PDA

View Full Version : Breckenridge vs Wyoming, lets HELP!!

lakesbison
03-10-2007, 04:36 PM
http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=159124&section=news

Lets get WYOMING on the schedule in 2008 and kick their ASS!!!! let the city of breckenridge buy up about 1500-2000 tickets and go there with their green cowboy logo tshirts and NDSU bison hats!

its a freakin logo, I'm sure Breckenridge will have to pay a licensing fee, but still, talk about slow day at the office in Wyoming.

No_Skill
03-10-2007, 04:42 PM
Change the horse to a bull...problem solved.

lakesbison
03-10-2007, 04:46 PM
well, theres a few wealthy people in breckenridge that want to keep the logo.

should be fun stuff.

bottom line..... it gives us at NDSU an excuse to beat WYOMING!!!! ha ha

Scooter
03-10-2007, 05:42 PM
To Wyoming Trademark Liscensing Manager,

* It has come to my attention that the state of Wyoming has been using my likeness as a trademark. *However, the likeness of my bretheren beings savagely spurred by a cowboy is more than I can bear. *Your trademerk that depicts the enslavement of my kind and is barbaric. *I demand that you cease from using this image in the future. *I have contacted PETA and lobbying has begun to deny Federal funding to any state condoning the abuse of animals. *

* * As a contingency plan,I have taken the time to trademark the word Christmas. *However, I have chosen only to enforce this trademark on States deemed hostile and abusive to my kind. *Have fun telling the kids in your state that there will be no Christmas for Wyoming. *I'm sure we can work something out.

I have also taken the time to trademark the image of a square for my personal trademark. While traveling through your state, I noticed a high percentage of buildings that resemble my new trademark. Since I don't want my name being erroneously associated with Wyoming, I'm going to have to ask you to tear down these buildings.
* Respectfully, *Mr. Ed.

TXBison_Fan
03-10-2007, 06:36 PM
Wyoming's football team sucks ass!! We could run all over them and show them that their precious cowboy logo doesn't mean jack. Is that someone's actually job to comb over every logo in America and say "Oh my God!! There's the cowboy logo!!" Is that person a woman? If that person is there must have been some serious PMSing going on. Hopefully there are some rich people who read the Fourm and find it in their heart to give Wyoming the only thing they are after: money. Does anyone actually think people are confused somehow by a small high school in Minnesota using Wyoming's logo?
Wyoming (sound of pounding) BOX :exclamation :exclamation But what can we really expect from the state that produced Dick Cheney??
PS: How do you get to your e-mail on here?? I've read the help page about 4 times but can't seem to find it. [smiley=embarassed.gif]

Scooter
03-10-2007, 06:40 PM
go to the top of the page where it says Hey, TXbison fan, you have XXX messages and click on the word message.

lakesbison
03-10-2007, 06:56 PM
dont post your email. i did that once and a select few "trolls/enemies" flooded it.

TXBison_Fan
03-10-2007, 07:42 PM
Thanks Scooter.

TheDoctor
03-11-2007, 09:12 AM
dont post your email. *i did that once and a select few "trolls/enemies" flooded it.

EVERYONE is an enemy of yours Lakes. Bison fans and any other fans alike! ;)

Swaghook
03-11-2007, 03:28 PM
Change the horse to a bull...problem solved.++++

Better send that on to the school.

TransAmBison
03-11-2007, 04:02 PM
To Wyoming Trademark Liscensing Manager,

* It has come to my attention that the state of Wyoming has been using my likeness as a trademark. *However, the likeness of my bretheren beings savagely spurred by a cowboy is more than I can bear. *Your trademerk that depicts the enslavement of my kind and is barbaric. *I demand that you cease from using this image in the future. *I have contacted PETA and lobbying has begun to deny Federal funding to any state condoning the abuse of animals. *

* * As a contingency plan,I have taken the time to trademark the word Christmas. *However, I have chosen only to enforce this trademark on States deemed hostile and abusive to my kind. *Have fun telling the kids in your state that there will be no Christmas for Wyoming. *I'm sure we can work something out.

* *I have also taken the time to trademark the image of a square for my personal trademark. *While traveling through your state, I noticed a high percentage of buildings that resemble my new trademark. *Since I don't want my name being erroneously associated with Wyoming, I'm going to have to ask you to tear down these buildings.
* Respectfully, *Mr. Ed.
That was great, Scooter! * * * *

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *+ * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * +
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *+ *+ * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * + +
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *+ * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * +

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *+ * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * +
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *+ *+ * + * + * + * + * + * + * + * + * + *+ *+ *+
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * + * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * +
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *+ * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * +
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * + * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * +
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *+ * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * +
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *+ * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * +
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * + * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * +
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * + * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * +
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *+ * * * * * * * * * * * +
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *+ *+ *+ * + * * * * *

IowaBison
03-11-2007, 04:23 PM
You want to talk about a trademark infringement how about South Dakota and Wyoming having nearly the same shape as us.

