PDA

View Full Version : Mankato State Poaching  NDSU Wrestlers.....

WYOBISONMAN
09-28-2005, 02:09 PM
Man....this is low..... :-/

Maughan accuses school of poaching

By Jeff Kolpack
The Forum - 09/28/2005

North Dakota State head wrestling coach Bucky Maughan on Tuesday accused Minnesota State Mankato of luring athletes from his team.

Four Bison starters have transferred to Mankato in the last two years and another is on the way. Mathias Bitz wrestled for the Mavericks last season and Andy Pickar, Zach Stevens and Tim Kraemer enrolled this semester. Maughan said Dustin Benz intends to transfer to Mankato next semester.

“I’m very upset with Mankato, they’re poaching on us,” Maughan said.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=104158&section=Sports

tony
09-28-2005, 02:48 PM
Well, Bucky is always good for a quote.

However, for all we know, the wrestlers who decided to go were roommates or something. When one decided to go, the others did too. The only thing that indicates otherwise is that Mankato's coach said that he didn't "aggressively" recruit them. What the heck? Does the NCAA allow him to recruit NDSU's athletes as long as he isn't aggressive about it? :)

Anyway, I'm sure that Bucky is mad a heck - however, that doesn't mean Mankato's coach violated NCAA rules. I'm pretty sure that the only people who would get hurt if he did would be NDSU's former wrestlers and they haven't had a chance to state their side of the story.

Obviously this creates a great, but extremely challenging, opportunity for the young Bison wrestlers.

Bison_Dan
09-28-2005, 03:45 PM
Well, Bucky is always good for a quote.

However, for all we know, the wrestlers who decided to go were roommates or something. When one decided to go, the others did too. The only thing that indicates otherwise is that Mankato's coach said that he didn't "aggressively" recruit them. What the heck? Does the NCAA allow him to recruit NDSU's athletes as long as he isn't aggressive about it? :)

Anyway, I'm sure that Bucky is mad a heck - however, that doesn't mean Mankato's coach violated NCAA rules. *I'm pretty sure that the only people who would get hurt if he did would be NDSU's former wrestlers and they haven't had a chance to state their side of the story.

Obviously this creates a great, but extremely challenging, opportunity for the young Bison wrestlers.

I think that most of the young ones would be starting anyway. Let them go - it's obvious that they aren't up to the DI challenge.

minnesota
09-28-2005, 08:04 PM
how can you say that the wrestlers that went to msu are not ready for the step up to div.1 they had the best records on the team last year.....know your facts before you post....four of the five are seniors and maybe they want something to wrestle for....by time the eligibility for div. 1 is granted they will have lost their eligibilty.

Bison_Dan
09-28-2005, 08:18 PM
how can you say that the wrestlers that went to msu are not ready for the step up to div.1 *they had the best records on the team last year.....know your facts before you post....four of the five are seniors and maybe they want something to wrestle for....by time the eligibility for div. 1 is granted they will have lost their eligibilty.

So what! Everyone knows that Bucky was redshirting everyone he could last year. Something to wrestle for? Well, hell why don't they just go to a diii or NAIA school to make sure that they get into the national tour. If wrestling against some of the best schools (wrestlers) in the country isn't enough then by all means move on.

tony
09-28-2005, 08:27 PM
Man, we weren't in these guys' position, so I don't think we can really appreciate their situation. These guys want to wrestle for a national championship - they signed up at NDSU for that very reason. As far as I know, they never asked NDSU to go DI.

NDSU appealed to the NCAA to make them eligible for the NCAA championships right away and got rejected so these guys ended up giving up one shot at a trophy and most of them only have one shot left.

Best thing we can do is wish the guys luck, hope Bucky's head doesn't explode, and do what we can to help NDSU's wrestling program make it past this.

MinotBison
09-28-2005, 10:23 PM
With that many guys leaving, you would think the odds are they would be transferring to different schools. Why are they all going to Mankato? ???

somebison
09-28-2005, 10:39 PM
With that many guys leaving, you would think the odds are they would be transferring to different schools. *Why are they all going to Mankato? ???

