PDA

View Full Version : Bison at Minnesota Aug 27

cabis
06-07-2006, 02:43 AM
Was looking at GoBison.com and noticed the next Bison action is soccer with an exhibition game at Creighton on Aug 17. What really caught my eye was an away regular season game at Minnesota on Aug 27. I know there are a lot of Bison alums in the Twin Cities. What would it take to get 500 Bison fans to this game?
The soccer team has struggled to get support in Fargo so what about Minneapolis?
In the Division 1 era the soccer team has:
Along with football was the first team to play a full Div 1 schedule in 2004. They went 5-11-1 with ALL games on the road. They were 3-11-1 in away games and 2-0-0 in neutral site games.
Went 11-5-1 in 2005 going 7-0-0 at home, 0-5-1 away and 4-0-0 at neutral sites.
It would really help their chances if we could make this a "neutral site" game. All it would take is a herd of about 500 Bison!

roadwarrior
06-07-2006, 12:05 PM
Count me in! I had not noticed that we had scheduled the Gophers prior to your post.

cabis
06-07-2006, 01:08 PM
There are seven players on the team from the Twin cities area. Count on them for about 10 friends and family each for 70 and Road and I make 72. Only 428 to go to get to neutral site heaven!

OCBison
06-08-2006, 02:56 PM
In.

427 to go.

Great idea.

lakesbison
06-08-2006, 03:33 PM
ok.. if OC is going. Im going.. 426

sambini
06-10-2006, 12:15 PM
ROAD LEAD THEM TO VICTORY++++++++++++++++++++++++

RodentiaX
06-16-2006, 08:54 PM
Minnesota Home Attendance, 2005:

SDSU: 854
Purdue: 1751
Indiana: 738
Illinois: 843
Ohio State: 856
Penn State: 1611

I didn't have stats on the Iowa game. If Bison fans show up in decent numbers, there's a good chance of making it a sea of green. That early in the season, I don't know how many Gopher fans will show up.

Does anyone know the attendace numbers the last time the Bison played at Minnesota (2004)?

cabis
06-17-2006, 03:44 AM
Minnesota's average attendance figures were 667 in 2004 and 1081 in 2005. The Bison game in 2004 had attendance of 603. Even with their increasing attendance we could make quite an impact with a herd of 500!

sambini
06-17-2006, 04:12 AM
MAKE AN IMPACT ON THE GOPHERS+++++++++++++++++++

cabis
08-13-2006, 05:56 AM
2 weeks from today for a little Gopher hunting. Lets get the herd rounded up.

tcbison
08-18-2006, 03:07 PM
2 weeks from today for a little Gopher hunting. Lets get the herd rounded up.

I am looking to bring my fiance, sister, brother-in-law,niece, nephew and maybe more. Does anyone know what the cost is for a ticket? I went to games at NDSU back in the day and I don't believe there was a charge. Thanks.

mikelsch
08-18-2006, 03:54 PM
No charge for NDSU home games. Gophers charge $8 for adults and $5 for age 18 and younger.

mn-bison
08-18-2006, 07:40 PM
Was looking at GoBison.com and noticed the next Bison action is soccer with an exhibition game at Creighton on Aug 17.

The Lady Bison won the exhibition game 1-0 over Creighton. *Congratulations Ladies...

gwendel
08-18-2006, 11:16 PM
The Creighton win was a significant victory for the Bison.
First, because the Bison lost to Creighton 3-0 in 2005.
Second, Creighton was a NCAA Women's College Cup team last year (3rd time in 4 yrs.) losing to Nebraska 1-0.
Third, Creighton is predicted to win the Missouri Valley Conference again this year.
Fourth, Creighton returns their top 6 scorers from the 2005 squad. (Bet they were disappointed!)
Fifth, Creighton's strength is their defense, according to their website. (No shame in only scoring 1 goal.)

Yes, it was the first game for both schools and it's the pre-season, but as Coach Cuadrado said,
"This definitely is a step in the right direction." This win should give the ladies some confidence.

And here's a game to pay attention to:

Creighton plays its second exhibition game of the season against Minnesota on Saturday (Aug. 19) at 1:00 p.m. at Morrison Stadium. That's just 8 days before the Bison meet Minnesota. Should give us some idea if the Bison can compete. My bet is they can.

OCBison
08-19-2006, 02:28 AM
I don't want to rain on anyone's parade because it's nice to see the program developing but it was ONLY a pre-season scrimmage.

Mr._Bill
08-19-2006, 05:19 PM
I don't want to rain on anyone's parade because it's nice to see the program developing but it was ONLY a pre-season scrimmage.

