PDA

View Full Version : Troubles in Truck land???

IowaBisonToo
04-11-2007, 03:59 PM
Check out the linky:

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=162368&section=news

Does this bode well for UND? Is the State of ND going to get the shaft for the bill? Are the doctors, lawyers and everyone else going to come through and get this paid? What about the fees that have yet to be incurred?

All this and much more when we return to our local soap opera.

WePharm
04-11-2007, 04:31 PM
I think your post is right on. Especially "how much more is this going to cost". Heck they have a long ways to go yet. They have a lot of people who can cough up big bucks. It'll give them something to "rally the troops" with.

IowaBisonToo
04-11-2007, 04:57 PM
I'd like to hear from the UND fans ans see what they really think about this whole situation. Personally, I could care less whether or not they have the name but, I think it would be completely unfair to the citizens of ND if they get stuck with the bill or a fight then may not agree with.

How 'bout it guys? Are you writing checks? Are getting your doctor, lawyer, business friends to do the same? Or is the state going to get stuck with the multi-million dollar tab? :-? :-?

BisonMav
04-11-2007, 09:36 PM
A few years back, Mark Andrews failed his re-election bid, partially because he brought in non-North Dakota Attorneys to sue St Lukes for his Wife. Now UND is using Salt Lake City based attorney's. Are there not any good attorney's in North Dakota? Strike Two..... :-[
Salt Lake City-based attorneys representing North Dakota in a lawsuit against the NCAA have billed more than $315,000 to the University of North Dakota Foundation.

NDSUstudent
04-11-2007, 09:57 PM
UND can spend a billion dollars saving their name for all I care as long as the state of ND doesn't give them a dime. However, I do think they are a bit crazy trying to fight the NCAA and take on going DI at the same time, it's going to take a good chunk of cash to be succesful in both of those endeavors.

NorthernBison
04-11-2007, 10:04 PM
There is nothing to worry about. I know this because President Kupchella said so. He has absolute confidence that there will be enough money to pay all of the legal costs.

Before anybody throws a hissy fit about that first paragraph, let me say that I phrased it to get the best reaction but it was only a little bit "tongue in cheek". The reality of the situation so far is that Kupchella's assurances are based on pledges made to him that any shortfalls will be made up by one or more donors (not sure if the Engelstad Family has officially been identified or if that is rumor). For Kupchella to make the assurances he made, he must be extremely certain of the willingness and ability of those people to deliver the cash.

I'm perfectly willing to wait patiently to see how this turns out. The only thing that puzzles me, and should concern others also, is exactly when these donors expect to step in and cover the balance. I assume that the legal bills that remain unpaid require payment within some sort of reasonable timeframe. I don't see this whole thing ending soon unless a settlement is reached out of court.

Finally, what is the incentive for the common man to contribute to the fund if some wealthy person is going to pick up the eventual bill anyway? Wouldn't what we know so far, deter donations?

99Bison
04-11-2007, 10:09 PM
Does anyone really know what chaning the nickname will do to the RE situation... Heard lots of rumors over the years since the hockey arena about completly pulling support of hockey arena, etc, etc... Essentially devistating the athletic program.

Could it really be that UND knows this and really has no other options? Or atleast if they fight it to the end they can turn around and negotiate or even sue the RE foundation if they actually stick to the original demands?

BisBison
04-11-2007, 10:09 PM
Finally, what is the incentive for the common man to contribute to the fund if some wealthy person is going to pick up the eventual bill anyway? *Wouldn't what we know so far, deter donations?

I know it's detered my donation ;)

WYOBISONMAN
04-11-2007, 11:49 PM
Finally, what is the incentive for the common man to contribute to the fund if some wealthy person is going to pick up the eventual bill anyway? *Wouldn't what we know so far, deter donations?

I know it's detered my donation ;)

.......I am out too....no money from me!!

kchats
04-12-2007, 12:22 AM
You have to love someone saying whatever the costs we will pay them. I would hope the people paying the bills at least have some say in what the money is spent on.

A little more money needed.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/index.cfm?id=34068&section=News

That report estimates UND's athletic expenses will rise from $9,473,486 this school year to $18,051,734 by the 2012-2013 school year, UND's last year as a Division II school.

sambini
04-12-2007, 01:08 AM
All I can say is MY OH MY...

Tatanka
04-12-2007, 01:15 AM
RUH ROH
http://www.tdfast.com/wallpapers/images/1134992638.gif

roadwarrior
04-12-2007, 01:26 AM
Didn't they originally think they would need an additional $2 million?

