PDA

View Full Version : Maresh @HWT

bisonwin
01-22-2007, 10:51 PM
Heard a rumor that Mike is considering wrestling again. *Would be great to have him wrestling HWT. *Mike could probably All-American or atleast would qualify for nationals and give Hacker a year to get ready. *The way the Bison looked the other night they could have a really good region team if Mike decided to join. *Give it 1 more shot Mike!

roadwarrior
01-22-2007, 11:50 PM
With the season quickly coming to the end and if he has not been practicing, I would think it would be very difficult at this point to join the team.

2006gwfcchamps
01-23-2007, 12:20 AM
I thought he already said he didn't want to?

sambini
01-23-2007, 03:27 AM
hmmm.. He should be working out by now,,, for football.

kchats
01-23-2007, 03:43 AM
Yeah the story was in the Forum and now the Spectrum:

http://www.ndsuspectrum.com/sports/Spring07/1_23_07_sports_football.html

ndsubison
01-23-2007, 12:51 PM
I am a strong supporter of NDSU wrestling but I must admit that, for me, football comes first. Therefore, I must selfishly say that I want Maresh to be training for football season next year and not wrestling. He's obviously talented in both but if he were to focus solely on football, it scares me what he could do. Imagine the Tampa-2 defense with Joe Mays, Ramon Humber and a 100% fully committed, focused Mike Maresh :o :o :o

bisonwin
01-24-2007, 03:00 PM
Football does come first and the wrestling coaches know that and would more than likely be very leniant as far as practices go. Wrestling would also keep Mike in great shape and work on his quickness. He does not need to put on weight, a quick strong hwt is better than a slow fat hwt anyday.

DORMIE
01-25-2007, 06:23 PM
Bucky said today at Teammakers that Maresh attended last Fridays match against UVSU and end result is that Maresh might wrestle in February during the independent schedule and hopefully qualify for Nationals. Bucky said he'll wait until 4:00 today to see if this is going to happen.

Scooter
01-25-2007, 06:56 PM
I am a strong supporter of NDSU wrestling but I must admit that, for me, football comes first. *Therefore, I must selfishly say that I want Maresh to be training for football season next year and not wrestling. *He's obviously talented in both but if he were to focus solely on football, it scares me what he could do. *Imagine the Tampa-2 defense with Joe Mays, Ramon Humber and a 100% fully committed, focused Mike Maresh :o :o :o

I agree to a point.... *However, when you think back to your days in High School football, Is is just a coincidence that the best tacklers on the team were wrestlers? *Is it just a coincidence that Maresh is one of the best tacklers on the Bison football team? *Wrestling practice should be required for every player on defense. *If this were to happen, the number of jock straps left on the turf would dramatically decrease.
Also, if there is one person at NDSU that I would want my football players receiving additional guidance in mental toughness, it would be Bucky.

bisonwin
01-25-2007, 08:07 PM
Oklahoma State HWT and national champion played football for the cowboys this year. When he practices for wrestling the coaches have lineman work in on him so he gets used of wrestling bigger opponents. This also helps the football players with positioning and motion which can help in football.

sambini
01-25-2007, 10:16 PM
I thought Cole Conrad of Minnesota was the defending national champ? Before him was Steve Mocco of OSU.

2006gwfcchamps
01-26-2007, 03:11 AM
Mocco was on the roster, at least, according to this:http://www.okstate.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=200&KEY=&SPID=143&SPSID =1421

Wouldn't be the first wrestler to give football a shot (Patriots OL and Brock Lesnar, probably some others)

But Conrad was the NC at HWT last season. He beat Mocco 3 times, I believe.

TheDoctor
01-26-2007, 04:24 AM
Bucky said today at Teammakers that Maresh attended last Fridays match against UVSU and end result is that Maresh might wrestle in February during the independent schedule and hopefully qualify for Nationals. *Bucky said he'll wait until 4:00 today to see if this is going to happen.

Mike seemed very at peace with his decision when he talked to me about it last week, I hope noone is pressuring him to reconsider. He did not even seem hesitant about the decision. He seemed relieved that everyone was ok with what it was that he wanted to do and that was focus on football.

2006gwfcchamps
01-26-2007, 04:09 PM
I'm sure it's hard to walk away from a sport you've been doing so long.

sambini
01-27-2007, 01:05 AM
What did he decide? Good luck whatever he does+++