PDA

View Full Version : SDSU basketball players indicted in sexual assault

Paulie
06-21-2006, 02:32 PM
This could get ugly. Heads have rolled for far less, we'll see who weathers this storm. Anyone from an assistant coach to the president of the university could take the fall for this eventually. These things have a way of turning into a witch hunt when terms like "lack of institutional control" inevitably start to be bandied about.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060620/SPORTS/60620020

BisonMav
06-21-2006, 02:38 PM
I read that in the St Paul Pioneer Press this morning.
Hope things work out for SDSU.

rabidrabbit
06-21-2006, 04:11 PM
Not that we're looking forward to starting the new school year like this, but this has taken a long time from events to indictment.

Like said, hope the truth comes through and 3 people's lives are not devastated worse than has already occurred.

Mr._Bill
06-22-2006, 04:05 AM
This could get ugly. *Heads have rolled for far less, we'll see who weathers this storm. *Anyone from an assistant coach to the president of the university could take the fall for this eventually. *These things have a way of turning into a witch hunt when terms like "lack of institutional control" inevitably start to be bandied about. *

These are the alleged actions of these individuals (they are not convicted, just inditements only), and are not reflective of assistant coaches and school administration. You are way off base. This does not change my opinion of SDSU in any way. This is very unfortunate, but these actions are limited to those involved only. A coach or individual may choose to move on so a page can be turned by the program, but you are off base in assigning accountability and responsibility on coaches and admin at sdsu.

kchats
06-22-2006, 04:10 AM
SDSU suspended the players last year and will kick them off the team completely (if they haven't already done that) if convicted. SDSU runs a good program, bad players happen you deal with them and move on.

jackrabbit1979
06-22-2006, 05:23 AM
According to Coach Nagy, one of the players has left SDSU after completing the spring semester, the other is still at the University awaiting the outcome. Both were suspended and still are suspended from playing with the MBB team.

Any person should be responsible for his/her own actions. I don't think you can hold the coaches, administration, or university at fault for the unfortunate situation. Just as you would not want to be help at fault by your peers if a member of your family made a grave mistake, the same should apply in this situation. I am sure the concern and interest of the Athletic Dept. is constant, but the actions of individuals players cannot be controlled 24/7. Hopefully justice is served in whatever way, and all parties can move on from such a terrible ordeal.

89rabbit
06-22-2006, 05:23 AM
This could get ugly. *Heads have rolled for far less, we'll see who weathers this storm. *Anyone from an assistant coach to the president of the university could take the fall for this eventually. *These things have a way of turning into a witch hunt when terms like "lack of institutional control" inevitably start to be bandied about. *

These are the alleged actions of these individuals (they are not convicted, just inditements only), and are not reflective of assistant coaches and school administration. *You are way off base. *This does not change my opinion of SDSU in any way. *This is very unfortunate, but these actions are limited to those involved only. * A coach or individual may choose to move on so a page can be turned by the program, but you are off base in assigning accountability and responsibility on coaches and admin at sdsu.

+++++++

mebison
06-22-2006, 01:20 PM

These are the alleged actions of these individuals (they are not convicted, just inditements only), and are not reflective of assistant coaches and school administration. *You are way off base. *This does not change my opinion of SDSU in any way. *This is very unfortunate, but these actions are limited to those involved only. * A coach or individual may choose to move on so a page can be turned by the program, but you are off base in assigning accountability and responsibility on coaches and admin at sdsu.

I don't think Paulie was blaming anyone...just saying that these things sometimes come around and get coaches and administrators in trouble. There's a certain lacrosse coach looking for a job right now that would probably agree.

Paulie
06-22-2006, 03:40 PM

That sounds great from a soap box but the PC brigade doesn't follow that same logic. Just do some research on the situation at the University of Colorado where no indictments were ever handed out yet just the accusations of sexual assault lead to the downfall of the university president, chancellor, athletic director, and head football coach.

I'm not saying it will happen, most likely it won't, but the potential for a sh!t storm is there and it's a huge distraction until it's resolved.

