PDA

View Full Version : Cal-Poly GWFC member news

BisonBacker
05-26-2006, 02:42 AM
I'd love to hear some news about what our friends at Cal-Poly are doing during the off season (football). I know some of their fans visit Bisonville. ;)

BisonBacker
05-26-2006, 02:55 PM
I can't believe Slo-Stangs not jumped on this yet. Must be on vacation...

Bisonguy
05-26-2006, 09:48 PM
I don't know what they're doing, but I bet they'll be ready to go.

SloStang
05-27-2006, 04:50 AM
Cal Poly's spring practice should really be called winter practice seeing that it ran form Feb. 15th through March 6th. *Ellerson does this is because it then gives the team over five months of unenterupted conditioning and gives any players with spring injuries time to heal before summer camp. *The draw back is that JC transfers do not get to go through spring (winter) practice. *This is not usualy a big problem with Cal Poly seeing they do not bring in very many JC players and if they do they often red shirt them. *This year the brought in two, an offensive lineman and a defensive back.

Cal Poly has a new strength and conditioning coach this year that came from San Diego State. *From what I have heard he is pushing the team hard. *Spring quarter end June 9th and the team will get a one week break before summer conditioning starts. *Last year they had over 90% of the returning players in the summer program.

I have talked to a few players and they feel that they should have made a deeper run in the playoffs. *They put so much into getting their first win in Montana they did not have the same intensity against Texas State. *They feel that they have a team that can go all the way this year, but they also realize that they have a tough schedule with two IA games and trips to Weber State, Montana and NDSU and home games against Davis and SDSU.

Should be a great season for the GWFC. *What is the news with the NDSU football program?

Bisonguy
05-27-2006, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the news SloStang!

There's a thread under the Football forum titled 'Big Questions' that brings up the major concerns for NDSU.

The biggest question for NDSU is the D line, as there will be one transfer from Auburn and two JuCo's that will be fighting for starting spots. Beyond that, NDSU is returning quite a few starters, with the exception of the corners (but there's some good talent and more importantly speed there).

SloStang
05-27-2006, 02:01 PM
The biggest question for Cal Poly is how they will do replacing their two defensive ends Chris Gocong and Matt Chacere . *They have two juniors that have seen playing time the last two years and they have two Rfr who they are hoping will jump ahead of the juniors. *Gocong and Chacere's production on defense will be missed, but overall the defense returns eight starters, six of which are seniors. *If they are able to do a good job replacing the DE position, the defense should be even stronger than last year.

As far as offense goes, they will be young. *Seven soph. and one Rfr are expected to start. *Five of the soph. started by the end of last season and include RB James Noble, WR Ramses Barden, C Stephen Field which were all first team All-GWFC. *The other two of the five are WR/KR Tredale Tolver and QB Matt Brennan. *If Cal Poly is to have the type of year they think they are capable of, Matt Brennan will have to step up his play. *He has a strong arm, but needs to work on his touch on the long ball.

Cal Poly has a Rfr that they are really high on and they are actualy changing their offense around to get him on the field. *His name is Jon Hall and he is 6'3" 235 and he will play the newly created position of H-Back (a mix of TE and FB that the Washington Redskins use). *He is very fast for his size and according to a coach I talked to he has the best hands on the team. *I am anxious to see how he does.

My biggest concern is that we may have a better team than last year, but they might not make the playoffs with the schedule they have. *If they lose both IA games that means that they really can only lose one I-AA game. *That will be tough going with back to back road games with Montana and NDSU not to mention tough games against Weber State, UC Davis and SDSU. *Hopefully they can get a win against San Jose State.

I can not wait.

SloStang
05-30-2006, 03:09 AM
I stopped by the stadium today. It is going to look nice, at least the new side, when it is completed. I have heard it is on time, but if it is there is a lot of work to be done in only three months. They are working on the forms that will be the flooring of the pressbox/sky boxes. It should look a lot better than it did in 2005 when you next visit in 2007.

