PDA

View Full Version : UND AD not acting professionally?

kchats
02-01-2007, 02:23 AM
I read on Bakken's Blog that Tom Bunning is in with the fans doing the sieve chant at hockey games and that he does pushups after touchdowns for the football team (while looking up at the videoscreen to see if he is on). That doesn't sound like the way an AD should carry himself.

http://www.areavoices.com/bakken/ It is the second one called "Sieve" that talks about it.

I have not seen Gene Taylor at NDSU games (I did see Bob Entzion and I know he was usually very reserved). What does Gene do at the games? My thoughts are he is probably a little bit of a fan but doesn't show emotion during the game and more after it is over. Those of you that see him at the games what do you think?

sambini
02-01-2007, 03:00 AM
He is usually on the sidelines. Giving a few words of encouragement.

roadwarrior
02-01-2007, 03:42 AM
Wow! Things must be slow down south if you are concerned about this!

2006gwfcchamps
02-01-2007, 12:44 PM
I suppose when there's nothing legitimate to complain about you just make something up.

RedRiver
02-01-2007, 01:22 PM
I suppose when there's nothing legitimate to complain about you just make something up.

Make what up? I agree with Bakken's opinion that Bunning's actions are an embarrassment. I also agree with Bakken's opinion that Bunning should show some decorum and dignity. Heck, you know Bunning's actions are a problem when UND coaches and players suggest they're tired of it.

Bison_Dan
02-01-2007, 01:30 PM
Who cares what Bakken thinks? I'm just glad they got him and we have Gene. * ;D

Mr._Bill
02-01-2007, 05:29 PM
I watched the Appalacian State President cheer leading and carrying on during APP's playoff run in Football. The thought that occured to me is . . . that guy is awesome.

If people are going to criticize an AD or a University President for unbridled enthsiasm for their university, they are idiots. As long as they are not engaging and any chants that would be considered in very poor taste, who cares. I wouldn't want to see our AD shouting "BS" chants at refs, but if and AD would be shout sieve at a goalie, not a big deal.

Leave bunning alone on this one folks . . . it is really no big deal. He is showing enthusiam for his school and that is a good things coming from ADs and Presidents.

TAILG8R
02-01-2007, 06:11 PM
I would have to say that ANY negative cheer or act would be an embarrassment. Chanting sieve is negative. For fans to chant sieve, I will admit is pretty tame. But it is negative, and for a school official to be involved in anything negative toward another institution is ameteurish. Especially singling out one kid in particular.

Shawn-O
02-01-2007, 06:56 PM
Buning is a high-energy, enthusiastic, passionate individual. He's a great guy. Style wise, he's the anti-Kupchella, and we are fortunate to have him on board as our athletic director.

IowaBison
02-01-2007, 07:20 PM
don't care who it is, the push-up thing in public is weird.

(one is often blind to weird things happening in their own camp)

westriverbison
02-01-2007, 09:55 PM
We complain about quiet fans at our games and complain about someone over 40 showing enthusiasim for another team? Kind of a double standard. If Chapman wants to dance with the cheerleaders who gives a crap. If Bunning wants to do pushups who cares. Any enthusiasim is good. Derogitory chants are perhaps out on the limb, but let them have fun at the games too. Maybe the rest of the crowd will catch on. Peer pressure works with retired folks also.

GFBisonFan
02-01-2007, 10:29 PM
I agree, the push ups are fine-at least he is enthusiastic and trying to connect with the students.

I have been to several hockey games and the students get very vulgar at the games. I suspect that he is trying to encourage non vulgar, offensive chants rather than the usual stuff you hear from the students. Just my opinion.

OCBison
02-01-2007, 10:33 PM
I read on Bakken's Blog that Tom Bunning is in with the fans doing the sieve chant at hockey games and that he does pushups after touchdowns for the football team (while looking up at the videoscreen to see if he is on). *That doesn't sound like the way an AD should carry himself.

http://www.areavoices.com/bakken/ *It is the second one called "Sieve" that talks about it.

I have not seen Gene Taylor at NDSU games (I did see Bob Entzion and I know he was usually very reserved). *What does Gene do at the games? *My thoughts are he is probably a little bit of a fan but doesn't show emotion during the game and more after it is over. *Those of you that see him at the games what do you think?

Come on. We all know why Entzion was down on the sidelines during the football games. Same reason he was busted in the park in Omaha.

