classless?

Bisonguy
12-12-2006, 08:53 PM
Wow, I sure ruffled some feathers around here. * :) *

Just wondering, does anyone think a 66-7 football victory is classless?

Yes, if you keep the starters in the entire game, keep throwing the ball downfield, go for it on fourth down, etc.

Junior
12-12-2006, 10:21 PM
Ok, well, I'm going to end this because there is no point in me continuing this just to be disagreeable. *

btw. *The score I mentioned was NDSU vs. Concordia St. Paul. * ;)

kchats
12-14-2006, 03:18 AM
NDSU scored alot of defensive points and return points in that game and pulled the starters fairly early. They could have scored much more if the starters played the whole game. Part of Concordia St. Paul's problem was they gambled alot which led to easy scores for the Bison.

Bad comparison on your part.

IowaBison
12-14-2006, 03:57 PM
Bohl going for it on fourth down against poly this year..........................

classless? maybe

revenge? definitely ;)

RodentiaX1
12-18-2006, 10:11 PM
A 66-7 win in football is not even remotely comparable to a 201-78 win in basketball. If it were a 110-7 win in football, throwing bombs on every play, and blitzing all night on defense, that would be a comparable football score.

A 66-7 win in football is not all that uncommon. In basketball, scoring 130 points would raise some eyebrows. Scoring 150 points would raise some more. But 201? That's like throwing a bomb and going for two just because you really, really want to lay 100 points on an opponent in a football game.