PDA

View Full Version : Spring Soccer

cabis
02-22-2007, 06:51 AM
The herd travels to Iowa this weekend for the first spring games of the year. We play Iowa, Iowa alumni and Missouri in 9 v 9 indoor games. Its a good thing that its only 9 v9 because the Bison will be a little short staffed. Jess Nei and Jami Rozelle are out for the entire spring with ACL's and Chelsea Body will miss at least this weekend after surgery to clean up last year's ACL remnants.
This will be our first look at Redshirt Freshman Alison Feders and Ali Ramaeker sounds like she has made great strides so there is some excitement to see how they show.
This will be a really good acid test against some top level competition. I expect good things from the team this year and this will be a great start to the preseason.

ndsoccerfan
02-28-2007, 12:46 AM
Cabis any word on how the trip to Iowa went?

sambini
02-28-2007, 01:16 AM
Did they get the games in with the bad weather in IOWA last weekend. Power outages all over the place. Ice storms and snow. Soccer weather...

ndsoccerfan
02-28-2007, 02:27 PM
The games were indoor in the "Iowa Bubble" so I'm sure they played, assuming that they were able to get there.

sambini
02-28-2007, 04:36 PM
IF they got back. Any results Cabis ?

cabis
03-01-2007, 05:10 AM
The Bison went 1-2 on the weekend. They beat Iowa alumni 3-1, lost to Iowa 2-0 in a game they dominated and lost 4-0 to Missouri ina game which was about what the score indicated. Would have been nice to get one more win but it was a decent showing against solid opposition.
They got there with no problem but had to stay an extra day due to the ice storms. Definately a good case for an indoor practice facility!

sambini
03-02-2007, 04:00 AM
Thanks Cabis for the info.

TheDoctor
03-02-2007, 06:48 AM
Thanks Cabis for the info.

++++++++++++++ ;)

sambini
03-04-2007, 02:27 PM
How long is the spring season? How many games do they end up playing?

cabis
03-05-2007, 03:06 AM
How long is the spring season? How many games do they end up playing?
The NCAA allows 4 spring competition days. We played last weekend in Iowa, are scheduled for an indoor tourney at St Cloud March 24, Bison home outdoor tourney April 21 and at U Minn on April 29. The indoor events usually schedule 3 short, ie 60 minute, games per team and are usually not full sided games. The Iowa event was 9 v 9. The outdoor events will be 3 or 4 short or 2 full length games per team.
I don't know who is coming to the NDSU event but it has typically been top club or all star teams that we are trying to recruit from. I am not sure of the wisdom of that because there are no locker rooms at the soccer field. The locker rooms are in the BBF close to a mile away and there are not enough for a multi team event like this. It really doesn't put our facilities in a very good light to the potential recruits.
The Minnesota tournament has us scheduled to play U of M and Northwestern. These are full games and would be good for anyone in the cities to get out to see.

ndsoccerfan
03-05-2007, 02:32 PM
I beleive that the NCAA allows 5 dates of spring competition

sambini
03-05-2007, 11:43 PM
Thanks Cabis+++

Hammersmith
03-06-2007, 02:23 AM
And the winner is...

ndsoccerfan

17.20.5.1 Maximum Limitations — Institutional. A member institution shall limit its total playing schedule with outside competition in soccer during the institution’s soccer playing season in any one year to 20 contests during the segment in which the NCAA championship is conducted and five dates of competition during another segment, except for those contests and/or dates of competition excluded under Bylaws 17.20.5.3, 17.20.5.4 and 17.20.5.5.

cabis
03-07-2007, 08:32 PM
And the winner is...

ndsoccerfan

17.20.5.1 Maximum Limitations — Institutional. A member institution shall limit its total playing schedule with outside competition in soccer during the institution’s soccer playing season in any one year to 20 contests during the segment in which the NCAA championship is conducted and five dates of competition during another segment, except for those contests and/or dates of competition excluded under Bylaws 17.20.5.3, 17.20.5.4 and 17.20.5.5.
I stand corrected! :-[ :-[ :)

sambini
03-16-2007, 08:29 AM
Where are the Bison ladies playing again this spring?

cabis
03-18-2007, 08:33 PM
Where are the Bison ladies playing again this spring?
We play this Saturday March 24 at St Cloud. Can't find out who else is playing but it will probably be 2 or 3 shorter indoor games against Division II schools.
Next up is our spring tournament on April 21 against again TBA. Hopefully we can get some good teams to come to Fargo. Will keep you posted if I hear anything.
Finally we play on April 29 at UofM against UW-Green Bay and the Gophers. The game that was previously scheduled against Northwestern has been changed to UW-Green Bay.

cabis
03-22-2007, 05:04 PM
http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=11945&SPID=699&DB_OEM_ID=24 00&ATCLID=831698
Bison are splitting into two teams for this weekend's tournament in St Cloud. The games are short (40 minute) 7 V 7 games. Each team will play 3 games then go into a playoff. We only have one keeper on the roster so it sounds like Chelsea Body will play goal for one of the teams.
Of interest to some, the other teams involved are St Cloud, Mankato and UND??!. Could add a little spice to an otherwise low key exhibition matchup.