North Dakota is a few seconds older than South Dakota and Wyoming is but a mere tot.

This is fricken ridiculous people.

Hammerhead
03-12-2007, 02:10 AM
Does the Milnor Bison logo look like any of NDSU's?

NDSUFREAK10
03-12-2007, 02:14 AM
Talk about some Wyomingians (WTF? Is that right?) getting a little mad...geez. WYO, whats the updates and what are they talking about down there?

lakesbison
03-12-2007, 02:37 AM
Breck beat DGF in basketball last night on ch6. what a great game, they went RIGHT at DGF and forced the action and was up and down the court. what a game!!!

hoping to get Breck and the LOGO to State!!

p.s- I couldn't help notice that CH 6 put the breck logo on almost every caption durin the game, perhaps a slight dig at Wyoming???

Tues night at concordia. 7pmm vs Pelican

Swaghook
03-12-2007, 03:14 AM
It's too bad WY has the feds on there side in this. But if you ask me a Cowboy on the back of a rip-snorting bad @$$ bull beats the heck out of a bucking bronc anyday. 8-)

westsidebison
03-12-2007, 03:26 AM
Watch out Kindred Vikings!! Minnesota is gonna deal with you next!!

Bison_Dan
03-12-2007, 12:10 PM
This topic should be moved. It has nothing to do with football. :-/

pwbnd
03-12-2007, 05:44 PM
This topic should be moved. It has nothing to do with football.

I agree. This is happening more and more lately.

lakesbison
03-12-2007, 06:41 PM
argh.. fella's!!

I put it in here BECAUSE I want NDSU football to schedule WYOMING so we can beat them up for this!!

Breckenridge is a HUGE bison town!!

Bison06
03-12-2007, 06:52 PM
I don't know if I would say Breckenridge is a huge Bison town. I can't think of anyone in recent memory from BHS that has played for the us. However, Jesse Smith, a BHS grad was a standout at UND.

lakesbison
03-12-2007, 07:08 PM
Yaggies, Mike Conzemius All american,

They were mad that jesse went to UND

lakesbison
03-14-2007, 05:20 PM
WOW... did BRECK get screwed on WDAY TV last night vs pelican rapids.

what a great game. loud, crazy crowd.

Pelican inbounds it with .4 seconds and the kid catches then shots from a 3 pointer (obviously its impossible to catch and shoot) but the REFS called it good anyways and proceeded to run off the floor like sissies, instead of AT LEAST talking with the score keeper. the score keeper didnt start the clock right away!!

just an absolute SHAME for Breck kids to lose that way.

NorthernBison
03-14-2007, 05:34 PM
WOW... did BRECK get screwed on WDAY TV last night vs pelican rapids.

what a great game. *loud, crazy crowd.

Pelican inbounds it with .4 seconds and the kid catches then shots from a 3 pointer (obviously its impossible to catch and shoot) *but the REFS called it good anyways and proceeded to run off the floor like sissies, instead of *AT LEAST talking with the score keeper. * the score keeper didnt start the clock right away!!

just an absolute SHAME for Breck kids to lose that way.

You're actually right about this one but, there really isn't anything else that could have been done. You can't use replay because MSHSL rules don't allow video replay unless it is being used for all tournament games. The officials aren't responsible for starting and stopping the clock. They are watching the action and can't tell if the clock started immediately so they can only call what they see. The video showed the ball jst leaving his hand when the clock hit zero/lights on. That's a tough call for the official. Basically make the call and run.

I'm a little biased toward PR so I can't be totally objective. On the other hand, if the ball had left his hand before time ran out and the official waved it off, they couldn't have overruled that either. I think that would have meant overtime in this case?

Flintstone
03-14-2007, 06:02 PM
Actually, they showed the highlights on WDAY last night and the clock clearly ran out well before the ball left his hand. That was still a clutch shot by the kid from Pelican.

ACES1180
03-14-2007, 06:14 PM
If this game had not been broadcast on WDAY, less people would be talking about it...Unfortunately for Breckenridge, human error does happen in sports...However, these errors have always been a part of the game...

As for the refs, they should not be called 'sissies, ' whereas their job is to get off the court as soon as possible after a game...They are trained by the MSHSL to avoid conflict.

lakesbison
03-14-2007, 06:24 PM
Yea I was sitting right under the basket with Rollie Lipp (NDSU announcer at BSA)

and we were screaming at the officials before the play that it could only be a TIP in or Tip shot.