BisonBacker
06-22-2006, 05:28 PM
According to Coach Nagy, one of the players has left SDSU after completing the spring semester, the other is still at the University awaiting the outcome. *Both were suspended and still are suspended from playing with the MBB team. *

Any person should be responsible for his/her own actions. *I don't think you can hold the coaches, administration, or university at fault for the unfortunate situation. *Just as you would not want to be help at fault by your peers if a member of your family made a grave mistake, the same should apply in this situation. *I am sure the concern and interest of the Athletic Dept. is constant, but the actions of individuals players cannot be controlled 24/7. *Hopefully justice is served in whatever way, and all parties can move on from such a terrible ordeal.
I agree with you 100% but the reality is it is still a huge blackeye to the university which is the bad part. *Nothing you can do about that but let time pass and move it to the history bin.

RodentiaX
06-29-2006, 05:35 PM
It is a black eye to SDSU certainly, but the issue is how does the school deal with it. SDSU didn't try to cover it up and that's a good sign. It's when schools try to hush up problems that you go down the dark side.

Paulie
06-29-2006, 08:07 PM
I don't think anyone knows what might or might not of been covered up. Look at Dave Bliss at Baylor. He was a well respected coach with a long track record. All of a sudden a crime occurs, he reacts, and suddenly he is trying to fabricate details around a murder. The situation as I remember it is that he was trying to circulate disinformation that the players involved in the homicide were drug dealers, this was caught on tape and the axe fell.

Obviously the prosecutor has some story to tell, will it only involve the three people mentioned or will it span further? Nobody knows until the trial, but to assume nobody else will be pulled into this sh!t storm is a bit naive I think.

89rabbit
06-29-2006, 09:54 PM
Paulie, you are reminding me of something . *. *. what is it? Oh yea!

http://www.moviejustice.com/images/movievault/jfk3.jpg

Back and to the left, back and to the left, back and to the left. Did someone at SDSU have something to do with the Kennedy assassination?

Your conspiracy theories are getting a little old. This event is very unfortunate and bad enough without you trying to smear people with your unsubstantiated innuendo. I respectfully ask you to stop. :-X

Bisonguy
06-29-2006, 10:17 PM
Paulie, you are reminding me of something . . . what is it? Oh yea!

http://www.moviejustice.com/images/movievault/jfk3.jpg

Back and to the left, back and to the left, back and to the left. Did someone at SDSU have something to do with the Kennedy assassination?

Your conspiracy theories are getting a little old. This event is very unfortunate and bad enough without you trying to smear people with your unsubstantiated innuendo. I respectfully ask you to stop. :-X

Settle down. Paulie has done nothing other than provide a possible scenario, one in which there is an established precident.

Bisonguy
06-29-2006, 10:42 PM
I'm not saying it will happen, most likely it won't, but the potential for a sh!t storm is there and it's a huge distraction until it's resolved.

Looks like he stated it's a possible scenario, and the statement was also backed up that with some precidents-

Just do some research on the situation at the University of Colorado where no indictments were ever handed out yet just the accusations of sexual assault lead to the downfall of the university president, chancellor, athletic director, and head football coach.

Look at Dave Bliss at Baylor.

89rabbit
06-29-2006, 10:54 PM
I couldn't disagree more. *Let's take a look at some of Paulie's posts.

These things have a way of turning into a witch hunt when terms like "lack of institutional control" inevitably start to be bandied about. *

Please show me any reputable source that has talked about "lack of institutional control" in regards to this unfortunate incident. *There must be one, after all this has been in the news since January when SDSU suspended the players in question.

* Just do some research on the situation at the University of Colorado where no indictments were ever handed out yet just the accusations of sexual assault lead to the downfall of the university president, chancellor, athletic director, and head football coach.

This is not accurate the University was embroiled in a Alcohol and Hooker incident involving their recruiting process well before the accusations of sexual assault came about. *Beyond that it was the question of how the Coach handled the accusations of sexual assault that were the issue. *It was the combo that brought people down. *Even then it took the Buffaloes getting killed in the Big XII Championship game for their coach's contract not to be renewed (there were also money concerns with his contract but I won't get into that). *Nothing like the incident in Brookings.

I don't think anyone knows what might or might not of been covered up. *Look at Dave Bliss at Baylor. *He was a well respected coach with a long track record. *All of a sudden a crime occurs, he reacts, and suddenly he is trying to fabricate details around a murder. * *

To try and equate what happened in Waco with what went on in Brookings is unconscionable and I won't dignify this outrage with a response. I'm sorry I won't back down on this. *Paulie is trying to stir something up here, for whatever reason, when their is no evidence what so ever to support his wild innuendo and I am calling him out on it and I am not the only one.