sambini
04-01-2007, 03:39 AM
What is after St.Cloud?

cabis
04-17-2007, 04:33 AM
What is after St.Cloud?
We just added a game against Northern State for this Wednesday night. It and the home tournament this Saturday are being held at the Pepsi soccer complex out by the airport. I have no idea why they aren't using the Ellig field. Are there better facilities out there ie dressing rooms? Anyone have any insight?
The tournament this weekend will host Bemidji State, NDSU Alumni and a U-18 team from Winnipeg. Our pipeline into Winnipeg seems to have dried up a bit in the last couple years so hopefully this will help.

imabison
04-17-2007, 11:37 PM
What is after St.Cloud?
We just added a game against Northern State for this Wednesday night. It and the home tournament this Saturday are being held at the Pepsi soccer complex out by the airport. I have no idea why they aren't using the Ellig field. Are there better facilities out there ie dressing rooms? Anyone have any insight?
The tournament this weekend will host Bemidji State, NDSU Alumni and a U-18 team from Winnipeg. Our pipeline into Winnipeg seems to have dried up a bit in the last couple years so hopefully this will help.
I would think its might be hard to play a tournament on 1 field, where as up on Pepsi Field they can play several at a time.

sambini
04-19-2007, 06:03 AM
GOOD LUCK THIS WEEKEND.

cabis
04-19-2007, 04:03 PM
The Bison beat Northern State 2-1 last night. In a previous post I mentioned we needed to revive the Winnipeg pipeline. Last night's goal scorers were Michelle Martinez and Patty Romeo. Both will be seniors next fall and both are from Winnipeg. The game was at the Pepsi soccer complex which has lights allowing for the later kickoff.
Good luck this weekend!

OCBison
04-20-2007, 11:36 AM
The Bison beat Northern State 2-1 last night. In a previous post I mentioned we needed to revive the Winnipeg pipeline. Last night's goal scorers were Michelle Martinez and Patty Romeo. Both will be seniors next fall and both are from Winnipeg. The game was at the Pepsi soccer complex which has lights allowing for the later kickoff.
Good luck this weekend!

I'm sure Tara Sweeney would be pleased to know that she started a pipeline from Winnipeg to Fargo. And we all thought the Red River flowed north. ;D

ndsoccerfan
04-22-2007, 07:56 PM
Anyone know if they were able to play yesterday?

cabis
04-22-2007, 09:43 PM
Anyone know if they were able to play yesterday?
They played three games yesterday. The games were I believe 30 minute halves, so a little shorter than normal. The pitch was water logged for the first game at 9:30 AM but got better through out the day. The Bison beat the Winnipeg team 3-2 in the opener in a game with not much flow due to the standing water on the field. They then beat Bemidji 1-0 in a game the Bison dominated but couldn't score. The final game was against the Bison Alumni and the current team beat the Alums 2-0. It was the first full sided outdoor games the team has played this spring so it was a pretty good effort.
They play the U of M and UW Green Bay next Saturday in Minneapolis. That should be a couple of good tests in full length games.

sambini
04-22-2007, 10:21 PM
Thanks Cabis for the updates+++

cabis
04-26-2007, 12:35 AM
In my previous post I said the games were this Saturday. That is incorrect; they are on Sunday.
We play UW Green Bay at 11 AM and Uof M at 3 PM. If anyone is in the cities this weekend it should be good soccer. These are full length regulation games so will be fun to watch. There are directions to the stadium on the gopher website.
Go Bison!

sambini
04-26-2007, 09:06 AM
Good Luck Bison+++

tcTatanka
04-30-2007, 03:09 AM
The Bison ended their season strong and upbeat with stellar performances from the entire team; defeating UW-Green Bay 4-0 and holding the Gophers to a 0-0 tie in an extremely chippy afternoon match. During the Gopher match, the Bison maintained their composure (and jerseys) in what was an extremely physical and balanced contest, with Morgan producing one of her best performances of the year.

The Bison and the Gophers, both with 1-0-1 records finished ahead of the Jacks and WI-Green Bay, however our ladies edged out Minnesota with a 4 goal differential to the their 1. OUTSTANDING!

D_One_here_we_come
04-30-2007, 04:34 AM
Got to see the games today and the Bison looked sharp and outplayed both teams. Green Bay was a 4-0 joke as the Bison steamrolled! Against the Gophers NDSU had the better of the attack, although the Gophers had a good shot (middle of the 2nd half)that NDSU's GK had to come up with a great save. Not bad for 14 healthy players! Can't wait till the fall! Congrats to the BISON winning the tournament that concluded:

1. NDSU - Champs!!!
2. Minnesota
3. Northwestern
4. SDSU
5. Green Bay

cabis
05-04-2007, 06:41 PM
Great way for the Bison to end the spring season, as champions of the Gopher Spring Classic!! Sounds like an overall excellent effort. I can't wait for the fall!

sambini
05-05-2007, 10:52 PM
Congrats to the Bison. Also thanks Cabis for your insight+++

TheDoctor
06-05-2007, 05:58 AM
Congrats to the Bison. Also thanks Cabis for your insight+++

Cabis is a GREAT Soccer mind.................;)