How in the heck can you grab and come down and shoot?? its IMPOSSIBLE

IF ANYTHING, the scorekeeper could've said to the officials (IF THEY WOULDVE HAD THE GUTS TO GO OVER THERE) well guys, I didnt press the button fast enough, or they could've huddled and said "listen fellow ref, its impossible to catch and shoot"

Furthermore, where is the tournament director? the breck kids wouldn't even go get thier medals, because the tourney director wouldn't even listen to them or their coach, embarassing!!

let that great game be decided in OVERTIME

99Bison
03-14-2007, 09:28 PM
The worst thing about this really was that there were two blown calls in a row that cost them a shot at overtime or win.

1. Replay shows clearly there was no traveling on the offensive end.
2. The .4 thing.

NorthernBison
03-14-2007, 09:37 PM
The worst thing about this really was that there were two blown calls in a row that cost them a shot at overtime or win.

1. Replay shows clearly there was no traveling on the offensive end.
2. The .4 thing.

And there were probably a dozen other calls throughout the game that people could argue about. The bottom line is that officials calls are a part of the game. Most people who complain about officiating have never wore a striped shirt. High school doesn't have a "tip only" rule so the official has to go by what they see. It happens fast and, in this case, the official saw the ball out of the hand when the time ran out. He was wrong but he had to make the call right away. I don't think he waited to make the call until he saw if it was a bucket or not. Give the officials a little slack. The day is coming where it won't be possible to find officials for high school sports because everyone wants perfection on things that it takes video to determine.

NorthernBison
03-14-2007, 11:59 PM
I saw more explanation on the sports tonight. Apparently there is a rule that with .3 seconds or less, only tip ins are allowed. This was with .4.

The other issue is the rule that the horn decides the end of the game. Not lights or the clock. Played at full speed, it was really hard to tell whether the ball was still in the hand at the horn or not. Slowed down, it was still in his hands. Kind of a bad deal all around. Both teams ended up getting cheated. One is still playing but how can they really enjoy the victory?

A question occurred to me earlier about this thread that got hijacked into a discussion about the end of the game. Here goes: Who is it that is hassling Breckenridge about the logo? Is it the State of Wyoming or the University of Wyoming?

The reason I ask is because both the state and the University use what appears to be the same logo.

99Bison
03-15-2007, 05:04 AM
Whoa doggie slow down there... The point was in the last 4 seconds a single team got jacked twice. Thus feel bad for them because of that. Besides the rest of the game is trivial once it gets to that point.

CaBisonFan
03-15-2007, 09:06 AM
http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=159124&section=news

Lets get WYOMING on the schedule in 2008 and kick their ASS!!!! * *let the city of breckenridge buy up about 1500-2000 tickets and go there with their green cowboy logo tshirts and NDSU bison hats!

its a freakin logo, I'm sure Breckenridge will have to pay a licensing fee, but still, talk about slow day at the office in Wyoming.

really

need some Xanax? Valium?

BisonSig
03-15-2007, 05:40 PM
I personally don't think that 2 government agencies need to waste taxpayer dollars fighting over intellectual property, especially a school district vs a University of any state. They should have or put into place a licensing agreement, that allows these small schools to use logos. Why? Well in this particular instance the State of Wyoming was not the creator of this logo, from what I have heard it was a former Breckenridge student. Wyoming asked for permission to use said logo, recieved permission, copyrighted it and now is telling Breckenridge to stop using it. That's your tax dollars at work.

Send an email to szieglerDELETETHISSPAMPREVENTION@uwyo.edu, asking them to sign an agreement with the school district to allow that logo to remain.

WYOBISONMAN
03-15-2007, 08:08 PM
Wyoming has been successful before in protecting that logo. I have seen this happen several times before and the State of Wyoming has always seemed to prevail.

lakesbison
03-16-2007, 04:37 AM
BISONSIG.

SWEET POST!!

i forwarded it on to a few news outlets.

Screw Wyoming!! thats why I hope NDSU schedules them in football and KICKS THEM!!

why they messing with a small school in minnesota, big deal.

sambini
03-16-2007, 04:39 AM
Its to bad Gary Barta is not the AD THERE any more. I would like his insight on this issue. Which I think is stupid.

IowaBisonToo
03-16-2007, 04:46 PM
I'd look at it this way. If you have a high school with that logo, wouldn't you automatically associate it with the University of Wyoming? And that's bad because . . . ? What a bunch of dolts. Talk about free advertising. ::)

WYOBISONMAN
03-16-2007, 04:47 PM
It is not the University that has the logo protected as a trademark.....it is the State. *It is on every Wyoming car license besides being the logo for the University.

