PDA

View Full Version : Its Just Sick What the Suit is Costing

TheDoctor
04-15-2007, 06:13 AM
The bill on this thing is just starting and is already outrageous! GIVE IT UP! ;)

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=162779&section=news

Stromer
04-15-2007, 06:40 AM
Can't give up. To give up means to give in to all what is wrong in the world.

BisonMav
04-15-2007, 01:30 PM
Can't give up. *To give up means to give in to all what is wrong in the world. *

A few lawyers from Utah will be able to retire from this case. UND could have probably started funding a nice 5-6000 seat basketball arena with all the money spent on the suit, when all is said and done. :-[

Shawn-O
04-15-2007, 02:51 PM
You all should be waving your green and yellow pom-poms for UND to win this suit....it's not costing you anything as taxpayers. If the NCAA prevails and the nickname and logo needs to change, who do you think will be paying for that?.

BisonMav
04-15-2007, 03:00 PM
You all should be waving your green and yellow pom-poms for UND to win this suit....it's not costing you anything as taxpayers. *If the NCAA prevails and the nickname and logo needs to change, who do you think will be paying for that?. *

At least that money would be staying in North Dakota.

Shawn-O
04-15-2007, 03:02 PM
You all should be waving your green and yellow pom-poms for UND to win this suit....it's not costing you anything as taxpayers. *If the NCAA prevails and the nickname and logo needs to change, who do you think will be paying for that?. *

No taxpayer money is leaving the state currently, so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

BisonMav
04-15-2007, 03:11 PM
No taxpayer money is leaving the state currently, so I'm not sure what you're getting at. *

True, but money that could be donated to North Dakota University to help it's Division I transition, is being donated to a law firm in Utah. 300,000 is approx 30 scholarships. It comes down to what's more important. I'm sure the women's hockey program would love some of that money, or baseball or track.

Shawn-O
04-15-2007, 03:25 PM
True, but money that could be donated to North Dakota University to help it's Division I transition, is being donated to a law firm in Utah. *300,000 is approx 30 scholarships. *It comes down to what's more important. *I'm sure the women's hockey program would love some of that money, or baseball or track.

I understand where you're coming from, but that assumes a donor mentality of "I'm giving X dollars to UND this year, better earmark X% of that to the ligitation fund." The other litigation donors I've talked to are just plain "digging deeper" because they believe it's worth fighting for, in addition to other giving. That's the reason I don't see an opportunity cost here, EagleBison. We're going to need to "dig deeper" into our pocketbooks for this DI move anyway, so there are challenges, no question.

bincitysioux
04-15-2007, 03:47 PM
The bill on this thing is just starting and is already outrageous! *GIVE IT UP! *;)

How much do you think it would cost to jackhammer and replace all of the logos out of the UND campus? My guess is somewhere between $2 million and $5 million. The University and North Dakota's taxpayers would most likely have to pay for that. The lawsuit is a bargain and it is being privately funded. Not to mention it's the right thing to do.

Mr._Bill
04-15-2007, 04:03 PM
No taxpayer money is leaving the state currently, so I'm not sure what you're getting at. *

True, but money that could be donated to North Dakota University to help it's Division I transition, is being donated to a law firm in Utah. *300,000 is approx 30 scholarships. *It comes down to what's more important. *I'm sure the women's hockey program would love some of that money, or baseball or track.

They are trying to WIN the lawsuit, correct? A firm that specializes in that type of litigation would be recommended, correct? Why do you think they are working with a Utah law firm? It doesn't take much logic to figure this one out.

It's UND private donations, leave them alone. If this was happening at NDSU, then I would hope that you would all be pissed at this total waste of resources. But this is UND mired in the muck, so just enjoy it. If later ND tax dollars are involved, we can all get bend out of shape then.

Shawn-O
04-15-2007, 04:08 PM

They are trying to WIN the lawsuit, correct? *A firm that specializes in that type of litigation would be recommended, correct? *Why do you think they are working with a Utah law firm? *It doesn't take much logic to figure this one out. *

It's UND private donations, leave them alone. *If this was happening at NDSU, then I would hope that you would all be pissed at this total waste of resources. *But this is UND mired in the muck, so just enjoy it. *If later ND tax dollars are involved, we can all get bend out of shape then.

If the NCAA said the "Bison" created an environment that was hostile and abusive, I suspect many of you would write the check.

