PDA

View Full Version : NSIC expansion vote on Monday

tony
03-28-2007, 12:57 PM
http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/160980

I think the NSIC would be crazy not to take all four schools and split into two divisions. Interesting that there has been no talk of an early-exit penalty - doesn't sound like there is going to be one.

That said, what if the NSIC doesn't take Minnesota State - Mankato? I kind of see them going DI (that could get very interesting) and might even end up pulling St. Cloud with them.

Now, if that happens, it'd be very interesting to see who the Mid Con would want if they choose to expand and if more schools closer to IN and IL don't move up. I sure think Minnesota State - Mankato would be the leading contender. They are bigger, they are closer, and they can claim to bring in a big market in Minneapolis. I sure don't like the idea of even more NCC schools moving up, but Mankato is really an interesting prospect. I'd love to see the Mid-Con tourney in the Target Center, for example.

Bison_Dan
03-28-2007, 01:06 PM
http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/160980

I think the NSIC would be crazy not to take all four schools and split into two divisions. Interesting that there has been no talk of an early-exit penalty - doesn't sound like there is going to be one.

That said, what if the NSIC doesn't take Minnesota State - Mankato? I kind of see them going DI (that could get very interesting) and might even end up pulling St. Cloud with them.

Now, if that happens, it'd be very interesting to see who the Mid Con would want if they choose to expand and if more schools closer to IN and IL don't move up. I sure think Minnesota State - Mankato would be the leading contender. They are bigger, they are closer, and they can claim to bring in a big market in Minneapolis. I sure don't like the idea of even more NCC schools moving up, but Mankato is really an interesting prospect. I'd love to see the Mid-Con tourney in the Target Center, for example.

I doubt that the State of MN will be wild about supporting St. Cloud and Mankota moving up. I think the NSIC will take them all. Now they have to defund their fb program. I think both are alittle glad about the scholarship reductions it will take some pressure off of their athletic programs.

tony
03-28-2007, 02:17 PM
I was only talking about what might happen if the NSIC decides not to take MSU-Mankato. If the NSIC takes them, I don't think it's an issue. Minnesota might not be wild about having another DI in the family but it's not like Mankato would have any other decent options.

mikelsch
03-28-2007, 03:14 PM
Why would the NSIC think about not taking MSU-Mankato?

IowaBisonToo
03-28-2007, 04:05 PM
I think it's a non-issue. I think Butch Raymond sees a benefit to having all four schools in the conference and has probably voiced those opinions to both the ADs and Presidents at the current NSIC member schools. As stated, it's not that big a difference at these schools to reduce the number of scholarships in football and it in turn may help out the other programs; i.e. better compliance for Title IX for those that might be struggling.

The only question I have is, how will that bode for the competitiveness of the football teams compared to conferences like the GLIAC and MIAA. It will be interesting to see how this whole thing plays out to say the least.

imabison
03-28-2007, 08:41 PM
I think it's a non-issue. *I think Butch Raymond sees a benefit to having all four schools in the conference and has probably voiced those opinions to both the ADs and Presidents at the current NSIC member schools. *As stated, it's not that big a difference at these schools to reduce the number of scholarships in football and it in turn may help out the other programs; i.e. better compliance for Title IX for those that might be struggling.

The only question I have is, how will that bode for the competitiveness of the football teams compared to conferences like the GLIAC and MIAA. *It will be interesting to see how this whole thing plays out to say the least.

Can someone explain how the scholarship in Football for instance works? Are the schools required to drop the scholarships immediately? Are the existing scholarships allowed to expire?

It would really suck having to pull a student athlete on a scholarship aside and say, oh by the way you no long have funds from the school to assist with your needs.

Shawn-O
03-28-2007, 10:32 PM
It's going to be the best hoops conference in the country for D2 when they're done.

bisonranch
04-02-2007, 10:44 PM
4 schools in: *http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=161569

Wonder if there will be 2 divisions.

Bisonguy
04-02-2007, 11:15 PM
WWRTD??