Here is the link to the Sec. of States office that is in charge of the logo.....

http://soswy.state.wy.us/bucking/bucking.htm#toc

http://soswy.state.wy.us/bucking/bh&r.gif

IowaBisonToo
03-16-2007, 04:50 PM
OK, so the state gets free advertising. What I don't get is why they need to protect it? I guess in some cases that might be fine but, for a high school? Come on. How is a high school going to profit from using the logo?

WYOBISONMAN
03-16-2007, 04:59 PM
OK, so the state gets free advertising. *What I don't get is why they need to protect it? *I guess in some cases that might be fine but, for a high school? *Come on. *How is a high school going to profit from using the logo?

Here is the answer to why Wyoming had to protect the logo.... this is from that website I gave the link to in a previous post......

Why require licensing of the Bucking Horse and Rider (BH&R) trademark?
The State of Wyoming and the University of Wyoming established a cooperative licensing agreement on the BH&R trademark as a result of a near devastating turn of events in the winter of 1994. At that time, it was learned that a corporation based in Beverly Hills, California attempted to federally register Wyoming's BH&R trademark. Had this federal registration been allowed to proceed unchallenged, this company would have obtained trademark rights to an image which rightfully belongs in Wyoming, on behalf of the residents of Wyoming. Fortunately, the State and the University consolidated efforts to successfully defeat this attempt to own the trademark. As a result, the State and University began talks regarding the development of an agreement that would significantly reduce the risk of this occuring again. Ultimately, a cooperative licensing agreement was established, which now fully protects the BH&R trademark from misuse and infringement. Without this arrangement, and consistent and unified commercial licensing of the BH&R trademark, the State of Wyoming and its citizens and the University of Wyoming would face great risk in losing ownership of this trademark. Should the State of Wyoming ever loose ownership of this mark, the new owner would have the right to curtail use of it by Wyoming citizens.

BisonSig
03-16-2007, 05:04 PM
OK, so the state gets free advertising. *What I don't get is why they need to protect it? *I guess in some cases that might be fine but, for a high school? *Come on. *How is a high school going to profit from using the logo?

I agree and does a school using the logo devalue it? I highly doubt it. If some company was making unlicensed apparal, or made a slight variation, that would or could devalue the logo, but not a small high school in a non-urban area.

ACES1180
03-16-2007, 05:37 PM
I know people don't like it when UND is mentioned, but this post relates to the topic at hand.

I graduated from Mandan High School, home of the Braves. Our logo used on the side of our football helmets was the same as what the Sioux use. Because the Sioux decided they wanted exclusive rights to said logo, Mandan was forced to get a new one, which in my opinion sucked. I'm not sure if legal action was threatened, but MHS did back down.

So this type of action by a university has happened before.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the Wyoming-Breckenridge issue.

mikelsch
03-16-2007, 06:11 PM
Like it or not, you can't copy trademarked items unless you get permission. Breckenridge will likely have to change their logo, or get permission from Wyoming to use the existing one.

lakesbison
03-17-2007, 05:40 AM
point is.

breckenridge had the logo back in 1964 according to my dad's yearbook.

So I dont know why after 43 years, Wyoming comes digging for breckenridge.

I think its a case of the state having nothing to do.

Like Bisonsig said,

its a case where the BIG guy picks on the little school that doesnt make ANY MONEY OFF IT!!!

I'm sure if Wyoming asked for $5000 user fee, the big donors in breck would pay it.

IowaBisonToo
03-17-2007, 01:16 PM
Maybe Wyoming can get a $0.005 fee from every item Breck sells with a logo on it. What gets me though is this. First off, I don't know if Breck has the logo on the side of their helmets for football but if so, why wouldn't Ridell or whomever the get helmets from say no no to putting the logo on it. If they get decals after the fact, why doesn't the producer of the decal say no no. Wyo owns the right to this logo. I guess it's not their place.

WYOBISONMAN
03-17-2007, 02:29 PM
The way trademark law works is that if you don't defend your right to the trademark you run the risk of loosing it, so the State of Wyoming will defend its right to the trademark any time it finds that it is being used without licensing. Under the laws they have to do so.

Hammersmith
03-17-2007, 06:38 PM
Just want to reinforce what WYO said. Like other universities in Wyoming's situation, Wyoming doesn't go looking for small time infringers. They only send out notices when someone brings the situation to their attention. Like WYO said, once a school like Breck has been brought to their attention, they MUST defend their trademark. If they don't, that inaction can be used to void their ownership of the trademark by some other entity. The real question is how Wyoming will handle the upcoming negotiation. Hopefully, Breck will only have to pay a negligible fee; just enough to satisfy the defense portion of trademark law.