PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting

cabis
02-06-2007, 02:07 AM
Signing day for soccer is this Wednesday. I have not been able to find any official info on NDSU verbals on any of the sites I know of which worries me a little. On the other hand the Bison are in pretty good shape heading into next year and there are rumors of 5 or six verbals so we will see on Wednesday. The Bison graduate only three seniors and only one full time starter, so as I said are in pretty good shape. As I see it the main recruiting needs are:

1. Goalkeeper- Freshman Monica Morgan played the bulk of the minutes last year, was solid and should only get better. The problem was backup Jess Nei re-injured her ACL late in the year and could possibly miss her senior season leaving the Bison with only one keeper on the roster. Most teams carry 3 so this is the most pressing need. One of the rumors I have heard is a keeper from California.

2. Central Defender - The graduation of Sarah Panzer leaves the one obvious hole in the starting lineup at central defence. Laura Murphy played a lot towards the end of the season and looks like a solid replacement. A late season injury to Jami Rozell will keep her out of sping ball so it will be interesting to see who gets a look in back. A couple of big fast defenders that are good in the air would help the bison defend set plays which hurt them at times last year.

3. Depth - The Bison had one of the smallest rosters in Division 1 last year at 18 after a few players enexpectedly left the team and a couple of new recruits were unavailable. We need a solid recruiting class and need all the existing players to return to get back to a more realistic roster number of 22-24.

Our top six scorers all return and the midfield will lose part time starter Erin Ellsworth. The coaches have focussed on midfielders and strikers the last two classes so the only real need here is the best available athletes and competitive depth.

The Bison will have 5 seniors not including Nei on the roster so will be loaded with leadership.

mikelsch
02-06-2007, 03:27 PM
Quin Ryan, the goal-scoring-machine, from Moorhead verballed earlier this fall according to the Forum. Haven't heard about any other specific recruits, but I know that Coach C is happy about his upcoming class to be announced tomorrow.

OCBison
02-06-2007, 09:01 PM
Quin Ryan, the goal-scoring-machine, from Moorhead verballed earlier this fall according to the Forum. *Haven't heard about any other specific recruits, but I know that Coach C is happy about his upcoming class to be announced tomorrow. *

Quin is a dynamic little player with an incredible competitive streak. She'll do well for the Bison.

tony
02-07-2007, 10:53 PM
NDSU signs four: GoBison.com (http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=787483)

Allie Radner is a 5-foot-11-inch goalkeeper for Los Alamitos High School. A three-year
letter-winner, Radner was a member of a high school squad which is sending
six members to play soccer collegiately including signees at Pepperdine, Arizona
and Cal Poly. Her prep team captured the 2005 California Interscholastic Federation
Division I champsionship in 2005. Radner was a member of the Palos Verdes
Soccer Club, a premier club in Los Angeles county. Allie is the daughter of Marc
and Elizabeth Radner.

Quin Ryan is the all-time leading scorer for Moorhead High School with 90 career
goals. Ryan led the team in points for four straight seasons. As a junior, Ryan netted
36 scores for a single-season school record. She was named to the St. Paul
Pioneer Press All-State team three consecutive seasons. Quin is the daughter of
Jay and Joy Ryan. She is undecided on her college major.

Abbey Stratton was selected all-state as a senior, scoring 14 goals and adding
11 assists while playing for Champlin Park High School. Stratton helped Champlin
Park to an undefeated regular season in 2006 before falling to Duluth East in the
Section 7AA fi nals. In club soccer, Stratton was a two-year captain for St. Croix
Eclectic and was a member of White Bear Lake Excel which captured a Minnesota
state championship in 2004. Abbey is the daughter of Mike and Cathy Stratton. She
is undecided on her college major.