SloStang
05-31-2006, 06:40 AM
It looks like I will not be able to make it to Fargo this year for the game unless I want to end up in divorce court. I am going to all threee in state games against San Jose State, Sac State and San Diego State and have already booked tickets for Montana where I will be joining a group of ten friends. If I were to go to Fargo that would make three straight road games in three consecutive weeks. My wife said that to much time to be away from the family and I had to agree.. I will have to make it there in 2008.

I was really looking forward to meeting some of the great Bison posters at the tailgate before the game. Looks like I will become a premium Bison member on bisonville.com so I can get the video streaming of the game. I hope to meet some of you in SLO in 2007.

Bisonguy
05-31-2006, 08:25 PM
It looks like I will not be able to make it to Fargo this year for the game unless I want to end up in divorce court. *I am going to all threee in state games against San Jose State, Sac State and San Diego State and have already booked tickets for Montana where I will be joining a group of ten friends. *If I were to go to Fargo that would make three straight road games in three consecutive weeks. *My wife said that to much time to be away from the family and I had to agree.. *I will have to make it there in 2008.

I was really looking forward to meeting some of the great Bison posters at the tailgate before the game. *Looks like I will become a premium Bison member on bisonville.com so I can get the video streaming of the game. *I hope to meet some of you in SLO in 2007.

Better get that premium membership on gobison.com, not bisonville.com. AFAIK, a premium membership on Bisonville.com might get you a free beer from Tony, but no live video of the game. ;)

I might have to make it to SLO in 07.

SloStang
06-02-2006, 03:49 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I hope to see you at the game in '07.

BisonMav
06-02-2006, 02:28 PM
The biggest question for Cal Poly is how they will do replacing their two defensive ends Chris Gocong and Matt Chacere . *They have two juniors that have seen playing time the last two years and they have two Rfr who they are hoping will jump ahead of the juniors. *Gocong and Chacere's production on defense will be missed, but overall the defense returns eight starters, six of which are seniors. *If they are able to do a good job replacing the DE position, the defense should be even stronger than last year.

Poly was great all over on Defense last year. I don't think you will be replacing the DE's with another Gocong, but I doubt your defense will be any less impressive overall.

SloStang
06-03-2006, 06:11 AM

Poly was great all over on Defense last year. *I don't think you will be replacing the DE's with another Gocong, but I doubt your defense will be any less impressive overall.
I agree that it is almost impossibe to replace a player like Chris Gocong. *I also agree that although Cal Poly will not be as strong at the DE position, the rest of the positions will be upgraded with all the returning players with talented young players backing them up.

NDSU defense was impressive and the top GWFC defense in total yards and points allowed last season and I expect they will be tough again this year. *The GWFC has three of the top I-AA defenses with NDSU, Davis and Cal Poly. *SDSU is also a very physical defense that will get better as they bring in more speed.

SloStang
06-05-2006, 11:32 PM
Matt Dougherty's rankings of RB is out at the Sports Network. He ranks James Noble as the 5th best RB and Kyle Steffes as the 14th. Once again the GWFC is well represented.

MplsBison
06-05-2006, 11:57 PM
Cal Poly's spring practice should really be called winter practice seeing that it ran form Feb. 15th through March 6th. Ellerson does this is because it then gives the team over five months of unenterupted conditioning and gives any players with spring injuries time to heal before summer camp. The draw back is that JC transfers do not get to go through spring (winter) practice. This is not usualy a big problem with Cal Poly seeing they do not bring in very many JC players and if they do they often red shirt them. This year the brought in two, an offensive lineman and a defensive back.

Cal Poly has a new strength and conditioning coach this year that came from San Diego State. From what I have heard he is pushing the team hard. Spring quarter end June 9th and the team will get a one week break before summer conditioning starts. Last year they had over 90% of the returning players in the summer program.

I have talked to a few players and they feel that they should have made a deeper run in the playoffs. They put so much into getting their first win in Montana they did not have the same intensity against Texas State. They feel that they have a team that can go all the way this year, but they also realize that they have a tough schedule with two IA games and trips to Weber State, Montana and NDSU and home games against Davis and SDSU.

Should be a great season for the GWFC. What is the news with the NDSU football program?

