PDA

View Full Version : SD Board of Regents giving green light to USD move

Mid-Con_Jack
12-12-2006, 03:36 AM
The SD Board of Regents are meeting for a couple of days and clearly are giving the green light (no surprise) to USD's move to DI.

USD's supporters say they're looking into joining the Mid-Con and Great West Football Conference...they're talking as if it's their decision and not the conferences'. (Reminds me a bit of the SDSU and NDSU supporters who thought we'd just waltz in to the Big Sky.) Well, USD is in for a few years of being out in the cold while they're in transition.

kchats
12-12-2006, 03:40 AM
Oh but you are wrong there. They are so much better than NDSU and SDSU conferences have lined up outside their president's office waiting for them to sign the conference membership papers. I believe the conferences have stated we can't wait to get a team from Vermillion, South Dakota in our conference. To top it all off we might luck into a team from Grand Forks, North Dakota with a nice hockey arena, even though it doesn't factor into any of our conference sponsored sports. ;)

IowaBisonToo
12-12-2006, 01:56 PM
I heard on the TV news last night that USD has to pump up their budget by $2MM to make this work. The President was assuring everybody that tuition and fees would not go up as well as not receiving any extra support from the state - basically easing the minds of those that would think this the case (similar to what UND was spouting in their attempt to derail the NDSU move).

WOW!!!!!! $2MM into USD from their boosters. They better hope Tom Brokaw is a big sports fan! ::) All I can say is they better take as many ass-whoppings in football as they can from the big-time schools in order to balance that athletic budget.

89rabbit
12-12-2006, 02:27 PM
Our good friends from USD went to to SD Board of Regents after we anounced that we would be moving to D-I and helped/pushed to create rules that spell out that a South Dakota school wishing to move to D-I, can not raise fees or ask for additional monies from the state. They thought that would stop us dead in our tracks, now it has come full circle and is going to bite them in the butt. Basically they have been hoisted by their own petard. ;D ;D ;D Good luck Coyotes, you are going to need it.

Go State! :)

mikelsch
12-12-2006, 03:30 PM
What would be really funny (more-so to the Jacks) is if the Mid-Con took Utah Valley and UND, and left USD out in the cold.

89rabbit
12-12-2006, 03:55 PM
I think their is a chance that the Mid-Con might take Utah Valley State (who is talking about adding football) and SIU-Edwardsville this would leave no room for either*UND or USD.

Another school that is talking about moving up is Oklahoma City University, and of course Texas Pan American is still looking for a home. Bottom line IF the Mid-Con chooses to expand, down the road, they will have lots of schools to choose from.

Go State! *:)

IowaBisonToo
12-12-2006, 04:43 PM
What would be really funny (more-so to the Jacks) is if the Mid-Con took Utah Valley and UND, and left USD out in the cold.
How 'bout Utah Valley and USD? ;D ;D ;D

Actually, if either of the UXDs are left hung out to dry by the Mid-Con, etc., I think the Big Sky would definitely look at adding just the one.

2006gwfcchamps
12-12-2006, 04:59 PM
The Big Sky may be looking at UVSC too.

DenverBison05
12-12-2006, 05:39 PM
I dont think the Big Sky will look at UVSU unless they add football, and then academics might also play a part (alla SUU). However, I think the next time the mid-con looks at expansion, i think UVSU will get a long hard look. Their athletic programs have been doing really well. They have the second best independant mens basketball team, and their women's team isnt far behind either. I think it is more likely that the Mid-con would choice UVSU over both UND and USD. UVSU gives SUU a travel partner and the XDSUs already have each other for a travel partner so it only makes sense. I think if SIU-E moves up they are a lock with their geography and how well their basketball program has been in D2.

2006gwfcchamps
12-12-2006, 06:23 PM
Everything you said makes perfect sense if SUU doesn't ever leave the Mid Con.

SUU has been pining for the Big Sky ever since the moved DI. They may get their wish as the Big Sky needs to add a 10th basketball playing member for scheduling sooner rather than later.

If SUU leaves, UVSC will not get into the Mid Con. Already too much travel.

89rabbit
12-12-2006, 06:26 PM
I posted this over on the Jackrabbit board:

The thing that the USD faithful and South Dakota media need to keep in mind is although it makes perfect sense in their worlds to have USD and SDSU in the same conference, does it make sense in the minds of the Mid-Con Presidents.

Keep in mind IF the Mid-Con chooses to expand (and that is a pretty big if) some day, they will have lots of schools to choose from. Each will bring its own advantages and disadvantages here are a short list that I can think of off the top of my head.

UND - close to NDSU
USD - close to SDSU
Utah Valley State - close to Southern Utah
Oklahoma City University - close to Oral Roberts
SIU-Edwardsville - in the heart of Mid-Con Country and close to St. Louis
Texas-Pan American - Est. D-I school sort of close to Centenary

It is really too bad that so many members of the media spent so much time poo pooing our move to D-I that they didn't have time to pay attention to how things work or learn anything about the processes involved. Oh well I guess they will learn their lessons 4 years later when they watch USD go though the process.