These are the alleged actions of these individuals (they are not convicted, just inditements only), and are not reflective of assistant coaches and school administration. *You are way off base. *This does not change my opinion of SDSU in any way. *This is very unfortunate, but these actions are limited to those involved only. *. *. *. *

89rabbit
06-29-2006, 11:01 PM
http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/382/safer.shtml

Feature: New Reform Group Targets Colorado Campuses with Referendums to Equalize Marijuana and Alcohol Violation Penalties

Colorado college campuses, and the University of Colorado at Boulder in particular, have garnered much unwelcome publicity in recent months because of alcohol-related incidents. CU has suffered the national humiliation of its powerhouse football team chasing recruits with booze and hookers, and at least five Colorado students died of alcohol overdoses last semester. Without a doubt, alcohol is a major concern in Boulder and other Colorado campus towns. . . .

Bisonguy
06-29-2006, 11:08 PM
Of course, you're entitled to your opinion just as much as Paulie is entitled to his.

Attack the argument as you did in your last two posts, not the poster.

89rabbit
06-30-2006, 12:49 AM
Trying to stir up something that isn’t there by posting unsubstantiated innuendo is wrong and I will call the poster out who does it.

Paulie
06-30-2006, 02:17 PM
89, I'm not trying to tear anyone down here or even suggest anyone was involved. *My only point, which I may have not done a good job in making, is that situations like this have in other instances lead to huge scandals in athletic departments. *Only once this is all resolved will it be safe to say it won't happen. *Until then the potential for a scandal is there. *I think it's unfair to just dismiss this as something that will have zero repercussions for the athletic department. *

Regarding the Colorado incident I brought that up as an example of how a witch hunt can snow ball. *Everything that came out in that scandal developed from a rape claim which didn't result in an arrest or indictment. *This incident has already involved both arrsts and indictments so it's has greater fuel in it's fire than even the Colorado situation did in the beginning *In your incident it's unknown at this point what university officials did in the days after the alleged rape occurred. Until that is know it's impossible to say nothing further will come of this.

89rabbit
06-30-2006, 03:43 PM
89, I'm not trying to tear anyone down here or even suggest anyone was involved. *My only point, which I may have not done a good job in making, is that situations like this have in other instances lead to huge scandals in athletic departments. *Only once this is all resolved will it be safe to say it won't happen. *Until then the potential for a scandal is there. *I think it's unfair to just dismiss this as something that will have zero repercussions for the athletic department. *

Regarding the Colorado incident I brought that up as an example of how a witch hunt can snow ball. *Everything that came out in that scandal developed from a rape claim which didn't result in an arrest or indictment. *This incident has already involved both arrsts and indictments so it's has greater fuel in it's fire than even the Colorado situation did in the beginning *In your incident it's unknown at this point what university officials did in the days after the alleged rape occurred. Until that is know it's impossible to say nothing further will come of this.

Paulie,

Did you not read the post about the alcohol and hookers used as part of the recruiting process at Colorado (proven, not allegations)? *That is what got people on the hot seat not the sexual assault allegations and how the coach handled them. *The Colorado case bears no similarity to anything that happened in Brookings.

What you are doing, would be very similar to me saying that heads could roll at NDSU because of the Andre Smith issue. *I mean we are talking about a kid who was recruited after he had already been convicted of a crime and then was arrested yet again in Fargo. *Iowa States Coach Larry Eustachy lost his job due to issues with controlled substances and look what happened up in Colorado with controlled substances and recruits. *I mean you guys must be worried our players have just been indicted yours was convicted and then was arrested again. *Situations like this have in other instances lead to huge scandals in athletic departments. *In your incident it's unknown at this point what university officials did in the days after he was convicted and still was recruited to come to Fargo and before and after he was arrested again. *Was their a cover up at NDSU? These things have a way of turning into a witch hunt when terms like "lack of institutional control" inevitably start to be bandied about. *People have lost their jobs over far less. *

Now with that said I don't think your Admin or coaching staff has anything to worry about as Andre's actions (or lack there of) were his own responsibility, but I could make a case using the Paulie model.

Paulie
06-30-2006, 06:56 PM
I understand your points and I wasn't trying to compare the exact details of the SDSU situation with the Colorado or Baylor situation I was simply using them as examples of how these things can snowball and cost people their jobs.

The first point I've been trying to make is that in some situations where the criminal justice system has become involved in college athletics things have blow up and cost people their jobs.

I don't think that point can be argued and I hope we can at least agree on that.