I believe that once the stadium is completly done (20k seats?) and if Poly spends some money for more football practice facilities (indoor, weight room, meeting rooms, locker room, coaches offices) they can easily win some titles in I-AA and start looking at I-A.

SloStang
06-10-2006, 04:05 PM
Cal Poly listed Matt Kirschner on their spring roster. Kirschner is a transfer from Hawaii and is listed as a 5'10" 175, So WR. Kirschner was a Rivals.com two star recruit in 2004 coming out of Campbell Hall HS in Pasadena. Also Drew Robinson, a transfer from Nevada in spring of 2005 that left the team for personal reasons, returned this spring and will get time at both FB and TB and give the team some good depth. He was also a two star recruit who ran for over 2,000 yards and scored 45 TDs his senior year in HS. He is listed at 5'11" 195 and he will be a Jr in 2006.

MplsBison
06-10-2006, 04:25 PM
With their recent success and revamped stadium, I think Poly is going to be the team in the GWFC for the next couple of years.

Then when NDSU can start getting DI-A transfers on a regular basis, we'll take over.

BisonMav
06-10-2006, 04:32 PM
With their recent success and revamped stadium, I think Poly is going to be the team in the GWFC for the next couple of years.

Then when NDSU can start getting DI-A transfers on a regular basis, we'll take over.

Do you have any information to backup that I-A transfers have made Cal Poly a power in the GWFC?

MplsBison
06-10-2006, 04:35 PM
Do you have any information to backup that I-A transfers have made Cal Poly a power in the GWFC?

They haven't, yet.

SloStang
06-10-2006, 04:48 PM

I think that both NDSU and Davis both will challenge Cal Poly this year for the GWFC championship and SDSU is not far behind. *Even after the first phase of the stadium renovation is completed, the FargoDome will still be king of the hill when it comes to GWFC stadiums. *

MplsBison
06-10-2006, 05:13 PM
No doubt that NDSU will challenge Poly for the title every season.

But after last season when Poly basically ran away from us with blazing speed, NDSU has some recruiting work to do. That will take a couple years as we come out of transition.

It will take Davis longer as they're not up to full scholarships yet and their stadium seems to be taking longer to build for some reason. But they'll be there in a few years.

SloStang
06-10-2006, 05:28 PM
No doubt that NDSU will challenge Poly for the title every season.

But after last season when Poly basically ran away from us with blazing speed, NDSU has some recruiting work to do. That will take a couple years as we come out of transition.

It will take Davis longer as they're not up to full scholarships yet and their stadium seems to be taking longer to build for some reason. But they'll be there in a few years.
I think Davis is there now and will only get better as they become fully funded. Cal Poly is 0-2 against Davis in GWFC play and 2-0 agaist all of the other GWFC teams. Bohl has already begun to bring more speed to the Bison and I think it will show this year with some of the younger players getting playing time.

MplsBison
06-10-2006, 05:33 PM
Sure, head to head Davis manages to get up for Poly.

And how many solo titles to they have to show for those wins?

SloStang
06-20-2006, 03:29 AM
New pictures of Cal Poly's new west side stands, press box/sky boxes have been posted on the GWFC board at AGS under the UCD vs Poly building thread.

SloStang
07-14-2006, 03:22 AM
Cal Poly's former player Chris Gocong signs a four year $2.38 million ($774,000 signing bonus) contract with the Philadelphia Eagles. Gocong was a third round draft pick (71rst overall) in this years draft. The Eagles are moving him from DE to OLB.

kchats
07-14-2006, 03:24 AM
Hopefully he stays healthy. I would love to see the Great West represent well in the NFL. How is Jordan Beck doing with his recovery?

SloStang
07-14-2006, 03:35 AM
Hopefully he stays healthy. *I would love to see the Great West represent well in the NFL. *How is Jordan Beck doing with his recovery?
Jordan Beck is back to 100% and is looking forward to camp. Is Rob Hunt on a roster this year?

