PDA

View Full Version : Great West will add 2 in 09

Bison_Dan
02-16-2007, 12:28 PM
http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/156697

I wonder what usd & und will do for 2008? ;D ;D

rabidrabbit
02-16-2007, 12:39 PM
Like most 1st year transitionals, likely to have lots of D-II's (or lower nonD-I's) for 4 home games, and spread out D-I games where they can find them.

Heck, I'll bet Montana or Montana St. would sign a 2-for-1 home home, and proceed to buy out the return game! ;)

Bison_Dan
02-16-2007, 12:48 PM
Like most 1st year transitionals, likely to have lots of D-II's (or lower nonD-I's) for 4 home games, and spread out D-I games where they can find them.

Heck, I'll bet Montana or Montana St. would sign a 2-for-1 home home, and proceed to buy out the return game! *;)

At lease Gene & SDSU planned ahead and got a conference started for our first year. und & usd are just following our coattails (as usual). It'll be fun to see their 2008 schedule for each school and we'll have a Gateway schedule. ;D

WYOBISONMAN
02-16-2007, 02:26 PM

Heck, I'll bet Montana or Montana St. would sign a 2-for-1 home home, and proceed to buy out the return game! *;)

I bet if you aske Star2city he will tell you that would never happen because UND is a shoo in for the Big Sky...... and the Sky would never screw over a prospective mate!!;D

No more mushrooms for the pizzas in Grand Forks.......it makes them see things!!! ;D

BisonCardinal
02-16-2007, 02:48 PM
Seriously, why is the Great West waiting until 2009 to add members? You can tell me all about being a counter, etc, but when you are down to 3 members, you need numbers. It seems to me it would be better to have 5 members with 2 being "transitional".

DenverBison05
02-16-2007, 06:08 PM
Seriously, why is the Great West waiting until 2009 to add members? *You can tell me all about being a counter, etc, but when you are down to 3 members, you need numbers. *It seems to me *it would be better to have 5 members with 2 being "transitional".

Im sure the example of what happened to Cal Poly (9-2) in 2004 is a big reason. *The fact of the matter is that by playing 2 non-counter you still have to win 7 more games even to be eligible for the play-offs, and Im sure UCD and Cal Poly dont want to be forced into playing teams that will hurt their play-off chances. *

Edit**: I should make it clear, that Cal Poly was 9-2 and didn't make it into the playoffs because 2 of their wins were against NDSU and SDSU.

IowaBison
02-16-2007, 06:27 PM
+++

Apparently there are a lot of folks who don't know that..........

sambini
02-16-2007, 07:02 PM
hmm didn't know that thanks++++

NDSUFREAK10
02-16-2007, 09:37 PM

Heck, I'll bet Montana or Montana St. would sign a 2-for-1 home home, and proceed to buy out the return game! ;)

OHHH, wouldnt that just be sweet! But if they do return that game..........heads will roll.

Hambone
02-16-2007, 09:44 PM
If/when the XDSU's get into the Gateway for the 2008 year, do you think the Great West will add the UXD's for 2008 instead of 2009?

Bisonguy
02-16-2007, 09:55 PM

I bet if you aske Star2city he will tell you that would never happen because UND is a shoo in for the Big Sky...... and the Sky would never screw over a prospective mate!!;D

No more mushrooms for the pizzas in Grand Forks.......it makes them see things!!! ;D

LOL- those meetings with Fullerton in the men's bathroom of the Hillsboro Cenex must not have gone too well...

Looks like the "gentlemen's agreement" is a myth, as well.

Hammersmith
02-16-2007, 10:52 PM
Two little comments. First, I don't believe the 7 DI win rule was in place back when Cal Poly got snubbed. Back then I think the qualifications were based on how many losses you had, not how many wins. Cal Poly got screwed because of their perceived weak strength of schedule(4 transitionals - UC Davis, UNC, SDSU, NDSU). Second, I have no doubts that the GWFC will add the UxDs in 2008 if the xDSUs are invited into the Gateway unless the two potential western schools join. If Grom gets both of them(whomever they are), then back to 2009 for the UxDs.

IowaBison
02-16-2007, 11:50 PM
I don't see for a second the Great West conference adding UND and USD in 2008 due to the their DII status.

You might as well count those as losses right off the bat in the eye of the selection committee. Why would any school want to do that to themselves.

Hammersmith
02-17-2007, 12:24 AM
Why would any school want to do that to themselves.
Desperation. A 3 team conference would be less than a scheduling alliance, it would be a joke. 9 games to schedule? I'd bite the bullet and take the Dakota U's.

Bisonguy
02-17-2007, 12:40 AM
Two little comments. First, I don't believe the 7 DI win rule was in place back when Cal Poly got snubbed. Back then I think the qualifications were based on how many losses you had, not how many wins. Cal Poly got screwed because of their perceived weak strength of schedule(4 transitionals - UC Davis, UNC, SDSU, NDSU). Second, I have no doubts that the GWFC will add the UxDs in 2008 if the xDSUs are invited into the Gateway unless the two potential western schools join. If Grom gets both of them(whomever they are), then back to 2009 for the UxDs.