My other point is that until all the facts come out we won't know what will happen and until then it's something to be concerned about if for no other reason than as a negative PR incident.

If everyone else here besides 89 thinks I'm totally off base then I apologize if they have been offended but simply put I am of the opinion they have a powder keg on their hands and I won't back down on that.

Peace out homie…

89rabbit
06-30-2006, 07:36 PM
Fair enough, I can respect your opinion. *I don't see it, but I can respect it.

Let me ask you in all seriousness are you worried about your program? *I have given it some thought since my last posting and although I don’t think NDSU has a problem, I can see from a coaching and administrative standpoint your programs actions are worse then those of ours.

Hear me out. *Although the alleged actions of our two players are more serious then the actions of yours, the topic we are discussing is the reaction and culpability of the Administrations and Coaching staffs. *

After all our coach recruited two kids who by all known accounts have had no trouble with the law before they came to our University. *Once on campus they allegedly took action on their own time that has landed them in hot water. *Once that was done and the University became aware they were immediately suspended from the team to await the outcome of the investigation and justice system.

On the other hand, NDSU recruited a kid who was a convicted criminal who has since been arrested while a member of the NDSU basketball team.

Is it fair to say that someone who has already had a run in with the law is more likely to have additional troubles then someone who has never had issue with the U.S Legal system? *I don't know. *Did Coach Miles take a bigger chance by brining in an athlete with a past, vs. Coach Nagy who brought in two kids without a criminal past? *Maybe so. *

I am all for second chances and personal responsibility. *I don't see any fault with the action of either coach. *Although all the events in question have been an embarrassment to each of our Universities, I see no evidence to suggest that either Coaching staffs (or administrations) are culpable in the actions of their players. *If pressed, I would have to say that the NDSU program bears the heavier responsibility given their player's past, and that is just my opinion.

Peace out to you as well Paulie, we agree more then we disagree and I think you are a very good posters. *Please know that I mean nothing personal by my posts and bear no ill fillings towards you. *Have a nice weekend.

Bisonguy
06-30-2006, 07:40 PM
89- Paulie is not a fan of NDSU, he's a fan of Northern Colorado, so I doubt he really cares about what's going on with Andre Smith.

89rabbit
06-30-2006, 07:44 PM
89- Paulie is not a fan of NDSU, he's a fan of Northern Colorado, so I doubt he really cares about what's going on with Andre Smith.

Good to know that seems to explain the motivation. *It is surprising then that he didn't have a better understanding of the events at CU and how they differ fundementally from the events at SDSU. *Also a little disappointing, almost a board faux pa, to be stirring the pot about one school on another schools fan board when you are from a third school, don't you think? *Oh well I have said my piece.

Have a nice weekend everyone.

Paulie
06-30-2006, 07:53 PM

That's actually not true. I have connections to both NDSU and UNC and well as the University of Denver, Colorado State, and the University of Illinois.

Bisonguy
06-30-2006, 08:13 PM
Paulie- Sorry about that. :-[

But aren't you more of a UNC fan than a NDSU fan? :-?
I thought you stated a while back that you were, or you had your bachelor's from UNC-something along those lines.

Paulie
06-30-2006, 11:45 PM
That's correct I'm a UNC and CSU alum.

My mother is from Enderlin, ND and an NDSU alum. I spent every summer through the age of 15 and a few after that in ND but haven't been back since 1997. I've spent my fair share of time in the BSA and old Dakotah Field. That's my connect to the Bison and I'll always hold a soft spot for them and that is why I hang around this board.

SDSUFAN
07-12-2006, 12:36 PM

I have to agree with 89rabbit, the Colorado situation is by far more widespread in that it involved slush funds used to bring in unsavory activities. Not being an attorney or having any knowledge of Colorado law, I hesitate to say the activies were illegal. They *were certainly not in the best intersts of CU nor of that of perspective student athletes. Plus I have not taken time to study the chronology of events at CU. So dont have all the facts here. What I do know would be very upseting if I was very loyal to Colorado U as I am to SDSU.

I do recall reading a print version of the Rocky Mountain Times, the last time SDSU played UNC in football in Greeley, I believe Nov of 2004, a rather detailed feature article about how the Football incident had impacted the UC foundation. Apparently the slush funds were run through the foundation in order to give the donors tax deductions. Having done this a number of people in the foundation were also implicated and I believe certain board members resigned and so forth.