Bison_Dan
07-14-2006, 01:11 PM
Hopefully he stays healthy. *I would love to see the Great West represent well in the NFL. *How is Jordan Beck doing with his recovery?
Jordan Beck is back to 100% and is looking forward to camp. *Is Rob Hunt on a roster this year?

He's with Denver but I think he has an up hill battle to make the team.

BisonMav
07-14-2006, 01:40 PM
Jordan Beck is back to 100% and is looking forward to camp. *Is Rob Hunt on a roster this year?

He's with Denver but I think he has an up hill battle to make the team. *

Rob's got the heart to do it.

SloStang
07-15-2006, 02:22 AM

He's with Denver but I think he has an up hill battle to make the team. *

Rob's got the heart to do it.
I will be pulling for Rob and all former GWFC players.

met1990
07-27-2006, 06:01 PM
On ESPN.com:

The Eagles are trying to convert third-round draft choice Chris Gocong from college defensive end to strongside 'backer, but the kid has a long way to go. He's got very little experience playing in a two-point stance and on Tuesday morning, in one of the few times he actually engaged a blocker, Gocong was easily driven three yards off the line of scrimmage. That incurred the wrath of linebackers coach Steve Spagnuolo, who apparently felt Gocong was playing too soft. Gocong had 41 sacks the past two years in college, and won the Buck Buchanan Award as the outstanding performer at the Division I-AA level, but his inexperience at linebacker has been telling. He might log time as a situational pass rusher, but doesn't look ready to line up as a regular.

DORMIE
07-27-2006, 09:59 PM
His name is actually Jarred Peck

kchats
07-29-2006, 12:59 AM
The Jordan Beck that was mentioned in the post is a former Cal Poly that won the Buck Buchanan award two years ago. He is on Atlanta's roster.

SloStang
07-30-2006, 01:28 AM
On ESPN.com:

The Eagles are trying to convert third-round draft choice Chris Gocong from college defensive end to strongside 'backer, but the kid has a long way to go. He's got very little experience playing in a two-point stance and on Tuesday morning, in one of the few times he actually engaged a blocker, Gocong was easily driven three yards off the line of scrimmage. That incurred the wrath of linebackers coach Steve Spagnuolo, who apparently felt Gocong was playing too soft. Gocong had 41 sacks the past two years in college, and won the Buck Buchanan Award as the outstanding performer at the Division I-AA level, but his inexperience at linebacker has been telling. He might log time as a situational pass rusher, but doesn't look ready to line up as a regular.
I go on the Philadelphia site all most daily and the defensive coordinator says he has to be patient while Gocong learns a new position, but that they are impressed with his athletic ability and hope he pushes for playing time.

sambini
07-30-2006, 05:31 PM
Slo Stang I wish him well and thanks to you for the update?

SloStang
07-31-2006, 06:03 AM
sambini, what's with the question mark? *met1990 made it sound as if Gocong would be lucky to make the team with his post. *All I was saying is that while the Eagles know they have to be patient while Gocong learns a new position, they are excited about the posibilities Gocong brings to the team with his athletic ability.

mebison
07-31-2006, 12:56 PM
Pretty sure its just a typo SloStang, Sambini doesn't usually make sarcastic insults on here.

Bisonguy
07-31-2006, 09:18 PM
Pretty sure its just a typo SloStang, Sambini doesn't usually make sarcastic insults on here.

Maybe it was a few too many Bud Selects.

sambini
08-01-2006, 12:43 AM
sambini, what's with the question mark? *met1990 made it sound as if Gocong would be lucky to make the team with his post. *All I was saying is that while the Eagles know they have to be patient while Gocong learns a new position, they are excited about the posibilities Gocong brings to the team with his athletic ability.
Slostang I missed seeing the question mark. Must be from being out in the heat and humidity. Thats all sorry for the booboo.

sambini
08-01-2006, 01:00 AM
Dormie, who is Jared Peck with this year?

