PDA

View Full Version : Fresno State drops wrestling

roadwarrior
06-17-2006, 01:47 AM
One of our new conference members drops wrestling due to Title IX implications.

cabis
06-17-2006, 02:33 AM
Here is a link to Fresno State fact sheet on why they dropped wrestling.
http://gobulldogs.cstv.com/genrel/061506aah.html
The headlines of the release:
1. In the interest of achieving annual financial stability of the athletics program
2. Wrestling is not a sponsored sport within the Western Athletic Conference
3. The absence of a dedicated wrestling practice facility and locker room
4. The absence of a cost-effective venue for competition
5. The recent history of academic achievement within the wrestling program
6. Wrestling is not a broad-based NCAA championship sport
7. Wrestling carries a significant roster and scholarship level. It also does not have a like women's program
8. Reinstatement of men's cross country
The main issue seems to be cost, related to points 1,2,3,4,6 and 8. The second issue is related to a potential loss in overall scholies for football due to the poor academic performance of the wrestling team and potential title IX issues.
Of particular concern to NDSU should be the comments about the new wrestilg conference:
Fresno State's wrestling program, following its departure from the PAC 10, it has been competing as an independent. The team was scheduled to join the newly formed Western Wrestling Conference (WWC) in the fall of 2006. It is a conference where the membership is spread out over seven states and three time zones. This dynamic would likely to have significantly increased wrestling travel costs.

This travel cost issue is getting pretty repetitive.

roadwarrior
06-17-2006, 02:59 AM
Well, Fresno was the one school that was way off the map from the others.

United States Air Force Academy, the University of Northern Colorado, the University of Northern Iowa, South Dakota State University, Utah Valley State College and the University of Wyoming, along with NDSU are the remaining members. Four in the mountain time zone and three in the central.

MinotBison
06-17-2006, 03:53 AM

United States Air Force Academy, the University of Northern Colorado, the University of Northern Iowa, South Dakota State University, Utah Valley State College and the University of Wyoming, along with NDSU are the remaining members. *Four in the mountain time zone and three in the central.

Is there anyone the conference will seek to replace Fresno?

cabis
06-17-2006, 03:56 AM

United States Air Force Academy, the University of Northern Colorado, the University of Northern Iowa, South Dakota State University, Utah Valley State College and the University of Wyoming, along with NDSU are the remaining members. *Four in the mountain time zone and three in the central.

Throw in SUU just for balance and this would make an awfully fine looking D-1A all sport conference!
:)

sambini
06-17-2006, 04:13 AM
Does Bakersfield still have wrestling?

kchats
06-17-2006, 04:43 AM
That is part of the reason Bucky spends so much time and effort on the USA wrestling tournament in Fargo. Wrestling raises alot of their own money so they don't get cut. I hope that Bison wrestling continues to hold the tournament and to raise their own money. I wouldn't like seeing wrestling cut at NDSU. It is a very strong program.

sambini
06-17-2006, 11:33 PM
THATS WHY HE HAS AN ENDOWMENT WHICH IS VERY STRONG+++++++++++

mikelsch
06-19-2006, 02:16 AM
NDSU joins GWFC - St. Mary's drops football
NDSU joins WWC - Fresno State drops wrestling
NDSU joins Mid-Con - Centenary drops out, and joins DII or DIII (wouldn't this be nice)

sambini
06-19-2006, 02:17 AM
COULD BE SIGNS OF THE TIMES GREENIE++++++++++++

IowaBison
06-19-2006, 04:30 PM
Another sad day for collegiate wrestling.

Title IX is absolute bullshit.

BisonMav
06-19-2006, 09:13 PM

I wouldn't be opposed to Women's wrestling.

sambini
06-19-2006, 10:33 PM
++++++++++++++++++++++++

IowaBisonToo
06-20-2006, 03:11 PM

Would it involve oil, jello or mud? ;D :o ;D :o

BisonMav
06-20-2006, 03:56 PM

Would it involve oil, jello or mud? ;D :o ;D :o

Depends on if it would be an indoor or outdoor sport 8-) ;D

oclookinin
06-20-2006, 05:37 PM

How can you blame title IX? Do you think we should just have men's sports and no women's sports? Without title IX, women's teams would get treated like crap. It has to do with money no where in the release does it say trying to comply with title IX. ::)

BisonMav
06-20-2006, 05:54 PM
It comes down to having a Women's sport that uses the same number of scholarships as Football, or not having football to offset everything else.

IowaBison
06-20-2006, 06:44 PM

How can you blame title IX? Do you think we should just have men's sports and no women's sports? Without title IX, women's teams would get treated like crap. It has to do with money no where in the release does it say trying to comply with title IX. ::)

Did you just come out from under a rock?

oclookinin
06-21-2006, 06:12 PM
No I didn't just roll out from a rock. I guess I just hate to see title IX unfairly blamed. There is alot of great info about it and myths about title IX at titleixinfo.com here is a direct link to address the shallow thinking of some of you. EDUCATE YOURSELF!!!
;Dhttp://www.titleix.info/content.jsp?content_KEY=179

BraxtonT
06-22-2006, 05:06 AM
No I didn't just roll out from a rock. *I guess I just hate to see title IX unfairly blamed. *There is alot of great info about it and myths about title IX at * titleixinfo.com * here is a direct link to address the shallow thinking of some of you. *EDUCATE YOURSELF!!! *
;Dhttp://www.titleix.info/content.jsp?content_KEY=179

I've educated myself and I still believe Title IX is the reason for the cutting of men's sports. You can believe what you want, guys like NDBison and myself will need more convincing that it does not play a major role in these situations.

IowaBison
06-22-2006, 01:18 PM
I'm convinced completely.

And I'm not some ignorant, sexist brute.

I don't want to go into a political/social rant but my complaint against Title IX in college athletics (which has a noble intent and has done a great feal of good) is the same as I have against most failed social programs:

it ignores both economics and reality.