As unhappy as I am about the incident(s) of SDSU student athletes making the papers for the wrong reasons, I dont think we are not close to being in the same light as UC in comparablilty. I do hope SDSU will start to impress from day 1 how important it is that student athletes be aware that they represent the University and their behavior on and off the campus affects more people than themselves. Are our coaches accountable? I feel they are since they are suppose to determine who receives and who does not receive a letter of intent. They need to do all their home work on a perspective recruit. I am not certain how detailed they can be in doing background searches, but that is an area that needs to be explored. How the Andre Smith incident slipped through hands of the coaches at NDSU is kind of a mystery, but I would tend to believe Coach Miles and staff are probably trying to find out how and will be more careful in the future

When you have given several thousand dollars towards helping student athlete scholarships like I have, these people kind of become your family and they disappoint a bunch of people with off court behaviour for them to have their photos plastered all over the Sioux Falls Argus Leader. It seems to be ingratitude that they have acted in this manner and they have little reguard for those who are helping them with a free education.

How the current situation ends, we should know about a month and a half from now. I really dont want to comment until that time about the two bb players.

SDSU will be having a change of the guard January 1, 2007 in that we will get a new president. Rather than upset people on message boards about my personal frustrations, the new president will get an ear full from me. What he/she does with written my comment is up to them. *I do know there are a number of needy charities out there besides student athlete scholarships at SDSU.

Paulie, btw Enderlin is a great little community. I been there many times.

SDSUFAN
08-24-2006, 11:34 AM
Here is an update on what is happening in this case:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060822/NEWS02/608220329&SearchID=73254723267134

The defense attorney is seeking a delay in the trial until September and October. Hard to say what is going on. Some of my fellow Jack fans were yelling "Justice delayed is Justice denied." These things are a two way street. Oh well its all about winning basketball games.

Rabbitlivinginverm
08-24-2006, 03:53 PM
Here is an update on what is happening in this case:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060822/NEWS02/608220329&SearchID=73254723267134

The defense attorney is seeking a delay in the trial until September and October. Hard to say what is going on. Some of my fellow Jack fans were yelling "Justice delayed is Justice denied." *These things are a two way street. Oh well its all about winning basketball games.

Could there be some sort of plea agreement in the works? My hunch is there is, I doubt either side wants this nightmare to go to trial. Time will tell...

SDSUFAN
08-24-2006, 05:13 PM
Rabbit in Vermillion:
Since you are more familiar with how the court system works, you probably are right on the mark. I had this same conclusion. I suppose there could still be undiscovered evidence, but I hardly think this is a segment of Matlock unless the defense attorney has a Conrad out there checking things out. That too is possible. It was kind of interesting that Clyde Calhoun wasted no time in going to the Grand Jury once the DNA sameples came back from Pierre. I agree it might be better for SDSU if this case never comes to trial.

SDSUFAN
12-13-2006, 02:41 AM
Jury selection was on Monday and the trial started today, Tuesday. Here is an update on what happen the first day according to the Sioux Falls Argus Leader:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061212/NEWS03/61212027

89rabbit
12-14-2006, 10:11 PM
http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061214/NEWS/61214038

Former SDSU basketball player found not guilty of rape
Andre Gilbert is cleared on all four counts

By Monica LaBelle
PUBLISHED: December 14, 2006

Former South Dakota State University basketball player Andre Gilbert was found not guilty on all four counts stemming from an alleged rape of another student.

The jury deliberated for about four hours before coming to a verdict.

Andre Gilbert of Brooklyn Park, Minn., was charged with first-degree burglary and second- and third-degree rape in connection with an assault that allegedly occurred in a dorm room on the school’s Brookings campus Dec. 15, 2005.

The woman, an SDSU volleyball player, said Gilbert and another former basketball player entered her dorm room that night and raped her.

Gilbert and his family members all began crying after the vedict was read, while the alleged victim left the room immediately with no comment.

“We’re happy with the verdict,” said Gilbert’s attorney Justin Hyde.

Gilbert would not comment but his mother said it had been “a long year.”

Before deliberations began both sides urged the jury to use common sense.

“The principal motivating force ... is that he is seeking control and domination over that other person,” said Clyde Calhoon, state’s attorney for Brookings County.

He reminded the jury that her dorm room door was closed before Mohamed Berte and Gilbert entered and the alleged incident occurred.

