PDA

View Full Version : Conference Finalized

Paulie
04-26-2006, 02:45 PM
Was this in the Fargo Forum? Anyway it was in the Greeley Tribune, a great list of schools. Nice to be associated with schools in the MWC, MVC, and WAC.

http://www.greeleytrib.com/article/20060426/SPORTS/104260101

mikelsch
04-26-2006, 03:23 PM
Western Wrestling Conference
- 8 schools: NDSU, SDSU, Northern Colorado, Northern Iowa, Wyoming, Air Force, Fresno State, Utah Valley State
- Eastern Illinois, which also looked at joining the conference, opted not to become a member
- Colonel William Walker of Air Force will serve as the Conference Commissioner
- "With league members spread out over seven states and three time zones, schools will only be required to compete against five league schools in dual action to be eligible for the regular season conference championship. Schools will be encouraged to schedule as many conference schools as possible"
- "The 2007 NCAA West Regional will still serve as the NCAA qualifying tournament and will be hosted by the University of Northern Iowa. The goal of the league is to replace the West Regional with the conference tournament, which would then serve as the NCAA qualifier. The WWC will submit its application for formal recognition to the NCAA."
- Utah Valley State will be eligible for the post-season in 2009-10

IowaBison
04-26-2006, 03:36 PM
Awesome.

rabidrabbit
04-26-2006, 04:11 PM
:) Great News!!! And addresses a sport of interest for both Bunnies and Bison that neither Mid-Con or Big Sky support.

Note that 1/2 of conference is ex-NCC'ers :)

mn-bison
04-26-2006, 05:22 PM
Bison went 4-1-1 against the new conference. *(The last one was for the SDSU cancelled match, so it could as well be 5-1). *(Beat Air Force 27-9, Beat Wyoming 18-15, Beat Northern Colorado 32-5, Beat Utah Valley State 19-16, Lost to Northern Iowa 26-15)

Looks good for next year considering how young the Bison where this year...

tcbison
04-26-2006, 05:40 PM
Bison went 4-1-1 against the new conference. *(The last one was for the SDSU cancelled match, so it could as well be 5-1). *(Beat Air Force 27-9, Beat Wyoming 18-15, Beat Northern Colorado 32-5, Beat Utah Valley State 19-16, Lost to Northern Iowa 26-15)

Looks good for next year considering how young the Bison where this year...

Thanks for the info. NDSU could compete for the conference title next year. Awesome!

It is good to have Northern Colorado in this conference. Let's hope it helps find a conference for other sports.

RodentiaX
04-26-2006, 10:14 PM
"Western Wrestling"... that's a tongue twister... try it. :)

bisonwin
04-27-2006, 03:27 AM
That is great news about the new conference! Hopefully SDSU doesn't wimp out like they did this year, would be nice to kick their A$$. Bison will have a very solid team it looks like next year but probably not enough to knock off Northern Iowa. I can see them getting at least second and possibly sending 4 to 5 guys to nationals. I heard Bucky and his assistants have been very busy bringing in recruits to already add to this young squad. Will be nice to see who they have signed in the late signing period.

MinotBison
04-27-2006, 03:51 AM
Who are some of the potential recruits this year?

Gamehunter
04-27-2006, 03:59 AM
So the Bison will be eligible for post season play this upcomming season correct? Will the Western Wrestling Conference have an autobid by that time or how does this work with wrestling? (I have no clue)

bisonwin
04-27-2006, 04:44 AM
From what I have heard the conference will take right around 25 wrestlers to nationals. The champions are automatically sent and then the rest are wild cards. I am sure most of the runnerups in each weight class will go to. There are 10 college weights, so if you figure the champs and 2nd place guys go there is only room for five more wrestlers. That makes it pretty dang tough to qualify for the national tournament. Would be great if the Bison could send some these young wrestlers to the national tournament in their first year. Sanders, Wetterling, Bryce and Maresh could have all possibly made it this past year.

mn-bison
04-27-2006, 12:06 PM
Is Maresh going to continue to do double duty? (Wrestle & Football)

Bison_Dan
04-27-2006, 12:52 PM
Is Maresh going to continue to do double duty? (Wrestle & Football)

If he does we'll need to call him the IRON MAN.

IowaBisonToo
04-28-2006, 01:37 PM
I am by no means a wrestling guru so, if anyone can help me out, I'd appreciate it. Just a curious question is all. I was reading the Forum's article this morning and the name of the UNC coach is Jack Maughan. Is this by chance any relation to Bucky? My guess is yes but will somebody confirm that? Thanks.

Paulie
04-28-2006, 02:17 PM
I am by no means a wrestling guru so, if anyone can help me out, I'd appreciate it. *Just a curious question is all. *I was reading the Forum's article this morning and the name of the UNC coach is Jack Maughan. *Is this by chance any relation to Bucky? *My guess is yes but will somebody confirm that? *Thanks.

Yes, he is his son. *He also wrestled and was an asst. at NDSU in the late 80's. *

IowaBisonToo
04-28-2006, 03:33 PM
I am by no means a wrestling guru so, if anyone can help me out, I'd appreciate it. *Just a curious question is all. *I was reading the Forum's article this morning and the name of the UNC coach is Jack Maughan. *Is this by chance any relation to Bucky? *My guess is yes but will somebody confirm that? *Thanks.

Yes, he is his son. *He also wrestled and was an asst. at NDSU in the late 80's. *

Thanks, Paulie. :)

89rabbit
04-28-2006, 10:13 PM
Just to set the record straight, the Bison choose not to "brave the elements" and make the trip to Brookings when the match was scheduled, so if anyone whimmped out it wasn't us. :-?

Go Jackrabbits! :)

sambini
04-29-2006, 01:44 AM
bRING IT ON bUNNYS

Bison_Engineer
12-05-2006, 03:22 AM
By the way whatever happened to the und d2 wrestling program, think they will bring it back.

KB

sambini
12-05-2006, 03:27 AM
ITS LONG GONE.

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-07-2006, 08:44 PM
I guess I didn't realize that UND didn't sponsor wrestling. When did they stop sponsoring it?

roadwarrior
12-07-2006, 08:54 PM
Maybe 10-15 years ago they gave up trying to have a competitive team.

My favorite memory of und wrestling was when the NCC tournament was being held at the BSA at the end of the season and the Bison were fighting Omaha for the championship in very close scoring. There was a match between a wrestler from und going against a uno wrestler. Of course, in this situation, Bucky wanted the und guy to beat the uno guy to prevent them from scoring team points. The und coach was sitting in a chair silently in one of the corners watching the match, when Bucky pulls up a chair into another corner of the mat and starts shouting out to the und wrestler what to do to beat the guy. The und wrestler looks over at Bucky, takes his advice, and beats the guy! ;D

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-07-2006, 09:26 PM
That is a cool story. Kind of impressive that the guy would even listen to an opposing coach.

IowaBison
12-07-2006, 09:27 PM
i would, bucky is one smart leprechaun :P

sambini
12-08-2006, 01:40 AM
Theres only one BUCKY++++

Trimmy
12-08-2006, 09:21 PM
That's a great story!

DORMIE
12-08-2006, 09:41 PM
89rabbit.....You're full of shit!!! SDSU cancelled the meet, because you didn't want to get your ass kicked. We're going to wressle twice this year. The first match doesn't count for the conference. Brett made those comments yesterday at TEAMMAAKERS.

sambini
12-08-2006, 10:25 PM
Next Friday night Bunnys get it handed to them on the mat++++

bisonaudit
01-09-2007, 04:21 PM
UND dropped wrestling in 1997 plus or minus one year.