JJ_Penn
04-02-2007, 11:28 PM
I was hoping UMD would be left in the cold...understand that it will be a great conference with or without them, but they were completely classless when they left the NSIC just a few years ago, making some lame comments about educational differences among other reasons...guess those were addressed so that they could "lower" themselves to go back to the NSIC. ::) Will be interesting to see how long it takes before the added teams are begging for more scholarships and how long the teams that have 2-3 scholarships in football last when compared to those with 24. Would the lower become committed to increasing this and would the higher be willing to decrease for equal playing ground.

ndsubison
04-03-2007, 01:02 AM
If the NSIC wants to be a respectable DII conference, they need to get their shit in order and at least push for a 30 scholarship minimum for FB, preferably 36. I bet mary could find a way to fund 36, so could Upper Iowa. They need to sit down and get everybody on the same page and make people go for 36. If not, make them fund 30. Otherwise, it's going to be Grand Valley year after year after year until somebody gets tired of it. I bet the MIAA funds 36. If these people want to salvage any semblance of DII, they'd better fund it and not let the 'have-nots' get majority rule. Wow, am I glad we got outta that mess 8-)

TheBisonator
04-03-2007, 02:15 AM
If the NSIC wants to be a respectable DII conference, they need to get their shit in order and at least push for a 30 scholarship minimum for FB, preferably 36. *I bet mary could find a way to fund 36, so could Upper Iowa. *They need to sit down and get everybody on the same page and make people go for 36. *If not, make them fund 30. *Otherwise, it's going to be Grand Valley year after year after year until somebody gets tired of it. *I bet the MIAA funds 36. *If these people want to salvage any semblance of DII, they'd better fund it and not let the 'have-nots' get majority rule. *Wow, am I glad we got outta that mess 8-)

The Division II ship is sinking fast, and we should've gotten off the boat at least 20 years ago rather than three.

MinotBison
04-03-2007, 04:29 AM
If the NSIC wants to be a respectable DII conference, they need to get their shit in order and at least push for a 30 scholarship minimum for FB, preferably 36. *I bet mary could find a way to fund 36, so could Upper Iowa. *They need to sit down and get everybody on the same page and make people go for 36. *If not, make them fund 30. *Otherwise, it's going to be Grand Valley year after year after year until somebody gets tired of it. *I bet the MIAA funds 36. *If these people want to salvage any semblance of DII, they'd better fund it and not let the 'have-nots' get majority rule. *Wow, am I glad we got outta that mess 8-)

Maybe it's been posted somewhere before, but did I read that Moorhead's FB scholarship level is at something like 7??????? Someone correct me if I am wrong.

sambini
04-03-2007, 04:30 AM
good luck to the schools that are left from the NCC. I'M GLAD WERE OUT OF THAT MESS+++

Hammersmith
04-03-2007, 05:26 AM

Maybe it's been posted somewhere before, but did I read that Moorhead's FB scholarship level is at something like 7??????? *Someone correct me if I am wrong.

MSU-M: 8.44
UM-C: 11.7(wants to be at 17 by 2009)
Winona: 17.66
Mary: 25(?)

Of the 4 new additions, one had 36 scholies last season(SCSU?) and the rest had less than 30.

tony
04-03-2007, 11:21 AM
WWRTD??

Does WWRTD=What will Roger Thomas do?

Seriously, he must be at retirement age so hopefully he does a lot of fishing or something fun. If he does keep on working, I sure don't want him getting a job as an FCS playoff selection committee member :)

So with Augie, Minnesota State - Mankato, St. Cloud State, and UM-Duluth all with new homes that leaves UN-O as the only former NCC member scrambling for a conference (excluding USD and UND of course). Hopefully, the MIAA takes UN-O.

BisonMav
04-03-2007, 12:07 PM
WWRTD??

Does WWRTD=What will Roger Thomas do?

Seriously, he must be at retirement age so hopefully he does a lot of fishing or something fun. If he does keep on working, I sure don't want him getting a job as an FCS playoff selection committee member :)

The thought of RT on the FCS playoff selection committee just caused me to lose my breakfast. :-[

Paulie
04-03-2007, 09:48 PM
good luck to the schools that are left from the NCC. I'M GLAD WERE OUT OF THAT MESS+++

So you're saying good luck to UNO then basically. :o

sambini
04-04-2007, 03:41 AM
UNO IS GOING TO THE SAME LEAGUE AS PITT STATE?

sambini
04-04-2007, 03:43 AM

So you're saying good luck to UNO then basically. * :o

Basically I screwed up must be the medication I'm on. sorry... my oh my

Paulie
04-04-2007, 02:30 PM
I don't think UNO has officially been invited to join the MIAA or whatever it's called yet.

sambini
04-04-2007, 06:34 PM
It would be a natural fit.

tony
04-06-2007, 11:27 AM
Some nice reporting by Heath Holzer of the Forum: http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=161876&section=Columnists&columnist=H eath%20Hotzler

He dug up the $50,000 buyout clause, for example.