DIBISON
04-12-2007, 02:36 AM
And now the DI move will cost them an additional 9 million?

kchats
04-12-2007, 03:16 AM
I believe NDSU has doubled or nearly doubled the athletic budget since they made the move to division I. Wasn't NDSU at around $5.5 million in 2002 and now they are nearly at $10 million and will exceed that fairly soon.

Hammersmith
04-12-2007, 03:28 AM
I believe NDSU has doubled or nearly doubled the athletic budget since they made the move to division I. *Wasn't NDSU at around $5.5 million in 2002 and now they are nearly at $10 million and will exceed that fairly soon.
FY 2002: $5.1M
FY 2007: about $8.5-9.0M
FY 2009: about $9.5-10.0M (projected)

There's a bit of difference between an increase of $4.8M(NDSU) and an increase of $8.5M(UND).

bincitysioux
04-12-2007, 03:37 AM

There's a bit of difference between an increase of $4.8M(NDSU) and an increase of $8.5M(UND).

I'd guess that all depends on what a given athletic department is worth, doesn't it? :o ;)

Hammersmith
04-12-2007, 03:43 AM

I'd guess that all depends on what a given athletic department is worth, doesn't it? * :o ;)
Yeah.....all that extra money and UND is still beneath us. Damn NDSU athletics are a steal! I'll see your :o ;) and raise you a :P

;)

bincitysioux
04-12-2007, 03:47 AM
Yeah.....all that extra money and UND is still beneath us. Damn NDSU athletics are a steal! *I'll see your *:o ;) and raise you a *:P

;)

I heard you 'SU fans had a 'wrassler' do real good this year! GO ULTIMATE WARRIOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

Hammersmith
04-12-2007, 04:10 AM
Boy, I sure walked into that one, didn't I?

You win this round, bincity. :)

BisonMav
04-12-2007, 12:36 PM

I'd guess that all depends on what a given athletic department is worth, doesn't it? * :o ;)

What's the budget distribution of the 2 hockey programs?

tony
04-12-2007, 01:44 PM
NDSU is going to go from 5.1 million to $11 million by the time DI is done, I bet.

UND's task force was telling people ten months ago that DI was going to cost UND $1 million.

Anyway, UND's move will cost more than NDSU's if only because UND always does half as much with twice the money :) *

IowaBison
04-12-2007, 01:51 PM
A little math for the UND student body:

current student support $800,000
increase in support 1,800,000 (that's 45% of the increase being put on the shoulders of the students)
total 2,400,000

divided by 11,250 FTEs that's more that $200/student/year (213.33)

not a bad deal if you are a supporter of UND athletics, if you're not.....

UND also charges students for hockey tickets-$7 a pop
if you're a hockey only fan your tickets for 16 games 'comes to' $325
that's some serious cash money

If you're a football fan only (like I was in college) with six games it comes to more than $35/ticket

DIBISON
04-13-2007, 02:06 PM
I heard something else last night on the late TV news. The consultant reported that the Firetrucks do not have the facilities to support a DI move, other than the REA. An extra $9 million for operations, better facilities............

IowaBison
04-13-2007, 06:44 PM
A little math for the UND student body:

current student support $800,000 1.1 million
increase in support 1,800,000 (that's 45% of the increase being put on the shoulders of the students)
total 2,400,000 2.9 million

divided by 11,250 FTEs that's more that $200/student/year (213.33, $255)

not a bad deal if you are a supporter of UND athletics, if you're not.....

UND also charges students for hockey tickets-$7 a pop
if you're a hockey only fan your tickets for 16 games 'comes to' $325 367
that's some serious cash money

If you're a football fan only (like I was in college) with six games it comes to more than $35 $42/ticket

BisonMav
04-15-2007, 04:28 AM
*The consultant reported that the Firetrucks do not have the facilities to support a DI move, other than the REA. *.

That could get tricky when a conference dictated schedule lands a home basketball game, against the biggest rival, in the 3000 seat Betty, because the REA has a hockey game the same night.

imabison
04-15-2007, 05:01 PM
The consultant reported that the Firetrucks do not have the facilities to support a DI move, other than the REA. .

That could get tricky when a conference dictated schedule lands a home basketball game, against the biggest rival, in the 3000 seat Betty, because the REA has a hockey game the same night.

This not a problem for them. Why they will just tell the other Hockey team that you will be playing a FRI SUN series. You will only have to pay for an extra night and food for your players.