While the game doesn't count for the 2006 record, I'm guessing the game was played on game field, with a standard goal, standard time clock, and 2 teams competing to win. *A little more than a practice scrimmage OC. *For the Bison and our young team, this is a very important win to build confidence against top teams. *Why would anyone try to sell this win short?

D_One_here_we_come
08-20-2006, 03:10 AM
The Creighton win was a significant victory for the Bison.
First, because the Bison lost to Creighton 3-0 in 2005.
Second, Creighton was a NCAA Women's College Cup team last year (3rd time in 4 yrs.) losing to Nebraska 1-0.
Third, Creighton is predicted to win the Missouri Valley Conference again this year.
Fourth, Creighton returns their top 6 scorers from the 2005 squad. (Bet they were disappointed!)
Fifth, Creighton's strength is their defense, according to their website. (No shame in only scoring 1 goal.)

Yes, it was the first game for both schools and it's the pre-season, but as Coach Cuadrado said,
"This definitely is a step in the right direction." This win should give the ladies some confidence.

And here's a game to pay attention to:

Creighton plays its second exhibition game of the season against Minnesota on Saturday (Aug. 19) at 1:00 p.m. at Morrison Stadium. That's just 8 days before the Bison meet Minnesota. Should give us some idea if the Bison can compete. My bet is they can.

Just read on Creightons website that Creighton beat Minnesota 2-1, sounds like the Mighty Bison have a shot!!! ;D!!!

sambini
08-21-2006, 01:49 AM
Keep it up ladies and good luck++++++++++++++++++

sway1331
08-21-2006, 06:52 PM
I'm going to do my best to make it to this Sunday's match.

sway1331
08-22-2006, 07:10 PM
I just realized the facility is only a half mile from the fairgrounds and with the State Fair starting on Thursday traffic will likely hectic getting to the match on Sunday.

tcbison
08-23-2006, 08:06 PM
I just realized the facility is only a half mile from the fairgrounds and with the State Fair starting on Thursday traffic will likely hectic getting to the match on Sunday.

They have special places to park for the game because of the State Fair.

http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=38622&SPID=3296&DB_OEM_ID=8 400&ATCLID=561287

kchats
08-24-2006, 02:28 AM
The soccer match is listed as a live event on GoBison.com All Access for this Saturday at Minnesota. Minnesota must webcast their soccer matches. All Access members around the country will be able to watch as well.

cabis
08-24-2006, 02:30 AM
Thanks for the info tcbison. From the link it looks like we should get there early.

cabis
08-24-2006, 02:40 AM

OC, I agree that it is only preseason but it was definately not a scrimmage. It was a full game with all the same rules as a regular season game. If you look at the lineups it appears both teams used their projected starters for the majority of the game. While everybody got a look I think both coaches wanted to win. With preseason, spring and regular season, Creighton is becoming the Bison's most frequent rival. I would even hazzard a guess that most of the Bison players have played more games in Creighton's stadium than their own. I know our players certainly wanted to win.

tcbison
08-24-2006, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the info tcbison. From the link it looks like we should get there early.

I agree it will be important to get there early. If anyone is interested I have a couple extra coupons for buy one ticket get one free. I will have them with me. Look for the guy in the Tony Satter football jersey #26.

gwendel
08-27-2006, 07:39 PM
Minnesota 2, Bison 0 with 18:53 remaining.

Announced Attendance 862

gwendel
08-27-2006, 08:06 PM
Final Score:

Minnesota 2, Bison 0

Shots and saves deleted because of inaccuracies. My humble apologies. Just trying to read the scoreboard on
webcast. See gophersports.com official story at:
http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8400&ATCLID=576240

I only saw the last 19 minutes on the webcast. But it looked to me like the Bison were competitive.
With 19 min. left, just before Minnesota's second goal, it looked like the Gophers were all over the Bison,
but shortly after that, the Bison made a run and had a couple of good scoring opportunities. Minutes before the
game's completion, it looked like the Bison had an advantage over the Gophers. The last couple of minutes seemed kind of messy, though, with neither team really doing much.

That's just the way it seems to me. I'm not really very knowledgeable about college soccer.
It sure was fun to tune into the webcast, though. The opportunity gave me the push I needed to
renew my subscription to All Access.

For me, the video was a bit choppy, but overall, less stalling than last year during football. But this was a U of M
webcast. I hope the NDSU football webcasts are as good.

MinotBison
08-27-2006, 09:22 PM
Minnesota 2, Bison 0

UM: Shots on goal 7, saves 6
NDSU: Shots on goal 6, saves 5

How does the U of M goal keeper face 7 shots, make 6 saves and give up no goals?
Likewise, how does the Bison goal keeper face 6 shots, make 5 saves and give up two goals?