Mr._Bill
04-15-2007, 04:11 PM
The bill on this thing is just starting and is already outrageous! *GIVE IT UP! *;)

How much do you think it would cost to jackhammer and replace all of the logos out of the UND campus? *My guess is somewhere between $2 million and $5 million. *The University and North Dakota's taxpayers would most likely have to pay for that. *The lawsuit is a bargain and it is being privately funded. *Not to mention it's the right thing to do.

Why would ND tax dollars replace all of UND's logos? *Did ND taxpayers vote to fight the NCAA? *Were ND tax payers asked if they recommend a new Nickname for UND or fighting the NCAA for the use of the Sioux nickname? *If I lived in Minot would I rather see my tax dollars support new facilities to all the Beavers to move into the NSIC, or to replace UND Indian logos?

It should once again be private donations, not ND tax dollars that replace these logos. *Just cover them up and replace them as you can afford to. *I know that the AG has been involved, but this is not a state problem, its a UND problem.

Maybe some Indian gaming $$ could be found to replace the logos. *That's who this is benefitting, correct?

Mr._Bill
04-15-2007, 04:22 PM

They are trying to WIN the lawsuit, correct? *A firm that specializes in that type of litigation would be recommended, correct? *Why do you think they are working with a Utah law firm? *It doesn't take much logic to figure this one out. *

It's UND private donations, leave them alone. *If this was happening at NDSU, then I would hope that you would all be pissed at this total waste of resources. *But this is UND mired in the muck, so just enjoy it. *If later ND tax dollars are involved, we can all get bend out of shape then.

If the NCAA said the "Bison" created an environment that was hostile and abusive, I suspect many of you would write the check.

Yeah, I'm sure the NCAA has the "buffalo" on the short list along with the Human nicknames. Your logic is rediculous.

Shawn-O
04-15-2007, 04:25 PM

Yeah, I'm sure the NCAA has the "buffalo" on the short list along with the Human nicknames. *Your logic is rediculous.

The point is that you can't begin to comprehend the emotion involved unless you're in our shoes.

Mr._Bill
04-15-2007, 04:29 PM

Yeah, I'm sure the NCAA has the "buffalo" on the short list along with the Human nicknames. *Your logic is rediculous.

The point is that you can't begin to comprehend the emotion involved unless you're in our shoes. *

I am sure it is emotional for you, and you have the kelly Green light from me! *Knock yourselves out fighting with UND money for the next 10 years. *If you start asking for state dollars, then we have a problem.

Shawn-O
04-15-2007, 04:31 PM
Don't get to comfortable that it will stop at human nicknames in our lifetime.

Mr._Bill
04-15-2007, 04:49 PM
Don't get to comfortable that it will stop at human nicknames in our lifetime. *

Totally comfortable with that one Shawn! *Until buffalo learn to speak that is. *I hope that's not in my lifetime.

Bison7925
04-15-2007, 05:21 PM

How much do you think it would cost to jackhammer and replace all of the logos out of the UND campus? *My guess is somewhere between $2 million and $5 million. *The University and North Dakota's taxpayers would most likely have to pay for that. *The lawsuit is a bargain and it is being privately funded. *Not to mention it's the right thing to do.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the State of North Dakota does not own the REA.
Doesn't the agreement with REA preclude any type of modifications to the building?
If that's the case the only alternative would be for the REA to make the changes on their own or find another tenant for the building. The firetrucks hockey team could play in the old Ralph.

02Bison
04-15-2007, 09:07 PM
As long as its not public money involved, who cares...just my two cents....

WePharm
04-16-2007, 01:17 AM
350 k and it's just getting started. Future expenses, appeals etc etc -1 million plus.

BisonMav
04-16-2007, 01:48 AM

You all missed my point, spending money on a Utah Law firm vs spending the money on NDU's athletic programs in transition. I have friends and relatives that attend and others that support NDU. I don't enjoy seeing this, I am just looking at it in a pratical way. At least one of the people I know that supports NDU, and is getting hit up for more money is getting a little concerned.

Mr._Bill
04-16-2007, 03:42 AM

You all missed my point, spending money on a Utah Law firm vs spending the money on NDU's athletic programs in transition. *I have friends and relatives that attend and others that support NDU. *I don't enjoy seeing this, I am just looking at it in a pratical way. *At least one of the people I know that supports NDU, and is getting hit up for more money is getting a little concerned. *

No, your origninal point was . . . Why are they spending money on Law Firms from Utah when they could be paying Law Firms in ND. And I said, "Because the Utah Law Firms have experience and they want to WIN.

