PDA

View Full Version : SDSU's New President and athletics

89rabbit
01-27-2007, 12:58 PM
Here is a story about SDSU's new President.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070127/SPORTS0202/701270306/1002/SPORTS

SDSU president: Sports important for growth

By Terry Vandrovec
tvandrovec@argusleader.com
Published: January 27, 2007

There are still bare screws on his office walls - David Chicoine is that new in his role as the president of South Dakota State University.

His plans for the school's athletic department remain largely general less than one month into his new appointment. But he brings a vast knowledge of Division I's inner workings to the SDSU challenge, having spent 11 years as the University of Illinois' faculty athletic representative to the Big Ten Conference and the NCAA.

What's more, he's been an athlete his whole life - track, baseball, basketball and football in high school and intramurals while a student at SDSU. Today, at age 59, he still possesses a svelteness that conveys athleticism.

Chicoine even came up with a sports analogy for his probable role in the SDSU athletic department, saying he might help design the playbook, act as a coach when necessary and, primarily, block downfield rather than carry the ball.

That doesn't mean he'll just be a rubber stamp for athletics. Rather, he has the experience and a genuine interest in how athletics can help the whole university.

"I think the athletic program can help achieve the aspirations of this institution," Chicoine said. "When I interviewed for this job it was clear all the stakeholders have very high aspirations for this institution and the momentum is really strong.

"I think a Division I athletic program is a complement and a mechanism by which those high aspirations can be achieved. ... Any chain is only as strong as its weakest link, so we need to have strength in our intercollegiate athletic programs." . . . (read more)

Go State! :)

BisBison
01-28-2007, 03:12 PM
Sounds like he gets it. Chapman and he will get along just fine I'm guessing, unlike the nearly departed from up north. ;D

IowaBison
01-29-2007, 01:44 PM
The guy is a grab and a half.

Alumni. R & D guy. Economist.

They hit the trifecta.

$300,000/year.

I think Chapman should be getting a raise.

OCBison
01-29-2007, 01:59 PM
Sounds like he gets it. Chapman and he will get along just fine I'm guessing, unlike the nearly departed from up north. ;D

Sounds like he gets it?

Far from it. He should do some research and he'll find out the truth about jumping into the big time of DI athletics.

Read these books:

"Unpaid Professionals" - Ricjard Zimbalist
"College Sports Inc." - Murray Sperber
"The Game of Life" - Shulman & Bowen
"Beer & Circus" - Murray Sperber

Flame away folks

89rabbit
01-29-2007, 04:25 PM

Sounds like he gets it?

Far from it. *He should do some research and he'll find out the truth about jumping into the big time of DI athletics.

Read these books:

"Unpaid Professionals" - Ricjard Zimbalist
"College Sports Inc." - Murray Sperber
"The Game of Life" - Shulman & Bowen
"Beer & Circus" - Murray Sperber

Flame away folks

Or maybe he could write a book on the subject if he chose to. *::) *OC, did you even read the Argus story? *:-?

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070127/SPORTS0202/701270306/1002/SPORTS

. *. *. *. *Those who worked with Chicoine at Illinois, where he was vice president for technology and economic development, say he helped accomplish those goals in a variety of ways during his time as faculty athletic rep, an appointment he received after impressing a colleague during shared jury duty. His role ranged from voting on NCAA bylaws, acting as the point person for NCAA investigations into rules infractions and evaluating the academic performance of student-athletes. He also chaired the Big Ten finance committee for nine years.

Kevin Weiberg, currently the commissioner of the Big 12 Conference, said that Chicoine was one of the best faculty athletic reps he worked with during nine years as a Big Ten officer. He called Chicoine an effective long-term planner and credited him with helping the Big Ten secure a new building for its headquarters and several major television contracts that raised revenue distribution.

"Intercollegiate athletics tends to be so visible that you really do have to have someone who has a feel for its importance, but also its appropriate role inside a higher education setting," Weiberg said. "That is why somebody like David, who comes from a background where he's been integrally involved, can start with an experience base many college presidents probably don't start with in that role."

When Ron Guenther was promoted to Illini athletic director in 1992, he sat down with Chicoine during the NCAA Convention in San Diego to develop a five-year strategic plan for the athletic department. He described Chicoine as an advocate for athletics, adding, "I can't think of a better university president for an athletic director or for a coach."

Terry Cole, then Illinois' assistant athletic director for academic services, said that Chicoine initiated the school's academic review system, which is used to evaluate the academic performances of student-athletes. Established in the early 1990s and still in place, the system holds athletes to standards that go beyond what's required by the NCAA. Cole called it "one of the best things we ever did."

"Dave supported athletics," Cole said, "but being that my focal point was academics, Dave was always a staunch supporter from that standpoint. Academics always comes first. I think he understood the balancing that the student athletes had to accomplish in order to be successful." *. *. *. *(read more)

Go State! *:)

IowaBisonToo
01-29-2007, 07:29 PM
Geez - OC! Why don't you take a downer? You're a little to optimistic for my liking. ::)

kchats
01-30-2007, 01:15 AM
OC is a bit wound up about NDSU's move to division I. She still isn't over the firing of Zaundra even though the volleyball program is head and shoulders above where it was last season. The players also actually looked like they were enjoying themselves this season.

sambini
01-30-2007, 06:01 AM
I bet he tool the job because of the COOKIES N CREAM ICE CREAM. Invented at SDSU LOOKING FORWARD TO SOME ON SATURDAY. ++++++++

OCBison
01-30-2007, 02:08 PM
OC is a bit wound up about NDSU's move to division I. *She still isn't over the firing of Zaundra even though the volleyball program is head and shoulders above where it was last season. *The players also actually looked like they were enjoying themselves this season.

All I'm saying is that you need to do some research into the matter before you drink the kool-aid. What you'll find is that the promised pot of gold at the end of the DI rainbow is more like a witch's cauldron.

IowaBison
01-30-2007, 02:26 PM
really, OC? I think the Bison are doing amazingly well.

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-31-2007, 12:40 PM
Yeah, all things considered it is going as well as could be hoped.