SloStang
08-01-2006, 01:10 AM
Slostang I missed seeing the question mark. Must be from being out in the heat and humidity. Thats all sorry for the booboo.
No problem. *I thought maybe you were getting tired of my sorry @ss posting over here. *I post here because you Bison fans are more passionate about football that the average Mustang fan and as you probably noticed, I can talk football 24/7. *I found just how passionate the fans are here when I brought up the ugly word "UND" once. *Thanks for giving me another avenue to talk football. *You have a great message board and a great program. *Hopefully things work out with the Mid Con and the GWFC can continue to grow.

SloStang
08-01-2006, 01:12 AM
Dormie, who is Jared Peck with this year?
He may be thinking of Justin Peek. He is a LB at Cal Poy and was All-GWFC last season.

sambini
08-01-2006, 01:14 AM
ITS GOOD TO HAVE YOU ABOARD SLO STANG. AND I HOPE TO GET OUT THERE SOMEDAY. BEEN TO DAVIS A FEW TIMES. TAKE CARE AND HAVE A FINE SEASON.

rabidrabbit
08-01-2006, 02:35 AM
No problem. *I thought maybe you were getting tired of my sorry @ss posting over here. *I post here because you Bison fans are more passionate about football that the average Mustang fan and as you probably noticed, I can talk football 24/7. *I found just how passionate the fans are here when I brought up the ugly word "UND" once. *Thanks for giving me another avenue to talk football. *You have a great message board and a great program. *Hopefully things work out with the Mid Con and the GWFC can continue to grow.

Having spent WAAAAYYYY too much time on the boards, Bisonville has the most dedicated, fervent, and especially important - ACTIVE board in the GWFC!! Only the Griz, GaSouthern, and Delaware compete with the fervor here. It's amazing how active, even in off-season this board attracts the other schools fans input. This Bunny enjoys his hours here.

Bisonguy
08-01-2006, 02:45 AM

Having spent WAAAAYYYY too much time on the boards, Bisonville has the most dedicated, fervent, and especially important - ACTIVE board in the GWFC!! *Only the Griz, GaSouthern, and Delaware compete with the fervor here. *It's amazing how active, even in off-season this board attracts the other schools fans input. *This Bunny enjoys his hours here.

It wasn't that long ago when this board averaged one post a week between signing day and the Spring Game, and also from the Spring Game until a month before the season opener.

I'm glad to see how well the SDSU board is doing. :)

sambini
08-01-2006, 12:37 PM
Do you expect any freshmen to have any impact this year at Cal Poly?

IowaBison
08-01-2006, 01:33 PM
Having spent WAAAAYYYY too much time on the boards, Bisonville has the most dedicated, fervent, and especially important - ACTIVE board in the GWFC!! Only the Griz, GaSouthern, and Delaware compete with the fervor here. It's amazing how active, even in off-season this board attracts the other schools fans input. This Bunny enjoys his hours here.

It wasn't that long ago when this board averaged one post a week between signing day and the Spring Game, and also from the Spring Game until a month before the season opener.

But then Sambini came with all those damn pluses! :D

SloStang
08-01-2006, 01:34 PM
Redshirt freshman H-Back Jon Hall is slated to start. The coaches are high on him. Also Rfr LB Danny Rohr is going to push for playing time. As far as true freshman go, they try to redshirt them if they can. I talked with one of the coaches and he said one they might have a hard time redshirting will be Jono Grayson. He is only 5'7" 170 (I think that may be generous). He is the cousin of former All-American Mustang WR/RS Darrell Jones and they say he has a chance to be even better. Grayson rushed for 2,180 yard with 28 TDs and had 315 receiving yard and another 3 TDs. They plan on moving him to WR and kick returner. Where they need him is in the return game.

How about the Bison? Any freshmen, redshirt or true, likely to see much time?

Less than two weeks away. I can not wait.

SloStang
08-10-2006, 02:09 PM
Cal Poly football teams reports today and has their first practice at 6:00 pm tonight. Football is here at last. :o

tcbison
08-17-2006, 09:35 PM
Cal Poly football teams reports today and has their first practice at 6:00 pm tonight. *Football is here at last. :o

Hey SloStang. I was wondering if Cal Poly gets many tranfers from I-A now that they are playoff eligible? I am thinking NDSU will get some transfers to come in once they are playoff eligible. Your thoughts?