A 5-foot-7-inch midfielder/forward, Marissa Wolfgram was a three-time all-conference
selection from Champlin Park High School after receieving honorable mention
honors as a freshman. Played as a midfi elder and a forward during her prep career,
Wolfgram guided Champlin Park to a 16-1-4 record as a senior captain. Played for
the St. Croix Ecectric club team which made it through to the state cup fi nals. Also
competed in track & fi eld for three seasons, running middles-distance events and
relays. Marissa is the daughter of Jerry and Kathy Wolfgram. Academic interests
include education.

sambini
02-08-2007, 04:05 AM
Abbey Stratton is the daughter of Mike Stratton. Former Bison all american football player. Played on the 1983 national championship team. Also BISON HALL OF FAMER. WELCOME TO NDSU ABBEY AND OTHER LADY SOCCER RECRUITS.

cabis
02-09-2007, 04:50 PM
Interesting but small class. Did a little research and here's my take FWIW.
Allie Radner is freom THE hotbed of soccer in Southern Cal. She has been the 3rd string keeper at Los Alimitos High School the last two years which is a little concerning at first but... LAHS is currently ranked 8th in the country. The starter is ranked in the top 5 senior keepers and the back-up in the top 5 juniors in the country. She also played for Palos Verdes which is the top team in the second tier of the Coast Soccer League. The CSL is undoubtedly the best girls league in the country. She is not on this year's roster so is a bit of a mystery. Would be interested to hear how the coaches tracked her down. If this starts a pipeline into SoCal it would be huge for the Bison. Good size and great competitive experience.
Quin Ryan has great numbers playing for Moorhead High School. If she can make the big step to Division 1 competition it will be great for the Bison to have a local drawing card. Excellent potential but a big step up in competition.
Abbey Stratton looks like the real deal. Good numbers and All State with a good HS team and captain of a great club team. St Croix has 9 other players comitted to Division 1 teams that I can see, 5 to U of M, 1 to Boston U, 1 to Georgetown, 1 to Creighton and 1 to Providence. Also as Sambini pointed out a great NDSU pedigree. Hopefully her Dad can get some more teammakers out to the games!
Marissa Wolfgram comes from the same HS and club as Abbey. 3 time all-conf in HS and great club experience. She should also fight for playing time right away.

We have not filled the defender holes or added the numbers I was hoping to see but late signings are very common in soccer so I am sure Pete still has a few aces up his sleeve. If you look at Pete's last 2 classes his late signings have included Jestina Orlando, Becky Iwanicki, Nicole Rand and Monica Morgan, all starters and impact players in 2006.
So far this looks like a great class with hopefully more to come!

Hammersmith
02-09-2007, 10:16 PM
Nice Kolpack column on Quin Ryan:

Recruit displays drive (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=155888&section=Columnists&columnist=J eff%20Kolpack)

TheDoctor
02-10-2007, 06:10 AM
Nice Kolpack column on Quin Ryan:

Recruit displays drive (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=155888&section=Columnists&columnist=J eff%20Kolpack)

Pete could not say enough good things about her on Tuesday night! She will be solid! :)

sambini
02-10-2007, 02:38 PM
What a kid that Quin Ryan is after reading the Kolpack story.

Trimmy
02-12-2007, 09:17 PM
Abbey Stratton is the daughter of Mike Stratton. Former Bison all american *football player. Played on the 1983 national championship team. Also BISON HALL OF FAMER. WELCOME TO NDSU ABBEY AND OTHER LADY SOCCER RECRUITS.

Mike Stratton = Trim's junior high PE teacher and Sophmore FB coach at West Fargo.

I remember seeing Abbey when she was like, 2 years old. Had know idea she was such a soccer player.

D_One_here_we_come
02-13-2007, 05:05 AM
Great begining to the Soccer Recruiting Class! I am sure their will be more to come. Quin is a solid forward who can score. Abbey looks like she can play a lot of spots. Marissa is the wildcard! And Ali looks like she can come in and fight for time right away!

cabis
02-20-2007, 08:57 PM
The Bison had Marti Klinsing, a U of M transfer prospect in for a visit over the weekend. She is from Wayzata High School and was a sophomore this year with the gophers. She started 17 0f 19 games for the Gophers this year with the majority of her time in central defence. With Sarah Panzer's graduation, this is the one remaining hole in the Bison starting lineup yet to be filled. Hope Pete can get her inked.