We will make sure you have space reserved at JUDY's for you player for Saturday even... :D ;D ;D

RedRiver
04-30-2007, 03:05 PM
http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/index.cfm?id=36146&section=homepage

Herd Mentality
04-30-2007, 03:21 PM
Does anyone know off hand if they cap the number of tickets for football set aside for the NDSU students for every game....or is that just done for "sellout" type games. What is that number?

imabison
04-30-2007, 03:45 PM
Does anyone know off hand if they cap the number of tickets for football set aside for the NDSU students for every game....or is that just done for "sellout" type games. What is that number?
This is not official, but its my understanding they allow x amount of tickets for every game, and increase it if the game is not sold out.

DIBISON
05-01-2007, 02:15 AM
http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/index.cfm?id=36146&section=homepage

The story was on the TV news tonight also, reporting that the students will not support a DI move until they get more specific information. Hmmmm...

sambini
05-01-2007, 03:42 AM
All i can say is my oh my...

NorthernBison
05-01-2007, 10:01 PM
The best quote in the story I read dealt with Kupchella assuring the students that the fees would only go so high "on his watch". That should make the students feel better for at least the next semester. Hasn't he already announced his retirement?

sambini
05-01-2007, 10:29 PM
When does he retire in January2008?

Hammersmith
05-01-2007, 10:49 PM
When does he retire in January2008?
End of January 2008 at the latest. There's an implication that he wouldn't mind retiring a bit sooner, but since we haven't heard of any search committees being formed yet, I don't expect the job to be filled much before his deadline. I think the typical search window for a university president is 6-9 months unless the decision has already been made to promote from within. I could be wrong, but I don't expect UND to do that. I think they'll follow NDSU's lead and hire a VP from an FCS or non-BCS, FBS school somewhere in the midwest or the mountain states. Big Sky, Gateway, Mid-Con, WAC, or MAC schools would all be good choices to hire from. A VP from a law/med/research school like Montana would be the best, IMO.

Hammersmith
05-03-2007, 03:13 PM
...but since we haven't heard of any search committees being formed yet...

Wow, looks like my comment got things rolling:
Group to find Kupchella replacement named today (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=164584)

I guess I have more power than I thought.

I wish for Lindsay Lohan, buck naked, walking like a crab.

Well ... it was worth a try.

If you don't like Family Guy, try:
"Beautiful, naked, big-titted women just don't fall out of the sky, ya know.."

Stromer
05-03-2007, 06:26 PM
[QUOTE=Hammersmith;127591]
I guess I have more power than I thought.

Well ... it was worth a try.

QUOTE]

Give it some time, man! :)

IowaBisonToo
05-03-2007, 06:53 PM
Wow, looks like my comment got things rolling:
Group to find Kupchella replacement named today (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=164584)

Let's see, what's Paris Hilton's pet name for her?

FIRE CROTCH!!!

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Tatanka
05-04-2007, 01:16 PM
Let's see, what's Paris Hilton's pet name for her?

FIRE CROTCH!!!

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:
Kupchella? :eek:

Oh, Lohan. :o

sambini
05-05-2007, 02:42 AM
How about those Firetrucks...

Yo
05-05-2007, 10:55 PM
Kupchella? :eek:

Oh, Lohan. :o

Now that is funny

imabison
05-10-2007, 06:55 PM
http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=165268

That School up north is trying to arrange settlement with the NCAA.

The article begins

GRAND FORKS, N.D. (AP) - University of North Dakota President Charles Kupchella says the school is trying to settle its lawsuit against the NCAA over the Fighting Sioux nickname, though he will not discuss details.

"We are working with the NCAA to see if we can settle our differences before this ever goes to court," Kupchella told UND faculty and administrators Wednesday.

RedRiver
05-11-2007, 07:48 PM

The article begins

GRAND FORKS, N.D. (AP) - University of North Dakota President Charles Kupchella says the school is trying to settle its lawsuit against the NCAA over the Fighting Sioux nickname, though he will not discuss details.

"We are working with the NCAA to see if we can settle our differences before this ever goes to court," Kupchella told UND faculty and administrators Wednesday.

Und probably feels like they are getting deeper and deeper into a hole with the huge expenses incurred so far, scheduling problems, and the constant media exposure related to this issue. It looks like a losing battle to alot of people!!

dmksioux
06-04-2007, 10:07 PM
I'd like to hear from the UND fans ans see what they really think about this whole situation. Personally, I could care less whether or not they have the name but, I think it would be completely unfair to the citizens of ND if they get stuck with the bill or a fight then may not agree with.

How 'bout it guys? Are you writing checks? Are getting your doctor, lawyer, business friends to do the same? Or is the state going to get stuck with the multi-million dollar tab? :-? :-?