Who knows maybe USD and UND will get into the Mid-Con, but the one thing I know for sure is, that it won't be as easy as many seem to think it is going to be. Good luck to our former NCC brethren in their hunt for a conference home, I think they are going to need it.

Go State! :)

imabison
12-12-2006, 07:54 PM
I posted this over on the Jackrabbit board:

The thing that the USD faithful and South Dakota media need to keep in mind is although it makes perfect sense in their worlds to have USD and SDSU in the same conference, does it make sense in the minds of the Mid-Con Presidents.

Keep in mind IF the Mid-Con chooses to expand (and that is a pretty big if) some day, they will have lots of schools to choose from. *Each will bring its own advantages and disadvantages here are a short list that I can think of off the top of my head.

UND - close to NDSU
USD - close to SDSU
Utah Valley State - close to Southern Utah
Oklahoma City University - close to Oral Roberts
SIU-Edwardsville - in the heart of Mid-Con Country and close to St. Louis
Texas-Pan American - Est. D-I school sort of close to Centenary

It is really too bad that so many members of the media spent so much time poo pooing our move to D-I that they didn't have time to pay attention to how things work or learn anything about the processes involved. *Oh well I guess they will learn their lessons 4 years later when they watch USD go though the process.

Who knows maybe USD and UND will get into the Mid-Con, but the one thing I know for sure is, that it won't be as easy as many seem to think it is going to be. *Good luck to our former NCC brethren in their hunt for a conference home, I think they are going to need it.

Good points, if you recall when Tom Douple was doing the Mid Con trip, they specifically mentioned teams that were against the D1 moves and their stories were documented and READ.

Bison_Dan
12-12-2006, 08:38 PM
[/quote]

Good points, if you recall when Tom Douple was doing the Mid Con trip, they specifically mentioned teams that were against the D1 moves and their stories were documented and READ. [/quote]

I wonder if und and usd think they have a friend in Mr. Douple? I know for a fact that he and Gene Taylor are very good friends. I'm sure he knows about the sh$t that both have pulled on NDSU & SDSU and has mentioned this very fact.

Bisonguy
12-13-2006, 02:53 AM
I wonder if und and usd think they have a friend in Mr. Douple? *I know for a fact that he and Gene Taylor are very good friends. *I'm sure he knows about the sh$t that both have pulled on NDSU & SDSU and has mentioned this very fact. *

You mean Douple's "...while others were slinging arrows" quote could have been a quip targeted at a specific university? *:o :o :o

DIBISON
12-16-2006, 08:04 PM
One advantage that USD has is their geograhpic location, it fits conferences much better than some of the other schools that will be moving up to DI with them.

89rabbit
01-22-2007, 08:30 PM
A couple of stories about USD President Abbott in the Sioux Falls Argus Leader yesterday. *While you won't really read anything new I do think his interest (or lack there of) in athletics is evident (doesn't make him bad or anything) and helps explain why we are where we are and why they are where they are.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070121/SPORTS0203/701210302/1002

A D-I Journey and its leader
USD President Abbott realistic about challenges

http://cmsimg.argusleader.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=DF&Date=20070121&Category=SPORTS0203&Ar tNo=701210302&Ref=AR&Profile=1002&MaxW=290

By Mick Garry
mgarry@argusleader.com
Published: January 21, 2007

University of South Dakota President Jim Abbott is the guiding force behind the school's recent decision to reclassify its athletics program into Division I. Abbott sat down with Argus Leader sports writer Mick Garry this past week for a discussion of all things athletics, the Coyotes future in Division I and how he came to make the D-I decision. *. *. *. *(read more)

Story Number 2:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070121/SPORTS0203/701210338/1002

Abbott has grown into sports leader role

By Mick Garry
mgarry@argusleader.com
Published: January 21, 2007

University of South Dakota president Jim Abbott came to his post in 1997 having established himself as a businessman, politician, teacher and lawyer.

Nowhere in there was the label sports fan.

"When I got here I didn't know the difference between a football and a basketball," Abbott said, joking. "I also thought we had a hockey team." *. *. *. *(read more)

Like I said, sounds like Abbott is an ok guy, he just wasn't interested in athletics. *Glad we had President Miller and have President Chicoine and Dr. Oien.

P.S. *What is up with the creepy bottom lit picture? *:-? :-/

Trimmy
01-22-2007, 08:54 PM
That is creepy. Also, he's ginormous. Look at his size compared to that football helmet! ;)

SDbison
01-22-2007, 09:09 PM
Nice toy sized helmet. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
He must not be much of a fan if he doesn't have an actual helmet in his office.