02Bison
02-01-2007, 10:42 PM
Three little words...THIS IS PETTY!

sambini
02-01-2007, 11:17 PM
We complain about quiet fans at our games and complain about someone over 40 showing enthusiasim for another team? *Kind of a double standard. If Chapman wants to dance with the cheerleaders who gives a crap. *If Bunning wants to do pushups who cares. *Any enthusiasim is good. *Derogitory chants are perhaps out on the limb, but let them have fun at the games too. *Maybe the rest of the crowd will catch on. *Peer pressure works with retired folks also.
Well said ++

DIBISON
02-02-2007, 02:21 AM
I couldn't believe what I just read in Bakken's blog about this subject........

kchats
02-02-2007, 02:45 AM
Wow! *Things must be slow down south if you are concerned about this!

Where did I say anything bad in my post. I pointed out something Bakken wrote that was actually negative towards someone or something at UND. I merely posted it so those that had not seen it could read about it and I asked your opinion. I also asked what Gene Taylor does because my thought was he would be reserved. I think the topic is just as worthy as many of the others on this board. >:(

Shawn-O
02-02-2007, 03:15 AM
I dunno, "Favorite Smileys" is a pretty hard hitting topic. ;D ;D

Gully
02-02-2007, 11:33 AM
I read on Bakken's Blog that Tom Bunning is in with the fans doing the sieve chant at hockey games and that he does pushups after touchdowns for the football team (while looking up at the videoscreen to see if he is on). *That doesn't sound like the way an AD should carry himself.

http://www.areavoices.com/bakken/ *It is the second one called "Sieve" that talks about it.

I have not seen Gene Taylor at NDSU games (I did see Bob Entzion and I know he was usually very reserved). *What does Gene do at the games? *My thoughts are he is probably a little bit of a fan but doesn't show emotion during the game and more after it is over. *Those of you that see him at the games what do you think?

I always loved that one.
Come on. *We all know why Entzion was down on the sidelines during the football games. *Same reason he was busted in the park in Omaha.

RedRiver
02-02-2007, 01:15 PM
Wow! *Things must be slow down south if you are concerned about this!

Where did I say anything bad in my post. *I pointed out something Bakken wrote that was actually negative towards someone or something at UND. *I merely posted it so those that had not seen it could read about it and I asked your opinion. *I also asked what Gene Taylor does because my thought was he would be reserved. *I think the topic is just as worthy as many of the others on this board. >:(

I agree and am glad that you did post the article. I had no idea.........

WYOBISONMAN
02-04-2007, 06:48 AM
What he did may have been a bit over the line....but at least he is enthusiastic about the program.....

ndsubison
02-05-2007, 09:57 PM
I've been making fun of Buning since day 1 on the pushup thing. *The sieve thing, well I don't know anything about it but given what I've derived from the posts, it sounds rather juvenile. *While I can certainly appreciate his passion for his University and his attempts to, err, identify with the students, I still hold my AD to a higher level of conduct than that. *It's all great but when the novelty wears off you gotta draw the line somewhere. *I would personally be somewhat embarassed if Taylor or Chapman participated in such antics. *

Flanders
02-05-2007, 10:28 PM
I've been making fun of Buning since day 1 on the pushup thing. The sieve thing, well I don't know anything about it but given what I've derived from the posts, it sounds rather juvenile. While I can certainly appreciate his passion for his University and his attempts to, err, identify with the students, I still hold my AD to a higher level of conduct than that. It's all great but when the novelty wears off you gotta draw the line somewhere. I would personally be somewhat embarassed if Taylor or Chapman participated in such antics.

Not sure how Chapman entered this discussion? I wouldn't want/expect to see Kupchella acting this way either. But Lt. Col. Buning is another story. The "sieve" chant is a normal part of a hockey game. Some of you that are critical of Buning on this thread, where do you draw the line? Can he raise his hands over his head on a touchdown? How about if Gene Taylor does that? If NDSU had hockey, and if Gene Taylor did the "sieve" chant, I'd respect his enthusiasm. And so would you Bison fans. But since it's Buning, and UND, some of you have a problem with it. Completely disingenuous.

Tatanka
02-06-2007, 12:23 AM
So what about the "sportsmanship" speech given by the PA announcer right after the first period puck drop, where they say that any obsceneties, chants, etc. (can't recall the exact wording) directed at student athletes, coaches, or game officials will not be tolerated and is considered grounds for removal from the premesis? Suppose that doesn't apply to the AD? Or does singling out a student athlete on the opposing team after a goal is scored and calling him a sieve not count?

Whether or not the student section obeys this to the letter is one thing, but like it or not university officials are, or at least are at most places, held to a higher standard, or at least to the standard they try to enforce.