Now you are saying . . . Why are they spending money on Legal Issues when they should be spending their money on the DI transition? Good point, you'd think a lot of UND supporters must really be questioning this whole thing. As an NDSU supporter, as long as this is done with UND donations and not ND tax dollars, I really don't care. If I were a UND supporter, you bet I'd care!

4mcruenomore
04-16-2007, 03:42 AM
Here's a good one
http://www.bismarckmandanblog.com/index.php?entry=entry070331-094852
Bashing NDSU for looking for a logo design out of state at some time in their history, lol. *This guy loves UND.

quote:This reminds me of the time NDSU wanted new branding, so they spent tens of thousands of dollars on a new logo -- out of state, mind you -- to come up with a new one. What was it? The letters N and D stacked on top of S and U. Wheeeee. To make matters worse, it was basically identical to South Dakota State University's logo. Truly a remarkable waste of money, even in the context of North Dakota state government.

Feel free to respond to this guys blog

BisonMav
04-16-2007, 03:50 AM
No, your origninal point was . . . *Why are they spending money on Law Firms from Utah when they could be paying Law Firms in ND. *And I said, "Because the Utah Law Firms have experience and they want to WIN.

Now you are saying . . . Why are they spending money on Legal Issues when they should be spending their money on the DI transition? *Good point, you'd think a lot of UND supporters must really be questioning this whole thing. *As an NDSU supporter, as long as this is done with UND donations and not ND tax dollars, I really don't care. *If I were a UND supporter, you bet I'd care!

Below are my 4 post in this thread, where do I mention ND lawyers?

Post 1
A few lawyers from Utah will be able to retire from this case. UND could have probably started funding a nice 5-6000 seat basketball arena with all the money spent on the suit, when all is said and done.

Post 2

Post 3
True, but money that could be donated to North Dakota University to help it's Division I transition, is being donated to a law firm in Utah. 300,000 is approx 30 scholarships. It comes down to what's more important. I'm sure the women's hockey program would love some of that money, or baseball or track.

Post 4
You all missed my point, spending money on a Utah Law firm vs spending the money on NDU's athletic programs in transition. I have friends and relatives that attend and others that support NDU. I don't enjoy seeing this, I am just looking at it in a pratical way. At least one of the people I know that supports NDU, and is getting hit up for more money is getting a little concerned.

TheDoctor
04-16-2007, 03:58 AM
I didn't realize I would spark such a debate :o! * * ;)

4mcruenomore
04-16-2007, 04:05 AM
I fall into the arguement all the time, but seriously, UND isn't worth it. They suck, and are f'n retarded followers. We have 8 championships, 2 Hill trophy winners, F' UND. They can keep following and trying to keep up as far as I'm concerned..........

Bison_Dan
04-16-2007, 12:15 PM
I fall into the arguement all the time, but seriously, UND isn't worth it. *They suck, and are f'n retarded followers. *We have 8 championships, 2 Hill trophy winners, F' UND. *They can keep following and trying to keep up as far as I'm concerned..........

I agree but I hope it costs a ton - what better use of alumni money than fighting a worthless lawsuit with the NCAA. :D

sambini
04-17-2007, 03:18 AM
I didn't realize I would spark such a debate :o! * * ;)
You sure did+++

NDSU1980
04-17-2007, 01:03 PM
I predict that even if UND wins the suit, they eventually have to change the name. The list of schools who no longer will play them grows every year, plus it's going to be a major hinderance to get into any good conference with the hostile name.

NorCalJack
04-17-2007, 03:44 PM
If the NCAA prevails in making UND change their name, does Sioux Falls and Sioux City have to change their name also?

56BISON73
04-17-2007, 06:14 PM
If the NCAA prevails in making UND change their name, does Sioux Falls and Sioux City have to change their name also? *

What would the NCAA do if your name was Sioux City Sue and you were white. Would they ban you from playing????

I also read an article yesterday that said said the NCAA wouldnt allow tournaments in So. Carolina because of the Confederate flag. Geeez. PL

99Bison
04-17-2007, 06:14 PM
and the reputation continues.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=162966

"A new state morgue in Bismarck was completed only two years ago. It averages just over 220 autopsies annually, and it can handle double that number, Bellew said.

The proposed morgue at the medical school had no public hearing, and no information was presented about its total construction cost or operating expenses, he said."

NorCalJack
04-17-2007, 06:43 PM
If the NCAA prevails in making UND change their name, does Sioux Falls and Sioux City have to change their name also? *

What would the NCAA do if your name was Sioux City Sue and you were white. Would they ban you from playing????