SloStang
08-18-2006, 03:46 AM
Cal Poly football teams reports today and has their first practice at 6:00 pm tonight. *Football is here at last. :o

Hey SloStang. I was wondering if Cal Poly gets many tranfers from I-A now that they are playoff eligible? I am thinking NDSU will get some transfers to come in once they are playoff eligible. Your thoughts?

Cal Poly has four I-A transfers on the team. *Two from Hawaii, one from Fresno State and one from Nevada. *RB Drew Robinson from Nevada is the only one that saw any real playing time in I-A and he will back up James Noble. *I think if Cal Poly can continue to make the playoffs and continues improving their facilities they may bring in some of the bigger name I-A transfers.

NDSU has outstanding facilities, a great coaching staff and a team that will be a regular in the I-AA playoffs once eligible. *NDSU also has an outstanding fan base. *I can see it being a very attractive place for big name I-A transfers.

Gamehunter
08-18-2006, 01:34 PM

How about the Bison? Any freshmen, redshirt or true, likely to see much time?

Apparently Derrius Colvin is not redshirting. He is a CB from the Chicago suburb area. The Fargo media, Hallstrom in particular, was quite high on the kid when he signed late in January. Colvin also reported to camp a month ahead of most freshman and the coaches seem to see the difference. Hopefully he can learn the college position fast, as we are lacking in quality depth at CB.

Also, someone reported on the board that RB Pete Blincoe from Southern Cal was getting a look at having his redshirt removed. I kinda doubt it will happen (and hope it wont) with the depth we have at RB, but he did play alot in last saturday's scrimage. There should be more info on these kids after this Saturday's scrimage. Most of the players are back from injury now.

SloStang
08-19-2006, 01:53 AM
X-Factor wrote:

Also, someone reported on the board that RB Pete Blincoe from Southern Cal was getting a look at having his redshirt removed. *I kinda doubt it will happen (and hope it wont) with the depth we have at RB, but he did play alot in last saturday's scrimage. *There should be more info on these kids after this Saturday's scrimage. *Most of the players are back from injury now.

Could they be considering Blincoe for the return game now that Shamen Washington is out?

Scooter
08-19-2006, 03:51 AM
That's an interresting question. I personally wouldn't want to lift the red shirt to fill this position. Off the top of my head I can think of 3 guys that I's rather see handle the job.

1. Jamar Champ- looked very good in the spring game
2. Nick Jackson- Jr WR-
3. Simeon Cabell- Jr RB

Gamehunter
08-19-2006, 06:23 PM
Four guys I know that are practicing taking returns.

1. T. White
2. Steffes
3. Champ
4. Craig Dahl

out of those 4, I really hope Champ would be the one to get the job as it would be devestating to lose any of those other three guys. All three of those guys are stars for the Bison.

Mr._Bill
08-19-2006, 06:57 PM
My vote is for a couple of young receivers or d-backs to replace shamen, not some of the other guys we are counting on as starters.

sambini
08-20-2006, 02:30 AM
++++++++++++

SloStang
08-27-2006, 04:11 PM
In today's local paper it said that true freshman Jono Grayson is likely to play this season and will see time right away on the return teams. Last years return men Tredale Tolver and Kenny Chichione are likely to miss the first game while recovering from injuries openning the door for Jono.

SloStang
08-30-2006, 04:35 AM
The two deep roster for this weeks game against Fort Lewis listed Jono Grayson as the Punter returner and as a second string WR. Also listed on the two deep was true freshman DL James Chen.

SloStang
09-03-2006, 06:50 PM
I hate playing DII games. It is hard to get a sense where you really are when you play down. The only advantage I see is that some of your younger players get some game time that they probably would not if they were playing a I-A team.

SloStang
09-10-2006, 06:11 PM
Good news, not so good news after a 17-0 win against Weber State.