Probably to be with other friend's going to Mankato and knowing they will have a really good team. If an NDSU senior wrestler (without the ability to redshirt), wanted to transfer this year, I really have no problem with it.

MinotBison
09-28-2005, 11:46 PM
What sort of scholarship money would they be getting? I would find it rather surprising if they were getting the same amount as they got at NDSU.

roadwarrior
09-29-2005, 12:22 AM
The NCC limit is 5 wrestling scholarships.

sambini
09-29-2005, 03:32 AM
Good luck fellas and enjoy METTLERS.Thats why they transfered to have workstudy jobs at METTLERS. But it sure is funny that 5 of them transfer to the same school.. Sounds fishy...

MinotBison
09-29-2005, 04:53 AM
Good luck fellas and enjoy METTLERS.Thats why they transfered to have workstudy jobs at METTLERS. But it sure is funny that 5 of them transfer to the same school.. Sounds fishy...

Sounds fishy?

markerman
09-29-2005, 02:57 PM
Wow, this story is on the front sports page on USA Today. I definitely wasn't expecting to see that. Two ND schools are dominating the national sports headlines...

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/other/2005-09-28-wrestling-accusations_x.htm

Paulie
09-29-2005, 03:11 PM
That's some bad publicity for Mankato State (I refuse to recognize the name change by the way).

sambini
09-30-2005, 02:53 AM
++

sambini
09-30-2005, 03:18 AM
Minotbison I should have said smells fishy? Or they are doing things the right way. But it doesn't sound right.. How is the Minot recruit gonna be?

MinotBison
09-30-2005, 04:56 AM
Minotbison I should have said smells fishy? Or they are doing things the right way. But it doesn't sound right.. How is the Minot recruit gonna be?

I think young Mr. Haugen will be fine, as long as he has learned something from his encounter with law enforcement, and as long as he understands that he will have a rather steep learning curve at the college level.

JBB
10-01-2005, 02:19 PM
Didnt all athletes and coaches get a yrs grace with the Decision I announcement? Why didnt they move then? I think they experienced competition at the DI level and lost confidence.

Whatever_
10-01-2005, 10:04 PM
I guess I can't really blame the guys that transferred, you only get the chance to be a national champ once in your life. I'm sure most of these guys would prefer to compete at NDSU but they won't have that opportunity.

One positive of this is you get rid of D2 athletes and allow your D1 recruits to get experience right off the bat.
Hopefully the guys that are coming to Fargo realize that It may be a tough year but should get better quickly.

JBB
10-01-2005, 10:43 PM
I hear that, but in some ways you think they would have talked to The Coach about it? ???

sambini
10-02-2005, 05:25 AM
++

tony
10-17-2005, 12:53 PM
I think young Mr. Haugen will be fine, as long as he has learned something from his encounter with law enforcement, and as long as he understands that he will have a rather steep learning curve at the college level.

This is off topic, but I don't think Haugen is on the team - heck, I don't think he is enrolled at NDSU.

MinotBison
10-17-2005, 11:52 PM
This is off topic, but I don't think Haugen is on the team - heck, I don't think he is enrolled at NDSU.

That's interesting. I've not heard anything up here about him not being enrolled. Any word on where he may have gone, or why he did not enroll?

roadwarrior
10-17-2005, 11:56 PM
He is not on the wrestling roster.

tony
10-18-2005, 01:35 AM
I sure don't have any inside info - just saw that he wasn't on the roster. I did a little checking and do think he is enrolled - turns out "Levi" is his middle name.

It may just be a case of the roster not being updated yet for this year.

BISON_PRIDE
10-18-2005, 08:55 AM
It appears he went to an NAIA school, McKendree College in Illinois, with an up an coming program. *I couldn't blame the guy for wanting to go somewhere that nobody knows him and start over.

Some talk about him on the message board here.
http://www.dakotagrappler.com/dakotagrappler.htm