DenverBison05
02-20-2007, 10:10 PM
The Bison had Marti Klinsing, a U of M transfer prospect in for a visit over the weekend. She is from Wayzata High School and was a sophomore this year with the gophers. She started 17 0f 19 games for the Gophers this year with the majority of her time in central defence. With Sarah Panzer's graduation, this is the one remaining hole in the Bison starting lineup yet to be filled. Hope Pete can get her inked.

If she is a transfer, then doesn't she have to sit out a year?

tcTatanka
02-21-2007, 04:36 AM
Not if she has a UMN release.

Bison_Dan
02-21-2007, 01:04 PM

Why is she leaving the Gophers?

mikelsch
02-21-2007, 02:56 PM
Only football and m/w basketball players have to sit out a year when transferring from one DI school to another.

DenverBison05
02-21-2007, 03:43 PM
Only football and m/w basketball players have to sit out a year when transferring from one DI school to another.

Thanks, I did not realize that, and was to lazy to go and look up the rules.

cabis
02-21-2007, 05:12 PM

Why is she leaving the Gophers?
Not sure specifically but have heard numerous times that the Gophers coach can be pretty hard to get along with. Thats usually more of an issue if the player isn't getting much play time but that certainly was not the case with Klinsing. We had Karli Kolpiets (sp?) transfer over two years ago. She went from the Gophers defensive MVP as a freshman to backup keeper after an injury as a soph. She was an outstanding player and could have started for most teams in the nation so hopefully we get a similar situation here.

cabis
02-21-2007, 05:17 PM

I think they still need a release from the original school as well.

mikelsch
02-21-2007, 06:14 PM

True for scholarship players

cabis
03-18-2007, 08:39 PM
Does anyone know how many scolarships we have available for soccer? The NCAA limit is 14 but are we fully funded?

OCBison
03-20-2007, 10:32 PM

True for scholarship players

Kind of true.

Except for in the above mentioned sports all student-athletes (whether scholarship or walk-on) need to get a release signed when they transfer schools or they will have to sit out a year.

If they're denied a release the school must provide the student-athlete must a hearing.

cabis
04-19-2007, 04:11 PM
Apparently Marti Klinsing the potential U of M transfer has signed with Mankato. Too bad as she could have been a good addition.
On another sour note, Jestina Orlando and Ali Raemaker have been given releases and have left the team. Raemaker was a freshman and did not see much play time last year. Orlando was one of our best players and I believe started every game in her two years with the Bison. She will be hard to replace. I sure hope Pete has some good ones still to come or we could be awfully short next fall.

OCBison
04-20-2007, 11:31 AM
Apparently Marti Klinsing the potential U of M transfer has signed with Mankato. Too bad as she could have been a good addition.
On another sour note, Jestina Orlando and Ali Raemaker have been given releases and have left the team. Raemaker was a freshman and did not see much play time last year. Orlando was one of our best players and I believe started every game in her two years with the Bison. She will be hard to replace. I sure hope Pete has some good ones still to come or we could be awfully short next fall.

I think Marti's older sister, Danni, attended MSU-Mankato. Danni had loads of pace and I'm sure Marti is just the same.

ndsoccerfan
04-26-2007, 03:42 PM
Here is an interesting link to a recruiting class ranking. I must say I didn't expect the bison to be where they are. I know that it is just a list but I am a little surprised because IIRC they were ranked at the top of the United Conference last season. Is the Mid-Con soccer that much better than the USC?

Link: http://www.soccerbuzz.com/recruits07/confbreakdownA.htm

Blue
04-26-2007, 04:34 PM
Here is an interesting link to a recruiting class ranking. I must say I didn't expect the bison to be where they are. I know that it is just a list but I am a little surprised because IIRC they were ranked at the top of the United Conference last season. Is the Mid-Con soccer that much better than the USC?