The good news - defense looks very dominating. They have only given up 229 total (79 to FLS and 150 to WSU) yards and no points in two games. Defense sets up first score recovering a dropped lateral by WSU on Cal Poly's one yard line that James Noble cashes in on the first offensive play for Cal Poly. Mark Restelli returns an INT 42 yards for a TD late in the fourth quarter to seal the win. The defense records five sacks in the win.

The not so good news - Cal Poly's offense was less than impressive in the win. Matt Brennan did well running for over 50 yards, but he was only 4 of 12 passing for 76 yards. He over threw at least four open receivers deep as WSU stacked the box and dared Cal Poly to throw. Matt must improve on his deep ball if Cal Poly hopes to beat good teams. James Noble was again good going for 110 yards and a TD as WSU stacked the box. Cal Poly has talent on the offensive side of the ball, but they are young and they will go through their ups and downs this season. Let's hope Cal Poly's defense can continue to bail them out when they struggle.

tony
09-11-2006, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the updates, SloStang!

Cal Poly's defense is going to be something else again this year.

BisonBacker
09-11-2006, 02:13 PM
I hate playing DII games. *It is hard to get a sense where you really are when you play down. *The only advantage I see is that some of your younger players get some game time that they probably would not if they were playing a I-A team.

Careful SloStang, I said the same thing on here (actually started a thread on it) and many folks got mighty upset about it, called it getting a big head & such. I agree with you 100% however and am glad to see others feel the same way.

SloStang
09-11-2006, 08:15 PM
I hate playing DII games. *It is hard to get a sense where you really are when you play down. *The only advantage I see is that some of your younger players get some game time that they probably would not if they were playing a I-A team.

Careful SloStang, I said the same thing on here (actually started a thread on it) and many folks got mighty upset about it, called it getting a big head & such. *I agree with you 100% however and am glad to see others feel the same way.
The other reason I do not like playing DII teams is that they do nothing for you in terms of the playoffs. Win and it does not count. Lose and it can kill you. This is critical when you play in a conference with no auto-bid.

BisonBacker
09-12-2006, 04:14 AM

Careful SloStang, I said the same thing on here (actually started a thread on it) and many folks got mighty upset about it, called it getting a big head & such. *I agree with you 100% however and am glad to see others feel the same way.
The other reason I do not like playing DII teams is that they do nothing for you in terms of the playoffs. *Win and it does not count. *Lose and it can kill you. *This is critical when you play in a conference with no auto-bid.

Stop it SloStang your making to much sense for some ;)
02Bison might come back and accuse you of having a hatred of all DII schools ;D ;D

SloStang
09-18-2006, 07:11 PM
Cal Poly had another good news, bad news game and it was frustrating to watch.

The good news. *The defense held Sac State to 146 total yards, 40 yards passing, racked up 5 sacks and 2 INTs. *Sac State did not give up a sack against Boise State. The defense has only allowed a total of 125 yards passing in all three games combined (9 to FL, 76 to WSU and 40 to Sac State). *The 10 points that Sac scored were set up by fumbles from the offense. *The first at the 32 yard line that Sac converted into 3 points. *The second was on the 2 yard line on first and goal. *It was returned 79 yards to the 17 yard line and Sac State converted that into 7 and made the score 17-10 instead of 24-3.

The bad news. *The offense finally found their passing offense, but lost James Noble on the second offensive serries to a sprained ankle. *Cal Poly was already with out their #2 RB, Fred Hives, who broke his toe in the first game. *Cal Poly offense put up 356 yards but had costly turnovers and they missed a 41 yard and 42 yard field goals.

If Cal Poly's offense plays like this on Saturday against San Jose State, it will be a long day. *

Good luck to the Bison Saturday against Ball State. *Go out and bring another I-AA victory over a I-A program.

SloStang
09-19-2006, 01:57 PM
Cal Poly will play Saturday against San Jose State with out the services of RB James Noble (sprained ankle) or their second string RB Fred Hives (out with a broken toe). That will make it a lot tougher to run on the Spartans.

Bisonguy
09-19-2006, 05:37 PM
That really sucks. Oh well, the Cal-Poly D will just have to step it up and not allow any points (or even better yet, put some on the board for the Mustangs :)).

