PDA

View Full Version : Wrestling Conference Almost Done

Bison_Kent
07-27-2005, 03:30 PM
It sounds like NDSU wrestling will be joining a conference next year ('06-'07) with eight other schools including:
-SDSU
-N. Colorado
-N. Iowa
-E. Illinois
-Fresnso State
-Wyoming
-Air Force
-Utah Valley State

Here is Kolpack's article today:

http://in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=98765&section=Sports

IowaBison
07-27-2005, 03:34 PM
From the article:

The proposed new league has already been approached by the five wrestling schools in the Big 12 Conference about a possible merger.

It's my dream come true, NDSU in the Big 12.

gwendel
07-27-2005, 03:52 PM
And it seems like if the Big 12 merger works out, it should gain NDSU and SDSU some much-needed respectability in gaining the attention of conference affiliation for the other sports. Remember, Gene Taylor keeps talking about needing patience and everything will work out.

mikelsch
07-27-2005, 04:02 PM
Big 12 schools that have wrestling

Iowa State
Missouri
Nebraska
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State

IowaBison
07-27-2005, 04:16 PM
For folks who don't follow wrestling

Oklahoma State and Iowa State have two of the best programs in the nation and are regularly ranked in the top five. The Cowboys were national champions last year.

Oklahoma is usually in the top 10. Nebraska and Missouri in the top 25. Nebraska ended last season #4.

uncbear
07-27-2005, 11:38 PM
As the UNC coach said about those Big XII schools: "The bad thing is you're wrestling five of the best schools in the country. The good thing is you're wrestling five of the best schools in the country."

Does anyone know how long utah valley state's reclassification period is?

sambini
07-28-2005, 02:22 AM
Bucky is excited about the new wrestling league. It will be great to wrestle with the big boys. Bucky will get them ready.

TheBisonator
07-28-2005, 03:50 AM
And it seems like if the Big 12 merger works out, it should gain NDSU and SDSU some much-needed respectability in gaining the attention of conference affiliation for the other sports. Remember, Gene Taylor keeps talking about needing patience and everything will work out.

I agree. If we still don't have a conference by 2007, and let's say that the wrestling conference is actually named the Big XII (due to the Big XII teams in there), then that would be a MAJOR plus to prospective conferences to add NDSU and SDSU, and even also Utah Valley State. Maybe Doug Fullerton of the Big Sky, or the commish for the MidCon would say, "Hey, NDSU and SDSU now wrestle in the Big XII. Maybe we should give them another shot for our conference in all other sports."

JBB
07-28-2005, 12:26 PM
Several years ago, during the study phase, I spoke with Buck at the airport. I knew it was him because he had several wrestlers along on their way to a meet. He was against Decision I at that time. It seems things are working out better than he thought. This is exciting news for NDSU and solves one more conference problem.

Paulie
07-28-2005, 03:05 PM
Being able to wrestle under the Big XII banner would be a major coup! ;)

SiouxFallsJack
07-28-2005, 04:11 PM
This should bring us one step closer to finding a home for all of our sports for both of us. :)

WYOBISONMAN
07-28-2005, 05:56 PM
I like NDSU being in a conference with Wyoming!!

Rodentia
07-28-2005, 07:20 PM
You couldn't name the new wrestling conference the Big XII - the existing Big XII conference wouldn't allow that. However, it is possible that the Big XII conference could add wrestling, and allow some schools to be affiliate members in wrestling.

IowaBison
07-28-2005, 07:32 PM
You couldn't name the new wrestling conference the Big XII - the existing Big XII conference wouldn't allow that. *However, it is possible that the Big XII conference could add wrestling, and allow some schools to be affiliate members in wrestling.

The heck they couldn't.

Portland State and Boise State wrestle in the PAC-10 (as do a few other Cal State programs).

Paulie
07-28-2005, 10:53 PM
You couldn't name the new wrestling conference the Big XII - the existing Big XII conference wouldn't allow that. *However, it is possible that the Big XII conference could add wrestling, and allow some schools to be affiliate members in wrestling.

That's what I'm saying. We would all be associate or affiliate members of the Big XII for wrestling... Doesn't the Big XII already sponsor wrestling for those 5 schools?

And the Pac 10 has some odd schools in for wrestling. I think even Cal State Bakersfield wrestles in the Pac 10.

Bisonguy
07-28-2005, 11:23 PM
I think the Big XII schools should be affiliate members of the Great West Wrestling Conference.

BisonMav
07-29-2005, 03:05 AM
I think the Big XII schools should be affiliate members of the Great West Wrestling Conference.

By jove, I think you are on to something Bisonguy! :)

TheBisonator
07-29-2005, 03:45 AM
I'd rather be in a wrestling conference called the Big XII than the Great West Wrestling Conference.

But that's just me.

SiouxFallsJack
07-29-2005, 04:49 AM
As much as I'd like it to be called the Great West Wrestling Conference, its kind of a tongue twister. Try saying Great West Wrestling Conference 5 times real fast. I would have to go with the Big 12 unless someone comes up with something bettr.

Paulie
07-29-2005, 03:10 PM
The Big XII schools won't wrestle in anything other than something named Big XII. Schools like Nebraska, Oklahoma, etc. have an attitude about them that they can't be reduced to participating in some unknown conference. This works to our advantage, we can leverage their conference name for greater cache.

BisonMav
07-29-2005, 03:15 PM
The Big XII schools won't wrestle in anything other than something named Big XII. *Schools like Nebraska, Oklahoma, etc. have an attitude about them that they can't be reduced to participating in some unknown conference. *This works to our advantage, we can leverage their conference name for greater cache. *

The hockey boys in the Big Ten play in several different conference's not named Big Ten.

WYOBISONMAN
08-01-2005, 03:38 PM
OK.....I have been camping for this past weekend.....flyfishing......and working on getting my mouth to actually say "Great West Wrestling Conference". My conclusion.....it is damn tough to say when you are sober.....and impossible to say when you are drunk.....we can't call it that. ;)

Rodentia
08-03-2005, 11:07 PM
The heck they couldn't. *

Portland State and Boise State wrestle in the PAC-10 (as do a few other Cal State programs).

That's what I'm saying. Portland State and Boise State are affiliate members of the Pac-10 in wrestling. They don't have their own wrestling conference called the Pac-10. It's not at all uncommon for conferences to invite schools to be affiliate members if they need more members for a particular sport.

Rodentia
08-03-2005, 11:09 PM
OK.....I have been camping for this past weekend.....flyfishing......and working on getting my mouth to actually say "Great West Wrestling Conference". *My conclusion.....it is damn tough to say when you are sober.....and impossible to say when you are drunk.....we can't call it that. ;)

The Gweat West Westwwing Confewence?