And yes, I'd point out the same hypocrisy if I saw Lynn Dorn or Gene Taylor (or Dr Joe for that matter) participating in that kind of activity.

That said, IMO this whole thread doesn't amount to a pepper shaker full of fly crap. Let's move on.

NorthernBison
02-06-2007, 12:43 PM
Something that needs to be emphasized here is that it wasn't a Bison fan that called Buning out on his behavior. It was Ryan Bakken. Furthermore, he commented that UND athletes were getting tired of the act. The opinion of Bison fans isn't what matters to Mr. Buning but the opinion of G.F. media and UND athletes should matter.

met1990
02-06-2007, 02:22 PM
The opinion of Bison fans isn't what matters to Mr. Buning but the opinion of G.F. media and UND athletes should matter.

I don't know if the Herald qualifies as media.

NorthernBison
02-06-2007, 02:57 PM
The opinion of Bison fans isn't what matters to Mr. Buning but the opinion of G.F. media and UND athletes should matter.

I don't know if the Herald qualifies as media.

No argument from me on that one. You do have to admit that Bakken is pretty pro-UND though. That lends a little weight to his comments.

ndsubison
02-07-2007, 02:35 PM
I've been making fun of Buning since day 1 on the pushup thing. *The sieve thing, well I don't know anything about it but given what I've derived from the posts, it sounds rather juvenile. *While I can certainly appreciate his passion for his University and his attempts to, err, identify with the students, I still hold my AD to a higher level of conduct than that. *It's all great but when the novelty wears off you gotta draw the line somewhere. *I would personally be somewhat embarassed if Taylor or Chapman participated in such antics. *

Not sure how Chapman entered this discussion? *I wouldn't want/expect to see Kupchella acting this way either. *But Lt. Col. Buning is another story. *The "sieve" chant is a normal part of a hockey game. *Some of you that are critical of Buning on this thread, where do you draw the line? *Can he raise his hands over his head on a touchdown? *How about if Gene Taylor does that? *If NDSU had hockey, and if Gene Taylor did the "sieve" chant, I'd respect his enthusiasm. *And so would you Bison fans. *But since it's Buning, and UND, some of you have a problem with it. *Completely disingenuous.

If Taylor held his hands up in a "TD" gesture I would have no problem with that. If he participated in a "sieve" chant or did pushups, I would be embarassed. There's often a fine line between enthusiasm and acting like a 50 yr old idiotic frat-boy wannabe. Code of conduct, professionalism, call it what you want.........................

Flanders
02-07-2007, 06:30 PM
You're entitled to your opinion. I disagree. I know him. He's a good man. And to be sure, one headline you will never see is "UND A.D. grabs cop in crotch". If push-ups and the sieve chant are his biggest transgressions, then roll with it.

Scooter
02-07-2007, 07:06 PM
I dunno, "Favorite Smileys" is a pretty hard hitting topic. *;D ;D

If you aren't going to be serious...stay off the board. Oh, wait a second.... :D

NorthernBison
02-07-2007, 08:36 PM
You're entitled to your opinion. *I disagree. *I know him. *He's a good man. *And to be sure, one headline you will never see is "UND A.D. grabs cop in crotch". *If push-ups and the sieve chant are his biggest transgressions, then roll with it.

You better be careful throwing that around. There's still plenty of questions about where the individual to whom you refer learned the trade. Eh? Best leave that one alone, don't you think?

insane_ponderer
02-07-2007, 09:10 PM
You're entitled to your opinion. *I disagree. *I know him. *He's a good man. *And to be sure, one headline you will never see is "UND A.D. grabs cop in crotch". *If push-ups and the sieve chant are his biggest transgressions, then roll with it.

You better be careful throwing that around. *There's still plenty of questions about where the individual to whom you refer learned the trade. *Eh? Best leave that one alone, don't you think?

Flanders is just upset that he wasn't the cop in question. *;D

Shawn-O
02-07-2007, 11:29 PM

http://www.russrestaurants.com/images/plus-sign.jpghttp://www.russrestaurants.com/images/plus-sign.jpg
http://www.russrestaurants.com/images/plus-sign.jpghttp://home.comcast.net/~shawnb99/staff_muttley.gifhttp://home.comcast.net/~shawnb99/staff_muttley.gifhttp://home.comcast.net/~shawnb99/staff_muttley.gif

ndsubison
02-08-2007, 01:35 AM
When did Roger Thomas grab a cop by the crotch? *I guess it doesn't surprise me. ;) He always was a degenerate.