SDbison
01-22-2007, 09:16 PM
I like this quote from the second article:
"In this case there was a particular decision that made all the difference in the world," Abbott said. "And that was UND. When UND said 'We're going,' the NCC was gone. At that point, it didn't matter what I thought. We either step up or we step down."
Nice proactive decision making. Leader my A$$. I think USD is making a big mistake going D1, but every conference has to have a doormat team so I guess it will be OK. Hopefully they, along with UND, never get in the same conference as NDSU and SDSU. Maybe NDSU can schedule USD for warm up games in the future.

TransAmBison
01-23-2007, 12:11 PM
Nice toy sized helmet. *;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
He must not be much of a fan if he doesn't have an actual helmet in his office. *
With their athletic budget, I wouldn't be so sure that is a "toy" helmet! :)

ndsubison
01-23-2007, 12:54 PM
That is creepy. *Also, he's ginormous. *Look at his size compared to that football helmet! *;)

Are all the USD football helmets that small? If so, DI should be a rude awakening for them. :-? ;D ;)

ndsubison
01-23-2007, 01:00 PM
I like this quote from the second article:
"In this case there was a particular decision that made all the difference in the world," Abbott said. "And that was UND. When UND said 'We're going,' the NCC was gone. At that point, it didn't matter what I thought. We either step up or we step down."
Nice proactive decision making. *Leader my A$$. *I think USD is making a big mistake going D1, but every conference has to have a doormat team so I guess it will be OK. *Hopefully they, along with UND, never get in the same conference as NDSU and SDSU. * Maybe NDSU can schedule USD for warm up games in the future. *

Not knowing the difference between a football and a basketball, thinking they had a hockey team, and basing your decision on UND's decision to move up? Yeah, sounds like the type of "leader" I'd want to lead my university into DI. Wow. Just reinforces my opinion that USD should follow UNO to the MIAA. I understand that he wants to be a "peer" to UND but c'mon--is there anybody else left out there who wants to lead by example??? I guess it's safer to let somebody else test the waters before you dip your toes in. Not impressed ::)

Paulie
01-23-2007, 02:34 PM
Hey, did anyone notice the helmet is small! What an idiot having a small helmet in a picture!

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-23-2007, 03:45 PM
Both UND and USD are going to have a rough go of it in D-I, but I think USD is kind of going into the transition without knowing what the heck they are doing. They are basically just making the move because everyone else is, not because it is a good idea of the school.

SDbison
01-23-2007, 04:08 PM
Hey, did anyone notice the helmet is small! *What an idiot having a small helmet in a picture! *
SmartA$$?

filbert
01-23-2007, 09:52 PM
Both UND and USD are going to have a rough go of it in D-I, but I think USD is kind of going into the transition without knowing what the heck they are doing. They are basically just making the move because everyone else is, not because it is a good idea of the school.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there, unfortunately.

2006gwfcchamps
01-23-2007, 10:44 PM
The only non DI public flagship universities left after 2003 were UA, UND, and USD. It seems fitting that they moved up.

BisBison
01-23-2007, 11:44 PM
The only non DI public flagship universities left after 2003 were UA, UND, and USD. It seems fitting that they moved up.

It SEEMS fitting but is it???

rabidrabbit
01-23-2007, 11:54 PM
Yes, the Mo River 'yotes will probably be chewing their own behinds for quite a while. ;)

Be interesting to see how long it takes them to get up to full football schollies with the no added fees or state support that they pushed thru trying to keep SDSU in the NCC. ;D ;D

The Yotes have a long ways to get there, and a pretty sad (no?) plan to get to success. :o

BisBison
01-23-2007, 11:57 PM
Yes, the Mo River 'yotes will probably be chewing their own behinds for quite a while. * ;)

Be interesting to see how long it takes them to get up to full football schollies with the no added fees or state support that they pushed thru trying to keep SDSU in the NCC. * ;D ;D

The Yotes have a long ways to get there, and a pretty sad (no?) plan to get to success. :o

Like I always say, "what goes around comes around". They made their bed now let them sleep in it. SOMEONE HELP ME!!! I'm running out of cliches'. ;D ;D

2006gwfcchamps
01-24-2007, 01:05 AM
It'd be cool if Alaska could get FCS football.

Paulie
01-24-2007, 02:19 PM

Yes, it literally would be cool, it's cold as %^&* up there. *No thanks. *:-[

2006gwfcchamps
01-24-2007, 02:25 PM
They'd have to play in a dome, I'd think.

Also, it gets up to 90 in Fairbanks in the summer.

Junior
01-24-2007, 04:07 PM

Yes, it literally would be cool, it's cold as ^&*( up there. *No thanks. *:-[

Is that type of language really necessary?

BisBison
01-24-2007, 05:36 PM

Yes, it literally would be cool, it's cold as ^&*( up there. *No thanks. *:-[

Is that type of language really necessary?

+++++++++++++ my kid reads this board as well.

roadwarrior
01-24-2007, 09:16 PM
Fixed

TheDoctor
02-10-2007, 08:51 PM
Fixed

Nice fill warrior! :D