OCBison
08-27-2006, 10:30 PM
Minnesota 2, Bison 0

How does the U of *M goal keeper face 7 shots, make 6 saves and give up no goals?
Likewise, how does the Bison goal keeper face 6 shots, make 5 saves and give up two goals?

Was there anything listed under Team Saves?

That's where a defender is credited with making a save.

Missed the Gopher game but I will catch the NJIT game. Living in NYC now the commute will be a little easier to Jersey than to the Twin Cities.

gwendel
08-27-2006, 10:45 PM
Just trying to read the scoreboard on the webcast, which was admittedly hard.

A quote from the full story at gophersports.com:

Minnesota out-shot NDSU 12-8 on the day. Dare made five saves to post the shutout.

Full story at:

http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8400&ATCLID=576240

Gamehunter
08-28-2006, 02:06 AM
Minnesota 2, Bison 0

How does the U of M goal keeper face 7 shots, make 6 saves and give up no goals?

Minnesota's offense has 7 shots on goal. 5 of those NDSU saved.
NDSU has 6 shots on goal, while UM saved all 6.

MinotBison
08-28-2006, 02:57 AM
Minnesota 2, Bison 0

How does the U of *M goal keeper face 7 shots, make 6 saves and give up no goals?

Minnesota's offense has 7 shots on goal. *5 of those NDSU saved.
NDSU has 6 shots on goal, while UM saved all 6.

Duh. I thought it had to be something fairly straightforward like that, but wasn't sure. Thanks for straightening me out.

tcbison
08-28-2006, 01:51 PM
I was at the game on Sunday. It was a fairly even game. NDSU started out strong and was really controlling the ball well. Then at the end of the first half Minnesota went on a fury of shots and got one in with about a minute left. I was hoping that NDSU could get out the half tied. NDSU's best chances came late in the second half but the goalie made a couple of nice stops. Minnesota was much taller then NDSU. Even my niece and newphew pointed that out. Minnesota had a lot more corner shots than NDSU did as well.

There was a good amount of NDSU fans there. Capacity for the stadium is 1,000 and the announced attendance was 862.

Got to talk with Lynn Dorn for quite a while at the game. She said NDSU could hear something from the Mid-Con as early as this week or next week. I know they have a meeting time set up with President Chapman.

cabis
08-29-2006, 03:45 AM
In my opinion this was a very good game. The Bison were the better team for large portions of the game with momentum going back and forth. The game was very physical both ways with neither team being given much time on the ball. Overall the Bison looked better in possesion and moved the ball quite well until the final third where the Gophers were really pressuring the ball. The few times the strikers did have time and space they seemed to rush a bit and didn't get off their usual quality shots. That is probably a credit to the Gophers pressure.
I didnt think height was an issue at all as the Bison did an excellent job of clearing all the crosses to the point that the Gophers played their last few corners short to try to create on the ground. The one height thing that did supprize me a bit is the fact that the tallest player on the field, Chelsea Body, was used to take a lot of our free kicks rather than being the target. I thought she was moved from her original position of center back to striker this year to create an aerial target but she sure wasn,t used in that role. Strange.
The one thing that I thought showed up as a problem was depth. We looked a little thin in the back with the Gopher's main weapons, their strikers, really running at the wide channels. Two players that might be expected to have provided a bit more quickness in the back, Rand and Rozell, didn't see much action so must have been dinged up a little. A few of the freshmen got thrown into the fire so to speak and looked pretty good for the most part but a few blown coverages led to the best Gopher chances. It may pay dividends down the road but it would be nice to be able to pick the spots to get the experience in.
In general I think the Gophers are going to be a very good team and our performance against them was very encouraging. Baring injuries the Bison look set to have a very succesfull season.

mikelsch
08-29-2006, 04:19 PM
Chelsea Body has a rocket for a leg. *She nailed a free kick earlier this season and scored on a long shot as well. *It looks like her strength is taking the kicks rather than being set up in front of the goal by someone else.

I agree about the depth. *It's mainly young players that don't have a lot of experience...should get better as year progresses. *Some players are also dinged up. *

Great effort against Minnesota. *Game this Sunday at home against Mankato. *Next weekend is the Bison tourney with games against IUPUI and Weber State. *Weber is very good - they made it to the round of 32 last season. *NDSU lost to them last year 1-0 at their place --- game had 30 fouls, 5 yellow cards, and 1 ejection - coach Cuadrado. *If anyone wants to see some good soccer - 1:30 PM Sunday Sept 10, NDSU vs. Weber State.

sambini
08-31-2006, 09:12 PM
Thanks folks FOR THE INSIGHT+++++++++++++