It looks as though the bills are being paid...no need for the citizens of North Dakota to "bail UND out."
http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/index.cfm?id=39983&section=News

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dmksioux
06-04-2007, 10:10 PM

The article begins

The reason they are working on a potential settlement is because the judge in the case has encouraged both sides to do so on a couple of occassions...

imabison
06-05-2007, 12:27 AM
The reason they are working on a potential settlement is because the judge in the case has encouraged both sides to do so on a couple of occassions...
And what does that tell you?

NCAA is willing to spend millions to drag it out. Chances are that the Englestad Foundation is not willing to spend Millions to carry it to the end.

I think the Judge sees the writing on the wall.

Shawn-O
06-05-2007, 12:43 AM
And what does that tell you?

NCAA is willing to spend millions to drag it out. Chances are that the Englestad Foundation is not willing to spend Millions to carry it to the end.

I think the Judge sees the writing on the wall.

As a member school, you should be udderly outraged by the NCAA's willingness to do so.

lakesbison
06-05-2007, 01:28 AM
CARRY ON NCAA.. Im a florida state fan. you saw that down at Frozen Four. ha ha ha.. j/playing with ya.

imabison
06-05-2007, 02:16 AM
As a member school, you should be udderly outraged by the NCAA's willingness to do so.
We agree to disagree.

THEsocalledfan
06-29-2007, 07:50 PM
I have to admit I was cruising SS.com as a guest (I was banned from the site for annoying DaveK), and I came across a grand conspiracy about their AD having very rocky relations with his coaches. Pretty interesting read for any interested in the Trucks.

THEsocalledfan
06-29-2007, 07:54 PM

I'm with you, Shawn-O. I got your back. I would rip the NCAA again, but I have done it too many times to mention on this issue.

But, I also (please no one comdemn me for saying this!) think NDSU's true rivalry should be renewed. So, my opinion does not matter on this board.

TransAmBison
06-29-2007, 08:11 PM
I'm with you, Shawn-O. I got your back. I would rip the NCAA again, but I have done it too many times to mention on this issue.

But, I also (please no one comdemn me for saying this!) think NDSU's true rivalry should be renewed. So, my opinion does not matter on this board.
All in good time, my friend. Patience grasshopper.

lakesbison
06-29-2007, 08:58 PM
*puke* NOT *puke*

TransAmBison
06-29-2007, 09:02 PM
*puke* NOT *puke*
I have to give it to you, you have gotten funnier...:)

Shawn-O
06-29-2007, 09:11 PM
EVERYONE??!! I'D LIKE TO ANNOUNCE THAT LAKES AND I ARE FRIENDS!!!!

:howdy: :cheers: :bong:

http://www.rob-clarkson.com/duff-brewery/martin/01.jpg

sambini
06-29-2007, 09:22 PM
It just proves we can all get along+++

56BISON73
06-30-2007, 12:47 AM

OH MY????? LOL
I have to admit he has gotten better.:bow: PL

sambini
06-30-2007, 04:09 AM
iTS A MIRACLE PL....

buffalobilljr
06-30-2007, 05:31 PM
That's how Rodney would want it to be!!!

sambini
07-01-2007, 05:03 AM
That's how Rodney would want it to be!!!
tHATS RIGHT BILLY JR++++

THEsocalledfan
07-03-2007, 12:37 AM
All in good time, my friend. Patience grasshopper.

Who the h$ll is grasshopper? If this is some kind of underhanded way of calling me a truck fan, I am going to pop you in the melon next time I see you!

You have forgotten the face of your father....

56BISON73
07-03-2007, 01:38 AM
Who the h$ll is grasshopper? If this is some kind of underhanded way of calling me a truck fan, I am going to pop you in the melon next time I see you!

"Patience Grasshopper" was the line the master in the Kung Fo Series would tell the young Cain who wanted to move faster in the process than what he was ready for.
I do believe he was joking with you. LOL PL

TransAmBison
07-03-2007, 02:07 AM

Ahhh, now you speak in reference to that which we may spar. Sheemie, it is best you let men make these decisions. Go play with Oy, there's a good lad. Now...patience leafhopper. :D

sambini
08-18-2007, 04:20 AM
"Patience Grasshopper" was the line the master in the Kung Fo Series would tell the young Cain who wanted to move faster in the process than what he was ready for.
I do believe he was joking with you. LOL PLPL I remember those Kung Fu shows. We are showing are age grasshopper.

TheDoctor
08-20-2007, 05:51 AM
I thought this was turning into a fight, but then everyone got confused! Who am I supposed to be defending? I am with the Bison fan. Which one is that again? PL- PLEASE--- NO Kung Fu! ;)