Best of luck against SJSU!!

sambini
09-20-2006, 02:30 AM
Good Luck to Cal POLY THIS WEEKEND+++++++++

SloStang
09-24-2006, 07:06 PM
Congrats on the big win. Walker's numbers were unbelievable.

Same story for the Mustangs. Defense looked impressive, the offense is struggling. The only bright spot on the offense was Ramses Barden. He had 107 yards and a TD. Cal Poly better work out their problems on offense or it will be a long season. I am hoping that getting back James Noble will jump start the offense.

Good luck to the Bison next week.

sambini
09-24-2006, 10:44 PM
Thanks SLO STANG and Good luck TO YOU FOLKS ALSO++++++++++++

SloStang
10-02-2006, 06:52 PM
Congrats on the big win. *Walker's numbers were unbelievable.

Same story for the Mustangs. *Defense looked impressive, the offense is struggling. *The only bright spot on the offense was Ramses Barden. *He had 107 yards and a TD. *Cal Poly better work out their problems on offense or it will be a long season. *I am hoping that getting back James Noble will jump start the offense.

Good luck to the Bison next week.
The only thing that changed since last week is James Noble returned and rushed for 130 yards on 27 carries. Even with James back the offense struggled. The play calling is to predictable. The defense bailed us out again by forcing 4 turnovers in the 4th quarter. We better find some offensive consistancy this week or it will be a long night against Davis.

Good luck to the Bison this week against GSU. Two great programs with alot of tradition. Should be a great game.

SloStang
10-24-2006, 03:40 AM
Great game by the Bison and a real tough loss. You did both your school, the GWFC and I-AA proud even in the loss. If the Bison continue to play the way they have there are going to be a lot of Bison fans upset. Upset that you are 10-1 and not in the playoffs.

I have to hand it to the Jacks. *They did not fold their tent when they started 0-3 with a loss to a DIII team and they did not fold trailing Cal Poly 28-6 heading into the fourth quarter.

The offensive play calling by Cal Poly in the fourth quarter was as bad as I have seen at Cal Poly since Ellerson arrived. *They seemed to not care if they picked up first down and it looked like they thought they had won the game. *Three straight three and outs and two shanked punts latter and not one pass. *Hell they even ran on a third and 14 leading by only seven with a little over 3:00 minutes left. *Following that run they had shank a 17 yard punt to set up SDSU inside the 50 yard line. *The topper was throwing into the endzone and getting intercepted when all they needed was about ten yards to set up 43 yard *game winning FG. *I hope this game will wake up the offensive staff and Ellerson. *Even with as good as a defense they have, they can not win games all by themselves. *The sad part is they have two real weapons in Noble and Barden. *They need to learn how to use them better. *

SloStang
11-07-2006, 02:48 PM
Tough loss to a very good Montana team. We had our chances and did not cash in on them. There was a real questionable call on 4th and 13 on Montana's final drive. The receiver caught the ball right at the marker and runs untouched two yards back trying to avoid the tackle. He is then tackled there and they spot the ball where he caught ball, not where he was tackled. Even the Missoula paper said that it was a very questionable spot. Bad calls are part of the game and we had our chances to stop them after that call.

The defense looked good all day with the exception of Montana's final drive and they recorded 7 sacks on the day. The offense looked better but struggled in the red zone. Barden was unstoppable and I feel they should have gone to him more often. Cal Poly must have ran five times on third in long and came up short on all but one. A few more passes Barden's way on those situations could have made a big difference.

I am looking forward to the game this week against the Bison. Huge stakes for this one.

kchats
03-23-2007, 02:36 AM
From the Denver Post.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_5492571?source=rss

And finally, Cal Poly has a highly touted cornerback named Courtney Brown. You don't suppose the Broncos ...nah. Been there, done that.

SloStang
03-23-2007, 04:16 AM
Courtney Brown had an outstanding day and turn some NFL scouts heads at a Pro Day at San Jose State in early March. He ran a 4.32 forty, had a 41.5" verticle and did 15 reps on the bench. Cal Poly's Pro Day is March 26th were he will try to improve on those numbers.