PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky, geography and the UxDs........

WYOBISONMAN
03-08-2007, 09:29 PM
As all this conference moving is taking place I am left to wonder what the next move for the Big Sky will be. Obviously the Big Sky blundered in HUGE fashion by turning down the xDSUs. I like McFeely's term of "Geographical Arrogance" because that very well describes the attitude of the Big Sky Presidents. And, no questions the xDSUs have turned that little encounter with "geographical arrogance" into some of the sweetest lemonade that has ever been made from something sour.

So, will that geographical arrogance again have the Big Sky shooting itself in the foot? Will the UxDs get a NO from the Sky because they are not in the geographic footprint of the conference? I would be money that the gun will be loaded and pointed at the foot. The Big Sky will get a second chance at picking up quality programs of flagship institutions and I would bet that the Sky would take Southern Utah over the UxDs. The push from the Portland States, Sac States and Northern Arizona Universities will be too strong and the Big Sky will make the same mistake twice.

bincitysioux
03-08-2007, 09:36 PM
I fear the exact same thing :-/ . History would show us that if the Big Sky does have intentions of going to 10 teams, that SUU has to be the front runner, due to geography alone. They should have learned a lesson when they scoffed at the xDSU's, but odds are they probably didn't.

BigBison
03-08-2007, 09:46 PM
i agree, if the Big Sky is looking for 10 teams SUU should be on the top of the list. It would really help SUU out, there travel for the Mid-Con is insane.

NDSUstudent
03-09-2007, 04:08 AM
UXD schools need one of the west coast schools to leave, that way they can add both of them and go to 10. Who knows if that will ever happen but in its current make-up the Big Sky will never add the UXD's.

BigBison
03-09-2007, 04:28 AM
what should happen is that they should break up the Big Sky, and merge it with the great west, so that you would have Cal Poly, UC Davis, Portland State, East Wash, North Arizona, Sac State and Idaho State. Then have, Montana, Montana State, N Colorado, UND, USD, Weber State, and SUU in the big sky. One would be like the Pac-10 of FCS and the Mountain West or WAC of FCS and the Gateway would be like the Big Ten of FCS.

sambini
03-10-2007, 04:44 AM
I could see that happenig? Does Utah Valley have football?

Mr._Bill
03-10-2007, 02:31 PM
Not yet, just 30,000 students and some motivated people to start it up.

IowaBisonToo
03-10-2007, 08:40 PM
From what I've seen/read, the Sky will take teams located in the Mountain and West time zones. Regardless of what it does to the conference RPIs for basketball or how it might cause a perceived decline in competition for football. That's just how I see it going down. It doesn't matter how much the UND fans think their palace will make the Sky guys change their minds, I think vocally, the people from MT and MT St will say one thing and maybe vote another. At the very least, PSU and Sac St will not want the UXDs in the conference.

filbert
03-13-2007, 08:13 PM
I'd just gently remind our U brothers that we too thought at one time that the Big Sky was a natural fit for our Land-Grant institutions.

We were wrong.

Thankfully.

BisonMav
03-14-2007, 09:32 PM
Some members of the NCC blundered too.

Division I Move (http://www.in-forum.com/specials/d1decision/?id=11267)

But it was clear after the two-hour session that four league schools -- SDSU, NDSU, Northern Colorado and the University of South Dakota -- are in favor of exploring Division I athletics.