The seven win rule was not in effect, but the DI Philosophy Statement and "more consideration will be given to teams with an exclusively DI schedule" were most certainly in effect.

It was stated on AGS by someone "in the know" that the "more consideration will be given to teams with an exclusively DI schedule" was the factor that hurt Cal-Poly.

kchats
02-17-2007, 02:07 AM
NDSU and SDSU will probaby schedule UC-Davis and Cal-Poly in 2008 if in the Gateway. It would be better to play FCS schools all on the road than to play two division II teams. At least your schedule wouldn't prevent you from making the playoffs.

IowaBison
02-17-2007, 03:23 AM
Why would any school want to do that to themselves.
Desperation. A 3 team conference would be less than a scheduling alliance, it would be a joke. 9 games to schedule? I'd bite the bullet and take the Dakota U's.

It still makes no sense. Those games in the eyes of selection committee are as good as losses.

Why not schedule 2-3 Pac-10, WAC, BCS games? You'd get $$$, a possible-countable win, and not have to visit Vermillion, SD.

rabidrabbit
02-26-2007, 09:59 PM
NDSU and SDSU will probaby schedule UC-Davis and Cal-Poly in 2008 if in the Gateway. *It would be better to play FCS schools all on the road than to play two division II teams. *At least your schedule wouldn't prevent you from making the playoffs.

SDSU already has agreements for games in '08 vs
Iowa St
Nichols St.
McNeese St.
SFA

That we'd have to break to play Poly/UCD/SUU

In '09 -
U of Mn
GaSouthern

so one open game slot.

bincitysioux
02-27-2007, 12:58 AM
NDSU and SDSU will probaby schedule UC-Davis and Cal-Poly in 2008 if in the Gateway. *It would be better to play FCS schools all on the road than to play two division II teams. *At least your schedule wouldn't prevent you from making the playoffs.

Iowa St
Nichols St.
McNeese St.
SFA

So I am I right to assume that SDSU would have to buy-out one of those four games if you guys are accepted into the Gateway for 2008?

Bisonguy
02-27-2007, 01:05 AM

Iowa St
Nichols St.
McNeese St.
SFA

So I am I right to assume that SDSU would have to buy-out one of those four games if you guys are accepted into the Gateway for 2008?

12 games are allowed in 2008, 2013, 2014, and 2019.

DORMIE
03-02-2007, 09:59 PM
We have a game scheduled for Sept. 5 2009 in Ames, IA with Iowa State. With
Cal Poly and UC Davis or Southern Utah, I guess UND has to wait until 2010.

IowaBisonToo
03-03-2007, 02:20 PM
We have a game scheduled for Sept. 5 2009 in Ames, IA with Iowa State. *With
:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( ;)

BisBison
03-03-2007, 02:24 PM

that's why its called transition HELL, Dormie. I say let'm have their share of it before even considering playing them. Maybe it will build them some character. ::)

ndsubison
03-03-2007, 07:08 PM

that's why its called transition HELL, Dormie. I say let'm have their share of it before even considering playing them. Maybe it will build them some character. ::)

Adversity doesn't build character. *It reveals it. *

Disclaimer: for those of you who are confused or have further questions, please call Miss Cleo at 1-800-VICTIM.

Mr._Bill
03-04-2007, 02:26 AM

Will the sioux really have to work during this transition? Can't some rich donor make everything better?

TheDoctor
03-04-2007, 04:22 AM
:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( ;)
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

ndsubison
03-04-2007, 05:36 PM

Will the sioux really have to work during this transition? *Can't some rich donor make everything better?

:DExcellent :D
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

bincitysioux
03-05-2007, 11:48 PM

12 games are allowed in 2008, 2013, 2014, and 2019.

Thanks for the clarification, I remember something about that now. Why was that again, though? Something about Labor Day and number of Saturdays before playoffs start?

Hammersmith
03-06-2007, 03:09 AM
17.11.5.1 Maximum Limitations — Institutional. [I-A/I-AA] In Divisions I-A, a member institution
shall limit its total regular-season playing schedule with outside competition during the permissible
football playing season in any one year to 12 contests (games or scrimmages), except as provided
for member institutions located in Alaska and Hawaii, under Bylaw 17.31.2, and except as provided
for all members under Bylaw 17.11.5.2. In Divisions I-AA, a member institution shall limit
its total regular-season playing schedule with outside competition during the permissible football
playing season in any one year to 11 contests (games or scrimmages), except as provided for member
institutions located in Alaska and Hawaii, under Bylaw 17.31.2, and except as provided for all
members under Bylaw 17.11.5.2. Twelve football contests shall be permissible during those years
in which there are 14 Saturdays from the first permissible playing date through the last playing
date in November (2008, 2013, 2014 and 2019).