“They were there because this defendent was going to have sex with (the alleged victim)and he was going to do whatever he could to accomplish that,” Calhoon said.
“Consensual? Lovely?,” Calhoon said. “It certainly was against (her) will,” he said.

Defense attorney Justin Hyde reminded the jury that the alleged victim’s gynecologist testified that in her exam four days after the alleged incident she did not report a rape, or show signs of bruising, rug burns or injury.

“I’d certainly never argue this is lovemaking.” Hyde said. “But that’s not what we’re here to decide.”

He told the jury there was no coercion or force involved. In a statement to police made in January, the student wrote quote “I tried to please him.”

Hyde said “those aren’t the words of someone being raped.” . . . (read more)

IowaBison
12-15-2006, 03:11 AM
I hope that justice was served and than everyone involved and SDSU can move on.

Four hours is pretty fast for a decision, must not have been much evidence on the side of the prosecution.

SDSUFAN
12-18-2006, 01:24 AM
I hope that justice was served and than everyone involved and SDSU can move on.

Four hours is pretty fast for a decision, must not have been much evidence on the side of the prosecution.

Yes I thought was pretty fast too, but in the opening statement the defense attorney made a big deal of pointing out the defendent was black and the community of Brookings nearly 20,000 was predominately white. The entire jury was white and they were reminded in a subtle manner to not pull some deep south thing here. I for one am not satisfied with the out come. Of course 89 rabbit will remind me that it is over and to move on. Okay, but if either Gilbert or Berte show up in a SDSU uniform, I am sending my season tickets back to the AD registered mail. Gilbert is going to some Juco so I would not be surprised to see Nagy give him another chance. Never mind the fact that the team turnovers when done when Gilbert was suspended. Gilbert may have won this rape case but he has done SDSU a lot of damage. Berte could be deported and I would not give a hoot.

89rabbit
12-18-2006, 03:55 AM
Since you called me out . *. *. *I always thought it was "innocent until proven guilty in a court of law" here in the USA. *I guess in your world it is "guilt even if proven innocent in a court of law". *:-/ *:-? *You are, of course, entitled to your opinions. *

Go State! *:)

SDSUFAN
12-19-2006, 02:57 AM
Okay so the jury found him not guilty, that does not mean innocent. If he was totally innocent the victim was a liar or some sort of a unearthly woman, who inticed Mr. Gilbert. *This is what the jury was telling me by the verdict. Never mind that a scholarship volleyball player was violated. Also the one volleyball team mate had been dismissed from the team for other reasons, found it convenient to testify against the victim, whereas the rest of the team including the coach urged the victim to bring charges. I still believe something really did happen that was a crime and those twelve people will have to live with their decision the rest of their lives. I won't.

I think what really saved Gilbert's rear was he never was put on the witness stand. A cross examination would have revealed the liar that Gilbert really was. I think he lied about his basketball ability too, especially in Fargo when we played NDSU Last year. ;D

carny
12-19-2006, 03:57 AM
I for one am not satisfied with the out come. Of course 89 rabbit will remind me that it is over and to move on. Okay, but if either Gilbert or Berte show up in a SDSU uniform, I am sending my season tickets back to the AD registered mail.

Don't let the door hit you in your pompous ass. Good riddance. Where can I make a donation to pay for your registered mail charges?

89rabbit
12-20-2006, 08:07 PM
http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061220/NEWS03/61220025

Charges dropped against second defendant in Brookings rape case

By wire reports
PUBLISHED: December 20, 2006

BROOKINGS – A prosecutor said today he has dropped charges against former South Dakota State University men’s basketball player Mohamed Berte now that another former player has been acquitted.

Charges of aiding and abetting second-degree rape, sexual contact and first-degree burglary have been dismissed against Berte, 23, of the Ivory Coast, said Clyde Calhoon, Brookings County state’s attorney. . . . (read more)

I for one am glad this long ordeal is over.

Go State! :)

SDSUFAN
12-21-2006, 12:47 PM
I for one am not satisfied with the out come. Of course 89 rabbit will remind me that it is over and to move on. Okay, but if either Gilbert or Berte show up in a SDSU uniform, I am sending my season tickets back to the AD registered mail.

Don't let the door hit you in your pompous ass. *Good riddance. *Where can I make a donation to pay for your registered mail charges? *

Looks like I will be holding on to my tickets, as neither of these two clowns are on campus. You can always contribute to the Jackrabbit Club.
Have a nice day :)