PDA

View Full Version : Wrestling USA Ranking for WWC members

coachsparky
10-15-2006, 01:35 PM
Based on the preseason Wrestling USA DI rankings Northern Iowa should dominate the conference and regional. Wyoming and North Dakota State are the only two other programs with ranked wrestlers with two apiece. Hopefully the conference wrestlers show we are stronger than this during the season.

22. Kyle Anson, Northern Iowa
23. Eric Hoffman, North Dakota State

26. Brett Robbins, Northern Iowa

9. CJ Ettelson, Northern Iowa

19. Carter Downing, Wyoming
30. Charlie Ettelson, Northern Iowa

7. Nick Baima, Northern Iowa

22. Alex Dolly, Northern Iowa
30. Brian Bernai, Wyoming

28. Andrew Anderson, Northern Iowa

14. Tyler Rhodes, Northern Iowa
21. Mike Maresh, North Dakota State

sambini
10-16-2006, 02:44 AM
Thanks Coach Sparky++++++++

mn-bison
10-16-2006, 01:07 PM
Is Maresh planning on wrestling again this year? I havn't heard either way...

mikelsch
10-16-2006, 07:29 PM
Is the WWC going to develop a website?

MinotBison
10-16-2006, 08:16 PM
Is Maresh planning on wrestling again this year? *I havn't heard either way...

I think Bucky signed a heavyweight recruit, didn't he?

sambini
10-17-2006, 04:01 AM
Out of Canby,MN.

coachsparky
10-17-2006, 09:47 PM
Out of Canby,MN.

I would hope Maresh would wrestle though and give the kid a year to adjust to college. Unless of course he is already so good he can beat Maresh. What are the kids credentials.

coachsparky
10-22-2006, 06:54 PM
And these are the new WrestlingReport.com rankings as of today. Not much different but a few important differences.

Individuals
125: (No True Freshman)
26) Eric Hoffman-North Dakota State-Jr
27) Kyle Anson-Northern Iowa-Fr

133: (No True Freshman)

141: (No True Freshman)
10) C.J. Ettelson-Northern Iowa-Jr

149: (No True Freshman)
20) Carter Downing-Wyoming-Jr

157: (No True Freshman)
23) Moza Fay-Northern Iowa-So

165: (No True Freshman)
6) Nick Baima-Northern Iowa-Sr

174: (No True Freshman)

184: (No True Freshman)
23) Matt Wetterling-North Dakota State-Jr

197: (No True Freshman)
22) Reece Hopkin-Northern Colorado-Jr
28) Jacob Bryce-North Dakota State-So

HWY: (No True Freshman)
20) Rhodes/Zimmerly-Northern Iowa-Sr/Fr

sambini
10-22-2006, 10:01 PM
I think Maresh will wrestle.

scottheck
10-23-2006, 03:25 AM
Is Maresh planning on wrestling again this year? *I havn't heard either way...

Walked along with Coach Maughn and his wife from the dome to the Marriott. They expect Maresh but not until Dec.
"He's not in wrestling shape." Not having ever wrestled, I can't imagine being in the kind of condition he must be for football and not being in good enough shape.

I'm sure the wrestlers out there will offer details.

sambini
10-24-2006, 03:37 AM
Coach Sparky can you fill us in on this subject?

coachsparky
10-24-2006, 11:11 AM

If you are talking about a football players not being in condition to wrestle right away after football, I can give you my take on it. *In football, most of the athletes go for very short, 5 to 10 second bursts of power and speed and then get a 30 to 45 second opportunity to recover. *Wrestling is totally different, you need the power and quickness but you have to be able to sustain your effort for at least two or three minutes without a break many times and when you do get breaks they are usually no longer than 5 to 10 seconds as you return to center and take your position. *Also in football you basically using your hip and upper leg strength and for some linemen, your pushing muscles in your arms. *In wrestling you are using your entire body, pushing and pulling muscles. * Believe me, every year I have at least one football player come into the room and loose his lunch because he isn't ready to handle the effort of the intense wrestling practices right out of the blocks.

sambini
10-24-2006, 11:01 PM
Thanks Sparky+++++++++

scottheck
10-24-2006, 11:39 PM

If you are talking about a football playing not being in condition to wrestle right away after football, I can give you my take on it. *In foot ball, most of the athletes go for very short, 5 to 10 second bursts of power and speed and then get a 30 to 45 second opportunity to recover. *Wrestling is totally different, you need the power and quickness but you have to be able to sustain your effort for at least two or three minutes without a break many times and when you do get breaks they are usually no longer than 5 to 10 seconds as you return to center and take your position. *Also in foot ball your basically using your hip and upper leg strength and for some linemen, your pushing muscles in your arms. *In wrestling you are using your entire body, pushing and pulling muscles. * Believe me, every year I have at least one football player come into the room and loose his lunch because he isn't ready to hanle the effort of the intense wrestling practices right out of the blocks.

Makes sense, especially when you see, even in the middle of the season, a RB or WR really gets winded on a field long sprint, like Tayor for the Vikes this weekend. *He commented about losing gas the last 15 yards...

TheDoctor
10-25-2006, 05:16 AM
I think Maresh will wrestle.

I'll ask him in class tomorrow and let you guys know. ;)

sambini
10-26-2006, 01:05 AM
Thanks+++++++++

GFBison
10-26-2006, 04:41 AM

If you are talking about a football players not being in condition to wrestle right away after football, I can give you my take on it. *In football, most of the athletes go for very short, 5 to 10 second bursts of power and speed and then get a 30 to 45 second opportunity to recover *.

Former Bison Wrestler and Football player Bob Backlund aggrees. *
"I was in better shape at the beginning of the season in football than I was at the end," Backlund said. "When I went there, I was in tip-top shape. But you don't stay in shape playing football. You stay in shape for hitting people, and with the helmet, and with the pads. But a play lasts for maybe five seconds, and a game lasts for like two, two-and-a-half hours. It's only about 14 minutes of play. With wrestling, when you get done with wrestling in nine minutes, you're exhausted. I'd be in great condition when football started. To wrestle after I got done with football, I had to kind of get back in shape again. I was in shape to play football, but I wasn't in shape to wrestle, or I wouldn't have been in shape to run track, or play something that's really demanding physically, as far as far as your heart's concerned."

http://www.ncaasports.com/wrestling/mens/story/8306886

I think someone may of posted this link before, I had it bookmarked.

Edit:
(Just found the previous post, Tony had posted it, thanks Tony)

STC_TFA
10-27-2006, 05:51 AM
Whats Bob up to ?