Link: http://www.soccerbuzz.com/recruits07/confbreakdownA.htm

I'm not sure if better is the proper term to use. Doing some research for an article for the student paper down here next fall and have found some interesting things. The Mid-Con is a weak soccer conference. Two teams last year finished above .500. The conference champion Oakland 8-11-1, were predicted to finish at the top but struggled during the season. I see the Bison having a good year in the Mid-Con, unfortunately the fact the SU's are still transitioning hurts the Bison more than it does us down here. The Bison in my eyes are slightly better than us and would be competing for a top spot in the conference and NCAA tourney play if not for Transitioning.

cabis
05-04-2007, 06:36 PM
I'm not sure if better is the proper term to use. Doing some research for an article for the student paper down here next fall and have found some interesting things. The Mid-Con is a weak soccer conference. Two teams last year finished above .500. The conference champion Oakland 8-11-1, were predicted to finish at the top but struggled during the season. I see the Bison having a good year in the Mid-Con, unfortunately the fact the SU's are still transitioning hurts the Bison more than it does us down here. The Bison in my eyes are slightly better than us and would be competing for a top spot in the conference and NCAA tourney play if not for Transitioning.

The MidCon is about the same in soccer as it is in basketball and other sports. It will be rated somewhere between 15 and 22 depending on the year. The arrival of the SU's and IPFW will make it better. Regardless it is a significantly better conference than the United Soccer conference which was rated at 27.
The ranking of our recruiting class is more a reflection of the percieved quality and small quantity of the class. Right or wrong a lot of the recruit ranking is based on club performance and ODP/national experience something this small class is short of. Based on that, this class would not have rated very highly in the United conference either. My hope is that this class shows better on the field than they do on "paper".

Hammersmith
06-16-2007, 12:55 PM
A new addition:
Bison soccer signs New Mexico player (http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/168931)
Candice D’Arcangeli

sambini
06-17-2007, 04:41 AM
Welcome to NDSU Candice++++

Greenie
06-28-2007, 04:11 PM
Nice story on the new soccer recruit, Candice D'Arcangeli
http://www.news-bulletin.com/sports/72292-06-27-07.html

OCBison
06-28-2007, 08:53 PM
Great story.

She sounds like a good kid.

cabis
07-26-2007, 07:10 PM
Good addition. All the new players should get a chance to play right away.
On a sad note Chelsea Body tore her ACL just before the spring tournament at Minnesota and had surgery in early May. She is pushing the rehab hard but chances are she will miss most if not all the season.

Bisonguy
07-27-2007, 12:00 AM
From the BisonZone blog-http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/?blog=10877

Talked to Pete Cuadrado about soccer recruiting. He says he's got 10 verbals for the 2008 class. They will sign in February. And he's really stoked about this group. Says it's the best class he's had by far. A couple of Twin Cities metro kids that are serious players, and the kind of kids, on the whole, that can help them do some damage in the Summit he thinks. Ole Pete had a gleam in his eye about this gang.....

SDbison
07-27-2007, 02:19 PM
From the BisonZone blog-http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/?blog=10877

So will Pete release the names of some or all of the verbals like they often do in football and basketball?

tony
07-27-2007, 02:25 PM
So will Pete release the names of some or all of the verbals like they often do in football and basketball?

Nope. It's against NCAA rules for coaches to talk about verbal commitments. We only hear about them (verbals) when the students involved talk to reporters.

OCBison
07-28-2007, 11:37 AM
Nope. It's against NCAA rules for coaches to talk about verbal commitments. We only hear about them (verbals) when the students involved talk to reporters.

Or when someone speaking on behalf of the students speaks to reporters and/or a message board.

What would be the harm in doing that BisonGuy?

Bisonguy
07-28-2007, 02:00 PM
Or when someone speaking on behalf of the students speaks to reporters and/or a message board.

What would be the harm in doing that BisonGuy?

Correct. If Pete or Hallstrom had mentioned names it would be a violation.

TheDoctor
08-04-2007, 05:40 AM
Talked to Pete today and practice starts Monday! Good luck ladies! ;)

sambini
08-06-2007, 03:53 AM
Good Luck Bison

cabis
08-09-2007, 04:51 PM
Rumour has it that Allie Radner the Freshman goalkeeper from California has an ACL injury and will redshirt the season. The good news is it sounds like senior Jess Nei has come back from her late season injury and will be ready to go.