I also read an article yesterday that said said the NCAA wouldnt allow tournaments in So. Carolina because of the Confederate flag. Geeez. PL

I hear that Sioux Falls is going to put in a bid to hold the Mid-Con basketball tourney. Do you think the NCAA would step in and demand that if Sioux Falls wanted to hold the tourney that they would have to change the name of the town, because the word Sioux is offensive to the local indian tribes? Maybe we should change the name of the Big Sioux River also while we are at it.

To me the whole Sioux name change request by the NCAA is hogwash. I'm not a Sioux fan, but I think if the NCAA demands they change their name then you have to go all the way and change anything named Sioux, including names of towns, rivers, business names and everything.

99Bison
04-17-2007, 07:30 PM
If "fighting" wasn't part of the name it would help.

PC is everywhere and is not going away so we have to adapt.

tony
04-17-2007, 08:22 PM
1. The NCAA isn't forcing UND to change their mascot. They can't host postseason events unless they cover up the Sioux imagery.

2. The word "Sioux" and the word "fighting" have nothing really to do with things. Sioux Falls is the name of a city. "Fighting Sioux" is a mascot. There is no small distinction.

You know, when UND surveyed their own Indian students they found out that a pretty good majority of them wanted UND to drop the nickname if that's what the tribal council wanted. The tragedy of this is that it really sounds like if folks sat down with these kids and talked to them instead of throwing tantrums, they'd probably find out that the arguments used to support the use of the nickname are actually more insulting than the actual mascot itself -and- that the disrespect to the wishes of the tribal councils is doubly insulting.

If UND had met with the tribal councils with a modicum of respect, this issue would probably have been resolved long ago. Heck, they could have involved NDSU in the talks as NDSU fans were part of the problem. I think the Sioux folks are pretty reasonable and if UND would agree to submit to the will of the tribal councils, I bet they would come to an agreement pretty quickly.

BisonMav
04-17-2007, 08:23 PM

I hear that Sioux Falls is going to put in a bid to hold the Mid-Con basketball tourney. *Do you think the NCAA would step in and demand that if Sioux Falls wanted to hold the tourney that they would have to change the name of the town, because the word Sioux is offensive to the local indian tribes? *Maybe we should change the name of the Big Sioux River also while we are at it.

To me the whole Sioux name change request by the NCAA is hogwash. *I'm not a Sioux fan, but I think if the NCAA demands they change their name then you have to go all the way and change anything named Sioux, including names of towns, rivers, business names and everything.

The logo and mascot may have more to do with it than the name.

Green-N-Gold
04-17-2007, 08:37 PM

I hear that Sioux Falls is going to put in a bid to hold the Mid-Con basketball tourney. *Do you think the NCAA would step in and demand that if Sioux Falls wanted to hold the tourney that they would have to change the name of the town, because the word Sioux is offensive to the local indian tribes? *Maybe we should change the name of the Big Sioux River also while we are at it.

To me the whole Sioux name change request by the NCAA is hogwash. *I'm not a Sioux fan, but I think if the NCAA demands they change their name then you have to go all the way and change anything named Sioux, including names of towns, rivers, business names and everything.

The NCAA is a volunteer organization. If you don't play by their rules they don't have to take you.

TheBisonator
04-17-2007, 09:05 PM
I still say what's going to happen is that a settlement will be reached with the NCAA, where UND will drop the "Fighting" from their name, and just be called the "Sioux". The NCAA will then agree to no longer go after UND, and take them off their "list" of hostile and abusive school names. In turn, UND will be allowed to keep all their current logos, including the one they stole from Notre Dame.:D

Herd_Mentality
04-17-2007, 09:50 PM
Why remove all the logos from the Ralph. I'd just fill it with sugarbeets or soybeans and cover them up. Much cheaper, plus just think of all the revenue from storage fees!

Green-N-Gold
04-17-2007, 09:56 PM
What is the going rate these days, .03/month?

IowaBisonToo
04-17-2007, 10:12 PM
If the NCAA prevails in making UND change their name, does Sioux Falls and Sioux City have to change their name also?
Yeah, to Firetruck City and Firetruck Falls. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

IowaBisonToo
04-17-2007, 10:17 PM
and the reputation continues.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=162966

"A new state morgue in Bismarck was completed only two years ago. It averages just over 220 autopsies annually, and it can handle double that number, Bellew said.

The proposed morgue at the medical school had no public hearing, and no information was presented about its total construction cost or operating expenses, he said."

Hopefully it will become a . . . dead issue. ::) ::) ::) And they bitch about NDSU saving money by buying the buildings downtown. Hello, kettle. Hello, kettle. Pot here.