WePharm
04-07-2007, 01:53 AM
Is there room for 15 if the trucks change there mind? ;D ;D

sambini
04-07-2007, 02:54 AM
The trucks could help out the DAC 8 IF THEY CHANGE THERE MIND.

MinotBison
04-07-2007, 04:31 AM

The trucks vs. Mayville would be a natural rivalry, don't you think?

sambini
04-07-2007, 04:56 AM
Party at STUBS IN MAYVILLE OR FLOYDS IN PORTLAND.

TheDoctor
04-08-2007, 04:33 PM

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Valley City would appreciate that! ;)

TheDoctor
04-08-2007, 04:34 PM
Party at STUBS IN MAYVILLE OR FLOYDS IN PORTLAND.

I'll bet the specialize in Budweiser! ;)

Greenie
07-31-2007, 03:55 PM
NSIC Splits Into Divisions for Football for 2008-2009
http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/173492

North
Mary
MSU-Moorhead
UM-Duluth
UM-Crookston
Bemidji State
Northern State
St. Cloud State

South
Winona State
Augustana
Upper Iowa
MSU-Mankato
Concordia-St. Paul
SW MN State
Wayne State

"Teams will play six divisional games, four inter-division games and one non-conference game per season. Division champions will have the best record in divisional play. The NSIC championship will be awarded to the team with the best overall record."

"The NSIC also voted to maintain the league’s single-division format for men’s and women’s basketball. Teams will play 20 conference games during the regular season. Eight teams will advance to the conference tournament."

sambini
07-31-2007, 05:05 PM
Thanks Greenie for the info.

onbison09
07-31-2007, 05:25 PM
I am sooo glad we're out of D2. What took us so long?? Hopefully we don't play Mankato again so they're aren't any more riots. UNO deserves a conference though. Too bad they won't be playing the Trucks anymore they always beat them.

Greenie
07-31-2007, 05:48 PM
UNO is joining the MIAA in 2008-2009
http://www.themiaa.com/MIAANewsArticle.asp?News=1778

10 other MIAA schools
Emporia State
Fort Hays State
Missouri Southern State
Missouri Western State
Northwest Missouri State
Pittsburg State
Southwest Baptist University
Truman State
University of Central Missouri
Washburn University

RodentiaX
07-31-2007, 06:13 PM
The NCC might have been able to survive as a football-only conference, but my understanding is that D-II doesn't allow this. For the long term will the teams that have to cut scholarships going to accept this? Or will they be looking at eventually finding better options, if they exist?

TheBisonator
07-31-2007, 08:40 PM
I am sooo glad we're out of D2. What took us so long??

I ask myself that question a lot of times...

56BISON73
07-31-2007, 10:29 PM
I ask myself that question a lot of times...
When I look back to the early 70s and look at the talent NDSU had then I have wondered why they didnt make the move along time ago. PL

Herd
07-31-2007, 10:56 PM
Wow, St. Cloud should own the NSIC North, who will touch them. The South will be much more competitive.

I suppose if schollies are cut at St. Cloud, it might be different.

sambini
08-01-2007, 01:34 AM
When I look back to the early 70s and look at the talent NDSU had then I have wondered why they didnt make the move along time ago. PL
In Ed Kolpacks book on Bison football. He said the Big Sky wanted NDSU. And in the late 70s UNI LEFT FOR D1.

Bisonguy
08-01-2007, 04:35 AM
In Ed Kolpacks book on Bison football. He said the Big Sky wanted NDSU. And in the late 70s UNI LEFT FOR D1.

Where was that at in the book?

The only mention of the Big Sky I remember in the book is that NDSU and UND applied for membership in 1979 or 1980 and were rejected. :confused:

TheDoctor
08-20-2007, 06:00 AM
Sambini??????????????????? ;)